• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Final Fantasy 16 Has To Be PS5 Generation Only (SSD chatter)

If loading times are anything like Demons Souls remake, that would be impressive.
Exactly. Besides there are no cutscenes and no forced narrow and slow passages in Demon's souls to hide them. We know the loadings also happen during gameplay (on top of 1 sec first loading).

JaksGhost

If loading times are anything like Demons Souls remake, that would be impressive.
Just check out the load times on either Forspoken or FFVIIR on PS5. Square knows how to optimize in that sense. I can load a save from the activity card on FFVIIR and be in the game in less than 7 seconds since it goes straight into loading the save skipping the logos and menu screen.

Paulxo87

Just check out the load times on either Forspoken or FFVIIR on PS5. Square knows how to optimize in that sense. I can load a save from the activity card on FFVIIR and be in the game in less than 7 seconds since it goes straight into loading the save skipping the logos and menu screen.

I noticed after ff7 remake ps5 version that they knew how to take advantage of the fast loading tech. 1-2 seconds right back into it.

Astray

Gold Member
I saw some footage today, and I think this game will break likely break FF records as a minimum.

The level of visual fidelity + the very high level of polish + making the game more accessible to a mainstream audience.

And the real power of this current gen of consoles is how it guarantees a PCIE gen 4 speed SSD for every single console (PCIE 3 for Xboxes), if you are making this game for PC, you will have to either make serious compromises (because a ton of ppl are still on old HDDs and SSDs, so read speed varies), or you will make a game that will get trashed for not running on potato PC being unoptimized. You're gonna see a lot of so-called "gimped ports" of true current gen because of this.

Puscifer

Gold Member
“Final Fantasy 16 joins a small group of games that are new generation-only”

This is a really sad statement when we are 3 years in the PS5 lifecycle. But remember: “We believe in generations”
I think the pandemic and supply chain issues have more to do with this than company policy. It took 2 years to do with PS4 did in a year, things have drastically improved since then but for a while it looked sketchy

pasterpl

More marketing talk. Wondering if there is Anything beyond fast loading that makes this game next gen only? Watching previews it looks like it could easily be adapted to run on previous gen.

Wonder what this means for PC specs if they are actually using the SSD in a decent way. 32GB RAM minimum? Minimum SSD speed?
imho 32GB RAM would have been much better for consoles too and it should have been paired with rather average SSDs, 2TB, or maybe even more (with an SSHD and some archive vs active data automatisms; we have already a huge case anyway).
Load a quarter of the game in RAM at title screen and another at menu screen. And now and then swap some of the assets when required to have some of the rest ready. No one really needs an SSD that can do that all the time while in game with a finger snap. The supposed results are anyway sort of meager and if claims were true would make porting impossible. That SSD burns through the entirety of the 800GB in mere seconds, while no game will be that big anytime soon, even not Warzone. Improved speeds are awesome, but limited space should have been thought about equally, when cheap external drives this time won't be possible, not anytime soon. Misusing an insane SSD as a sort of RAM equivalent seems as weird as using GDDR instead of DDR for system stuff. Unified... easy... something something, but it is not what those components were designed to do best. Not even the master race sees much incentive to upgrade their drives. Of course a hen vs egg problem, but at least Returnal seems to run very fine with sort of regular stuff and it was also claimend that the dev tested the limits because unprecendented SSD speed ... waffle waffle yadda yadda.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Haven’t we acknowledged that “the power of PS5” is bullshit? They can port it and it will run the same on Series X if there wasn’t a deal.

Stay Mad GIF

Arioco

Say what you will about Square, but they're one of the very few devs out there that are really bothering to take advantage of the SSD and I/O hardware in the new consoles. FFVII Remake went from lengthy loading times on PS4 to pretty much instantaneous on PS5 (1-2 seconds). The same for Forspoken, which technically leaves a lot to be desired but its loading times are just a brief fade to black screen and you're already playing, if you blink you missed it.

Obviously that requires to rewrite your code for the new hardware instead of doing things "the old way", and very few devs are doing it, so good for Square. I'm sure they're taking advantage of the I/O hardware again in this game.

And apparently they're using the super fast SDD and the hardware built around it for more than just loading times, like streaming in and out of memory super detailed models so we can always see the best fidelity no matter how close the camera is. Even on last gen machines it was possible to render amazing quality characters and that stuff (like FFVII R, for instance), but the hardware couldn't stream them in and out of memory fast enough, so if the console didn't have all the possible LODs already stored in RAM (which is a huge waste of resources, because you may need them or you may may not) in case the camera got close to an object /character it was already too late to load a better LOD from the HDD. Cool stuff.

Even if the SSD speed requirement isn't that bad, the PC requirements are still likely to be very high.

I'd be surprised if it runs well enough to be playable on the Deck. Even if you are talking about 720p FSR.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

So the cutscenes in the constant transitions of combat->cutscene->combat, etc are rendered in real time? They are not cinematics (fmv)?

FeralEcho

Hell let's start with installing the damn thing first on PS3. That alone was like an hour. Seamless my ass LOL!
Complaining about installs now?Ok, First off no,MGS4 does not take an hour to install all chapters,second it's only an option because the game itself doesn't require an install as most PS3 games didn't.Tell me again how fast you'll "seamlessly" get to play FFXVI on your PS5 once you pop that sucker in and have to install the game for an hour cuz it's over 100gb + the obligatory 10 "day 1" patches which amount to 10 more minutes of waiting and you're right.Seamless my ass!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I still have ptsd from those loading screens and installing chapters dude, lmao
It's my 2nd or 3rd favorite game of all time. I remember.

Whats important to remember is why? Why did they split the installs even though the game was bundled in with the 80 GB PS3 at launch? It was rumored it was because the game was too large for the 20 GB PS3s and the way PS3 allocated the space (doubling it for copy) might have forced kojiPro to do it at launch.

THe fact that it was patched in is proof that HDDs were good enough for seemless transitions. The only time we had loading outside of those installs was during that epic Act 3 chase scene that took you through the entire level, but you traverse that massive level with no loading. GTA4,5, Uncharted 2's train setpiece, MGS4's 2nd chapter tank chase, no loading.

It's great that devs are using the SSD to load in data for the next level, but I have been begging for something like inception where you are swapped into a different level immediately. Or something like Ratchet, only not tied to setpieces. That is the true potential of the PS5. What they are doing here is something you can easily masked by cutscenes which is something games have been doing since the PS3 era.

Lets not forget, the FF7 Rebirth team is literally using PS4 character models while saying they had to make it a PS5 game because of the SSD needed for the open world. Do we really need SSDs for open worlds now? Espcially at FF7 Remake's graphical fidelity? THEIR dated engine might need it, but thats on them.

dottme

I like the Ps5. But I feel they hard trying hard to find something to tell the user that their game is current-gen only and they need to follow. As someone who is still on previous gen, if I jump to the new console is probably not for the technological show off.
Games looks better, but not a console generation better. The XSX and PS4 pro make this generation jump looks really small.

Edge Lord

It was a PS4 game at some point.

Yoshida said they were worried they wouldn't be able to improve the game as much as they wanted because of it. Dropping that version was the right decision.

From a old Famitsu interview:

Famitsu: You mentioned at the beginning that the response to the trailer was better than you expected. How did you feel when you received the response in September 2020, when the first trailer was released?

Yoshida: At that point in time, we were developing the game with the launch of PlayStation 4 in mind, so we were worried that we could not raise the quality of the game. We could have pre-rendered the game at that point, but it would have been a waste of development man-hours, and we did not want to do that. We wanted to make a trailer that was an excerpt of the game experience as it is

JaksGhost

Complaining about installs now?Ok, First off no,MGS4 does not take an hour to install all chapters,second it's only an option because the game itself doesn't require an install as most PS3 games didn't.Tell me again how fast you'll "seamlessly" get to play FFXVI on your PS5 once you pop that sucker in and have to install the game for an hour cuz it's over 100gb + the obligatory 10 "day 1" patches which amount to 10 more minutes of waiting and you're right.Seamless my ass!

This is after you've already downloaded and installed the game from the system UI. An install for an install you might say.

Last edited:

EN250

“Final Fantasy 16 joins a small group of games that are new generation-only”

This is a really sad statement when we are 3 years in the PS5 lifecycle. But remember: “We believe in generations”

That's true, but there was no way they'd abandon +100million PS4 users when PS5 was not easy to find the first 2 years 🤷‍♂️

I read some many people cheering in my social media feed when it was announced RE4 remake was going to be available on PS4 as well, because they still couldn't make the jump to PS5 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

FeralEcho

This is after you've already downloaded and installed the game from the system UI. An install for an install you might say.

Yeah I misremembered,my bad,sorry.Idk,it never felt all that long to me but I always put it to install and do smth else in the meantime so it never bothered me.

Watch it release 6 months later on PC without the need for a mandatory SSD.
Yoshi P stated there wont be a pc port as soon as the 6 months exclusivity is over, they will need a lot of time to optimise it for pc. It was built and optimised for the ps5 from the ground. People sure love being stubborn

"If the PC version comes out in six months, I may quit the company (laughs). "

Yeah, wait 6 months.

Last edited:

RCU005

That's true, but there was no way they'd abandon +100million PS4 users when PS5 was not easy to find the first 2 years 🤷‍♂️

I read some many people cheering in my social media feed when it was announced RE4 remake was going to be available on PS4 as well, because they still couldn't make the jump to PS5 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

They didn’t have any problem abandoning +100 million PS2 users when they moved to PS3! And PS3 had the most original IPs in any Sony’s console generation. They should’ve repeated that with PS5!

Yoshi P stated there wont be a pc port as soon as the 6 months exclusivity is over, they will need a lot of time to optimise it for pc. It was built and optimised for the ps5 from the ground. People sure love being stubborn

Square's also said they weren't doing a PC port either. So who knows.

cireza

Banned
Have these people ever played cartridge based games ?

OH MY GOD WE ARE STREAMING CONTENT REAL TIME FROM THE STORAGE

Wow, that's super impressive...

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I guess they never played GOW3 then

Or previous GOW games... or dozens of other games that do the exact same thing without the power of the secret sauce.

Oh, they're using Luminous, that explains it. Its just the hardware saving the software gore that engine must be.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess they never played GOW3 then

Or previous GOW games... or dozens of other games that do the exact same thing without the power of the secret sauce.

Oh, they're using Luminous, that explains it. Its just the hardware saving the software gore that engine must be.

It's about asset duplication (or lack there of now) combined with near zero load times from start to finish.

How it gets there.

Flutta

Banned
More marketing talk. Wondering if there is Anything beyond fast loading that makes this game next gen only? Watching previews it looks like it could easily be adapted to run on previous gen.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Some of the takes in here.....

Top Bottom