• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN/NXGamer | God of War Ragnarok Performance Review: PS5 vs PS4 Pro vs PS4

Gaiff

Gold Member
How's the performance mode on PS5? Locked 60? Don't wanna spoil myself. thanks.
Yeah. It can shoot way above 60 in performance mode if you have a 120Hz display, 80-90fps. Locked at 40 in 4K VRR/120Hz but can dip to the high 30's in busy scenes.

Last edited:
shit you will never notice is worth having shitty input lag?

this forum really is full of graphics whores, holy shit...
Does it personally affect u or your life what graphic mode other people are playing? Is your opinion the only valid opinion? If u answer these questions with an honest "No" I'd kindly ask u to stfu. Thank you, yes-binary person.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

Does it personally affect u or your life what graphic mode other people are playing? Is your opinion the only valid opinion? If u answer these questions with an honest "No" I'd kindly ask u to stfu. Thank you, yes-binary person.
You truly, really prefer 30fps over 60 when difference in fidelity is minor? I just cant even understand, 30fps is laggy, unpleasant to see, some people are different specimen.

You truly, really prefer 30fps over 60 when difference in fidelity is minor? I just cant even understand, 30fps is laggy, unpleasant to see, some people are different specimen.
And u lot have a superiority complex. Perception is subjective. No, I don't prefer 30fps over 60fps. But I'm able to enjoy games at 30fps (most, not all) at max fidelity. It's OK if u can't but you don't see me talking down on people like you. So why can't you fools do the same?

DJ12

Just started playing GoW 2018. See how that goes before getting this, seems a bit hard to me so far. Mostly because I'm rubbish though.

Banned

nah, but I wonder why people would on purpose make a game play like shit just because they can stare at a slightly better looking shadow.

I assume the latency situation will be similar if not the same as in the first game, given that this is the exact same engine.
and the first one had astonishingly terrible input lag in the 30fps mode. even at 60fps on PS5 it was really bad but basically on the level of an ok 30fps game, so oo enough.

it doesn't affect me how you play a game, I'm just curious why you would play a game with latency that's worse than playing over OnLive cloud streaming 10 years ago...

Last edited:
nah, but I wonder why people would on purpose make a game play like shit just because they can stare at a slightly better looking shadow.

I assume the latency situation will be similar if not the same as in the first game, given that this is the exact same engine.
and the first one had astonishingly terrible input lag in the 30fps mode. even at 60fps on PS5 it was really bad but basically on the level of an ok 30fps game, so oo enough.

it doesn't affect me how you play a game, I'm just curious why you would play a game with latency that's worse than playing over OnLive cloud streaming 10 years ago...
Easy answer- My perception is different than yours. My threshold is greater than yours. Therefore I'm able to enjoy games at a variety of frames per second or refresh rates. You are obviously limited and I'm sorry for that. Cheers. 🍷😋

PS5

Favor resolution: 2160p 30fps
Favor performance: Dynamic 4K at 60 FPS
Dynamic HFR Resolution: 1800p/40 FPS
Dynamic HFR Performance: 1440p targeting 120 fps

PS4 Pro

Resolution: 1440p-1660p 30 FPS
Performance: 1080p~1660p 60 FPS

PS4

1080p 30 FPS
did he cover the unlocked 40? also i thought the 40 mode was also dynamic to 4k not just 1800p

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
@5:20 He states the "performance is good if not great" when referring to the 40-50 fps on ps4 pro performance mode. I really don't understand the statement, as I've never heard performance fluctuations in the 40 to low 50's described as great before. Is it possible he is referring to playback on a VRR display (he didn't mention it during this segment) or was it a mistake during editing? If I'm hearing this wrong, can someone please correct me.

Regardless, the game looks great and I cannot wait to fire this up on my ps4. GoW was a top 3 game for me last generation.

Moses85

RDNA 1.5 doing wonders.
Magic Fingers Family GIF

Banned
@5:20 He states the "performance is good if not great" when referring to the 40-50 fps on ps4 pro performance mode. I really don't understand the statement, as I've never heard performance fluctuations in the 40 to low 50's described as great before. Is it possible he is referring to playback on a VRR display (he didn't mention it during this segment) or was it a mistake during editing? If I'm hearing this wrong, can someone please correct me.

