• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN France: Yes, Redfall was originally planned for PS5

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
When did I say that?

25 million GP subscribers is the last official data we have from Microsoft. We can always revisit the calculations whenever MS releases updated GP numbers.

As of now, however, there are 32 million PS5s and 25 million GP/xCloud active users. So if Redfall is released today, 8 million fewer people will be able to play the game -- and that goes against what Phil Spencer said that they want "more people to be able to play these games." (which was the basis of their acquisition)
You make zero sense dude.

0 people can play the game if it released today, without spending money.

Anyone will a cell phone can spend a bit of money and play Redfall when it releases. Being a "Gamepass Subscriber" is roughly as easy as it is to buy the game on a PS5.. you just.. enter your payment info, just like any other purchase lol

What a strange argument... the better argument is..

Cloud gaming sucks and in particular it sucks on a cell phone so really shouldn't be counted alongside console users... and Gamepass is a rental service not a purchase service.. so also isn't the same.

But people still have "Access to the game" if they have a cell phone.

Last edited:
You're complicating it needlessly.

If Redfall is released today:
  • 32 million PS5 owners won't have the ability to play the game (because Microsoft canceled the PS5 version)
  • 25 million xCloud users will have the ability to play the game (because Microsoft put it on Game Pass)
That's a net deduction of 8 million people who won't be able to play Redfall. And that goes against Phil Spencer's quote:

8dCF2yq.jpg
Do you work for Playstation?

Zuzu

Phil said this right away

“With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players.”

Seems pretty obvious what the intent was
Ok, thanks for that quote. I’m incorrect. It seems he has been honest about the intent behind the purchases and purposes of making some new games exclusive.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
"signing up and subscribing" - so obviously they can't be counted until they sign up and are able to play the game.

Otherwise, by that logic, Microsoft took away Redfall from 8 billion people because anyone can buy a PS5.

Only current players who are currently able to play can be counted.

It doesn't take a genius to realise that those ps5 owners would have to lay down 70 pounds to play the game...they don't get it for free.

So anyone with a compatible gamepass device needs to just sign up for 1 month of game pass for one month to play it.....that is millions upon millions upon hundreds of millions more than the ps5.

Neofire

Where is it stated in writing that all future games are going to be multi platform.

Why would anyone expect for one company to put their game on the competitions console. Why?
You can't be serious with this comment. Sony and MS both do it til this day. The only difference with Sony they aren't out here saying "games on all platforms for everybody " and then pulling titles off of platforms they were already planned to be released on while they are on their monopoly spree acquisitions. Then trying to cover it up.

You can't be serious with this comment. Sony and MS both do it til this day. The only difference with Sony they aren't out here saying "games on all platforms for everybody " and then pulling titles off of platforms they were already planned to be released on while they are on their monopoly spree acquisitions. Then trying to cover it up.
Very disingenuous view point. He never said "all games on all platforms" and it's ridiculous to expect a rival company to put their products on your preferred platform. And then to try to say that the Bethesda purchase will be exactly the same as the Activision purchase is a leap, to say the least.

Sony once said "we believe in generations" and then they do a 180 on that claim and continue to support PS4 for God knows how many more years now. All corp PR says bullshit all the time.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It doesn't take a genius to realise that those ps5 owners would have to lay down 70 pounds to play the game...they don't get it for free.
It doesn't take a genius to realize that Game Pass isn't free either.

Cost is not the issue here. Otherwise, there would be more xCloud users than PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo out there.

tmlDan

Very disingenuous view point. He never said "all games on all platforms" and it's ridiculous to expect a rival company to put their products on your preferred platform. And then to try to say that the Bethesda purchase will be exactly the same as the Activision purchase is a leap, to say the least.

Sony once said "we believe in generations" and then they do a 180 on that claim and continue to support PS4 for God knows how many more years now. All corp PR says bullshit all the time.
Here are the full quotes:

“Maybe you happen in your household to buy an Xbox, and I buy a PlayStation, and our kids want to play together, and they can’t because we bought the wrong piece of plastic to plug into our television."

“We really love being able to bring more players in reducing friction, making people feel safe, secure when they’re playing, allowing them to play with their friends, regardless of what device – I think in the long run that is good for this industry. And maybe in the short run, there’s some people in some companies that don’t love it. But I think as we get over the hump and see where this industry can continue to grow, it proves out to be true.”

- Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox so "some" in this case shouldn't refer to him when it seems he refers to Sony, so why do they (xbox) continue this practice?

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

- Jim Ryan, read, "next gen features" which also include things like 60 fps, higher resolution, better graphics....no specific call out on exclusivity to the PS5.

I am a huge supporter of exclusives because i believe they are of better quality in most cases, but i don't like people who lie.

geary

It doesn't take a genius to realize that Game Pass isn't free either.

Cost is not the issue here. Otherwise, there would be more xCloud users than PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo out there.
Yet there are at this moment users subscribed to GP and if the game would release tomorrow could playi it without spending a dime as of the release date. On the other hand, on PS would have to get 70 buck out the wallet. Let it go…there are other arguments to have, but you picked the most absurd.

Listen, Microsoft bought ZeniMax/Bethesda it’s theirs to do with what they please and there’s nothing you or any die hard PlayStation only owning gamers can do about it.

It sucks if you don’t have the finances to obtain a SeriesS. I get it I’ve been there and then hold resentment against another platform for money hatting games buying full exclusive rights.

But if this is only because you hate/loathe Microsoft, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s a mental block only you and you alone can climb. I’m not saying you but I believe there’s people in these console warring threads that allow these things to dictate and control their lives. They are constantly thinking about video game consolidation. It’s not healthy mentally or physically and I legitimately feel bad for them.

Whatever was planned for the PlayStation after the buy out was naturally shit canned to focus all resources on the parent companies console that now owns them. That’s that there is no what ifs or buts about it.

Three

Yet there are at this moment users subscribed to GP and if the game would release tomorrow could playi it without spending a dime as of the release date. On the other hand, on PS would have to get 70 buck out the wallet. Let it go…there are other arguments to have, but you picked the most absurd.
The people subscribed have already spent money. Doesn’t take away from the fact that your audience has been reduced because you've removed those who are likely more interested in a product for those who aren't.

Yes, it is.
The day you'll finally understand that the magnitude of buying a publisher is a lot bigger than buying a developer that only makes exclusive for them, you'll also feel that it's okay.
SONY did it, 1st mate. Microsoft was not responsible for buying Psygnosis, SONY was. That must make Microsoft cool right? *rollseyes*
So they are buying Activision and Call of Duty for exclusivity? 🤔
Deep down yeah, but it looks not for 10 years for COD. I can live with that

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Who cares if it once had a ps5 version? Sony are allowed to purchase developers and or buy exclusivity, so can MS, no?

"Who cares if it once had a PS5 version?"

Because you were running around neogaf saying stuff like this.

This logic is false unless it was officially announced for the platform. For all you know it could have been cancelled on playstation before shipping.

For all you know it could still release on playstation 5 years from now. Ms doesn't have to advertise it.

You guys need pick a different hill to die on. This argument is weak as fuck.

You guys were running around saying there was no proof Microsoft stopped Starfield and Redfall from appearing on PS and now we have proof that they did.

Don't say, "who cares" when you were the one in denial.

Klayzer

You guys were running around saying there was no proof Microsoft stopped Starfield and Redfall from appearing on PS and now we have proof that they did.

pUP3taq.gif

Klayzer

I think he meant to say, "I don't care now because the director confirmed what every non Microsoft apologist already knew".

Now, its not the time to care, supposedly.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Who cares if it once had a ps5 version? Sony are allowed to purchase developers and or buy exclusivity, so can MS, no?

Because you were running around neogaf saying stuff like this:
This logic is false unless it was officially announced for the platform. For all you know it could have been cancelled on playstation before shipping.

