• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN France: Yes, Redfall was originally planned for PS5

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What bullshit spin.
They have been pretty consistent in what they have said all along that they wouldn't pull any games from PS

It kind of on anyone who read that to say all future games will remain on PS

But people would rather call him a liar and point fingers as it better fits their narrative I suppose

If someone shows me a direct quote saying all future games will remain multiplat I will stop pointing this out

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They have been pretty consistent in what they have said all along that they wouldn't pull any games from PS

But people would rather call him a liar and point fingers as it better fits their narrative I suppose

If someone shows me a direct quote saying all future games will remain multiplat I will stop pointing this out
The spin is what I highlighted. Those games were contractually to deliver long before MS bought them, and they delivered within months of MS owning them. They had no hand in that, at all. The spin is also their "woe is me" rescuing of the games that had an exclusive period and would end up on their box whether they bought Zeni or not.

Come on man, it's pure PR spin.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Microsoft has issued a response to Eurogamer:

Microsoft hasn't "pulled any games from PlayStation" following Redfall PS5 reports

Key statements from the article:

‘…Microsoft has responded, stating "we haven't pulled any games from PlayStation" and that it has in fact "expanded our footprint of games" after releasing PS5 exclusives Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo on Xbox.

Here's the statement to Eurogamer from a Microsoft spokesperson in full: "We haven't pulled any games from PlayStation. In fact, we've expanded our footprint of games that we've shipped on Sony's PlayStation since our acquisition of ZeniMax, and the first two games we shipped after closing were PlayStation 5 exclusives. We did the same thing since our closing of Minecraft as we extended the reach of that franchise.

"All of the games that were available on PlayStation when we acquired ZeniMax in March 2021 are still available on PlayStation, and we have continued to do content updates on PlayStation and PC. We have always said that future decisions on whether to distribute ZeniMax games for other consoles will be made on a case-by-case basis."’
James Franco GIF

NickFire

My opinion is you are correct in that he did not directly lie. The second part of my opinion is that the company still used "PR speak" to convey a message that was misleading, and did not clarify until after they got what they wanted. Which to me is not much different than lying in effect, but my opinion is just my opinion and not a statement of fact.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The spin is what I highlighted. Those games were contractually to deliver long before MS bought them, and they delivered within months of MS owning them. They had no hand in that, at all. The spin is also their "woe is me" rescuing of the games that had an exclusive period and would end up on their box whether they bought Zeni or not.

Come on man, it's pure PR spin.
Sure its all PR crap but have seen many people say they lied which simply isn't true

My opinion is you are correct in that he did not directly lie. The second part of my opinion is that the company still used "PR speak" to convey a message that was misleading, and did not clarify until after they got what they wanted. Which to me is not much different than lying in effect, but my opinion is just my opinion and not a statement of fact.
I agree the PR might have been meant to confuse but I also tend to try to see what people are exactly saying and not what is implied

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

There is no direct quote of him saying that, people have attributed all kinds of nonsense to him without any actual statement.

I don't expect it to stop any time soon either.

Last edited:

NickFire

I agree the PR might have been meant to confuse but I also tend to try to see what people are exactly saying and not what is implied
I do too and I feel like I'm pretty good at picking up fluff and PR in general. And in that instance I actually believed them at first. Of course, I could have been hearing what I wanted to hear at the time, since I thought Fallout 4 was pretty good and that Starfield sounded interesting. Time to move on for me though. This topic has run a full course and then some for me at this point.

Also, disagreements aside, its Friday everyone. Hope you all have wonderful weekends.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There is no direct quote of him saying that, people have attributed all kinds of nonsense to him without any actual statement.

I don't expect it to stop any time soon either.
Maybe he should be less "used car salesman" ambiguous, and more "on the nose" and direct. Otherwise, this will constantly happen.

Even HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 agrees he is a "used car salesman" mode when in the corporate shoes.

wolffy71

Banned
Isn't the entire point of PR, corporate spin? Like talking about positives and minimizing negatives is the entire point of it. Expecting companies to come out and highlight things that will harm them seems childish.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Maybe he should be less "used car salesman" ambiguous, and more "on the nose" and direct. Otherwise, this will constantly happen.

Even HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 agrees he is a "used car salesman" mode when in the corporate shoes.

He's a PR man, his job is to PR. But unlike most other PR men, people seem to associate way more negativity towards him than any other PR exec.

And yes you're probably gonna say that he should stop doing so many interviews then, which I don't have any disagreement with, but they're probably about to close $70bn worth of an acquisition, he is very likely getting bombarded with interview and appearance requests just based on that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He's a PR man, his job is to PR. But unlike most other PR men, people seem to associate way more negativity towards him than any other PR exec.

And yes you're probably gonna say that he should stop doing so many interviews then, which I don't have any disagreement with, but they're probably about to close $70bn worth of an acquisition, he is very likely getting bombarded with interview and appearance requests just based on that.
That's only because he's in the news every other week constantly PRing and doing interviews. Sometimes less is more.

And of course we will hear from him more due to this deal, it's those times where we don't need to be hearing that gets oversaturation.

