• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Seriously, Nintendo, It’s Time to Release a Switch Pro

Nautilus

Banned
Here's an interesting quote from Miyamoto back in 2018:

March of 2023 would be 6 full year. Since most expect Switch 2 at 2024, and if that releases on fall, that would make the Switch almost 8 years, which fits in that timeline.

But I don't think Miyamotto meant that consoles took 6 years to be replaced but rather those consoles were supported for 6 years. And that word is important.A new gen can begin, but the older gen can live alongside it for a while.That's what the cross gen period is about. And that's what I think he means. Switch 2 can come out tomorrow, but the Switch will still get games for a while even when it gets substituted.

Reactions: TLZ

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do they even have an affordable Tegra ready to be enough of an upgrade?

The one in the Switch were old gen cores nVidia weren't even moving until they worked out a deal with Nintendo.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
08HWWqJ.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
yeah the COVID lockdowns were a massive boon for the Switch

the time for a Pro was when they opted for the OLED model instead, just give us a Switch 2 with Tears of the Kingdom
It really would not surprise me at all if the OLED Switch was meant to be paired with modestly upgraded hardware, a la the DSi and New 3DS. It makes sense with the timing and Nintendo’s past practices. But with everything all screwed up they decided to skip that and just ride it out.

Ol'Scratch

Nintendo is going to release the same Switch OLED model but add a 720p webcam so you can put your face in screenshots and play AR games for $350 and call it the SwitchUp and people will swallow it up like it is a Christ bukakke

zzill3

Banned
Switch is still selling better than playstation and xbox right?
Despite all it’s problems, the new pokemon games are selling millions

Enthusiasts put too much emphasis on graphics and game performance when most people don’t care about it, we won’t need a new switch for years

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Switch Pro is way overdue at this point..

That said if they’d release a Switch Pro alongside Tears of the Kingdom I’d be there day one.

daveonezero

Banned
I want a Zen 4 portable that has 10 hours of battery life, 1080p 120hz oled, and removable joycons with a GameCube like analog triggers.

All in the size of a Switch.

It was clear a long time ago some games on switch are restricted by the hardware.

Idiots are the ones buying these games and ports and then complain.

If you buy Witcher on Switch you understand what you are doing. Or at least should.

The switch liberty is vast an a lot of games run at decent frame rates and look great.

Last edited:

vj27

Banned
Haven’t touched my switch oled (heavily, was addicted to this game) since I beat Metroid dread. That an halo were my games of the year 2021, ever since then I haven’t touched it. Bought MH rise and had some fun with that for a bit, haven’t gotten nowhere in Pokémon Arceus (I should get back to that tho) lol and I was honestly going to get sonic frontiers for the switch but THANK GOD I didn’t.

Yeah if it was stronger I’d play it more simply to play games I already own on the go. But playing doom on the go in a much much much worse state doesn’t appeal to me. It’s why I’ve been thinking of switching (ha) to the steam deck. I just genuinely do not like PC gaming, to many variables of shit that can go wrong.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I love Nintendo games, Kirby and the Forgotten Land is my GOTY, but I just straight up don't play my Switch 99% of the time any more.

I've always played in docked mode and I'm just not going to play Xbox 360 era looking games at sub HD resolutions with no anti-aliasing on my 77" OLED.

Done with it.
Maybe something like Switch Dock Pro would work?

Orta

Banned
Most people who want a Switch already have one, a Switch Pro likely won't shift huge numbers.

They need to start phasing the Switch out and announce an all new bells and whistles Switch 2 console with exclusive content for late 2023.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
yeah the COVID lockdowns were a massive boon for the Switch

the time for a Pro was when they opted for the OLED model instead, just give us a Switch 2 with Tears of the Kingdom
Where you on the market for a Switch on 2020? I had to get a lite for my GF after giving up on finding a normal one for a reasonable price, then I got an used big one months after when supply was barely coming to normal... COVID may have busted some switch games (as did gaming in general) sales, but switch itself was completely lacking everywhere, even here in latinamerica, due to components shortages, it definitely didn't help Switch... As if the sole reason people bought it was the COVID lol, people wanted the Switch because it had games people wanted to play more than in other platforms and Nintendo couldn't meet demand

graywolf323

Gold Member
Where you on the market for a Switch on 2020? I had to get a lite for my GF after giving up on finding a normal one for a reasonable price, then I got an used big one months after when supply was barely coming to normal... COVID may have busted some switch games (as did gaming in general) sales, but switch itself was completely lacking everywhere, even here in latinamerica, due to components shortages, it definitely didn't help Switch... As if the sole reason people bought it was the COVID lol, people wanted the Switch because it had games people wanted to play more than in other platforms and Nintendo couldn't meet demand
Animal Crossing releasing right as the COVID lockdowns took effect was a huge boon for Switch sales, everything saw massive sales spikes there early on (especially when the first stimulus checks went out here in America) but Switch especially skyrocketed

tkscz

Well considering how successful the current switch is regardless of it's hardware being from 2014 (2015 depending on which version you have) I don't see them giving a fuck enough to do it.

Their only competition in the market is the steam deck and that's no where near what it would have to be in sales for Nintendo to give a shit. People outside the hardcore audience don't even know the thing exists.

While I wouldn't mind a new Switch that runs off Ampere or better Ada (4nm would be really good on heat and battery) I don't see that even being announced until the Switch sales decrease drastically.

I want a Zen 4 portable that has 10 hours of battery life, 1080p 120hz oled, and removable joycons with a GameCube like analog triggers.

More likely than not it'll be ARM Hercules based with either Ampere or Ada for the GPU. Nvidia does the hardware for the switch and they are still contracted to do so and with how stupidly successful the Switch is, I don't see them dropping that contract.

They could easily play the simple route again, just slap a Orin in a tablet chassis, underclock it for battery life and call it day.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Animal Crossing releasing right as the COVID lockdowns took effect was a huge boon for Switch sales, everything saw massive sales spikes there early on (especially when the first stimulus checks went out here in America) but Switch especially skyrocketed
Switch was already lacking on stores when AC came out, like for a month or two due to some NAND memory not being available for Nintendo to produce more units, I know because I was in the market for a Switch for months at that time.

I don't think a Switch pro was about to be released btw, COVID made everyone struggle and another sku would have made Nintendo struggle even more, right now it probably is the right moment since some components that were available before started to disappear from providers like HDMI 1.x, the reason why OLED has 2.0.

I'd like a more powerful console for more stable FPS but I'm not counting on that at least until next FY starts.

MacReady13

I have been knocking Nintendo for their hardware for a while now, but Nintendo super-fanboys seemed to think that any critique meant I was console warring. In addition to a Switch 2/Switch Pro, I would also like Sony to release a new, upgraded PSP/Vita. If we could get 2024 releases of both of these things then I would be a very happy man.
I agree. Just wish Sony would have taken their handhelds far more seriously by releasing 1st party quality games instead of off shoots of their 1st party stuff. That and those stupid prices for memory cards for the Vita! Other than that, they had the power to compete... Nintendo though are seemingly a very greedy company. They do make my fav 1st party games but fucked if I'm going to play Zelda on my 4k screen in sub 1080p visuals at sub 30 frames a second.

they don't need to do shit right now. there's no rush.

maybe in 2024 we'll get their next console. with TOTK out next year and no doubt another pokémon game we all know the Switch is gonna keep selling like crazy.

and when they do get around to it they don't need to do much. beef up the cpu/gpu a bit, double the RAM, and support DLSS/FSR and they are good.

Pretty sure they will announce soon. I just bought one and I have worse luck ever.

Btw , I play mainly on oled 65 inch 4K, switch looks awful (it make me dizzy too). Any device that upscale and clean the image ?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Forget the Switch Pro.

Give me a Switch 2 (super Switch?) with a 10 inch OLED screen and more power than a steam deck!

OuterLimits

There was zero chance of a Switch Pro happening once chip shortages and overall significant supply chain issues occurred.

It sucks, but that's reality.

0neAnd0nly

I know if I was in charge of Nintendo, I would absolutely take advice from a has-been game blog that has gotten caught plagiarizing multiple times and hiring “journalist” that don’t even play games.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
No it's not. The Switch is still selling. And to be honest, I really don't think they are gonna just update the hardware. It's probably not gonna come until they have all the components ready. There will be something other than a new chip set..

mysticboy

No, it's been past time for devs to either optimize their games for the Switch or spare us the BS and not port overly demanding games to the platform at all.

Labadal

They have to get the timing right. The hardware may be old, but it is also still selling a lot of stock. Do Nintendo release a Switch 2 while the OG Switch is hot, or do they wait for Switch sales to wind down slightly? They can't wait until the Switch is totally "dead", though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2023 announcement, maybe during late summer, with a release in late 2023/early 2024. I don't see Nintendo waiting until 2025. Then again, I have absolutely no knowledge about this stuff, and am just having fun speculating.

AndrewRyan

The 3DS is still my favorite true portable since it fits in my pocket without a case. I'd be interested in a clamshell Switch.

Lokaum D+

after selling 10 mil pokemon games in 3 days on a 15 years old hardware im pretty sure that Nintendo dont think that its time for a new console

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity was when I realized we needed better hardware. Game ran like ass. Since then things have gotten progressively worse.

I should be excited about Crisis Core on Switch but all I can think about is how does it run? :messenger_fearful:
Ya HW was a disaster. I couldn’t believe they released the game that horrible for what was a pretty new console at the time. Just a disaster.

I love Nintendo but everyone seems to mention Nintendo puts out quality first party software. In reality only a few of their IPs get the top quality treatment while others seem to get a pass being half a game or something that runs like ass. Sony and MS would get shit on if they released their first party games like that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
No, it's been past time for devs to either optimize their games for the Switch or spare us the BS and not port overly demanding games to the platform at all.
The issue is that even Nintendo first party games would obviously benefit from better hardware. Xeno 3 and Bayo 3 are clearly being held back.

mysticboy

The issue is that even Nintendo first party games would obviously benefit from better hardware. Xeno 3 and Bayo 3 are clearly being held back.
They need to optimize their games better as well. They are building these games from the ground up on Switch and nothing but Switch. They have absolutely zero excuses.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They need to optimize their games better as well. They are building these games from the ground up on Switch and nothing but Switch. They have absolutely zero excuses.
What does the word “optimize” mean to you? It’s a five year old console with an even older ARM chip at its core. There is no secret sauce in there left to pull better performance. At this point it’s just a series of choices with an associated trade-off.

kubricks

At this point I stopped caring what Nintendo do about their hardware.

I wish so much for a slightly better hardware so the exclusive games can be ran at a stable fucking 30fps, and port that still somewhat reassemble the original version. Now that my Steamdeck is arriving after Christmas, I no longer see the switch as the one stop handheld.

The recent Nier Automata port was a great effort though, I wish all the port and some exclusive (Age of Calamity) have the same treatment.

Top Bottom