• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Gotham Knights' System Requirements on PC Are Quite Demanding

Klosshufvud

Do PC guys just expect next gen games to run the same on newer hardware as last gen games?
The problem is that nothing about this game has thus far justified its inflated spec demands. Everything we've seen and heard from the game is basically the developers being really bad, cancelling last-gen versions and then failing to deliver a 60 fps version even on modern consoles with ton CPU/GPU/RAM power to go around. Something similar happened to Arkham Knight on PC. The port was godawful for the longest. Its spec demands did not line up with the game presented.

darrylgorn

loki-marvel.gif

GametimeUK

Miles is dynamic 1440p with raytracing and it’s not just 60 it’s 70-120

I said Miles was dynamic resolution topping out at 1440p and of course if you remove the framerate cap on Spider-Man you will go above 60fps so if we take these recommended specs at face value (which I will until the benchmarks are out) then Gotham Knights will also go above 60fps too since there must be overhead. We won't find out how much until the performance reviews (or we find out the game is busted and doesn't reach 60fps with recommended hardware).

I just don't get why people are so surprised at the specs considering how the game currently is on console with no performance mode.

I said Miles was dynamic resolution topping out at 1440p and of course if you remove the framerate cap on Spider-Man you will go above 60fps so if we take these recommended specs at face value (which I will until the benchmarks are out) then Gotham Knights will also go above 60fps too since there must be overhead. We won't find out how much until the performance reviews (or we find out the game is busted and doesn't reach 60fps with recommended hardware).

I just don't get why people are so surprised at the specs considering how the game currently is on console with no performance mode.
Do PC guys just expect next gen games to run the same on newer hardware as last gen games? The consoles have stepped up to the equivalent performance of what a high end graphics card was a years ago. If the console isn't running at 4K 60fps your damn 1070 definitely isn't. Sure the 2070 is steep, but don't forget games like Miles Morales are running between 1080p and 1440p dynamic resolution in performance mode to hit 60fps on PS5.

I'll have to check the tech reviews when they are out, but it isn't as simple as 1080p to reach 60fps is bad. I can't wait to see the recommended specs for Returnal at console settings on PC since that too was 1080p if I'm remembering correctly.

Right here because last time I checked you can't currently play this at 60fps on console so you do infact need a PC if you wish to play at 60fps.

I agree on that end

Puscifer

The performance price of ray tracing never seems to be worth the result.

This whole generation seems lost and out of touch. Low supply of consoles 2 years in. Consoles already seeing its limits reached. Next gen games hardly look better. Development shifting to games as a service. The best selling console is about as powerful as a phone.

Gotham Knights is one of many to come, Enjoy.
I once said they should've waited another year or two for these consoles. They aren't weak by any means but they could've been A LOT better.

GametimeUK

I agree on that end

Like I said I acknowledge the resolution is dynamic topping out at 1440p. Yes it has RT, but we don't know if these "high settings" on Arkham includes RT. I'd actually be disappointed if it didn't since the consoles have it. It would make sense for recommended specs since it's an RTX card. Yes I said Miles goes above 60fps if you have such a display to remove the 60fps cap. I have no idea why you've repeated these points ive agreed on. If the target fps is 60 for Arkham then one would realistically assume it will also have overhead and will be above 60 also if you play on such a display. I mean there's not many games that don't hit super high framerates like Spider-Man does when you're staring at an empty blue sky or directly at the ground.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

I once said they should've waited another year or two for these consoles. They aren't weak by any means but they could've been A LOT better.
The modern console specs are perfectly fine and even overkill. Have you played GoT or Cyberpunk on PS5? Runs and looks amazing. Even my Series S has great looking and performing games. These consoles are really good. They've been carefully designed with minimal bottlenecks, with easy PC-like developer environment and with tools making game creation easier than ever. I'm now suspecting that the tools may have just become too powerful and easy. So devs no longer learn what they did two decades ago when being forced to create unique engines on alien Japanese hardware. Those conditions created some really good dev teams.

The film/television medium is facing a similar problem. Shooting on digital with green screen is easier than ever. The talent that was required to shoot on-location and on 65mm film with massive amount of extras isn't needed today. Now any clown may point a digital camera against two actors in front of a green screen and tell them to read the lines. As a result, those media no longer produce the creative and skilled personnel it once did. They no longer go through the proper learning experience.

Very interested in the review of this. Game is releasing in less than 12 hours in some region. Wonder if that 30 fps is stable throughout on consoles.

Top Bottom