• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Seriously, Nintendo, It’s Time to Release a Switch Pro

eh, switch 1 is still selling so well. not worth the trouble to make a pro.
switch 2 gonna come with DLSS and a BOTW remaster.

I'll never understand people who waste their time demanding that Nintendo try to compete on technology. They've confirmed that they are opposed to bleeding edge tech both vocally on many occasions and in practice given that everyone of their home consoles have been behind their competitors going as far back as the N64.
nah, only since the wii did nintendo readily & publicly concede technical prowess.

n64 and gamecube competed directly with their rivals technologically, and were in many ways superior.
i mean, the n64 box itself says "unsurpassed 64-bit graphics [...] running at an awesome 94 mhz".
they were proud.

only when you get to the wii does nintendo start to say "no comment" when asked about their hardware.

Komatsu

Though it is true the X1 is showing its age and was already an outdated platform in 2017, the disgusting performance of the recent Pokemon game and others is mostly due to developer incompetence.

Doom (2016), Wolfenstein: New Order, Doom Eternal, The Witcher 3 and Nier Automata all had very competent Switch ports. It can be done - it's just that some studios simply don't bother.

TLZ

Banned
Also to the people saying DLSS, that's great, but how do we know they won't go with AMD for their next hardware? AMD has come a long way since 2015-2017. They're doing good with portable too. Plus they have FSR now, and it's also improved a lot. The issue with this means we possibly won't get BC, or maybe they can still work something out.

Don't dismiss it though and think they'll only stick with NVIDIA. Maybe NVIDIA don't have the needed hardware, or maybe it's costly. At the end of the day it's all business to them. Best hardware for the cheapest cost. They want profit out of the gate. Pretty sure they're looking at the Steam Deck. AMD powered for $399. They can do good business with them. I'm pretty sure AMD would jump at the opportunity head first.

It'll be interesting to see who they go with next.

Woopah

Also to the people saying DLSS, that's great, but how do we know they won't go with AMD for their next hardware? AMD has come a long way since 2015-2017. They're doing good with portable too. Plus they have FSR now, and it's also improved a lot. The issue with this means we possibly won't get BC, or maybe they can still work something out.

Don't dismiss it though and think they'll only stick with NVIDIA. Maybe NVIDIA don't have the needed hardware, or maybe it's costly. At the end of the day it's all business to them. Best hardware for the cheapest cost. They want profit out of the gate. Pretty sure they're looking at the Steam Deck. AMD powered for $399. They can do good business with them. I'm pretty sure AMD would jump at the opportunity head first.

It'll be interesting to see who they go with next.
We already know from the Nvidia hack that they are working on a new SoC for Nintendo that uses DLSS. I can't see any reason for them to go with AMD instead at this stage.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I do not believe there ever will be a switch 2. Nintendo does not repeat the same idea twice. I expect something different from their next gen console.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Nintendo has looked at the market and don’t the research and said, “we good, you get an oled screen”.

No switch pro because you didn’t support the Wii U.

TLZ

Banned
We already know from the Nvidia hack that they are working on a new SoC for Nintendo that uses DLSS. I can't see any reason for them to go with AMD instead at this stage.
Maybe it was something they were considering at some stage and changed their mind. Maybe for the rumoured Pro that never happened?

But I can only put myself in their shoes and see what's better and makes more sense for me business wise. Plans can change if we're still at early stages.

TLZ

Banned
Don't name it switch 2, switch u or anything with the name switch in it.

Don't do a Wii/Wii U again.
If it does exactly the same thing then 2 makes total sense. Numbering is actually the easiest and simplest way to let people know it's the new thing.

But Nintendo gonna Nintendo. They've never used numbering before so who knows.

Last edited:

Rykan

Though it is true the X1 is showing its age and was already an outdated platform in 2017, the disgusting performance of the recent Pokemon game and others is mostly due to developer incompetence.
It was not outdated at all. Not using the latest chipset =/= outdated. No console uses the latest chipset because that would make the system unaffordable. The price - performance ratio was completely reasonable when the system came out in 2017.

Common don't play victim. You talk as though somebody conned you into buying a switch. Everybody and their mother knew what a switch was. You're the only one pretending to be fooled and sorry I don't buy that
I don't see where I play a victim, but if that makes you sleep at night, sure... Im a victim... :D

It was not outdated at all. Not using the latest chipset =/= outdated. No console uses the latest chipset because that would make the system unaffordable. The price - performance ratio was completely reasonable when the system came out in 2017.
No it wasnt. Come on!

Tams

Gold Member
Nintendo can't go the AYA/Steam Deck/GPD route.

Those bulky things just won't appeal to most people and a lot of Nintendo's audience.

With USB 4 finally being a thing and with bandwidth to not waste eGPUs' performance, they could really do with an eGPU solution.

Let people who care about how many pixels are on screen buy a more expensive dock.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

We have a fairly accurate idea of what's going to be in the future switch 2 and it will be a competent hardware for an hybrid (as was the first switch), but I don't see it releasing before end of 2023 or sometimes in 2024.

Boy bawang

No it wasnt. Come on!

There was nearly nothing better within a similar power envelope, especially at 300 bucks. At most, they could have released a 16nm version of the chip, which they ended up doing in 2019. You can't have an hybrid console on par with the current generation home console. Would you say that the steamdeck is outdated? (Spoiler: it's not)

The next switch should be a bit better than a PS4, and DLSS should help it reach ps4pro quality at best. And that still won't be outdated either.

Woopah

Maybe it was something they were considering at some stage and changed their mind. Maybe for the rumoured Pro that never happened?

But I can only put myself in their shoes and see what's better and makes more sense for me business wise. Plans can change if we're still at early stages.
Unlikely, the SoC is something that was still being worked on recently and was nearing completion.

It wasn't an early prototype or something just considered. It's a new SoC for Nintendo that Nvidia has been building for them since around 2019.

My personal expectation is that this is going to be a Gameboy Colour type situation, and that we see it announced in the first half of next year. But that last sentence was just speculation.

Komatsu

The Tegra X1 was released in 2015 and its GPU is based on Nvidia's Maxwell architecture, which was already pretty long in the tooth in 2017. There is no other way to describe a graphics processing unit with the same architecture as the GeForce GTX 745 other than outdated. It'd be like the Xbox Series X releasing in 2020 with a GPU based on the GCN4 (Radeon 400) instead of RDNA2, which is what we got. This is not in of itself a criticism, mind you. It was a safe design choice on Nintendo's part, as there was already one gaming device on the market using the chipset.

Last edited:

Hurahn7

Banned
Whatever the successor to the Switch is, it needs to scale to Oled TVs and not look like Vaseline is smeared on the screen.

Tams

Gold Member
Whatever the successor to the Switch is, it needs to scale to Oled TVs and not look like Vaseline is smeared on the screen.

Has nothing to do with resolution. And as far as I know, the Switch doesn't support HDR, so there are no colour reproduction issues with any panel type.

Woopah

The Tegra X1 was released in 2015 and its GPU is based on Nvidia's Maxwell architecture, which was already pretty long in the tooth in 2017. There is no other way to describe a graphics processing unit with the same architecture as the GeForce GTX 745 other than outdated. It'd be like the Xbox Series X releasing in 2020 with a GPU based on the GCN4 (Radeon 400) instead of RDNA2, which is what we got. This is not in of itself a criticism, mind you. It was a safe design choice on Nintendo's part, as there was already one gaming device on the market using the chipset.
What could they have used instead for a $300 device released in early 2017?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What could they have used instead for a $300 device released in early 2017?
Obviously they should have stolen Apple's A16 plans and somehow made it cost a fraction. Duh. That's what we're comparing to, $1500 devices of 2022. Duh.

Last edited:

HofT

As much as I'd like to see new Nintendo Hardware, developers are still making games with the base PS4 and Xbox One in mind. So, with that baseline still in place it's still not necessary for Nintendo to upgrade.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Guys, maybe I'm reading too much into this but this statement by unity last version notes seem like they're onto something, take a look:
DirectX 12 is now the recommended graphics API for Windows and Xbox and lays the foundation for advanced graphics features such as ray tracing, which is now available for Xbox Series X|S. PlayStation® 5 and Nintendo Switch™ are now supported with the latest incremental player build process, providing improved iteration times for these platforms.
https://unity.com/releases/2022-2

I don't think Scarlet and Violet running like garbage is entirely the Switch's fault.
Game Freak is bad with Nintendo hardware since the begining of the franchise, during the final stages of development of Pokemon Gold e Silver, Saturo Iwata has to interveen to put Kanto, due to Game Freak messing with the code, the situation got worse during the sixth generation, i recall when i played Pokemon Y and used the 3D, the framerate droped dratically.

zcaa0g

Banned
I can wait.

I'd rather the next Nintendo console be a graphics powerhouse in 2-3 years rather than a mild upgrade next year, as described in this article. 4k on a handheld? Who cares about that? It's so small 99% of people won't be able to tell the difference.

They would notice when the Switch is connected to a large display. It's not just a handheld after all.

ultrazilla

Guys, maybe I'm reading too much into this but this statement by unity last version notes seem like they're onto something, take a look:

https://unity.com/releases/2022-2

Read it carefully. It says ray tracing only for the Xbox S/X and Playstation 5. I highlighted the sentence for you. It's easy to mistake they're saying the Nintendo Switch now has ray tracing capability.

DirectX 12 is now the recommended graphics API for Windows and Xbox and lays the foundation for advanced graphics features such as ray tracing, which is now available for Xbox Series X|S. PlayStation® 5 and Nintendo Switch™ are now supported with the latest incremental player build process, providing improved iteration times for these platforms.

Nintendo would be absolutely crazy to release a new system without it being backwards compatible with the Switch. They need to stick with the home console/portable hybrid design.
At this point, add DLSS and double the ram and memory with a nice SOC that can give us respectable PS4 Pro type performance. Target 2k/60fps(upscaled to 4k).

I just hope Nintendo doesn't fuck this up.

Kilau

Gold Member
Read it carefully. It says ray tracing only for the Xbox S/X and Playstation 5. I highlighted the sentence for you. It's easy to mistake they're saying the Nintendo Switch now has ray tracing capability.
I think it’s reads that ray tracing is available on series s/x.

PS5 and Switch have latest incremental build, no ray tracing.

Nintendo would be absolutely crazy to release a new system without it being backwards compatible with the Switch. They need to stick with the home console/portable hybrid design.
At this point, add DLSS and double the ram and memory with a nice SOC that can give us respectable PS4 Pro type performance. Target 2k/60fps(upscaled to 4k).

I just hope Nintendo doesn't fuck this up.

PS4 Pro performance is unrealistic.

Deerock71

Ive stopped playing my switch because the lack of power is becoming too obvious.
If you don't know what the Switch is capable of at this point...
insult moron GIF

AngelMuffin

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity was when I realized we needed better hardware. Game ran like ass. Since then things have gotten progressively worse.

I should be excited about Crisis Core on Switch but all I can think about is how does it run? :messenger_fearful:
That was more of a Koei-Tecmo thing. There games run like shit.

Everyone is delusional if they think we are getting a Switch 2 that is comprable to a Steam Deck. Even that is less than what people have said in this thread as an upgrade to the Switch. Steam Deck is 1280 x 800 screen res and modern games running 30 - 40 fps on low for most PS4 - Xbox One era games WITH 2 hours battery life tops (Yes, I know some games run better, I own a Steam Deck and enjoy it very much). On top of that its much bulkier than a Switch and Valve is on record saying $400 for the Steam Deck was a "painful" price point to hit. Nintendo doesn't sell hardware at a loss or use cutting edge tech for many years now, this is a well known fact.

Last edited:
Everyone is delusional if they think we are getting a Switch 2 that is comprable to a Steam Deck. Even that is less than what people have said in this thread as an upgrade to the Switch. Steam Deck is 1280 x 800 screen res and modern games running 30 - 40 fps on low for most PS4 - Xbox One era games WITH 2 hours battery life tops (Yes, I know some games run better, I own a Steam Deck and enjoy it very much). On top of that its much bulkier than a Switch and Valve is on record saying $400 for the Steam Deck was a "painful" price point to hit. Nintendo doesn't sell hardware at a loss or use cutting edge tech for many years now, this is a well known fact.
The only way I see a Switch 2 possibly being more capable than a Steam deck is if Nvidia takes the hit on costs to swing its dick around and say, "SEE WE ARE THE KINGS OF ALL... EAT A DICK AMD"

Also DLSS isn't some magic technology lol, you need to have a decently high resolution image to pump into it. Honestly sub 1080p being upscaled by DLSS doesn't look THAT great. It's designed more for running a game at 1440p natively and upscaling to 4k to increase FPS while retaining image quality.

Top Bottom