• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Biomutant Problems Explained on PS5, PS4 & Xbox Consoles - Performance Review

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Biomutant has a lot of problems on both the PS5, PS4 Pro, Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S. From low-quality textures to a 60fps mode at launch that simply does not live up to what it should be, any Biomutant review should cover off on these problems. The Biomutant release time is here on Steam and consoles so we have some recommendations for how you can get the most out of your time with the game. Our Biomutant Graphics Comparison takes a look at several aspects that are lacking and why that may be. The Biomutant Metacritic score currently has the game at a 62 on PS4 and it doesn't fair much better on any of the other platforms either. We explain why.

ANIMAL1975

So 1080 base on both with one being reconstructed to 4k. Makes the other thread look a little ridiculous now, but that's not exactly new.

ABANDON THREAD
Animated GIF

GHG

Gold Member
since we don't understand each other I'll say it another way:

Imagine being a kid who just got his first home console as a gift from his parents and it's the ps5 , you load biomutant and realize that the game runs at 1/4 the resolution it runs on your best friend's Xbox series X. I bet you know that "Aaaah it's because of BC!" it will fix everything .... especially the missing pixels. Instead of finding impossible excuses for Sony and Cerny, it is necessary to accept that the PS5's BC is objectively subpar compared to that offered by the competition.

Spider Man Lol GIF

intbal

Have to disagree (conditionally) with his recommendations regarding Xbox consoles. The whole reason VRR exists is to take care of situations like this.
So if you're playing on One X or Series S, and you have a good VRR display, 60fps is the way to go.

LMJ

Playing on a Pro (no V yet) and yeah its not smooth, but still enjoying it, but yeah if you have a XseX you're getting the best

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In a nutshell,

- Both PS5 and Series X have frame rate hitches
- Series X looks sharper and has a bit more detail (grass/rocks kind of thing)

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
In a nutshell,

- Both PS5 and Series X have frame rate hitches
- Series X looks sharper and has a bit more detail (grass/rocks kind of thing)
Probably yeah.
Much better times we don't measure tiny pixels in favor on one console this gen compared to the last one.

like if something changed ..keep fight the good fight ..with the Cerny magic™ bc PS5 implementation

I think what you call "Cerny Magic" is more related to more modern games instead of BC. Like Ratchet for example or maybe HFW depending on how they handle the PS5 version. Then Miles Morales, Returnal and Demon Souls were pretty neat as well.

I know BC is the PS5s weak point which is unfortunate. But fortunately the system is pretty powerful which is why we are getting some really nice looking games on it.

LMJ

I think what you call "Cerny Magic" is more related to more modern games instead of BC. Like Ratchet for example or maybe HFW depending on how they handle the PS5 version. Then Miles Morales, Returnal and Demon Souls were pretty neat as well.

I know BC is the PS5s weak point which is unfortunate. But fortunately the system is pretty powerful which is why we are getting some really nice looking games on it.

It's not a weak point by any stretch, the playstation 5 backwards compatibility does exactly what it said it would it registers as a Pro for BC and in some games offers enhanced frames per 2nd and resolution, BC works just fine.

The only issue is it's being compared to the Xbox Series line which offer far more as far as BC is concerned...

It's not a weak point by any stretch, the playstation 5 backwards compatibility does exactly what it said it would it registers as a Pro for BC and in some games offers enhanced frames per 2nd and resolution, BC works just fine.

The only issue is it's being compared to the Xbox Series line which offer far more as far as BC is concerned...

Looking it by itself it works very well. A huge numbers of games are playable and the higher clocks help improve the framerate in many of those titles. But you're right that when compared to the Series BC it makes it seem worse than it is.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: LMJ

LMJ

I mean, that's only because XS doesn't actually have any new games to show off, so all they can do is enhance their BC.

Jim Carrey What GIF

Yeah no, it's because MS built the Series systems to ENHANCE backwards compatibility from a system/software bottom line. BC will ALWAYS be better on the Xseries. Only cross-gen games will give PS5 the edge (from time to time) that's just the difference in philosophy of both Sony and MS when BC is concerned, next gen we shall wait and see.

Drop the fanboy stuff and realize MS did a great job here, both consoles have their strengths and weakness' this particular round goes to MS that's all ;)

Raonak

Banned
Jim Carrey What GIF

Yeah no, it's because MS built the Series systems to ENHANCE backwards compatibility from a system/software bottom line. BC will ALWAYS be better on the Xseries. Only cross-gen games will give PS5 the edge (from time to time) that's just the difference in philosophy of both Sony and MS when BC is concerned, next gen we shall wait and see.

Drop the fanboy stuff and realize MS did a great job here, both consoles have their strengths and weakness' this particular round goes to MS that's all ;)

If you like replaying old games more than playing new games, more power to you. I rarely, if ever replay a game i've completed.

