• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN revises its all-time list and has named Zelda: Breath of the Wild the Greatest Game of All Time

IGN Top 100

Top-40

40. Resident Evil 4
39. Shadow of the Colossus
38. The Last of Us Part 2
37. Red Dead Redemption
36. Metal Gear Solid
35. Sid Meier's Civilization IV
34. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
33. Minecraft
32. Halo: Combat Evolved
31. Half-Life
30. Final Fantasy XIV
29. Doom
28. Tetris
27. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
26. Half-Life: Alyx
25. God of War
24. Chrono Trigger
23. Portal
22. Street Fighter II
21. Super Mario Bros.
20. Undertale
19. Bloodborne
18. BioShock
17. The Last of Us
16. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
15. Halo 2
14. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
13. Hades
12. Grand Theft Auto V
11. Super Mario Bros. 3
10. Disco Elysium
9. Half-Life 2
8. Red Dead Redemption 2
7. Super Mario 64
6. Mass Effect 2
5. Super Metroid
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3. Portal 2
2. Super Mario World
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Last edited:

Meraxes

While past versions of this list have put a big emphasis on a game’s impact and influence, we’ve essentially taken that out of the equation. Many games that left a mark and inspired future developers may not stand the test of time and be all that fun to play right now. Or, quite simply, they may have been surpassed by other games.
The list contradicts this statement.

Topher

Gold Member
woman ok GIF

Vagswarm

I remember when Super Mario Bros and Tetris were #1 and #2, lol.

Starcraft is way up at #48. Used to be in the top 10!

Warcraft 3 isn't even on the list. WTF?

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I enjoyed it, but of all time? I have a hard time agreeing. I say this as a pretty hard zelda fan. But I don't even know if anything can match 'the greatest game of all time.' Obviously it's just an opinion so have fun, but I couldn't choose. There is too much criteria: how was its release for its time? Did it make huge changes in how games are now played? How long did the average user play it? How does it compare to previous titles? Is it widely imbedded now in gaming culture reference and knowledge? It's a lot to say.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ocarina of Time, Majora mask, Resident evil 2, Chrono Trigger and Gravity rush 1 and 2 have the Honor.

Last edited:

Synless

I won’t downplay the shear number of people who loved BotW, but I rank it lower than Link’s Awakening, A Link to the Past, and Windwaker. I have no idea how people think so highly of it. The sub-dungeons sucked, the story sucked, the music was a bunch of gibberish half the time, and the side quests were so pointless and unimaginative compared to many other open world games I just don’t understand…

Gameplay was great and varied however, but that’s not enough to make it #1.

Tschumi

Well they need to include some recent games.. i like rdr2's ranking.. Ocarina of Time not being there must be intentional.. "whatever happens we must not continue to venerate OOT!"

Vagswarm

Well they need to include some recent games.. i like rdr2's ranking.. Ocarina of Time not being there must be intentional.. "whatever happens we must not continue to venerate OOT!"
Ocarina is #34. Which is strange considering they're one of the publications to give it a perfect 10 and mention its greatness time and again.

Super Mario Galaxy was their Game of the Year AND Game of the Generation and it's not even on the list... lmao.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Searches for The Secret of Monkey Island..not found.
I'm out...
We're definitely showing our age here, but for sure. It's just hard to show something that was impressive through the lens of time without someone being very open minded and tollerant of dated appearance/mechanics. Yet, so much can be learned from these games. So much.

Top Bottom