• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Lists Top 10 Zelda's ever: TOTK (1)

botw and totk don’t really feel like zelda games. To me they are a spinoff. Still great games tho.

My list

Link to the past
OOT
Majoras mask
A link between worlds
Wind walker
Twilight princess

going forward hope they have 2 teams that alternate between traditional zelda and this open world sandbox zelda, or if they can’t do that, hope they can a find middle ground between them.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Link's Awakening.
arnold-wrong.gif

Surprising to see so many people mention Link Between Worlds. I really liked that one also!

Yes, Ocarina is still a great game. I beat it again earlier this year.

Shifty1897

Tears of the Kingdom is delivering highs I haven't felt in a very long time, still too early I'm the game (11 hours) but so far it's on track to be my favorite Zelda.

Link's Awakening or Ocarina of Time is my favorite Zelda, depending on the day you ask me.

Last edited:

Tg89

I'll ignore TOTK...certainly on track for being the #1, but I don't have enough time in yet.

1) BOTW
2) OoT
3) LttP
4) MM
5) LA
6) ALBW
7) TP
8) OoA
9) AoL
10) Minish Cap

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Mine would be (I haven’t played TotK yet)
BoTW
ALBW
OOT
MM

Had skyward sword for wii but as I’m a leftie and link was swapped to be right handed it felt like it was off to me so stopped playing

If ToTK can have the charm and replicate the adventure and just over way BoTW made you want to go on an adventure well then I am expecting great things from it.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
OOT is top spot for me.

The Legend of Zelda established the status quo.

Adventure Of Link departed from status quo.

LTTP refined status quo.

OOT was the culmination of CLASSIC ZELDA formula. The Zelda experience, through and through, with no fat. Nothing about the formula required innovation because the very existence of the game in a 3D space WAS the innovation, delivering, quite simply, Zelda greatest hits, but being able to interact with those greatest hits in an entirely upgraded way. I'm amazed at the tech now, but even so, I don't think we'll see another jump quite so large in gaming in our lives as the transition to "modern," gaming.

simpatico

Went on a retro hardware kick and bought a SNES and LTTP this year. Right now it's a toss up between it and R4make for my personal GOTY aka most enjoyable game sessions of the year. First time I'd played it since it was a new release on SNES. What a masterpiece. Flawless top to bottom. If TOTK is really that good I'm in for a real treat.

Neff

10. The Wind Waker
9. The Legend of Zelda
8. Link Between Worlds
7. The Adventure of Link
6. Twilight Princess
5. Skyward Sword
4. Ocarina of Time
3. Breath of the Wild
2. Link's Awakening
1. A Link to the Past

I'll consider ranking TotK when I've finished it but if it carries on delivering as it has then it'll dethrone BotW quite easily.

Hero_Select

Tears of the Kingdom takes everything about BOTW and just improves on it in every aspect. It's going to be extremely interesting to see just how Nintendo follows this up because my god.. This game is so jam-packed it's mind boggling.

dwish

I like Zelda, but man, the Nintendo hype everytime they release a new Zelda or Mario title lol

Edit: My top 3

1. OOT
2. A Link to the Past
3. Zelda 1

Last edited:

nikos

Ocarina of Time (N64)
Link's Awakening
BOTW I guess. Never finished it.

The rest I got bored of quickly.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Zelda should be put in two categories imo, I don’t think Botw and Totk are fair to compare to Ocarina or Twilight

Chiggs

For me:
  1. Tears of the Kingdom
  2. Majora's Mask
  3. Ocarina of Time
  4. WindWaker
  5. Twilight Princess
  6. A Link Between Worlds
  7. A Link to the Past
  8. Breath of the Wild
  9. Spirit Tracks
  10. Link's Awakening

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
If your rankings what had the most industries impact it's probably OOT's bbuuuuuuuuttt I can't play that anymore.

Best game is TOTK.

MagnesD3

Only big thing that aged in Ocarina of Time is that N64 controller (throw it in the trash), do yourself a favor and play on a GameCube Controller like all N64 games were intended to be played on.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
BOTW wents from number ones to now I dont even knows I can't even rank it

BOTW is just the Wish version of TOTK

Madflavor

It's better to look at how good these games were, for the time they were released. BotW and TotK are obviously great, but it's not like we haven't see Open World games before that focus on exploration and discovery. Ocarina of Time was such a game changer. TotK might be a game changer for Zelda, but not as much for industry. Because other companies who make exceptional Open World games will do their own thing with their own approach to Open World design. But Ocarina of Time was simply mindblowing for 1998. It was the first 3D Zelda game, it had a fuck ton of dungeons that were all unique and memorable in their design, and it's music and sound design is timeless. Give the technology and design standards at the time, it was as close to perfect as you could get.

In 5 years another Zelda will come out and they will say that it is the best ever created... Another 5 and the same... The same... The same.

And so the cycle continues.

The same thing was said about Skyward Sword and it turned out to be very underrated and unusual.
Skyward Sword >>> Twilight Princess.
It was the best of the old Zelda formula; It has heart and emotion exactly like Wind waker.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
Twilight Princess will always have a place in my heart since it was the first one I finished by myself without the help of my older brother. So, with that in mind, here's how I rank the 3D entries...
  1. Twilight Princess
  2. Ocarina of Time
  3. Tears of the Kingdom
  4. Wind Waker
  5. Breath of the Wild
  6. Majora's Mask
  7. Skyward Sword
I enjoyed all of them! I'm playing through SS HD at the same time as TOTK, and I'm really enjoying just how solid the dungeons are. Just going off of dungeons alone, I feel like SS could give the top spots a run for their money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom