• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN | Starfield Feels like Xbox's Last Chance at Redemption

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yep. “Wait for E3” is a meme but it’s like 3 weeks away. Microsoft knows the pressure is on them. Let’s see what they have. It needs to be a big show this year.

Microsoft has needed to do a big show for like 4 years now.

At some point people need to realize that Xbox is not operating the way they want it to. Phil made that pretty explicit in that interview. They are not running the business the same way Sony is. Their goal is to release games on a quarterly cadence to keep you locked into GamePass. Their goal is not to deliver these high-end, industry-leading AAA games. If they get them, great, obviously they don't want to release shit, but it's not the primary objective. If you want a "typical console" with high-end first party games, get a PlayStation, stop demanding that Microsoft start doing stuff that it has plainly stated it is not doing.

Thinking about it some more, even the headline of this article is absurd, as Phil Spencer literally said that even if Starfield is amazing it's not going to change anything. So what type of "redemption" are we talking about?

Last edited:

Gone

Banned
What a load of bullshit.

So people forgot about Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo because they were good games and no credit to Microsoft for them, but the moment Redfall flops, it's all Microsoft's fault?

People will play Starfield no matter what, it's a new RPG by Bethesda so it's gonna be super popular on both Xbox and PC. To measure its success by what score "critics" give to it would be a joke.

Eotheod

All I see xbox fans being delusional with this thread. They think it's only Redfall lmao. Xbox has been horrible for 10 years lol.

If Starfield is bad it is over for the console's future. They're not going away in general, but will from the console market and I hope that if you're smart enough, you start buying third party on playstation TODAY, because the future of xbox's is not looking good at all.

Sales in general, bad reviews, lack of games, phil comments, bigger focus on PC and cloud, series S selling better. Common on now.

It's not redfall, it's battletoads, bleeding edge, grounded, sea of thieves, crackdown 3, ryse, redfall and a bunch of other mediocre games all you have to show up to make up with, is Halo and Gears being their weakest they've been and Forza, a car sim. Indies do not do anything at all. Hi Rush and Pentinent are tickles to the other two competitors. 20 Pentiments won't beat Spiderman or Zelda. Sorry.

Sincerely, I hope the fans wake up there is an impending coming if this showcase doesn't bring anything and Starfield looks a low 80, with optimism. They better shift ships completely if that showcases looks like their previous showcases. If it's worst I just can't imagine someone with money and a brain not jumping ships completely.
Or maybe your tastes are that those games released are not good for you, but are great for others? Outside ofcourse buggy games, which all platforms release, not all games will meet your interests but does that make them bad? Unworthy of a purchase and therefore a cause for brand destruction?

This is the extremity of an enthusiast forum, in that we get so hyper focused and so armchair analyst that we miss the forest for the trees. Game pass is smashing it in terms of engagement, Sony is doing exceptionally well, Nintendo has another hit on their hand and Xbox is still succeeding in bringing games that work for their userbase as a majority.

We really need to get off this idea that one game is the encapsulation of success for a platform. Certainly good games push momentum of sales, but what is a good game but only to the user?

If that's what you want, why not subscribe to PS Plus? It offers even more games than Game Pass every month that are also bigger and more popular.
Im sorry, but that's not true. Currently Game Pass has far more titles across a number of genres and AAA/AA categories. There are rather large titles on there right this moment, and partnerships like EA Play and Riot.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

At some point people need to realize that Xbox is not operating the way they want it to. Phil made that pretty explicit in that interview. They are not running the business the same way Sony is. Their goal is to release games on a quarterly cadence to keep you locked into GamePass. Their goal is not to deliver these high-end, industry-leading AAA games. If they get them, great, obviously they don't want to release shit, but it's not the primary objective. If you want a "typical console" with high-end first party games, get a PlayStation, stop demanding that Microsoft start doing stuff that it has plainly stated it is not doing.

Thinking about it some more, even the headline of this article is absurd, as Phil Spencer literally said that even if Starfield is amazing it's not going to change anything. So what type of "redemption" are we talking about?
The way they are currently operating though isn't drawing anyone into this ecosystem, a game plan isn't anything if it's not working

Fahdis

What a fucking stupid take by IGN. This is why we have fanboy alliances in this industry.

Kacho

Gold Member

I’m not looking for Microsoft to mimic Sony’s output like others might be. Microsoft is focusing heavily on WRPGs and those are games that appeal to me. Obviously they have issues managing projects, but there’s plenty of stuff in the works that I’m interested in and not everything will be Redfall. We’re reaching the point where a lot of their projects are nearing completion and it’s time for Microsoft to show them. I can wait a few weeks to see what they got.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Im sorry, but that's not true. Currently Game Pass has far more titles across a number of genres and AAA/AA categories. There are rather large titles on there right this moment, and partnerships like EA Play and Riot.
It is. As of right now,
  • Xbox Game Pass has 455 console games. 583 total games across console, PC, and Cloud, if you count them all.
  • PS Plus currently has 1,023 games.

Topher

Gold Member
What a load of bullshit.

So people forgot about Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo because they were good games and no credit to Microsoft for them, but the moment Redfall flops, it's all Microsoft's fault?

People will play Starfield no matter what, it's a new RPG by Bethesda so it's gonna be super popular on both Xbox and PC. To measure its success by what score "critics" give to it would be a joke.

Deathloop and Ghostwie Tokyo were released on PlayStation 6 and 12 months, respectively, after Microsoft finalized their acquisition of Bethesda. I get the debate over what Bethesda games Microsoft should credit/blame for, but pitching those two as a win for MS doesn't really fly either way. Redfall was announced by Microsoft and Bethesda jointly, but was in development primarily under independent BGS. I can see arguments either way on that one.

RAIDEN1

The bigger impact rather than Starfield is what comes of the Activision and Microsoft proposed deal....The E.U side has ratified it...just remains the other regions of the world to clear..

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I don't think Xbox is operating even the way Microsoft wants it to.

John Lewis Lol GIF by Waitrose & Partners

Gone

Banned
Deathloop and Ghostwie Tokyo were released on PlayStation 6 and 12 months, respectively, after Microsoft finalized their acquisition of Bethesda. I get the debate over what Bethesda games Microsoft should credit/blame for, but pitching those two as a win for MS doesn't really fly either way. Redfall was announced by Microsoft and Bethesda jointly, but was in development primarily under independent BGS. I can see arguments either way on that one.
I know
But if you were to credit them for those two, you should blame them for Redfall.

PS: I don't care about the 3 games.

Lasha

MS is making money, yes. But on a per-game basis, I seriously doubt most of their 1st party games are making money.

Which games do you think lost money? Off the top of my head:
  • MSFS - Successful
  • FH4 - Successful
  • Gears 5 - probably a flop. Unfamiliar with the title
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Successful
  • SOT - Massively Successful
  • MCC - Successful
  • State of Decay 2 - Successful enough to greenlight a signal
  • Psychonauts 2 - Profitable according to Fig so probably successful
  • FH5 - Massively successful
  • Halo Infinite - trainwreck
  • Grounded - low key successful
  • Minecraft Legends - nfc. None of my kids play it so probably not as well received as dungeons.
  • Redfall - Rolled a 1.

Sony and Microsoft have the same goal: Maximize attach rate and service revenue for their console. Whether that revenue comes from a combination of first party sales and market cut or from a service with revenue equivalent to 2-3 games is immaterial as long as costs are managed accordingly. 3-5 billion dollars in subscription revenue annually pays for many games with room for profit.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Not getting worse. This would be nice.
This is the extremity of an enthusiast forum, in that we get so hyper focused and so armchair analyst that we miss the forest for the trees. Game pass is smashing it in terms of engagement, Sony is doing exceptionally well, Nintendo has another hit on their hand and Xbox is still succeeding in bringing games that work for their userbase as a majority.
We all know that Xbox is not doing that bad. This is not like the Wii U was. But they are not doing as good as they could too. It is easier to loose a customer than it is to get it when the product is costly. And a console is costly. Redfall is the kind of failure that make people look twice before buying something. We know that for a game launch it was not that bad. But as a first party studio, they should be held to a highter standard. If you are happy with your Xbox, great. But a lot of people are not happy. And this has been said for years.

