• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Resident Evil 4 Is the Greatest Video Game Remake Ever Made

BbMajor7th

Why Demon Souls? The game that did nothing with the gameplay that really needed updating. Not even adding the land of the giants. What a disappointment.
The original game
Why Demon Souls? The game that did nothing with the gameplay that really needed updating. Not even adding the land of the giants. What a disappointment.
The original game was a technical tyre-fire locked on a long-abandoned platform. The remake managed to preserve the experience almost exactly as it had been, but elevate every other part significantly. It also manages to hit a higher visual benchmark than RE4, whilst maintaining almost flawless performance. Would I have wanted more? Sure, but you might not have got that near-flawless level of day-one polish.

OCASM

Banned
The original game

The original game was a technical tyre-fire locked on a long-abandoned platform. The remake managed to preserve the experience almost exactly as it had been, but elevate every other part significantly. It also manages to hit a higher visual benchmark than RE4, whilst maintaining almost flawless performance. Would I have wanted more? Sure, but you might not have got that near-flawless level of day-one polish.
No.

Well, I prefer independent reviewers to the gaming giants like IGN. I understand that professional gamers have to like not be biased and try to break up their points into why something is either good or bad. But I think half the time, you get a way more honest summary from YouTubers who are just passionate fans. When you're doing it for a pay check, it's a case of being dictated to by a higher power.

It's sad how Residence of Evil never gets promo copies of new Resident Evil games, despite their dedication to covering the franchise.

Hydroxy

I hope this makes Square Enix consider Parasite Eve remake. We need more good remakes of old classic games.

GymWolf

I hope this makes Square Enix consider Parasite Eve remake. We need more good remakes of old classic games.
Leave parasite eve alone, it could end with a 4 part remake where aya travel through parallel dimensions, ugh my skin crawl just thinking about it...

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Resident Evil and survival horror, as a genre, were on the decline. Sequels to games like Silent Hill, and newer titles like Fatal Frame were failing to make a splash, and even the mighty Resident Evil was slowly tumbling down on sales. This is the story of how Resident Evil 4 SAVED Resident Evil.

While Resident Evil immediately became one of Capcom's most successful franchises, and spawned the survival horror genre, the genre peaked in popularity with Resident Evil 2. However, afterwards, after subsequent mainline RE game only sold less and less. By the 2000s, major rivals, like Silent Hill, were on the decline, and other Survival Horror franchises were failing to make a major splash.

So, Capcom needed something completely fresh to revitalize the series, and hopefully, survival horror as a whole. Fortunately, RE creator, Shinji Mikami, was sick of making the same thing over and over again, and was ready to create that change himself. Follow Dave Klein, joined by the The Sphere Hunter, as they breaks down this story, the creation of Resident Evil 4, and how it would not only save the slowly faltering Resident Evil Franchise, but go on to change the entire video game industry.

Timestamps:
0:00 - Intro
0:30 - Resident Evil's influence
1:33 - Resident Evil 2
2:00 - Survival Horror's decline
2:38 - Shinji Mikami's formula change
3:07 - The Static Camera
6:01 - OTS Aim Mechanic
8:10 -The Action
9:32 - Zombies? No!
11:09 - Dynamic Difficulty
11:41 - Humor
12:58 - Impact

Alan Wake

I really like the RE2 remake but yes, RE4 remake is slightly better. It's just an amazing remake of an amazing game. The Gamecube game has aged quite a bit so this remake was due.

Makes me wonder what they could do with a Code: Veronica remake...

Top Bottom