• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN revises its all-time list and has named Zelda: Breath of the Wild the Greatest Game of All Time

That is what their current audience want.
I hate these cinematic games, but there is nothing we can do about it. There are too many people buying it, and sony is getting more money.

Look at how far cry and assasin creed look now. Its all because people bought them too much. We are stuck with that formula.

I am afraid, they will give that formula to Splinter cell.

Why you even bother playing Sony games if you hate cinematic games, that's their specialty. I think they even said publicly, they want to give gamers cinematic experience....that's the formula that they will apply to all their games

Stick with developers that prioritize gameplay and don't care much about cinematic; Nintendo, From Soft

kingfey

Banned
That’s great, but it doesn’t really have anything to do with the game being one of the best of all time. Again, games being groundbreaking doesn’t mean they’re the best (and we disagree that that is groundbreaking anyway, but that’s not really the point).

I loved those GTAs back in the day, but if you go back and play them now they’re not really very good. You’re constantly fighting the controls to do anything. Many old games that were the pinnacle back then have not held up with time.
That is like saying, Cyberpunk2077 is much better than half-life, because it has good controls, graphics.
That is not how gaming works.
Great games are defined, by how well they are with time, and their current time.

In 1990-2012 had a great amount of games that defined gaming industry. Halo, doom, quake, ocarina of time, Mario 🌞, super Mario 64, smash bros, half-life, portal, metal gear ps1, ff7, l4d2, gta3, undertale, marrowind, etc. These games have pushed gaming landslide, and were the steps that built gaming foundation as we know.

They are the greatest games, known to gamers.

kingfey

Banned
Why you even bother playing Sony games if you hate cinematic games, that's their specialty. I think they even said publicly, they want to give gamers cinematic experience....that's the formula that they will apply to all their games

Stick with developers that prioritize gameplay and don't care much about cinematic; Nintendo, From Soft
I play them, because I love the characters and the series.
I am not gonna stop playing my favorite series, because developer changed the formula.
They changed splinter cell conviction, and it didn't make me hate it. Same with black list.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That is like saying, Cyberpunk2077 is much better than half-life, because it has good controls, graphics.
That is not how gaming works.
Great games are defined, by how well they are with time, and their current time.

In 1990-2012 had a great amount of games that defined gaming industry. Halo, doom, quake, ocarina of time, Mario 🌞, super Mario 64, smash bros, half-life, portal, metal gear ps1, ff7, l4d2, gta3, undertale, marrowind, etc. These games have pushed gaming landslide, and were the steps that built gaming foundation as we know.

They are the greatest games, known to gamers.
No, they’re some of the most influential and best for their time games.

Is Mario Bros better than Mario Galaxy? Is Mortal Kombat better than MK11? Gran Turismo on the PS1 was a “game changer” but it’s a completely garbage game if played today.

You’re looking at it in terms of influence and “best of their time”, which is not what “Best of all Time” means.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
No, they’re some of the most influential and best for their time games.

Is Mario Bros better than Mario Galaxy? Is Mortal Kombat better than MK11? Gran Turismo on the PS1 was a “game changer” but it’s a completely garbage game if played today.

You’re looking at it in terms of influence and “best of their time”, which is not what “Best of all Time” means.
Did you just compare mortal kombat 1 to 11? Gran turismo ps1 being garbage now?
That is idiotic statement, if I heard one.

You got spoiled by graphics so much, that you called gran turismo ps1 shit.

These games have gameplays. Despite the graphic being outdated, the gameplay is way above than current series we have now.

Mortal kombat showed gruesome ways of finishing characters, which kicked of the series. It stood above other games, because of that gruesome finishing. Without that distinction, the game would have been the same as KOF, SF, Virtua fighter, tekken, etc.

Gameplay makes the game, not the graphics. Gameplay is what made these games great.

Look at marrowind vs skyrim. Skyrim has better graphic. But Gameplay wise, marrowind wins easily. You had to learn how to navigate in the game. Follow directions without trackers. The experience was much better rewarding.

That is why those games are special. They have magical experience, which current games don't have.

GeekyDad

here we go batman GIF

Naked Lunch

I know its cliche to bash the hell out of these lists - but Hades at #13, right in front of SOTN no less, and Mass Effect 2 at #6 ahead of all the others is just too funny.
I hate this list so much.

People are not putting it on lists because of the all-stars version. And if that should count is another discussion altogether.

95% of the people who hype Mario Bros. 3 would never play it because it has no saves. Having to restart every single time is a dealbreaker, not even Tezuka or Miyamoto would go back and play that game now.

Maybe they should specify that then. But that might be a little pedantic.

It's still better than Mario World.

As much as I love it, not sure it’s up there with Mario 3, Mario 64, and Ocarina of Time

Just imagined it. What’s next?

the Greatest Game of All Time​

That is not subjective., You cant make that list, and not mention the ground breaking games, that changes video game landscape.

Ocarina of time, changed the land scape. Gta vice city/san andreas/3 are much better than gtav. They arent even close. CJ changed his body shape, according to your gameplay. How is that not ground breaking?