A lot of people would prefer for Xbox to be successfull like Sony is. With lot of great games and new IPs. Nobody sane looked at Recore, Scalebound or Halo infinite and wanted it to fail. But it did/ was not as good as expected. As a primary Playstation gamer, with a Pc mostly for indies, I do not care that much about Xbox. They made me look at them with their good 360 gen ,and fucked up with their Xbox one offering. So I let lem do their thing. This gen, they did not offer me what Sony did, so I continued with a PS5. And I am very happy about it. Gamepass is tempting me, but no killer app yet. Starfield could be it, if the game is good. But if it fail to be good, and Xbox is still 3 years after their 2020 showcase with a lot of their AAA promises still MIA, I can't understand how people will not be unhappy about Xbox. Xbox can't launch a console with no AAA game at launch, spend 3 years failing your promises each year, and having blunders like Halo infinite and Redfall, and not have some pushback. If Starfield was not a Xbox exclusive, I would just laught and move on. But they are making me not sure that they can handle it right. Will they launch it too soon, like they did with Redfall? Or did they made any numbers of decisions that would harm the game, like the 4 day week that Arkane Austin did when they could have crunched instead? No idea. And this is all on them. We trust Sony and Nintendo because after decades of using their products, we have a good idea of what they can do, for the better and the worse. But Xbox is not only failing, but doing it by their own fault. Sorry to repeat myself, but Redfall was hyped a lot for being such a bad game. How can a company accept this kind of bad PR, when they already are not in a good place right now?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I’m not looking for Microsoft to mimic Sony’s output like others might be. Microsoft is focusing heavily on WRPGs and those are games that appeal to me. Obviously they have issues managing projects, but there’s plenty of stuff in the works that I’m interested in and not everything will be Redfall. We’re reaching the point where a lot of their projects are nearing completion and it’s time for Microsoft to show them. I can wait a few weeks to see what they got.
Why do you think this, because they released some logos? They released those logos years ago and we still know nothing about these games, absolutely nothing. I hope we get to learn about them soon, and I hope theyr'e great games, but we've been saying that for a while. Avowed and Fable were both announced before Ragnarok...

Not getting worse. This would be nice.

We all know that Xbox is not doing that bad. This is not like the Wii U was. But they are not doing as good as they could too. It is easier to loose a customer than it is to get it when the product is costly. And a console is costly. Redfall is the kind of failure that make people look twice before buying something. We know that for a game launch it was not that bad. But as a first party studio, they should be held to a highter standard. If you are happy with your Xbox, great. But a lot of people are not happy. And this has been said for years.

A lot of people would prefer for Xbox to be succesfull like Sony is. With lot of great games and new IPs. Nobody sane looked at Recore, Scalebound or Halo infinite and wanted it to fail. But it did/ was not as good as expected. As a primary Playstation gamer, with a Pc mostly for indies, I do not care that much about Xbox. They made me look at them with their good 360 gen ,and fucked up with their Xbox one offering. So I let lem do their thing. This gen, they did not offer me what Sony did, so I continued with a PS5. And I am very happy about it. Gamepass is tempting me, but no killer app yet. Starfield could be it, if the game is good. But if it fail to be good, and Xbox is still 3 years after their 2020 showcase with a lot of their AAA promises still MIA, I can't understand how people will not be unhappy about Xbox. Xbox can't launch a console with no AAA game at launch, spend 3 years failing your promises each year, and having blunders like Halo infinite and Redfall, and not have some pushback. If Starfield was not a Xbox exclusive, I would just laught and move on. But they are making me not sure that they can handle it right. Will they launch it too soon, like they did with Redfall? Or did they made any numbers of decisions that would harm the game, like the 4 day week that Arkane Austin did when they could have crunched instead? No idea. And this is all on them. We trust Sony and Nintendo because after decades of using their products, we have a good idea of what they can do, for the better and the worse. But Xbox is not only failing, but doing it by their own fault. Sorry to repeat myself, but Redfall was hyped a lot for being such a bad game. How can a company accept this kind of bad PR, when they already are not in a good place right now?

