• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: 10 Most Terrifying Scares in Video Games

trikster40

That entire list was crap. I wouldn’t put any of those on the top 10 scariest moments of all time. Seriously, scared of the crab people in Half Life 2?? Only one I’d agree with is P.T. Only game I’ve legit screamed.

Ive played scarier games with scarier moments than those this year alone.

edit: And maybe the dogs in Resident Evil.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Dead Space 1 was the most creepy game for me personally.
The atmosphere was perfect and kept you on edge all the time.

DogofWar

Silent Hill 1 -3 and Resident Evil 1 - 2. The thread.

The only modern example:

Look behind you. I said. Look behind you!

I screamed like a bitch

EDIT: Since there was no summary and I don't feel like pausing my music I just wrote something I thought was relevant. Post summaries when you make threads like this!

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Alien Isolation.

The scene immediately after Axel is killed by the Alien & the player must wait for the tram. It's terror on steroids tbh. You can hear it in the vents & the damned tram takes forever to get there.

*Backstory* I'm absolutely terrified of the Alien movies.

Nothing has every scared me as much as Alien Versus Predator on PC where you're the marine and youre in the ventilation shaft, and you can hear a xeno, and you come up to a junction that goes left and right. Never did finish that game.

SinDelta

I actually had a serious scare from Tomb Raider on Saturn, but it wasn't the t-rex, it was the first time you encounter a gorilla. The thing shuffles around a medium sized two tier room mostly silent. And then it grunted at me as it was rushing me from behind AHHHHH LOL.

The t-rex wasn't scary at all because they had pictures of it on the box and they telegraphed it coming so it wasn't as intense a moment.

What about your personal number 9 was scary? I just replayed this and am struggling to think what might be scary. Possibly the shark?
It was going onto the ice with the giant shark.

salva

My top 3:

The first encounter with the Licker in RE2. Did not sleep for days.

The face that appears on a wall in Silent Hill. Can't remember which one.

and..

Alma. GTFO.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus

Once again, with feeling:

ET Phone Home (Atari 800): Wonderfully creepy atmosphere as you wander around an empty neighborhood at night in search of phone pieces. Meanwhile, government agents stalk you to the tune of the Jaws theme. When you return all phone pieces to ET, he speaks to you with a horrible demonic voice from hell. I played this late one evening many years ago, and I can tell you that moment scared me out of my wits.

Rescue on Fractalus (Atari 800): Early Lucasfilm Games classic where you rescue downed pilots on an alien world. The catch is that sometimes, those pilots turn out to be gruesome aliens who pop in front of your window in a classic jump scare, then kill you if you don't turn on the afterburners quickly enough.

Mountain King (Atari 800): You explore underground caverns in search of gold and treasure, ultimately attempting to steal a crown that is closely guarded. The atmosphere is spooky, but the scariest part is that giant spider that races along the bottom floor. If you fall down, you'll have only a few seconds to escape before it jumps you and freezes you in its web, only to return a few seconds later to eat you.

Todd's Adventures in Slime World (Atari Lynx): Wonderful sense of weirdness and creepiness as you explore underground alien caverns. If you have a thing about bugs or maggots, this videogame will give you nightmares. The jump scares are provided by giant teeth that pop out of the ground without warning. It's especially startling if you're using headphones.

LSD Dream Emulator (PSX): This experimental art-house videogame was conceived as a surreal collection of lucid dreams imagined by its creator Osamu Sato. It's not "scary" so much as unsettling and eerie, and this sense of strangeness has given it cult status in the West. And, hey, this game actually looks better with the Playstation's notorious zig-zags.

Baroque (Saturn, PSX): A personal favorite, this Rogue-like adventure is filled with surrealism and dread, and addresses complex themes of religion, cannibalism, mental illness, trauma and suicide. There are occasional jump scares that really put the zap on you, but it's the dark, moody sense of the uncanny that sticks in your mind.

Mozzarella

Not a bad list, but where is Amnesia and Outlast? those two definitely had some terrifying jump scares, i will just assume that this guy in the video didnt play them because he was too scared.

Rat Rage

What are you guys talking about? Tomb Raider actually was fucking scary. The atmosphere was amazing. You had almost no hud, no clues where to go next. You had to explore and find everything yourself. Add to that the minimal sound design. Most of the time you just heard your own footsteps and background sounds. Imagine playing the game like that for a long time without anything happening. Imagine being super focused looking at your surroundings looking for secrets, ways to go, when suddenly a fucking bear jumps at you around a random corner!

*Backstory* I'm absolutely terrified of the Alien movies.

Nothing has every scared me as much as Alien Versus Predator on PC where you're the marine and youre in the ventilation shaft, and you can hear a xeno, and you come up to a junction that goes left and right. Never did finish that game.
Are you talking about the 1999 game or the 2010 one?

For me, the 1999 game was soooo close to being super duper scary; it lacked some punchy/loud sound effects whenever the aliens got the jump on the player.

Despite that, the way the overall atmosphere, lighting as well as the nightvision/proximity sensor worked together delivered an amazingly tense situation when playing as a Marine.

Top Bottom