I am little bit sad, that you arent even considering ocarina as one of the greatest game of all time. Honestly that game, is 10x much better than BOW. Especially with graphics at that time.

If a remake happens today, That game would lay waste to BOW.

OoT has aged like milk. BotW has far better pacing, movement and combat, despite the lack of dungeons.

(Not to mention manual jump >>>>>>> auto-jump.)

Soosa

Banned
Replace Link + other Zelda characters with random characters, release it otherwise identical on PS5/xbox (or even switch) -> would it be the best game ever?

Anything with Nintendo characters get higher score, than identical game without them would get, which means that majory of Nintendo games get more credit than they should be, with fair reviewing.

Maybe gaming maganizines/sites even cant give honest review if they would dislike zelda/mario game, like how much rage they would have to withstand after that?

BOTW is good, but far from perfect. I would rate it around 7,5/10 just because wii u (switch) hardware is too weak to make it as good as it technically could be, shrines were tedious because they gave almost zero challenge and world is pretty empty + graphics are not as good as they would be on better hardware, and it kind of lacks music/it is kind of weird.

If weak hardware is "get away from jail card", then why will reviews bash ps5/xbox games about their graphics?
Because, if low quality graphics wont be a reason to low scores on weak hardware, then why would it be on stronger hardware?

Either all games should get away with ancient looking graphics, or none.

BOTW is best game on switch, but it is not best game of all time objectively, as best would have to be also technically flawless.

Nintendo games are like that hot and beautiful girl/woman, if they never get critizised because they get away because of their status, they never have to evolve into something better.

That top 30 is ass.

Bioshock instead of System Shock.
Mass Effect 2 instead of the original.
Halo 2 instead of Combat Evolved.
No Knights of the Old Republic.
No Elder Scrolls. Not even Skyrim.
No Ultima Underworld.
No Deus Ex.
No Silent Hill.
No Resident Evil.
No Thief.

You truly can't spell "ignorant" without IGN.
all these games you mention hold up?

MrFunSocks

Banned

These games have gameplays. Despite the graphic being outdated, the gameplay is way above than current series we have now.

Mortal kombat showed gruesome ways of finishing characters, which kicked of the series. It stood above other games, because of that gruesome finishing. Without that distinction, the game would have been the same as KOF, SF, Virtua fighter, tekken, etc.

Gameplay makes the game, not the graphics. Gameplay is what made these games great.

Look at marrowind vs skyrim. Skyrim has better graphic. But Gameplay wise, marrowind wins easily. You had to learn how to navigate in the game. Follow directions without trackers. The experience was much better rewarding.

That is why those games are special. They have magical experience, which current games don't have.
I’m sorry but did you just say that Mortal Kombat 1 has better gameplay than MK11? Did you even play mortal Kombat 1?

Gran Turismo, the original, is complete and utter garbage compared to GT Sport or even the dumpster fire that was GT5. The physics engine is virtually non existent. The AI is terrible. This shouldn’t be shocking lol. Tell me, what part of the gameplay in GT is better than it is in GT6?

Like I keep saying, this is not a “most influential games” list. It’s not a “best games for their time” list. It’s a best games of all time list. Some games stand up well forever, most don’t. Early 3D games especially fall into the latter.

I’m still in disbelief that you’re actually trying to say that MK1 has better gameplay than MK11 and that GT1 is a better game than any of the others lol. Unbelievable.

Even if for some reason you want to dismiss all that - it’s a subjective list. There is no objective way to make this list.

Last edited:

FraGNeM

Gameplay is often iterative. It usually gets better with time. As a development team gains experience, they get better at honing the gameplay. Commercially successful games get more funding to use in a sequel.

Of course there are exceptions, but this is generally valid. So a game like Mortal Kombat or Gran Turismo, which are heavily gameplay driven (as opposed to narrative), should be improved with a sequel. I think this is also especially true of games that don't try to be too "ambitious" with a sequel, changing a lot of mechanics that worked well previously. Sometimes this works out, but sometimes it doesn't.

Super Mario Bros. is a good example. There's a big difference between SMB 1 and SMB 3. Both games had the same technology constraints with the NES, but the developers got to make a much better product with more experience, time, and money to iterate on the gameplay.

Or even simpler, take Tetris. Newer versions let you speed drop pieces, you can slide pieces after they land, the piece shuffling is more fair, etc.

MrA

Banned
Cant spell ignorant without ign, but boy howdy am I going to worked up about some goofy top 100 list they put out

OldBoyGamer

Banned
BOTW has the be the best game of all time that impacted the industry the LEAST.

Seriously…the game released in 2017 and nothing has even tried to care to do what it did other than Immortals a year ago.
I can say that when it released, conversations were being had in pretty much every dev studio around the world about what can we take from BotW and put into our game?

The problems were that most of us just couldn’t figure out how. And the reason for that was that BotW is such a self contained eco system that unless you’re going to make a similar game - like Genshin impact for example - it’s hard to take one system and use it.

Not many games would want BotW’s climbing mechanic, or fire mechanic or weapon degradation mechanic for example. Even the design of the world itself is so hard to do and not many games care for that level of subtlety tbh. (We’re working on a pseudo open world AA game right now and we left BotW’s world design behind as ‘unachievable’).

That’s not an argument for it being the goat btw (even Though I think it is). I’m just trying to give an answer to your direct point. At least a reason why I think anyway.

GymWolf

You guys trash on BOTW but praise Genshin Impact which basically copy BOTW? You guys taste in gaming suck@ss
I played a bit of genshin and in those few hours you can already notice:

Better combat
Better graphic
Actual rewards for exploration
Better narrative and va

I'm sure that if i play a couple of hours more i'm gonna discover other things where it's better than botw except the physics system.

It is the same as fenyx rising, sure they are botw clone but they do many things better because botw was fundamentally a very flawed game to begin with.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Hey, it's all subjective. But man, I can't say I agree with that, or their list, lmao. Being IGN, that isn't much of a surprise.

OoT has aged like milk. BotW has far better pacing, movement and combat, despite the lack of dungeons.

(Not to mention manual jump >>>>>>> auto-jump.)

You're joking, right? The combat system where swordplay is dumbed down and every weapon breaks before it can kill anything so you basically beat every single enemy by throwing a tree at them from a distance (If you have to, but usually you may as well not deal with combat at all because you'll eventually deal with no-name mooks that are tougher than Ganon himself) is "better combat" than OoT?

It's not even like OoT has the best combat in the series, either.

S0ULZB0URNE

I played a bit of genshin and in those few hours you can already notice:

Better combat
Better graphic
Actual rewards for exploration
Better narrative and va

I'm sure that if i play a couple of hours more i'm gonna discover other things where it's better than botw except the physics system.

It is the same as fenyx rising, sure they are botw clone but they do many things better because botw was fundamentally a very flawed game to begin with.
Neither of those game have the soul that BOTW has and it's not even close.

GymWolf

Neither of those game have the soul that BOTW has and it's not even close.
Sure sure.

Maybe use some less abstract concept to deflect how both soulless clones do things better than the original, soul is not gonna cut it.

I mean i get what you say, they are shameful clones, but they improve in some of the original formula, i don't fault people for liking these games more than botw.

If it make you feel better, i think that all 3 are 7\10 games.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Now Breath of the Wild is no question a top 10 Action Adventure open world game of all time, it's complete and the game holds a 96 on review boards

w5lc4Hh.png

GymWolf

Soul=feel/gameplay and BOTW has it.
These things should matter most no?
Nah, soul is soul, i understand the concept of having a soul, being the original, being a project of love etc.

But gameplay feel is another thing entirely, combat is legit better in both, graphic is legit better, rewards for exploration are legit better (not by that much in fenyx), some things are arguable, yes.

If we talk about feel and gameplay, botw doesn't even has a fucking basic feature like a roll\evade button when you are not in lock on mode, that means that every time you don't use the lock for whatever reason, you can't avoid a hit, you just do that small mongoloid jump, 80% of my deaths were for this idiotic reason and literally any fucking action rpg\adventure has an independent evade button because they know that you are not always in lock on mode during fights.

People praising the gameplay\combat in botw are always a mistery to me.

Last edited:
This game is an absolute masterpiece!!! ......I just discovered a few things that left me in awe, won't spoil them here....

105+ hours and still nowhere near the half-point of the game

brian0057

Banned
Replace Link + other Zelda characters with random characters, release it otherwise identical on PS5/xbox (or even switch) -> would it be the best game ever?
Yes.
I mean, you have people unironically hitting you with vapid assertions like "Breath of the Wild is a terrible Zelda game" because of the dungeos (or lack there of) and boss fights.

People like freedom in videogames but not too much of it. They don't like that the story is completely up to you, that you can end the game as soon as you leave the Great Plateau, or that literally everything that isn't defeating Ganon is optional. They hate that exploration is its own reward.

This is why the pablum Sony makes they dare to call "games" are so popular. They're cinematic extravagganzas where player choice is almost non-existent. "Games" that favor thrill rides akin to a roller coaster. Hell, the God of War devs used DSP to determine the difficulty of their game. DSP! Why the fuck would you play that? Because it sure as hell isn't for the challenge. If your story can be experienced through a YouTube video and lose nothing in the process, then the gameplay is just a superfluous appendage no better than quick time events.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
IGN is such a joke:

BOTW is a good game. Is it great? No. Games like the Witcher 3 absoluetly shit all over it.

Take BOTW, replace Zelda and link then release game. 8 at best

Lognor

Banned
IGN is such a joke:

BOTW is a good game. Is it great? No. Games like the Witcher 3 absoluetly shit all over it.

Nah Witcher 3 was way too long and not that good. If they replaced Geralt with Link and Ciri with Zelda maybe it would have been better. As it stands it was just okay. BotW has got it beat easily. Best game ever? Yes, BotW is. No question about it.

brian0057

Banned
IGN is such a joke:

The Witcher 3 becomes nearly unplayable without the minimap and that condescending Witcher sense.
Breath of the Wild is arguably a much better game without it.

That alone makes Zelda the superior title.

Top Bottom