Well, I don't know if Xbox is doing well. MS is very cagey about numbers, and the hardware revenue is down. PC Game Pass seems like the most successful part of their business. My whole thing is that, if somebody buys an Xbox and really enjoys the games on it, that's great. But it is weird to see people who seem dissatisfied with Xbox, where Redfall really ticked them off, and demand they get their act together and release games like Sony is doing, when (A) Microsoft has made it clear they are not operating in this way, and (B) there's a Sony platform right there that they can buy. Just buy the platform that gives you want you want.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Why do you think this, because they released some logos? They released those logos years ago and we still know nothing about these games, absolutely nothing. I hope we get to learn about them soon, and I hope theyr'e great games, but we've been saying that for a while. Avowed and Fable were both announced before Ragnarok...

Well, I don't know if Xbox is doing well. MS is very cagey about numbers, and the hardware revenue is down. PC Game Pass seems like the most successful part of their business. My whole thing is that, if somebody buys an Xbox and really enjoys the games on it, that's great. But it is weird to see people who seem dissatisfied with Xbox, where Redfall really ticked them off, and demand they get their act together and release games like Sony is doing, when (A) Microsoft has made it clear they are not operating in this way, and (B) there's a Sony platform right there that they can buy. Just buy the platform that gives you want you want.
Xbox is not having a Wii U moment. It could be worse. They have Gamepass, and are making a lot of money with it. MS is hiding the numbers, yes. But not to the point of hiding a loss I think. Not yet. As for going to Playstation because Xbox is not trying the same thing. There is a limit of how much Microsoft can change what a console is about. It will remain a box to make you play games. If it is just a subsidized PC with no Windows( and no Steam) it would be shit. So there still is this desire for the console to do well. And a console need good games to do well. I don't have a Xbox, so i can't talk for them. But isn't the principle of competition to push both competitors to do better? Phil Spencer admitted that he want to bring games like Uncharted to the Xbox. So if he can admit that, why can't Xbox gamers ask for it too?

Kacho

Gold Member
Well yes, that’s usually how it works lol. They announce games and then you know what they have in the works. Multiple WRPGs are in development from established studios that have made games I enjoyed. I’m ready to see them just like you are.

One thing I do know is if it is shit, I’ll probably be selling my Series X. Picked up a Switch last week for ToTK, and would be more than happy to have that and Ps5 as my consoles. If Phil doesn’t really care about games on the Xbox, I don’t think I will either.
Here in the UK, the resale value of the xbox series consoles (both X and S) is shite. If it is the same in your country, you would probably be better off just hanging on to your X and plugging it back in when fable or avowed or a broken PC game releases.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Here in the UK, the resale value of the xbox series consoles (both X and S) is shite. If it is the same in your country, you would probably be better off just hanging on to your X and plugging it back in when fable or avowed or a broken PC game releases.

£300 for one on CEX. I bought mine for £400 on Ebay 18 months ago. So, pretty good return, I think.

We'll see though. I'm giving it some thought.

Neilg

Starfield had a lot of pressure after fo76 and just a long fucking time since the last big Bethesda rpg. Even if it was multiplatform, it needed to be less buggy than previous big Bethesda games.

This level of pressure is lol. While some employees would relish it, many of their staff reading this kind of shit will start to second guess their decision making and find it overwhelming.

