• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN | Starfield Feels like Xbox's Last Chance at Redemption

Crayon

Game they had nothing to do with lol. Media has been dying to make a horse race out of blue vs green for a decade now. There will be infinite chances.

feynoob

Banned
You do not know that. It's a talking point and nothing more without data. You might be right, but without some data to support the claim it sounds like PR.
It's not pr, as that is the most optimal data.

The key reason for that is that you don't own any games that are on gamepass. So you have to pay that monthly fees.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
According to your logic bribing is already rife necause there is no way these Sony and Nintendo games that nobody plays after a couple of weeks are worthy of their scores and I've played quite a few of them.

According to your logic mate, games should only receive good scores only if they're played for more than 2 weeks ? what ?
Say, TLOU (just an example) should receive lesser scores compared to...Deadly premonition 2 just 'cause the former is around the 15hour mark while the latter at 30 ?

Seriously mate, this is what you got from my post ?

Well, let's give every MMO out there a 10/10 then and be done with it if that's the case 😁

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Every first party game gets additional scrutiny because it directly represents the brand. Starfield is no different. What is really driving the additional scrutiny is Microsoft's failure to consistently provide quality. This should not be the case. I'm a big fan of BGS as well and I'm expecting Starfield to be great. Microsoft just has to deliver.
Starfield is very different. It was greenlit and the bulk of development happened before Microsoft came into the picture so I strongly disagree.

Killer8

The article is obviously meant to be clickbait and inflammatory but there is a nugget of truth to it, at least as far as the Series X is concerned. We are almost 3 years into the generation and nearing what could be considered a half way point, if past generations are anything to go by, and yet there is very little notable about the Series X. It's not absolutely dire like some say and I think it's a bit better than Xbox One was at its midpoint, but in comparison to the competition it's been tepid. And I say this as a Series X owner who uses the hardware more than the PS5 - to play backwards compatible games.

I pointed out in another thread that we've still not seen much of games which were announced with the machine in 2020. Meanwhile Sony have released every game at their reveal event and then some. Why has Forza taken 3 years? Where's Hellblade 2? Where is Fable? Avowed? Everwild? Perfect Dark? Indiana Jones? State of Decay 3? Gears 6? In the words of Biden: "c'mon man". With Xbox you get a CGI reveal and then radio silence for years. I'm starting to question if half these games will end up as cross-gen titles... with the next Xbox.

And once that batch is out, will it even matter once Sony basically lap them in the years following their upcoming not-E3 showcase? Sony are onto phase 2 while Xbox's phase 1 isn't even off the ground.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Lol, 90% all the "outraged xbox" owners on forums are actually ps5 owners who've never touched the game and dont own an xbox. What a dumb article.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Meme i made for this thread and everyone waiting for No Man's Skyrim

QbxOxQH.jpg

Luigi Mario

The author of the article, Destin, is very enthusiastic about Xbox and even has a YouTube channel dedicated to it. If you think he enjoys writing this stuff for clicks you're fooling yourself. Hyperbole aside, there's truth to what he says. To outright dismiss this as clickbait comes across as damage control.
If Ryan McCaffrey was the author of the article, I wouldn't have been surprised, but that it is Destin Legarie really speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Such a phony premise this article is built on.
"Redfall was supposed to be THAT BIG AAA GAME Xbox has needed."..get the fuck out of here.

People were excited about it because it was another new IP from Austin, developed in tandem with Lyon's Deathloop.
Nobody ever viewed Deathloop or any previous Arkane game for that matter, as some huge AAA blockbuster..so there is no reason to (in hindsight) pretend like Redfall was supposed to be the next potential billion-dollar franchise (especially when we now know MS was hands off on it).

I mean Microsoft directly impacted Psychonauts 2's development and still, I've never seen anyone in media/podcast/forums/social media (besides supporters of Xbox) credit Microsoft for how brilliant it turned out...but Redfall? Sure, all Microsoft.

Whatever gets you clicks.

Most folks had ridiculously low expectations for Redfall and even those were not met. Not sure where you are getting this fictional expectations for a "billion-dollar franchise" narrative from.