In my humble unbiased opinion, MS spent their resources on the wrong things, so yeah, for me, they are the loser of this particular round (and honestly, every round in general)

In any case, Biomutant is a badly optimised game. even MS's BS/BC can't save it.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
If you like replaying old games more than playing new games, more power to you. I rarely, if ever replay a game i've completed.

In my humble unbiased opinion, MS spent their resources on the wrong things, so yeah, for me, they are the loser of this particular round (and honestly, every round in general)

In any case, Biomutant is a badly optimised game. even MS's BS/BC can't save it.
Biomutant isn't badly optimized just because PS5 has issues running it. It's an UE4 game which is pretty robust all around. Returnal runs on UE4 and devs had to reduce framebuffer resolution to 1080p as well to get 60FPS. Just wait for the patch that will utilize the next-gen systems better. It'll come in due time.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Glad I went with the PC version, VRR would help this but no VRR TV here yet. On PC I can run it at the same res on a 1080ti with max gfx settings at 65-95fps, which looks smooth as butter with gsync.

Raonak

Banned
Biomutant isn't badly optimized just because PS5 has issues running it. It's an UE4 game which is pretty robust all around. Returnal runs on UE4 and devs had to reduce framebuffer resolution to 1080p as well to get 60FPS. Just wait for the patch that will utilize the next-gen systems better. It'll come in due time.

Fair enough, I personally think Biomutant is badly optimised because it doesn't run well on any systems at all.
It's clearly a lower budget game by inexperienced developers. that generally mean optimisation passes are the first things that are cut in order to meet deadlines.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Fair enough, I personally think Biomutant is badly optimised because it doesn't run well on any systems at all.
Not true. They developed the game on PC and that's where it shines. They have to now go back and patch the next-gen consoles to be at the PC levels. Just give it time. The game is pretty damn fun, different and has amazing art direction.

Raonak

Banned
Not true. They developed the game on PC and that's where it shines. They have to now go back and patch the next-gen consoles to be at the PC levels. Just give it time. The game is pretty damn fun, different and has amazing art direction.
A PC is not a fixed spec. It's not really relevant in optimisation discussions imo, as it will likely run even worse than a PS5 on my PC.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Everyone is talking about performance, but is the game actually fun? Reviews made it seem a bit mediocre unless you're a furry or something.

ethomaz

Banned
Jim Carrey What GIF

Well the whole BC push started with Xbox One because MS lacked first-party output.
The BC is the only thing they can marketing right now because the lack of first-party output.

IMO I already believe Sony is putting too much work (money) in BC on PS5... it should be something in hardware that just play all games without these patches.

Sony has this actual issue... lose the track of what their own userbase wants and get in the gates created by Twitter users that doesn't even have a PS5.

Last edited:

kyoji

Well the whole BC push started with Xbox One because MS lacked first-party output.
The BC is the only thing they can marketing right now because the lack of first-party output.

IMO I already believe Sony is putting too much work (money) in BC on PS5... it should be something in hardware that just play all games without these patches.

Sony has this actual issue... lose the track of what their own userbase wants and get in the gates created by Twitter users that doesn't even have a PS5.
This 100%, bc has been around since ps2 days, im sure they (playstation) have access to internal data that depict how many people were actually using it each gen. and thus why i feel it was a good call not to be overly focused on it, ps gamers have been spoiled so there has never been a great need to fill dwell time with bc games. stick to your guns sony.

Both look bad IMO. I already know the PS5 is worse.

You kind of dodged my point.

Don't you think the native version will look much better on both?
I'm not dodging any point. Your point was "which is the better version" but then name a version that doesn't exist currently? I don't get the point.

I can't go off speculation of what might be. I can only go off what is today and reality.

Temporal reconstruction or not, they don't look the same in their current iteration. That's not a dig at either console, that is a fact. Small company, bad optimization, improvements coming.

I'm not dodging any point. Your point was "which is the better version" but then name a version that doesn't exist currently? I don't get the point.

I can't go off speculation of what might be. I can only go off what is today and reality.

Temporal reconstruction or not, they don't look the same in their current iteration. That's not a dig at either console, that is a fact. Small company, bad optimization, improvements coming.

Actually this was my point.

And which one is a good version of the game?

Probably the native ones in my opinion.

I wasn't asking which one was the better version. I was asking which one was a good version of the game. And both of them are a mess. It will take a native version to improve it. Heck even the developers said they have plans for one.

So please quote me next time instead of just putting in what you want. It makes for a better discussion if you do. Although I admit that I do the same with others on occasion and will try to improve with that.

Last edited:
A game performs bad (or just not was well as expected) on the SeX and the fanboys say it's immature tools.
Fair, it's true, we recognize this.
But when the same happens on the PS5 (96% of the cases being BC games), no, there are no excuses for the boxes fan boys, it's the console's fault that it's garbage. Even when the developers state public very clearly that they are the ones having technical issues, they still insist that no, the bad performance is just and only because the PS5 is inferior and Cerny is a charlatan, there's no discussion.

How long will this continue?

Last edited:
Top Bottom