• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] How God of War: Ragnarok's Director Found Inspiration in Classic NES Games

Punished Miku

Gold Member
image006-1668109630878.jpg

"When I was in 4th grade we had to write a book about all the things we might want to be one day, and it required us to explore 10 different paths,” he says. “My final outcome was fighter pilot, mostly due to me seeing Top Gun. But the wild part was the runner-up entry (was) “game designer”.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Luigi: This pipe... It's very green
Toad: Yes it is...
Toad: I think you can get in
Toad: Try getting into the pipe
Toad: Maybe there's something down inside
Luigi: Maybe there's some hidden immunity star somewhere here... MAYBE... 😉😉
Luigi: That's a hell of a tall flag stick... Maybe you should try jumping on it... Just saying...

I can see where, actually

Eric Williams' blogpost on animation cancelling gave me a newfound appreciation for all the games mentioned therein.

It also illustrates that he knows his stuff, though it should be obvious that "game designer" and "game director" are two different roles.

digdug2

Oh, I most definitely can see the influences that 80's-90's games had on God of War. This game has 'Metroidvania' elements, and there's no denying it. There are plenty of places that you're unable to visit until you unlock the proper upgrades. In terms of combat, it leans heavily into Punch-Out!!, which is actually quite awesome. I feel that the combat is inspired by the Soulslike games too, which coincidentally enough, take a page out of the NES' playbook. There are some tough-as-nails boss battles in GOW: R, even when playing on 'give me balance'.

Shifty1897

The 80s and 90s were kinda rough being a video game fan.
Ain't that the truth. I'm happy knowing kids today generally aren't getting beat up or shunned for liking video games. Our generation paved the way to bring video games into the mainstream and normalize them.

Top Bottom