• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IG-NXGamer - Resident Evil 2, 3 & 7 Remake Update: Performance Review

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Capcom's RE Engine has been a revelation on the PS4 and Xbox One generation. Offering 60fps and high quality visuals, now it improves that further.

Thanks to a free patch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Series S, the Resident Evil 2 remake update adds Ray Tracing or 120fps which improves the visual quality. The Resident Evil 3 remake update also includes the same new modes which improve visuals or input response. Finally, the oldest title here in Resident Evil 7 update includes the same new modes, with mixed results. We dive into the Resident Evil Ray Tracing Patch update across the trio of current generation machines to see how the Ray Tracing update and 120fps update works and which mode is best.

0:00 Intro
0:32 Games updated and what is new
1:27 Resident Evil VII
7:47 Resident Evil 2: Remake
13:57 Resident Evil 3: Remake

Last edited:

adamsapple

TL;DR

- REVII -

-RT reflections are mixed, some areas have less reflections than SSR, some areas have too many reflections.
- RT GI is generally an improvement with no real negatives to talk about.
- SS 1440p, SX and PS5 2160p on all modes.
- Non RT mode: same as last gen with new higher resolutions and high frame rate targets 120hz
- PS5 and SX are basically perfect in all modes in their frame rate targets
- Series S is very close with more drops in RT and 120hz mode. RT can drop to 50s and 120hz can drop to 90~100 range.

- RE2 -

- RT GI and reflections benefit better here than REVII
- PS5|SX and SS taget same resolutions (2160p and 1440p respectively) in RT and non RT 60hz mode.
- 120hz mode drops 10% resolution on PS5|SX and roughly 1260p on SS
- 120hz mode also turns off AO and per objection motion blur
- In RT mode PS5|SX can trade 7% performance over each other in game play and cut-scenes with SX having some 150ms "hangs"
- Series S drops more and often hangs in the 30s.
- 120hz performance mode is NXG's preferred way. Same as RT mode, either console can trade performance.
- Non RT 60hz mode is basically 100% locked.

- RE3 -

- Has the best RT reflections
- SX and PS5 target 2160p in all modes, SS targets 1260p in all modes.
- RT mode has somewhat more drops in NXG's testing compared to RE2
- PS5 can slightly run worse than SX in all modes, unlike RE2.
- Series S RT mode again hangs in the 30 range more often.
- NXG again says 120hz is his preferred way to play.

Banned
bass GIF

we are young text GIF

dj drop GIF by Naeleck

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Wait you can turn RT on and off? I only played parts of re2 on ss, never had any drops but still at the start of the game

adamsapple

Wait you can turn RT on and off? I only played parts of re2 on ss, never had any drops but still at the start of the game

Yes, if you keep both RT and high frame rate off, you get essentially a locked 60 FPS running in last gen settings.

Kuranghi

I don't get think those trades off for the 120hz modes in RE2/3 are worth it, you dont actually ever really get 120fps and you lose a ton of spatial resolution, AO (!) and OB motion blur, its a soft game that doesnt really need sharp IQ to look fantastic (or maybe it helps hide imperfections even) so fair enough on the res but the latter two are absolutely essential parts of the visual experience of the game to me, it would be like if someone offered me my favourite film but said "its the same film as except its a bit stuttery and the cinematography and lighting aren't as good, cool yeah?" Well no actually, its not really the same film anymore and I have no interest in seeing that.

Its what you know you're missing though I suppose so if you've never seen it the other way then not as big a deal, if you aren't a pixel-nerd who just knows that its not how it could look given the state of the art.

More and more I'm thinking (optimised) max settings in a game are the most important, followed by resolution and then framerate. The latter two affect the lens through will you see the game, spatially and temporally, if there no AO or motion blur then no matter how high the resolution or framerate is because nothing looks or moves as was intended through that perfect, blur-free window.

Each to their own though of course, different people have different wants/priorities and with this much choice everyone can enjoy it the way they want, which is superb. Thats par for the course on PC so great to see consolers be able to enjoy that too.

TL;DR

- REVII -

-RT reflections are mixed, some areas have less reflections than SSR, some areas have too many reflections.
- RT GI is generally an improvement with no real negatives to talk about.
- SS 1440p, SX and PS5 2160p on all modes.
- Non RT mode: same as last gen with new higher resolutions and high frame rate targets 120hz
- PS5 and SX are basically perfect in all modes in their frame rate targets
- Series S is very close with more drops in RT and 120hz mode. RT can drop to 50s and 120hz can drop to 90~100 range.

- RE2 -

- RT GI and reflections benefit better here than REVII
- PS5|SX and SS taget same resolutions (2160p and 1440p respectively) in RT and non RT 60hz mode.
- 120hz mode drops 10% resolution on PS5|SX and roughly 1260p on SS
- 120hz mode also turns off AO and per objection motion blur
- In RT mode PS5|SX can trade 7% performance over each other in game play and cut-scenes with SX having some 150ms "hangs"
- Series S drops more and often hangs in the 30s.
- 120hz performance mode is NXG's preferred way. Same as RT mode, either console can trade performance.
- Non RT 60hz mode is basically 100% locked.

- RE3 -

- Has the best RT reflections
- SX and PS5 target 2160p in all modes, SS targets 1260p in all modes.
- RT mode has somewhat more drops in NXG's testing compared to RE2
- PS5 can slightly run worse than SX in all modes, unlike RE2.
- Series S RT mode again hangs in the 30 range more often.
- NXG again says 120hz is his preferred way to play.
It’s nice he mentioned in re2 120hz there are settings downgrades compared to the other modes unlike digital foundry who word for word said it was jsut a framerate unlock. Absolute joke they are still taken as credible

Needs a performance RT mode at 1440p or similar. Currently, 120hz is my choice as well.
No cause this will scale on future hardware and be a fine enough experience for current players on vrr screens
I don't get think those trades off for the 120hz modes in RE2/3 are worth it, you dont actually ever really get 120fps and you lose a ton of spatial resolution, AO (!) and OB motion blur, its a soft game that doesnt really need sharp IQ to look fantastic (or maybe it helps hide imperfections even) so fair enough on the res but the latter two are absolutely essential parts of the visual experience of the game to me, it would be like if someone offered me my favourite film but said "its the same film as except its a bit stuttery and the cinematography and lighting aren't as good, cool yeah?" Well no actually, its not really the same film anymore and I have no interest in seeing that.

Its what you know you're missing though I suppose so if you've never seen it the other way then not as big a deal, if you aren't a pixel-nerd who just knows that its not how it could look given the state of the art.

More and more I'm thinking (optimised) max settings in a game are the most important, followed by resolution and then framerate. The latter two affect the lens through will you see the game, spatially and temporally, if there no AO or motion blur then no matter how high the resolution or framerate is because nothing looks or moves as was intended through that perfect, blur-free window.

Each to their own though of course, different people have different wants/priorities and with this much choice everyone can enjoy it the way they want, which is superb. Thats par for the course on PC so great to see consolers be able to enjoy that too.
its only re2 from what I remember where there is a settings and res downgrade going 120hz the others retain everything except the rt

Top Bottom