Red fall proved naysayers right about gamepass having quality issues. Especially after a drought of aaa games from Microsoft. I hope that Microsoft buying Bethesda would give them resources to work out bugs and give decent performance. If not then what was the point of buying them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Which games do you think lost money? Off the top of my head:
  • MSFS - Successful
  • FH4 - Successful
  • Gears 5 - probably a flop. Unfamiliar with the title
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Successful
  • SOT - Massively Successful
  • MCC - Successful
  • State of Decay 2 - Successful enough to greenlight a signal
  • Psychonauts 2 - Profitable according to Fig so probably successful
  • FH5 - Massively successful
  • Halo Infinite - trainwreck
  • Grounded - low key successful
  • Minecraft Legends - nfc. None of my kids play it so probably not as well received as dungeons.
  • Redfall - Rolled a 1.

Sony and Microsoft have the same goal: Maximize attach rate and service revenue for their console. Whether that revenue comes from a combination of first party sales and market cut or from a service with revenue equivalent to 2-3 games is immaterial as long as costs are managed accordingly. 3-5 billion dollars in subscription revenue annually pays for many games with room for profit.

Halo Infinite, Grounded, State of Decay 2, Minecraft Legends, and Redfall. The bigger issue is MS is taking so much money to buy publishers, that they seem to focus most of their Xbox profits on that rather than making AAA games. Phil has told us that selling games isn't going to help the Xbox brand like people seem to think. I think he's wrong, but it makes sense why he's so focus on buying publishers with many different dev houses.

Lasha

Halo Infinite, Grounded, State of Decay 2, Minecraft Legends, and Redfall. The bigger issue is MS is taking so much money to buy publishers, that they seem to focus most of their Xbox profits on that rather than making AAA games. Phil has told us that selling games isn't going to help the Xbox brand like people seem to think. I think he's wrong, but it makes sense why he's so focus on buying publishers with many different dev houses.

Halo infinite and Redfall are the only big budget games you lost. Grounded was made by a dozen developers and SoD 2 was successful enough for a sequel to be greenlit. MS is making money.

Phil's point is that the majority of the market doesn't really care about exclusives. Gamers playing COD, Fortnite, FIFA, Madden, and GTA make up the bulk of the market. That demographic isn't switching to Xbox if Forza is shit hot. Sonygaf isn't going to rush out to buy series X if starfield is the second coming of Christ. Buying studios is a smart strategy because it builds an IP library for gamepass where it intends to compete.

Halo infinite and Redfall are the only big budget games you lost. Grounded was made by a dozen developers and SoD 2 was successful enough for a sequel to be greenlit. MS is making money.

Phil's point is that the majority of the market doesn't really care about exclusives. Gamers playing COD, Fortnite, FIFA, Madden, and GTA make up the bulk of the market. That demographic isn't switching to Xbox if Forza is shit hot. Sonygaf isn't going to rush out to buy series X if starfield is the second coming of Christ. Buying studios is a smart strategy because it builds an IP library for gamepass where it intends to compete.

I was curious does anybody outside of MS top execs know the profit of the Xbox division. MS does not even report the operating income of the Xbox division. All that can be said with certainty is that Xbox revenue is growing, whether this translates into profit or not cannot be said with any degree of confidence.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Obviously a touch of hyperbole. Regardless of the limitied selection of exclusive content, it is still a great gaming platform and gamepass is a great option for a plethora of titles. Even if Starfield comes out the gate hot and does not review well, Xbox players would be in the exact same spot as they are today. That being a okay.

RevGaming

Or maybe your tastes are that those games released are not good for you, but are great for others? Outside ofcourse buggy games, which all platforms release, not all games will meet your interests but does that make them bad? Unworthy of a purchase and therefore a cause for brand destruction?

We really need to get off this idea that one game is the encapsulation of success for a platform. Certainly good games push momentum of sales, but what is a good game but only to the user?
Or maybe games like hi fi rush won't move the needle? Gamepass is a negative at this point. I only care about consoles so...

Or maybe games like hi fi rush won't move the needle? Gamepass is a negative at this point. I only care about consoles so...