If you hear from him less, he is talked about less. Simple logic.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Its tough because many people, including myself, hammer Sony with how quiet they are but then people hammer Spencer because he talks too much.

Personally I am in the camp I like the interviews and telling us months in advance we are getting a Starfield show

I also know things change and no matter what he said 6 years ago it can't be expected that's what is happening today.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Its tough because many people, including myself, hammer Sony with how quiet they are but then people hammer Spencer because he talks too much.

Personally I am in the camp I like the interviews and telling us months in advance we are getting a Starfield show

I also know things change and no matter what he said 6 years ago it can't be expected that's what is happening today.

I would honestly take the weekly interviews over nothing. The problem isn't the interviews....it's the output. Microsoft need to be putting out a steady stream of games, then let Phil do all the talking he wants.

What annoys me is when every week he is saying "we have heard you, we need to do better...we agree" etc...

It's frustrating. They have enough studios now and should be releasing games at a steady clip. 2023 is making a huge step in the right direction to fulfil that, I cant wait for their summer show as I am hoping we get some surprised for peak season and into 2024.

RickMasters

They never confirmed any consoles so it wasn't :messenger_sunglasses:
We all know it was, lol
Bingo! Besides….. why would you spend 7billion just to put the new ip on rival formats? They honoured signed contracts for ghost wire and death loop. Nobody needs to shed any tears over this. You can’t miss what you never had in the first place.

Zok310

Banned
"won't take away"
They won't take away COD, Minecraft or any other already established games
New games and IP's are for MS only.
That's not being 'taken away'
That just 'not gettin'

Didn't lie at all

Spend $200 and get a used XSS and suck your binkie
Who tells people to suck a binkie? Grow the fuck up you petulant child. You should try to get some pussy sometime this week.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

I'm ok with exclusives, I'm ok with timed exclusives and a few money hats never hurt anybody. But I just can't handle fucking hipocrites. Get bent MS.
The word "hypocrite" muddies the waters too much for me. Hypocrisy is having double standards. This is just straight up lying.

Is it possible Phil was talking about bringing more games to Xbox customers seeing how adding Bethesda games to Game pass means Xbox customers gain an additional way to play these games outside of traditional retail? Of course if anyone can provide a quote of Phil claiming to want to add more games to PlayStation I'd like to see it. I'd imagine that would be pretty strange seeing how he doesn't work for Sony.

Banned
But Phil said he wanted to bring games to more players!!

how does the game get into the hands of more players? if it's playable on PS5, PC and Xbox SX, or if it's playable on Xbox SX, PC and every device that has access to a chromium based web browser?

technically he didn't lie ;)

Ozriel

M$FT
Is it possible Phil was talking about bringing more games to Xbox customers seeing how adding Bethesda games to Game pass means Xbox customers gain an additional way to play these games outside of traditional retail? Of course if anyone can provide a quote of Phil claiming to want to add more games to PlayStation I'd like to see it. I'd imagine that would be pretty strange seeing how he doesn't work for Sony.

Oh, nearly everyone in this thread knows he was talking about xCloud and GP bringing the games to a potentially larger audience. There's more than enough context for that.

Some people want to fight battles over plastic boxes, and will pick any attack vector they find.

how does the game get into the hands of more players? if it's playable on PS5, PC and Xbox SX, or if it's playable on Xbox SX, PC and every device that has access to a chromium based web browser?

technically he didn't lie ;)
I didn't know MS was making a Stadia. I doubt playing videogames in web browsers will ever catch on but good luck.

Bingo! Besides….. why would you spend 7billion just to put the new ip on rival formats? They honoured signed contracts for ghost wire and death loop. Nobody needs to shed any tears over this. You can’t miss what you never had in the first place.
They had no choice but to honor those contracts, they weren't doing it to be generous they were legally obligated to do so same with every other company they've purchased yet Phil goes out and always says they intend to honor them like they are being generous or doing someone a favor.

Last edited:
Bethesda games were always available to xbox players so that's not really doing anything. My GPU just expired, didn't renew because there was no point but let's be real, xbox gamers gained nothing new from the bethesda buyout, they would have been able to play all of those games anyway.

gamepass streaming works on any Chromium browser too you know ;)
works just as well as through a dedicated app too from what I've seen
Well I'm an old boomer I don't feel like cloud gaming is the future. Even with gigabit internet the lag will always be there.

Rien

Jelly Belly
So what?
It's not coming to PS, just like Starfield, TES, the next Wolfenstien, the next Doom, the next Quake etc etc.
Get over it.
Trying to convince yourself that Phil said something that might be contradictory isn't going to make these games get on the PS. It won't have any effect on the decisions of the regulators about ABK. It won't stop Phil Spencer from getting more awards from his industry peers.

You can keep it! Phil can also keep the awards for this game. It’s spectacular. That game pass effect.
I bet you also applaud and scream to the screen at the cinema.

RickMasters

They had no choice but to honor those contracts

Well duh….. That’s the nature of contracts. And that’s my point…. MS honoured those contracts.

I work in a business where conracts are everything so….No….. nobody…. Least of all me said anything about kindness…. You are just repeating my own point back to me.

Top Bottom