• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Lists Top 10 Zelda's ever: TOTK (1)

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

IGN called it TOTK #1 confirmed

Those who gots early copies and have put in a leasts 120 hours knows the truths true dark fantasy ghibli

I might sink 500 hours into this with fast food and beer hook it to my veins

simpsons-hook-it-to-my-veins.gif

Other games are likes a grain of sand. TOTK is the entire ocean my friends.

MagnesD3

1. Twilight Princess (if you say OoT I don't blame you they are basically the same Tier of godhood).
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Wind Waker (Botw is close kind of a toss up between these 2)
4. Breath of the Wild
5. Skyward Sword

Haven't beat TOTK so I obviously don't know where I'd put it.

I haven't played all the 2d zeldas yet but out of the ones I've played, although they are good I consider them objectively inferior to all the 3d Zeldas except maybe Majoras Mask.

Last edited:

MirageMew2

BotW-era Zelda is honestly so radically different that putting them in one list is stressful. It’s like ranking Rogue One higher than any of the Star Wars OT. It might be acceptable, but really?

Last edited:

kunonabi

Haven't played nearly enough TotK to include it but it would really have to improve on botw for me to rate it that highly.

For me:

1. Skyward Sword
2. A Link to the Past
3. Twilight Princess
4. 4 Swords Adventures
5. Spirit Tracks
6. A Link Between Worlds
7. Adventure of Link
8. Legend of Zelda
9. Triforce Heroes
10. Phantom Hourglass

If had to guess TotK will mostly likely slot in somewhere between 8-10 maybe as high as 6 if it really does succeed where botw failed for me.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Ign always with the recency bias, new games gets more clicks! Its a great game, but link between worlds and wind waker are better for my money

My top ten would be
1.) link between worlds
2.) the wind waker
3.) minish cap
4.) a link to the past
5.) Twight princess
6.) Links Awakening (2019)
7.) Cadence of Hyrule
8.) oracle of seasons/ages
9.) Majoras Mask
10.) Tears of the kingdom

I wasn’t the biggest Breath of The Wild fan, but I think the sequel makes a lot of improvements to that games core structure, and I adore the freedom provided to the player to solve problems how ever they want.

Ultra hand, and ascend provide player freedom on a level unseen in the triple a space. That said, i prefer my Zelda experiences to be a little more linear and hand crafted.

So while Tears is excellent, it will never dethrone some of my favorite, more linear Zelda games. I think link between worlds was a good mix of open ended-ness and guidance.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

A Link to the Past is the best, and honestly I'm not even sure how close it is.

Ocarina is so groundbreaking it is probably the closest.
And the original set the formula, of course, so that deserves a ton of credit.
Those are top 3 IMO. Everything else is clearly 2nd best.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Who wrote that list? I'm gonna have to strongly disagree. Nintendo probably paid them to make this 😆
IGN would not create or favorably review something a publisher did not pay them for. Notice how every big game gets a 9 or 10 from them these days? They are 100 percent on the take like famitsu is, at least famitsu doesn’t hide it

Deerock71

A Link to the Past is the best, and honestly I'm not even sure how close it is.

Ocarina is so groundbreaking it is probably the closest.
And the original set the formula, of course, so that deserves a ton of credit.
Those are top 3 IMO. Everything else is clearly 2nd best.
You're stuck in the past, man. My 11 year old is experiencing Tears of the Kingdom right now; are you seriously telling me your nostalgia goggles are going to convince him Link to the Past is the better game? I'm reminded of Steven Spielberg's story about Ray Harryhausen embracing CG as a revolution to his art form. Let it go.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Liking TOTK a lot so far. Don't really care about the rankings as long as you have Skyward Sword, WW, and TP at the bottom of your lists. Those games have more padding than a mattress.

2D Zeldas and the recent 3D ones are the shit.

EruditeHobo

You're stuck in the past, man. My 11 year old is experiencing Tears of the Kingdom right now; are you seriously telling me your nostalgia goggles are going to convince him Link to the Past is the better game?

I don't care what kids think, trying to convince them of anything would be a pretty big waste of my time.
My argument has nothing to do with nostalgia.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Can't rank Tears until I play more of it.

1. Links Awakening DX
  2. Ocarina of Time
  3. Breath of The Wild
  4. Link to The Past
  5. Twilight Princess

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Tears of the Kingdoms is darker Zelda like Majora's Mask and Twightlight Princess but the story is better.

Plus the worlds is by far the best. No contests.

Kilau

Young people are crippled with FOMO now so it’s best to assure them they are living through the best/first of everything.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
IGN loves making listicles when big games come out proclaiming them the best thing ever. Really cheap and easy way to drive traffic. Many such cases. Sad!

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
IGN loves making listicles when big games come out proclaiming them the best thing ever. Really cheap and easy way to drive traffic. Many such cases. Sad!
A lot of early players who've put 120 plus hours like me and IGN have a different perspectives on TOTK than launch noobs thoughs.

It just keeps getting betters.

1. Breath of the Wild
  2. Ocarina of Time
  3. Link’s Awakening
  4. Wind Waker
Gonna get on that Tears of the Kingdom asap, and also Minish Cap and Link Between Worlds at some point.

You're stuck in the past, man. My 11 year old is experiencing Tears of the Kingdom right now; are you seriously telling me your nostalgia goggles are going to convince him Link to the Past is the better game? I'm reminded of Steven Spielberg's story about Ray Harryhausen embracing CG as a revolution to his art form. Let it go.
If the old games were so outdated, Nintendo wouldn't have rereleased Links Awakening. I'm sure that game received tons of new casual players on the Switch, so I don't see why the same people wouldn't like the tight campaign of ALttP. There's a reason we have an indie market full of inferior clones.

I still think BotW and ToTK combat is really bad and mediocre... like there's indies with better combat.

But for me the last two games are good because how the world is built, and how a simple sidequest can make you think to solve a puzzle, instead the game telling what to do - in most cases, putting some others open world to shame.

However, worth remember that Zelda is a fantasy game, they can go nuts with mechanics. It's not like a game like GTA and AC will have something like Ultrahand, Fuse, Ascend, or Recall lol.

Last edited:
Loves OOT buts its ancient artifacts at this point Lara Croft would probably find it in a caves I can't play that anymores
I've stated this multiple times and I do so because it's a fact. Greatness doesn't have an expiry date, it can be appreciated in any time. OOT is the very definition of great.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
In 5 years another Zelda will come out and they will say that it is the best ever created... Another 5 and the same... The same... The same.

And so the cycle continues.

The same thing was said about Skyward Sword and it turned out to be very underrated and unusual.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
In 5 years another Zelda will come out and they will say that it is the best ever created... Another 5 and the same... The same... The same.

And so the cycle continues.

The same thing was said about Skyward Sword and it turned out to be very underrated and unusual.
New Zeldas probably will because they keeps buildings on it and improving on it

Skyward Swords was different though always thought it was a load of Wii crud

Top Bottom