• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Resident Evil 4 Is the Greatest Video Game Remake Ever Made

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Capcom's latest action horror game Resident Evil 4 is not only a masterpiece on its own, it's also the best video game remake in the history of video game remakes. Let's break down why it works so well and which other game remakes it towers over.

• 🎮 Resident Evil 4 is the greatest video game remake ever made.
  • 🧟‍♂️ The remake was made by a team of people who deeply respect the source material.
  • 🎮 The 2005 version of Resident Evil 4 was a survival horror game with limited resources, but also an action game where you get machine guns and grenades.
  • 🧟‍♀️ The tone and aesthetic of Resident Evil 4 expertly balances fear and campiness.
  • 🤡 The self-aware humor is quintessential to what makes Resident Evil 4 tick.
  • 🎮 The original Resident Evil 4 was built around the stop and pop gameplay, where players couldn't move and shoot at the same time.
  • 🎮 In Resident Evil 4 remake, Leon can now move and shoot at the same time, but there are now more enemies on screen that are quicker and have more varied attacks.
  • 🔪 There are also tons of other improvements happening here both big and small, like being able to parry attacks with your knife and upgrading Ashley Graham's AI.
  • 🎮 The previous title holder for best video game remake ever was the 2019 remake of Resident Evil 2.
  • 🎮 The Resident Evil 4 remake is bigger, has better graphics and sound, more modes, stronger combat traversal, and gameplay variety than the original game.
  • 🎮 The remake completely honors everything that made the original game great while also creating something that still feels fresh, new, and surprising.
  • 🎮 The remake is a great example for any developer attempting to remake a classic game.

• The article discusses how Resident Evil 4 is not only a great game on its own but also the best video game remake ever made.
  • The writer breaks down why the game works so well and which other game remakes it towers over.
  • The game was first released in 2005 and falls under the action-horror genre.
  • The video discusses the impact that Resident Evil 4 has had on the gaming industry, and why it's the best remake ever.
  • It compares Resident Evil 4 with other remakes in the gaming industry and highlights why it's better.

Eimran

I'm playing it and so far I've got the say. It's truly a great game with respect to the original. It feels like a new game and the original at the same time.

I've played the original +10 times and think the remake improved the game.

Gotta say tho, it's much harder. The original's professional mode doesn't even come close to the remake's hardcore version.

Last edited:

Power Pro

Ehhhh...I'm sorry but hard disagree. There are just straight up aspects of RE4 that I think are better in the original. There are areas of the game I just did not find fun to play, especially on a second playthrough. The recoil and the aiming just always felt like crazy in both of my playthroughs also.

Resident Evil 2 remake is totally superior. I played that game like 5 times in the month it came out, and got the platinum trophy. Don't know if I care to do that here.

Neff

FlWAQR.jpg

If it's not REm4ke, what is it?

REmake? (Resi 1?) or RE2 remake maybe?

Feels like resi has cornered the remake market while everybody else is remastering

Last edited:

Hugare

I'm at the castle right now, but nah

In some things its better than the original, but in others its actually worse, I think

And the original is still very "modern" so they had way too much material to use: level layouts, gameplay systems, voice acting, boss design and etc.

I consider RE 2 better than this remake (so far) because the original is way more dated and they had to fill in the blanks and create a whole new game out of it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Best remake ever? Maybe. I had major issues with the demo, but still intend to buy the game eventually.

On my short list it's probably:
  • Resident Evil 1 (Gamecube)
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake
  • Demon's Souls (PS5)
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • NieR Replicant
I'm sure Silent Hill 2 will be up there. I haven't played Dead Space. Honorable mention to FFIV DS.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Of course it is. But then again, the source material was already one if not the greatest game ever. All they had to do was stick with the design and formula which they did. For every part cut, there is something new and different instead. Parts that were a slog on replays are now literally speedy roller coaster rides of awesome. Characters that were undeveloped like Luis are now fleshed out and made much more important.

RE2 remake and RE3 weren't very long games but they were great re-invisionings of the original game that upped the atmosphere, finessed the gameplay and streamlined them. RE4 Remake on the other hand is just as long and fuck balls crazy as the original game but with more better combat, far more dynamic enemies with freaking combo strings that go hand in hand with the new parry mechanic, and the Plaga parasite poses a much bigger threat than the original in all of it's forms.

Also, instead of OG RE4. babbie's first puzzle puzzles, now we have actual RE style puzzles that I know will utterly fuck up my speedruns. Also in the OG I was always packed with ammo. Now, I am fucking counting every bullet.

Madflavor

I still think REmake is the gold standard for how remakes should be done, but I don't see why anyone would get their panties in a bunch over this. RE4R is a phenomenally done remake. One of the greatest of all time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's the best remake ever made but lets face it, it's only competition are RE2, FF7, Twin Snakes and RE1. I love Demon Souls and SOTC but they are asset flips. Not true remakes.

RE4 feels like a full game whereas RE2 felt very short and just failed to the two playthroughs properly. It shouldve been two different campaigns. Not the same exact campaign with one different level. Huge missed oppurtunity to do something different.

RE4 just goes balls out and has some of the best setpieces in the genre. I would put MGS3, Uncharted 2, and MGS4 ahead of it in terms of setpieces, but it feels like a full fledged game that we can debate on whether or not its GOTY or GOTG alongside the Elden Rings and RDR2 of this gen.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
RE1, RE2 and RE4 are pretty much on the same level at the end of the day.

RE2 perhaps I would say is the worst because of the shitty B scenario…

lestar

REmake is still king because is the only one that remade and reimagine the original source without cutting anything and even added extra content. Remake 4 follow very close, besides the cut content and questionable changes in certain zones, the new content, better characters development, real puzzles and the real survival horror vibes the original missed compensate the balance.

REmake 2 is great, it should be aside REmake if they keeped the zapping system, all enemies and section before police station from the 2nd scenario.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The first REmake is still king, imo.

I fell off of RE4 remake pretty fast. I think I played REmake for like a month straight.

GymWolf

REmake is still king because is the only one that remade and reimagine the original source without cutting anything and even added extra content. Remake 4 follow very close, besides the cut content and questionable changes in certain zones, the new content, better characters development, real puzzles and the real survival horror vibes the original missed compensate the balance.

REmake 2 is great, it should be aside REmake if they keeped the zapping system, all enemies and section before police station from the 2nd scenario.
Din din din din

Rebirth is unbeatable.

Lol at whoever even named twin snakes...

xBlueStonex

100% agree. As much as I loved the original, the remake just improves on everything to such a degree that it's now impossible to go back. All the additional side content, challenges, unlockables, etc. etc. It's just incredible. The only slight knock I have against it is that some of the voice acting (we know who I'm referring to...) pales in comparison to the original. But the vastly improved gameplay more than makes up for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom