• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: 10 Best Star Wars Video Games of All Time

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With the release of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, we look back at the best Star Wars video games of all time and rank them to see which games are the best in the galaxy.

• 🎮 The first game mentioned is Star Wars: Dark Forces, a first-person shooter that features solid graphics and level design, and introduced Kyle Katarn, a major character in Star Wars video games for years to come.
    [*]🎮 Star Wars Battlefront 2 is praised for its engaging single-player story mode and the addition of playable heroes and villains like Darth Vader and prequel era Obi-Wan, and space assault.
    [*]🎮 Knights of the Old Republic 2 has an unfinished release but still has fans who have restored much of its cut content. Its story features a darker take on Bioware's approach to KOTOR, with its main character being the Jedi Exile.
    [*]🎮 Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is a recent single-player game that is one of the best. Players control Padawan Cal Kestis as he tries to complete his training and rebuild the Jedi Order, and the game features a soulsborne S combat system that can be challenging but rewarding to master.
    [*]🎮 Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader is an unrepentant arcade game that pitted players against waves of TIE fighters in a variety of familiar Star Wars settings. It also includes bonus ships and missions, and is considered one of the best Star Wars and GameCube games ever.
    [*]🎮 Jedi Outcast is another game featuring Kyle Katarn, this time embracing the force. The game features a lightsaber combat system that allows players to chain together force powers with different lightsaber stances, making every encounter feel intense.
    [*]🎮 Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is the latest entry in the Lego Star Wars series and is considered a return to form. It allows players to play as almost any character in the Star Wars universe and play

kyussman

Overall I think Star Wars video games have been a huge missed opportunity.Honestly,the most fun I've had was with the first Battlefront reboot game.Playing a lot of those maps it really felt like being a rebel soldier/stromtrooper in battle......controversial opinion I'm sure,lol.

RAIDEN1

No Republic Commando that game was and still is the best "bad-batch" esque title that has been released to this day. Also the list reminds you of the HUGE missed opportunity that was in not releasing a point and click adventure in the Star Wars universe akin to Fate of Atlantis

drganon

T
star-wars-trilogy-arcade-rental.jpg

The true best Star wars game.

Killer8

No Bounty Hunter?

That's a game that's begging for a modern version especially give the success of The Mandalorian.

fatmarco

Overall I think Star Wars video games have been a huge missed opportunity.Honestly,the most fun I've had was with the first Battlefront reboot game.Playing a lot of those maps it really felt like being a rebel soldier/stromtrooper in battle......controversial opinion I'm sure,lol.
They've literally made over 100 Star Wars games across almost every genre, platform, and decade, many of which are generally considered to be some of the best games of all time.

How is that a missed opportunity lol.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I look at Star Wars games as AAA every time I play them they’re fun yes they have issues but give them a nod.

Patrick S.

Banned
It's one of those list written by someone who's first console was a PlayStation or N64.

Super Star wars, Shadows of the Empire, X-wing vs Tie Fighter and the Atari Star wars arcade game should be on that list.
Yeah. Tie-Fighter used to be in the number one spot of many "best PC games of all time" list, period, not just best Star Wars games. For years.

Last edited:
How timely - I just played through Fallen Order for the first time and am replaying Dark Forces II Jedi Knight (with the fan Remastered patch) right now. Still such a great game. Hard to say, but I can list some of my favorites for sure:

Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Leader, Star Wars Rebellion, Jedi Knight. That's what comes to mind immediately. I wasn't as big a fan of Jedi Outcast as I was Jedi Knight, but I'm planning on going back and trying that again after I beat Jedi Knight, it's been a loooong time.

kunonabi

For me

Rogue Leader
Shadows of the Empire
The Clone Wars
Battlefront II(OG)
Tie Fighter
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Star Wars Trilogy Arcade
Super Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: Empire at War
Star Wars Bounty Hunter

Not a fan of fps games so no dark forces for me.

brian0057

Banned
No Force Unleashed?
No Republic Commando?
No X-Wing Alliance?
No Jedi Academy?
But both Star Wars Jedi games make the list?

Yeah, it sure is an IGN list.

Poordevil

The only Star Wars game I played and really got into was Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast.
I thought it was a very well done Star Wars game. Some of the puzzle solving was frustrating / annoying, but other than that, I thought it was a great game!

It did a perfect job of capturing the Star Wars universe. Excellent Light Saber action and Force Powers you could arm your character with. PC version had this hack or mod to type in that allowed Light Saber demembering. Cut off limbs, cut torsos in half. It was wild!

Great level design and music added to the game's appeal. Overall an excellent action game. Being set in the Star Wars universe was a feather in the cap.

CashPrizes

Decent list.
Tie-Fighter should be #1, but there is a lot of Kotor love so I could see it at #2, #3 is too low.
I would have "Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2" on there over Dark Forces 1 or Jedi Knight II.
People clamoring for Super Star Wars.... those games are a good time but they aren't actually like.... amazing games or anything.
I would have Old Republic on there for sure, some of the best most immersive Star War stories ever, it like like 8 mass effect games all in 1. The endgame was awful but playing through each of the 8 unique campaigns and building your crew and starship and the PVP was great too.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Wait, did I miss Tie Fighter or the expansion here? even X-wing?

I can't take this list seriously, full of regency bias. I don't disagree with Dark Forces or KOTOR2 or Fallen Order. Overall, it's not a bad list but missing some heavy hitters including Sega Arcade.

For me, it will always be Jedi Academy. The multiplayer and the community at the time was great.

One of those games were the quirks of the engine allowed people to come up with different fighting styles that actually enhanced it.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Classic Lego Star Wars is way better than the Skywalker Saga version. Skywalker Saga is crazy busy and not intuitive to figure out all the collectables and all the systems etc. Classic is great though.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
People working at IGN were only born a few years ago and obviously never played the best Star Wars games. They just kinda heard about kotor and the others and just put them there, doubt they played anything older than 5 years.

SCB3

I mean the fact we don't have any Mandalorian game at all or even rumored speaks volumes, I still pine for 1313, that game had so much going for it

Also give me a more up to date Galactic Battlegrounds or even a XCOM style Republic Commando like game

Top Bottom