Starfield is very different. It was greenlit and the bulk of development happened before Microsoft came into the picture so I strongly disagree.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? What you said earlier isn't that far off with what I am saying here.

Because Zenimax is carrying Xbox right now. Of the three big AAAs expected this year, two are from Zenimax. We all know Redfall was a flop, so everything is riding on Starfield now. Forza is the third, and while it’s a good title to have, it’s not that bread and butter experience people have been clamoring for.

We’re three years into the current generation. If their internal studios have something good to show then now is the time to do it. It’s been two years since FH5, their last great game. Halo Infinite… well yeah.

Are you saying Microsoft should not get credit or blame for anything Bethesda has produced or will produce? For how long?

Last edited:

Slikk360

Honestly this Redfall narrative is going out of hand. Nobody expected Redfall to be a masterpiece.
I don't agree with Starfield being there last chance but, it definitely needs to impress and deliver to turn things around. No one many have expected redfall to be a masterpiece but it certainly didn't deliver on anyone's expectations from xbox developers to fans.

Flutta

Banned
He’s not wrong. Starfield being associated with the Xbox brand brings a whole new level of scrutiny to the game. As a fan of BGS games in general, I’m excited because I’ll know if it’s good or not, but either way it’s going to be a shitshow. Can’t wait.
Starfield being associated with Bugthesda and Lying Todd doesn't help it's case either. But yeah i agree with you it will be a bigger shitshow because Phil was busy playing with his balls instead of creating good games for the Xboys.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
When will this drama end.
Honestly?

When Phil gets demoted to head of Xbox marketing, his current position gets replaced by someone more competent as a videogame business executive and Microsoft starts being competent at running their dev studios as a result.

feynoob

Banned
Honestly?

When Phil gets demoted to head of Xbox marketing, his current position gets replaced by someone more competent as a videogame business executive and Microsoft starts being competent at running their dev studios as a result.
Changing management doesn't change their situation that much right now.

This is a problem that accumulated since the start of OG Xbox. Sony fixed this problem during PS3, while Xbox was focusing on 3rd party partnership.

They needed a clear acquisition plan to combat situations like this

The sad thing about this is, Xbox hopes and dreams are pinned on this exclusive and they didn't even come up with the idea or start any of the development.

They bought a large publisher who was half way through making it already. Which makes it even more amusing if it flops.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He’s not wrong. Starfield being associated with the Xbox brand brings a whole new level of scrutiny to the game. As a fan of BGS games in general, I’m excited because I’ll know if it’s good or not, but either way it’s going to be a shitshow. Can’t wait.
Yes. First party games are held to a higher standard due to the resources provided and focusing on the platform more.

I'm a big fan of BGS as well and I'm expecting Starfield to be great. Microsoft just has to deliver.
Same. I'm actually stoked for it, and fingers crossed it delivers.

My only disappointment is no take off and landing on planets manually in 2023. Especially with NMS, Elite Dangerous, Scam Citizen, etc..

Last edited:

Alebrije

Starfield will be fine but wont be a Megaton.....My guess is that Phill has seen it almost on gold stage and knows it wont move the arrow.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
A once third party game they would have gotten anyway.

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC
Not just that, if Redfall and Starfield were still 3P games, then they could crash and burn without being associated with Xbox or Microsoft's idea of 1P quality.

Starfield is a Bethesda game, it will absolutely be memed to death one way or another, it's absolutely the last game to ever be seen as a "console savior".

The Starfield review embargo date/time will speak volumes.
Yep that will be the 1st actual inkling of what to expect with this game.

Kacho

Gold Member
Most folks had ridiculously low expectations for Redfall and even those were not met. Not sure where you are getting this fictional expectations for a "billion-dollar franchise" narrative from.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? What you said earlier isn't that far off with what I am saying here.

Are you saying Microsoft should not get credit or blame for anything Bethesda has produced or will produce? For how long?
I disagree with you saying that Starfield receiving scrutiny is the same as any Xbox first party game. It’s not. The game has been in development for close to a decade and not under Microsoft. BGS games are notoriously buggy and Starfield will likely come out very buggy at launch. I’m not blaming Microsoft for that, but many people will.

If the game comes out and is shit like Redfall it will reflect poorly on Xbox even if they’re not wholly to blame.

