• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Resident Evil 4 Is the Greatest Video Game Remake Ever Made

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

sainraja

I mean, the game is good. I wouldn't call it the greatest remake ever. I wish they had actually changed something around with this one over RE2/3, but of course this is the one they didn't change a whole lot about!

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I mean, the game is good. I wouldn't call it the greatest remake ever. I wish they had actually changed something around with this one over RE2/3, but of course this is the one they didn't change a whole lot about!
You don't mess with perfection. You just update it and add new mechanics. Goddamn I can't wait for Mercs tomorrow. Hunk neck snaps and Wesker combos from across the map. Also Ada in her dress hmmmm. Can't wait to see her loadout. And Luis! With dynamite.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Preferred TLOU Part 1 more, and on PS5 its a way more polished and consistent game. So Im going with that.

Mozzarella

It's a masterpiece and i loved it more than the original, but NO.

1) Resident Evil Remake (2002)
2) Black Mesa
3) Resident Evil 4 Remake
4) Resident Evil 2 Remake
5) Binding of Issac Rebirth
6) Dead Space remake
7) Link's Awakening
8) Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver
9) Demon's Souls
10) Zero Mission

OCASM

Banned
Aiming is done through a very primitive cross fixed on the center of the screen vs an in-world laser sight that can move around the screen allowing fast motions without inducing motion sickness.

Inferior.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Aiming is done through a very primitive cross fixed on the center of the screen vs an in-world laser sight that can move around the screen allowing fast motions without inducing motion sickness.

Inferior.

You can buy a laser from the merchant.

All of your complaints in this thread so far are pretty petty lol.

OCASM

Banned
It goes live in a few hours.

It's already like if you're in new zealand.
No Ada, no Wesker.

You can buy a laser from the merchant.

The laser sight you can buy works completely different from the original's: it's just a raycast from the center of the screen that lags behind the camera. It's terrible.

All of your complaints in this thread so far are pretty petty lol.
Severe changes to fundamental gameplay mechanics = petty complaints.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

A petty complaint would be calling out the fire effects with a godawful bloom implementation.

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
Both of them are datamined and have sprites and models in the game, they will be added.

Yes, it's a reimagined remake, not a remaster. Not sure why you're expecting it to have 1 : 1 game play mechanics.
We had all characters day one in the original game.

The mechanics don't have to be 1:1, they just need to be good and retain the intent of the original. That's not the case here.

Lord willing, Silent Hill 2 shall reign supreme
James emo face is not a good sign.

Last edited:

adamsapple

We had all characters day one in the original game.

The mechanics don't have to be 1:1, they just need to be good and retain the intent of the original. That's not the case here.

That is a very highly subjective opinion. Mine is different than yours.

Lord willing, Silent Hill 2 shall reign supreme

Well, some people think SH2 is overrated as well. So it's only natural companies will not be logically remaking games in order if they can just pump out those that are the most likely to sell.

It's also not really a sequel. It's a game with a story separate from Harry Mason's ordeal. So it's also not fully required.

adamsapple

It's not opinion, it's a fact. Whether you like the new mechanics better or not, that's where the subjectivity comes in.

Yes, your post says "they just need to be good"

I think they're beyond good. Hence, subjective.

I hope they remake Resident Evil 1 again in RE Engine, so that I can see REmake fans in this thread be torn between the two versions.

It's a masterpiece and i loved it more than the original, but NO.

1) Resident Evil Remake (2002)
2) Black Mesa
3) Resident Evil 4 Remake
4) Resident Evil 2 Remake
5) Binding of Issac Rebirth
6) Dead Space remake
7) Link's Awakening
8) Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver
9) Demon's Souls
10) Zero Mission
Hell of a list, hell of a list.

Has anyone commented about the sound design in Re 4Remake tho? I play on a really nice sound system and when I fire my gun indoors...my god it's insane.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Seems pretty par for the course with the likes of Mafia: Definitive Edition, Yakuza Kiwami, Fire Emblem Echoes and others of their ilk (basically any overhaul going beyond the visuals and 1:1 to the original gameplay like OoT3D, Demon's Souls and Metroid Prime Remastered).

Granted most of them weren't remakes of games as renowned as the original RE4 but I'd say they did as good a job as RE4's remake for their source material regardless.

Last edited:

Edmund

Is it me or is Remake 4 really tough? I'm playing on normal and have already died around 50 times (or even more) and I'm only at chapter 10.

I probably died only a handful of times in Remake 2 and 3, RE 7 and RE village.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Where are all these REmake shills coming from? I just thought it was me & brian0057 brian0057 holding it down.

REmake is still king. Is RE4 remake good? Bro I'm on playthrough 6, it's good to play but I ain't watching the cutscenes again, it lacks the fun. It's too gritty, Leon wipes his ass with the knife he uses to parry the Chainsaw guy.

Gambit2483

Is it me or is Remake 4 really tough? I'm playing on normal and have already died around 50 times (or even more) and I'm only at chapter 10.

I probably died only a handful of times in Remake 2 and 3, RE 7 and RE village.
That's a good thing.
It's called Challenge.

Oh and that's nothing compared to what we endured during the 80s/90s. Game Over screens were a matter of fact 😅

OCASM

Banned
I think the new mechanics are better *and* they retain the intent of the original. 🤷‍♂️

It does everything a good remake should.
The intent: tactical shooting with a heavy emphasis on timing and positioning with strong movement restrictions to induce tension.
The remake: fast paced twitchy shooter with unlimited freedom of movement and parrying to defuse any and all tension.

"It's the same but better."

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

REmake needs a REmake at this point.
God no.

Yeah it does. The models look old, the pre rendered backgrounds are blurry, controls are archaic, everything is low res by today's standards, geometry, textures, everything.
"I want all my games to play exactly the same."

The only possible problem is the blurry backgrounds but that's been fixed via AI upscaling.

Top Bottom