Regardless, the game looks great and I cannot wait to fire this up on my ps4. GoW was a top 3 game for me last generation.

the thing is that God of War's engine has a shitload of input latency, so the gameplay experience, even tho fluctuating a lot, will most likely be a lot better at an unstable 50fps than it is locked to 30fps.

for my tastes the first game was basically unplayable at 30fps, the latecy was ridiculous. so the unlocked mode on PS4 pro was its saving grace for me.

also he can't talk about VRR because the PS4 Pro doesn't support VRR (neither do PS4 games played on PS5)

Banned
Easy answer- My perception is different than yours. My threshold is greater than yours. Therefore I'm able to enjoy games at a variety of frames per second or refresh rates. You are obviously limited and I'm sorry for that. Cheers. 🍷😋

I'm not talking about FPS, I'm talking about input response, which is a gigantic weakpoint for GoW's engine. at 60fps GoW played on a PS5, so maxed out 60fps, has worse input lag than Halo 3 at 30fps (~120ms vs ~100ms)

so now imagine the latency GoW has at 30fps...

btw. update on the graphics modes, there will apparently be an unlocked, fidelity mode that has no 40fps cap, which I haven't seen mentioned so far but is on their official modes sheet

Last edited:
It may be, but FSR doesn't require Machine Learning to do its job, so it's a bit weird anyways. I'm really looking forward to see what John from DF was able to find out about this matter.
Me too, but I am keeping away from these videos until I play the game extensively (not before December I guess?)

I'm not talking about FPS, I'm talking about input response, which is a gigantic weakpoint for GoW's engine. at 60fps GoW played on a PS5, so maxed out 60fps, has worse input lag than Halo 3 at 30fps (~120ms vs ~100ms)

btw. update on the graphics modes, there will apparently be an unlocked, fidelity mode that has no 40fps cap, which I haven't seen mentioned so far but is on their official modes sheet
I don't know what giant input lag u talking about. I recently replayed GoW on ps5 and its super responsive. My guess is that u either haven't even played it yourself (likely) or u just have a shitty TV because u have no clue about anything. Sorry not sorry.

Banned
I don't know what giant input lag u talking about. I recently replayed GoW on ps5 and its super responsive. My guess is that u either haven't even played it yourself (likely) or u just have a shitty TV because u have no clue about anything. Sorry not sorry.

I have the best gaming TV on the market in terms of latency, and I played it on PS4 pro's unlocked FPS mode.
I payed it on my old TV, which was among the best gaming TVs at the time I played it (~14 to ~15ms at 60hz)

the latency in that mode is acceptable, but just about.

also I'm not giving you my subjective impression here... this has been measured you know?
God of War on PS5 at 60fps has 120ms of input lag, which is about the input lag you'd expect from a sub par 30fps game.

so again, the 60fps mode has the latency of a 30fps game. that's not great, and at 30fps it gets MUCH worse

Last edited:

Arioco

Me too, but I am keeping away from these videos until I play the game extensively (not before December I guess?)

You should, because those analysis contain some small spoilers. In my case I watch them anyaways because I won't probably be playing the game in a looong time anyways so by the moment I start playing it I will have forgotten what I saw. XD

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
the thing is that God of War's engine has a shitload of input latency, so the gameplay experience, even tho fluctuating a lot, will most likely be a lot better at an unstable 50fps than it is locked to 30fps.

for my tastes the first game was basically unplayable at 30fps, the latecy was ridiculous. so the unlocked mode on PS4 pro was its saving grace for me.

also he can't talk about VRR because the PS4 Pro doesn't support VRR (neither do PS4 games played on PS5)
Maybe that's it. It still would be a weird statement as "better than bad" normally isn't classified as great.

People would hold DF over a fire for such claims.

Last edited:

Banned
Maybe that's it. It still would be a weird statement as "better than bad" normally isn't classified as great.

maybe he's also saying it's great for the hardware it's running on, which it is tbh. I didn't expect more than 40fps from the Pro here

Arioco

oh that... well, ok but that's a really light task I'd assume

I don't know how light it may be, but Insomniac said it was the first time they could create a model the way they are created for movies.