For all you know it could still release on playstation 5 years from now. Ms doesn't have to advertise it.

You guys need pick a different hill to die on. This argument is weak as fuck.

WdXuF7q.png

HTK

Banned
MS is definitely leaving money on the table due to their strategy for game pass. It is what it is, who cares.

Zephyrus0

Banned
The way some of you justify and almost cheer deals that are astoundingly bad for consumers is beyond insane to me.

And I say insane just to not say how you really come across.

Literally missing the forest for the trees.
What exactly do you people think is gonna happen if this deal goes through?

What do you think is going to be the response from competitors?

Microsoft is setting the standard. There'll be way less scrutiny going forward. Because microsoft set the standard.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Gaming PC, Steam Deck, Quest 2. My Xbox 360 is now dead because of RROD.

You're complicating it needlessly.

If Redfall is released today:
  • 32 million PS5 owners won't have the ability to play the game (because Microsoft canceled the PS5 version)
  • 25 million xCloud users will have the ability to play the game (because Microsoft put it on Game Pass)
That's a net deduction of 8 million people who won't be able to play Redfall. And that goes against Phil Spencer's quote:

8dCF2yq.jpg
You know you can get an Xbox Series S for under $300. Not a big expense.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You know you can get an Xbox Series S for under $300. Not a big expense.
I know. I don't want to play Redfall and Starfield as they don't look interesting enough to me.

If they release a game that's interesting enough and that my gaming PC can't play, I will buy a Series X. It's not a big deal for me.

Again, I don't have a problem with exclusivity; I just don't like the PR lying statements that come with it.

Zuzu

Microsoft has issued a response to Eurogamer:

Microsoft hasn't "pulled any games from PlayStation" following Redfall PS5 reports

Key statements from the article:

‘…Microsoft has responded, stating "we haven't pulled any games from PlayStation" and that it has in fact "expanded our footprint of games" after releasing PS5 exclusives Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo on Xbox.

Here's the statement to Eurogamer from a Microsoft spokesperson in full: "We haven't pulled any games from PlayStation. In fact, we've expanded our footprint of games that we've shipped on Sony's PlayStation since our acquisition of ZeniMax, and the first two games we shipped after closing were PlayStation 5 exclusives. We did the same thing since our closing of Minecraft as we extended the reach of that franchise.

"All of the games that were available on PlayStation when we acquired ZeniMax in March 2021 are still available on PlayStation, and we have continued to do content updates on PlayStation and PC. We have always said that future decisions on whether to distribute ZeniMax games for other consoles will be made on a case-by-case basis."’

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Microsoft hasn't "pulled any games from PlayStation" following Redfall PS5 reports

‘…Microsoft has responded, stating "we haven't pulled any games from PlayStation" and that it has in fact "expanded our footprint of games" after releasing PS5 exclusives Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo on Xbox.

Here's the statement to Eurogamer from a Microsoft spokesperson in full: "We haven't pulled any games from PlayStation. In fact, we've expanded our footprint of games that we've shipped on Sony's PlayStation since our acquisition of ZeniMax, and the first two games we shipped after closing were PlayStation 5 exclusives. We did the same thing since our closing of Minecraft as we extended the reach of that franchise.

"All of the games that were available on PlayStation when we acquired ZeniMax in March 2021 are still available on PlayStation, and we have continued to do content updates on PlayStation and PC. We have always said that future decisions on whether to distribute ZeniMax games for other consoles will be made on a case-by-case basis."’
What bullshit spin.

geary

Friday Movie GIF

BbMajor7th

Yes, Deathloop and Ghostwire would never have been released on XBOX without MS valiantly storming the gates of Bethesda HQ and liberating their *check notes* must-play blockbusters from the jealous grip of the PlayStation overlords.

graywolf323

Gold Member

there’s that case-by-case basis BS again despite the fact that a 4-player co-op game like Redfall would have been a good one to release on PlayStation with cross play

why does anyone buy into this PR spin? it’s so transparent

Top Bottom