Topher

Gold Member
I disagree with you saying that Starfield receiving scrutiny is the same as any Xbox first party game. It’s not. The game has been in development for close to a decade and not under Microsoft. BGS games are notoriously buggy and Starfield will likely come out very buggy at launch. I’m not blaming Microsoft for that, but many people will.

If the game comes out and is shit like Redfall it will reflect poorly on Xbox even if they’re not wholly to blame.

Eh....I was going off of what you said, dude.

"Starfield being associated with the Xbox brand brings a whole new level of scrutiny to the game. "

Should Microsoft get credit for Hi Fi Rush?

Kacho

Gold Member
Eh....I was going off of what you said, dude.

"Starfield being associated with the Xbox brand brings a whole new level of scrutiny to the game. "

Should Microsoft get credit for Hi Fi Rush?
Eh…ok.

No I don’t think Microsoft should get credit for HiFi Rush, duuuuuude. They had next to nothing to do with the development just like Starfield. You good or do you need me to clarify anything else? 😂

Topher

Gold Member
Eh…ok.

No I don’t think Microsoft should get credit for HiFi Rush, duuuuuude. They had next to nothing to do with the development just like Starfield. You good or do you need me to clarify anything else? 😂

No, you answered my question. I respect your consistency.

Why are you being snarky all of the sudden? I wasn't trying to get under your skin. Sorry if I did.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
I'm surprised that Destin has held on to his Redfall anger for this long.

Genuinely expected him to brush it off after a few weeks have passed.

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

I pointed out in another thread that we've still not seen much of games which were announced with the machine in 2020. Meanwhile Sony have released every game at their reveal event and then some. Why has Forza taken 3 years? Where's Hellblade 2? Where is Fable? Avowed? Everwild? Perfect Dark? Indiana Jones? State of Decay 3? Gears 6? In the words of Biden: "c'mon man". With Xbox you get a CGI reveal and then radio silence for years. I'm starting to question if half these games will end up as cross-gen titles... with the next Xbox.
We don't know if Indiana Jones is going to be exclusive or not, even insiders like Jez Corden are not sure about it and The Coalition started development on Gears 6 only last year.
What's really perplexing is the situation with Undead Labs and Compulsion Games, who were both acquired in 2018 and released their last game in 2018. Undead Labs has only managed to release a CGI trailer and Compulsion Games has gone radio silent since then.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
No, you answered my question. I respect your consistency.

Why are you being snarky all of the sudden? I wasn't trying to get under your skin. Sorry if I did.
I’m being snarky because it always feels like your fishing for something. It’s annoying. Also that’s the second time you’ve told me you respect my consistency. It’s like you’re looking to trip me up. It’s weird.

Topher

Gold Member
I’m being snarky because it always feels like your fishing for something. It’s annoying. Also that’s the second time you’ve told me you respect my consistency. It’s like you’re looking to trip me up. It’s weird.

If you don't want to discuss something any further then I suggest simply not responding. I apologized if I got under your skin so if that's not enough for you to move on peaceably then well.......I've done all I can do.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I mean.. Starfield got what, like 5 videos consisting of its developers in a circlejerk patting themselves on the back for how good their work had been?
No wonder the stakes are on the moon at this point, but it was Microsoft and Bethesda who put them there.

But fear not, guys.

ACG broke the code on Phil Spencer's plan B in case Starfield isn't a success.

The article is obviously meant to be clickbait and inflammatory but there is a nugget of truth to it, at least as far as the Series X is concerned. We are almost 3 years into the generation and nearing what could be considered a half way point, if past generations are anything to go by, and yet there is very little notable about the Series X. It's not absolutely dire like some say and I think it's a bit better than Xbox One was at its midpoint, but in comparison to the competition it's been tepid. And I say this as a Series X owner who uses the hardware more than the PS5 - to play backwards compatible games.

And once that batch is out, will it even matter once Sony basically lap them in the years following their upcoming not-E3 showcase? Sony are onto phase 2 while Xbox's phase 1 isn't even off the ground.

Makes you wonder what this years line up would be if RedFall and Starfield had not been delayed

Top Bottom