And it comes with a performance cost. Since it's only avaliable when wearing a few Spider-Man suits and you can unlock the frame rate now it can even be measured by unlocking the frame rate and comparing the fps when wearing one suit and another that doesn't support AI muscle deformation.

I have the best gaming TV on the market in terms of latency, and I played it on PS4 pro's unlocked FPS mode.
I payed it on my old TV, which was among the best gaming TVs at the time I played it (~14 to ~15ms at 60hz)

the latency in that mode is acceptable, but just about.

also I'm not giving you my subjective impression here... this has been measured you know?
God of War on PS5 at 60fps has 120ms of input lag, which is about the input lag you'd expect from a sub par 30fps game.

so again, the 60fps mode has the latency of a 30fps game. that's not great, and at 30fps it gets MUCH worse
Bullshit. Where are you sources please? From memory the first game has 60ms of latency running on PS5 (or Pro using uncapped mode when scene runs at 60fps).

Banned
Bullshit. Where are you sources please? From memory the first game has 60ms of latency running on PS5 (or Pro using uncapped mode when scene runs at 60fps).

Digital Foundry's Nvidia Reflex video. even on PC the latency is high with reflex off.

there was another video where someone measured the 30fps latency on PS4 but I can't recall how high it was so I'm not giving a number here, but I remember it being fucking wild

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Digital Foundry's Nvidia Reflex video. even on PC the latency is high with reflex off.
That isn't necessarily reflective of what's it like on PS, some engines have wildly different input latency across different platforms.
Not to mention that was the first game - and not all engines follow From software 'evolution' (or rather, lack of thereof).

Banned
So u haven't played it on ps5. Got it. I thought as much. Your "opinion" is therefore of no value. Bye

yeah what are hard numbers measured by a high speed camera?
I know, me playing it on PS5 is the better measurement for sure!

I bet you're also into astrology and healing crystals with that mentality.

this is NOT AN OPINION, it's FACTS presented by easy to parse numbers.

more than 100ms of latency in a 60fps game is BAD, it's twice as long as the latency of Destiny 2 at 60fps and actually also still more than Destiny 2 at 30fps.

Destiny 2 at 60fps has ~50ms of input lag on PS5, God of War has ~120ms

not opinions, numbers measured with slow motion cameras...

120ms at 60fps IS BAD, plain and simple. 100ms is the upper limit of "decent" for a 60fps game, and even that would already be pretty bad.
70ms is good, 50ms is optimal on console.

I don't have the latency numbers for the 30fps mode of God of War at hand sadly but I remember them being ridiculous. a good 30fps mode would be in the ~110ms zone basically, and God of War is slower than that already at 60fps

Last edited:

Banned
That isn't necessarily reflective of what's it like on PS, some engines have wildly different input latency across different platforms.
Not to mention that was the first game - and not all engines follow From software 'evolution' (or rather, lack of thereof).

they compared it with PS5 filmed with a high speed camera and frame-counted on both PC and PS5

if I remember correctly they measured basically the same, maybe 2 or 3ms difference between the two

Last edited:
Almost the same between ps4 pro and ps5 -- thats PATHETIC even for a cross gen game! What about texture resolution/texture quality/shadows? Why did we buy a ps5 with a vastly better CPU, much better GPU and Ram again?

The thing I find most upsetting now is in a year the PC version will come out with all those settings higher across the board. Again if this is even with ps4 pro in terms of graphics (not res or fps) then there's no excuse for it not to have at least SOME of those Ultra settings PC will have!

It really feels like Sony is throwing ps5 owners under the buss 8n situations like this.

Swift_Star

Banned

That’s not your problem. Know your place.

Banned
i don’t think that’s even remotely close to being your problem. Let people enjoy what they enjoy.

That’s not your problem. Know your place.

it's not your problem that I'm arguing with someone that isn't you.
my first post was simply a little quip if you will

but he is now arguing against FACTS + insinuating I have a bad TV or didn't play the game to argue away data. and as soon as someone does that it's open season to shit on them.
arguing against hard numbers that have been aggregated by a credible third party source means we a leaving the realms of opinion or simply wondering about the choices of someone, and going right into denying reality.