IMO it shouldn't have been Shadow Dropped like that. It would have been a good inclusion for a showcase and then given proper marketing to help increase its sales. It certainly deserved more exposure. However Redfall was a WTF moment for me.

Raven117

Gold Member

Hmmm. Clearly you are right. Why would they buy Bethesda and offer to buy Activision.

DaGwaphics

LOL, what a ridiculous article. There is no single game that is the last chance at anything at Xbox. This type of statement only applies to a company that literally doesn't have the funds to keep the lights on. Which clearly isn't the case with Xbox given the revenue numbers.

I'm sure there is pressure for it to be good, as there should be, but not at this level, IMO.

ChIGN is appropriately calling out the troubles of Xbox.

Imagine the year is 2025 and Xbox calls it quits and no one properly covered the lead up to it and people were caught entirely off guard.

The reality is that Microsoft has already lost mindshare. No one cares about their showcase and no one cares about starfield.

The official Starfield trailer from over a year ago has 17 million views. The Gameplay trailer has 4.7 million views.

The official launch date reveal has 2.4 million views.

Let's put that into perspective.

The Ozzy Osbourne PSVR2 commercial has 11 million views from 2 months ago. The Silent Hill 2 teaser from 6 months ago has 8 million views. Tje trailer for Chrono Odyssey has 2.7 million views from 2 weeks ago.

PlayStation's tweet about their showcase has 15 million views, 65k likes, and 2K bookmarks in 3 days.

Xbox?

3.4 million views, 10.4K likes, 188 bookmarks in over 2 weeks...

Even if Starfield was an 11/10 they number of people who would hear about it or care is extremely limited.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The bolded is just NOT TRUE! Why are believing a defeatist? Only a person with a loser's mentality would believe this stuff.

DaGwaphics

The bolded is just NOT TRUE! Why are believing a defeatist? Only a person with a loser's mentality would believe this stuff.

Absolutely, it isn't something that would happen overnight or with a single release. If MS can get a good flow of well received games going (which should be the primary goal regardless of how invested they are in Xbox, GP needs this as well), they will build interest in the Xbox. They aren't likely to outsell PS because of the PC day one releases, which is fine, but they can certainly give console players a reason to put an Xbox next to their PS.

Its the last chance until the next one.

You could have such a better article than this one, there's no issue or insight and its basically something anyone on GAF could write.

I think these kinda articles are great. One of the biggest reasons for why so often publishers get away with overpriced and under performing $70 games is because the big gaming outlets have failed to put any pressure on them. They rarely if ever take them to task on anything!

I'm loving the fact that Ign of all places FINALLY is showing some god damn BACKBONE! I really don't care what their "true intentions" are either. A huge site like IGN will have some impact on Microsoft.

Frankly, I don't understand why any of you would be against negative articles written towards Microsoft. At this stage of the game? It's god damn time.

We as gamers have gotten so used to the dynamic being so unbelievably one sided in the favor of these companies doing and getting away with whatever they please that I think gamers have almost had our spirits broken by having no voice to speak for us.

It's so lopsided that any time a gamer complains and has the balls to speak their mind, we're immediately met with a torrent of insults and backlash from gamers who feel some strange need to silence those complaints. I don't get it.

Look at some of the rare times where gamers got angry and vocal and the games media actually got behind us. Look at Star Wars Battlefront 2 where they were forced to get rid of the pay to win shit. It works dude. If only the media picked up earlier on Microsofts missteps.

Halo Infinite in my opinion was one of those moments where they failed. I always think the games media is a step ahead in helping these companies to push some awful products and agendas and one step behind in helping to put a stop to their bullshit

Woopah

I think these kinda articles are great. One of the biggest reasons for why so often publishers get away with overpriced and under performing $70 games is because the big gaming outlets have failed to put any pressure on them. They rarely if ever take them to task on anything!

I'm loving the fact that Ign of all places FINALLY is showing some god damn BACKBONE! I really don't care what their "true intentions" are either. A huge site like IGN will have some impact on Microsoft.

Frankly, I don't understand why any of you would be against negative articles written towards Microsoft. At this stage of the game? It's god damn time.

We as gamers have gotten so used to the dynamic being so unbelievably one sided in the favor of these companies doing and getting away with whatever they please that I think gamers have almost had our spirits broken by having no voice to speak for us.

It's so lopsided that any time a gamer complains and has the balls to speak their mind, we're immediately met with a torrent of insults and backlash from gamers who feel some strange need to silence those complaints. I don't get it.

Look at some of the rare times where gamers got angry and vocal and the games media actually got behind us. Look at Star Wars Battlefront 2 where they were forced to get rid of the pay to win shit. It works dude. If only the media picked up earlier on Microsofts missteps.

Halo Infinite in my opinion was one of those moments where they failed. I always think the games media is a step ahead in helping these companies to push some awful products and agendas and one step behind in helping to put a stop to their bullshit
I'm annoyed with it because the article doesn't say anything new or insightful, it's what forum posters have been saying for ages.

They should be examining the route causes, trying to get comments from the people involved in Microsoft, or doing an analysis of the impact that Starfield could potentially have. Actual journalism.

My issue isn't with the tone of the article, it's with the quality of it.

What exactly makes you think games like SoD2 or Grounded lost money? The team that made Grounded was tiny. State of Decay 2 saw a gargantuan amount of free support after launch, I can't imagine they would spend that time and those resources on a game that lost them money. It was also another small team game and retailed for $30 at launch IIRC. It's not like it needed to sell millions. Minecraft Legends is too early to tell anything about its profitability. It's also on so many platforms, it's probably just fine.

Phil said a string of amazing titles wouldn't result in some dramatic shift in the console share and that's just fact. He didn't say it wouldn't help Xbox or result in better sales numbers.

ungalo

It's not just negative, it's clickbait and dumb.

And if Starfield is good they're going to say "Xbox is on the right path", just like what they're admitting they were saying in 2021 because of fuckin Halo Infinite and the latest Forza game from Playground (that was good like...actually all the games in the serie).

This is talk for the sake of talking.

Pelta88

What a fucking stupid take by IGN. This is why we have fanboy alliances in this industry.

After a decade of XBOX not delivering, you think it's a fanboy alliance for people to give up on the "Wait till" promise? It's been a decade and you're trying to frame as fanboyism?

Last edited:

Fahdis

After a decade of XBOX not delivering, you think it's a fanboy alliance for people to give up on the "Wait till" promise? It's been a decade and you're trying to frame as fanboyism?

Why does it matter to you if they deliver or not? Its not like you're invested in them anyways right? So why are you so vexxed at them? So yes, it does look like fanboy alliances. They can take a decade more, I'd like all 3 companies to be at each other's throat get to my wallet. Especially innovation.

Pelta88

Why does it matter to you if they deliver or not? Its not like you're invested in them anyways right? So why are you so vexxed at them? So yes, it does look like fanboy alliances. They can take a decade more, I'd like all 3 companies to be at each other's throat get to my wallet. Especially innovation.

What?

I've been an XBOX gamers since 2006. late OG - late 360 was the golden age of XBOX. Check my receipts I've been saying I own XB since I signed up. XB1-XBSX Check the receipts.

XBOX hasn't delivered. It's that simple. You trying to qualify people's disappointment with XBOX speaks more to your investment than it does ours.

Crayon

I still don't understand why everyone is in a twist over this article. Even if there is something deeply wrong with starfield (doubt that, personally) Xbox will just move on to yet another last chance.

Fahdis

What?

I've been an XBOX gamers since 2006. late OG - late 360 was the golden age of XBOX. Check my receipts I've been saying I own XB since I signed up. XB1-XBSX Check the receipts.

XBOX hasn't delivered. It's that simple. You trying to qualify people's disappointment with XBOX speaks more to your investment than it does ours.

I just got into Xbox since I was always into PS. Switch to PC/Cloud to enjoy them all. Looks like we are at odds bruh.

Top Bottom