Last edited:
it's not your problem that I'm arguing with someone that isn't you.
my first post was simply a little quip if you will

but he is now arguing against FACTS + insinuating I have a bad TV or didn't play the game to argue away data. and as soon as someone does that it's open season to shit on them.
arguing against hard numbers that have been aggregated by a credible third party source means we a leaving the realms of opinion or simply wondering about the choices of someone, and going right into denying reality.
I hope u are aware that whatever u say doesn't change the fact that I enjoy games at 30fps and that Gow on PS5 is perfectly responsive. U read something. I played it. Case closed, u ignorant and intolerant clown.

The unlocked 40 mode was mentioned to be added on the latest patch which is why no one covered it

GymWolf

This machine learning stuff that looks better than native smell a bit fishy, what is the deal here?:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

there was another video where someone measured the 30fps latency on PS4 but I can't recall how high it was so I'm not giving a number here, but I remember it being fucking wild
What is that? The PC version? NXGamer has measured latency of the PS4 and Pro game and it's very low in the 60fps mode.

From memory it's ~140ms at 30fps and ~60ms in the performance mode which is why the performance mode, even if running at ~50fps on Pro, is easily the best way to play the game. Besides playing the game at 60fps is such a dream, you can feel the input lag is extremely low compared to most others 60fps games. Either you are wrong or DF are.

Last edited:

Banned
What is that? The PC version? NXGamer has measured latency of the PS4 and Pro game and it's very low in the 60fps mode.

From memory it's ~140ms at 30fps and ~60ms in the performance mode which is why the performance mode, even if running at ~50fps on Pro, is easily the best way to play the game. Besides playing the game at 60fps is such a dream, you can feel the input lag is extremely low compared to most others 60fps games. Either you are wrong or DF are.

DF measured it on PS5 and PC, both with a 240fps high speed camera.
and both were around 120ms latency (monitor latency removed)

Drop it or he’s going to end up making a YouTube video.

I mean that seems to be necessary with some of the more delusional folks on here.
the amount of clueless casuals on here doesn't help either.

Last edited:

tommib

DF measured it on PS5 and PC, both with a 240fps high speed camera.
and both were around 120ms latency (monitor latency removed)

I mean that seems to be necessary with some of the more delusional folks on here.
the amount of clueless casuals on here doesn't help either.
Dude you just wrote that GOW 2018 was unplayable for you and you call everyone else delusional? I don’t doubt your autistic hyper-sensitivity to these issues but you need to understand that other un-sensitive forum users couldn’t care less and are enjoying their games. Calling everyone a casual on GAF is fucking stupid.

Banned
Dude you just wrote that GOW 2018 was unplayable for you and you call everyone else delusional? I don’t doubt your autistic hyper-sensitivity to these issues but you need to understand that other un-sensitive forum users couldn’t care less and are enjoying their games. Calling everyone a casual on GAF is fucking stupid.

and you are too stupid to read it seems. I never called GOW unplayable for me. I said the 30fps mode was for my tastes unplayable. which is why I didn't play that mode and instead played the mode that was playable for my tastes.
maybe your autism doesn't let you read what I'm typing correctly.

also I present facts, while certain other individuals try to come with stupid shit like "you clearly didn't play it!!!" or "your TV must be shit" instead of accapting FACTS and just admitting that they are too casual to feel the input lag 🤷‍♂️
"I don't feel it therefore you are wrong" is a stupid comeback, and I'll shit on anyone who does that. if he just say "well I don't care about how laggy it is" all would be fine, but that's not what happened, so I'll not hold back. nothing is worse than denying facts because your subjective feelings towards a game got hurt

Last edited:

GymWolf

Hard disagree, a performance mode that does this all the time: 60-55-47-58-43-37-56- is way more distracting than locked 30 fps, you literally have hiccups every fucking second, how can it be better than locked? Gow 2018 on pro only had 60 frames in when you looked at the sky or a wall.
Yes gow was a bit input laggy/heavy at 30, but at least you didn't had the framerate dancing between 60-35 during combat or any heavy scene.

When i replayed the whole thing on ps5 with locked 60 the difference was gigantic compared to the old perf mode on pro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom