• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN | Starfield Feels like Xbox's Last Chance at Redemption

Kumomeme

even if it is a huge success 11/10 game, help bring peace to galaxy, people still wont sold their PS5 - phil spencer

/s

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Why does it matter to you if they deliver or not? Its not like you're invested in them anyways right? So why are you so vexxed at them? So yes, it does look like fanboy alliances. They can take a decade more, I'd like all 3 companies to be at each other's throat get to my wallet. Especially innovation.
People are vexed because Xbox bought third party devs and IP that people care about. I don't give a shit what Xbox does or doesn't do for the most part but this acquisition strategy has hurt gaming for years. This goes back to the Rare acquisition so it's not a new thing.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Sure Jan GIF

Madflavor

It’s really not that far off from launch. A little more than 3 months? I feel they need to start showing off more gameplay soon to drum up confidence and excitement.

EDMIX

lol this is so sensationalist and exaggerated. No its fucking not folks. It will take a long time for XBOX to recover from the whole XONE generation and it won't happen solely based on 1 game.

Folks were not mad based on 1 fucking game, thus how could any "redemption" happen based on 1 game? They are upset of a whole ass generation of "wait till E3" and getting trash games time after time and watching Sony announce massive AAA titles, thus...they need a whole generation of strong AAA titles releasing of great quality for that to really redeem the publisher.

I think Starfield will do just fine, but i don't believe the future of XBOX or MS as a publisher rest on 1 title.

They were not fucking put in this situation from um...1 bad title, not sure how 1 good title would change any of this.

Bkdk

microsoft has more than enough money to have infinite chances, but they do have to figure out how to manage their gaming studios better. Still I prefer MS' games more than sony's, I play aoe4 more than all sony titles combined since ps4 is released. ALso I'm sure even starfield ended up pretty broken, I'll still play it over 1k hours eventually just on mods alone.

Poltz

lol this is so sensationalist and exaggerated. No its fucking not folks. It will take a long time for XBOX to recover from the whole XONE generation and it won't happen solely based on 1 game.

Folks were not mad based on 1 fucking game, thus how could any "redemption" happen based on 1 game? They are upset of a whole ass generation of "wait till E3" and getting trash games time after time and watching Sony announce massive AAA titles, thus...they need a whole generation of strong AAA titles releasing of great quality for that to really redeem the publisher.

I think Starfield will do just fine, but i don't believe the future of XBOX or MS as a publisher rest on 1 title.

They were not fucking put in this situation from um...1 bad title, not sure how 1 good title would change any of this.
Sony recovered from the PS3 and sent the brand into the stratosphere, Nintendo did the same with the Wii U failure. How long must we wait? Uncharted 2 was 2009.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Sony recovered from the PS3 and sent the brand into the stratosphere, Nintendo did the same with the Wii U failure. How long must we wait? Uncharted 2 was 2009.

I agree completely, but Uncharted 2 in 2009, didn't mean that was the date PS3 outsold 360.....

So maybe Uncharted 2 is the beginning of that turn, it still took Infamous, Killzone 2 and 3, LBP, The Last Of Us, MGS4 and many more until that generation was done, to build that trust, to make PS4 that amazing launch. Fans had a strong trust that 2013 was ending in one of the highest rated games in history at that time with The Last Of Us on PS3, going into the PS4 launch that very same year is how you really fucking fix a situation like that, its not merely JUST PS4 launching, but PS3 being set off in a blaze of glory to tell consumers "this is what you have to look forward to when you buy a PS4"

They just don't have that type of situation with XONE.

So it won't take 1 title, it will take a whole catalog of titles and a whole solid generation or even 2 of solid support. I have my doubts myself, but I believe MS really is trying to give creative freedom and really allowing those new ideas seeing how new IP and new series is the way to go, but only time will really tell if that truly is going on at the publisher as this wouldn't be the first time a publisher has made promises to change or that the company will be different only to continue the same bad habits.

The brand might literally need JUST as long as they were not trusted, to gain that trust by consumers as a whole. They went from 360 RROD, to trust us this time XONE DRM (ok we removed it, but really ,really believe us) Series X and S isn't the worst a XB system has launched in regards to marketing or something, but its coming off of systems that consumers have a very hard time trusting. They don't need a few good years, they need an entire, full generation, no BS, rock solid, AAA quality, new IP from majority studios for people to really believe they have changed. None of us are even shocked when Sony or Ubisoft bust out all those new IP every generation, because they are known to do that, MS needs to surprise folks and they need to really allow that freedom to see consumers trust the brand.

(btw I loooooove Uncharted 2 and I don't want to make it sound like I'm under valuing that release, merely that many, many titles help move the PS3 to be a success and as a whole, that idea is what made people trust a PS4 day 1)

Umbasaborne

Banned
"It doesn't matter what Xbox do; it doesn't matter how many great games they have or release; they will always be the target of severe criticism because it feels good, apparently, to hate Xbox."

Larry David Wtf GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

What kind of supreme persecution and victim complex is this by Xboxera?!
they are so fucking weird. They act like victims whenever microsoft is rightfully called out for their bs. Probably because they all get sent game pass subscriptions to be positive about xbox.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Sales is not indication of anything. Xbox one sold 50m-60m with a shit state. Even though games were dry as fk.
current console numbers are 20m+, even though the console has shit start and 1 year of no AAA game.

to put it simply, people are swayed easily if you give them what they want. It's something that has been evident for a long time.

if MS can get their shit together and have that consistency, they can get all those people back easily.

for example, arkane might have made redfall, but they still have the talent for SP games. They can back to their roots and make a compelling game again. By doing that, people will forget about redfall.

that is what Xbox needs right now. 1-2 year of AAA games and people will be happy as kids.

Varteras

Gold Member
"It doesn't matter what Xbox do; it doesn't matter how many great games they have or release; they will always be the target of severe criticism because it feels good, apparently, to hate Xbox."

Larry David Wtf GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

What kind of supreme persecution and victim complex is this by Xboxera?!

It's the kind of cry baby horse shit you should expect from a cult. Because to just admit where the problem really is would make them look like absolute rubes for the 10+ years they've been defending the abject failures of the people in charge.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
MS can get their shit together and have that consistency, they can get all those people back easily.

for example, arkane might have made redfall, but they still have the talent for SP games. They can back to their roots and make a compelling game again. By doing that, people will forget about redfall.

that is what Xbox needs right now. 1-2 year of AAA games and people will be happy as kids.
Absolutely. Except that they are trying dince forever and that it is not that easy to be consistent. I hope that we can see some of their efforts and success next month.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What exactly makes you think games like SoD2 or Grounded lost money? The team that made Grounded was tiny. State of Decay 2 saw a gargantuan amount of free support after launch, I can't imagine they would spend that time and those resources on a game that lost them money. It was also another small team game and retailed for $30 at launch IIRC. It's not like it needed to sell millions. Minecraft Legends is too early to tell anything about its profitability. It's also on so many platforms, it's probably just fine.

Phil said a string of amazing titles wouldn't result in some dramatic shift in the console share and that's just fact. He didn't say it wouldn't help Xbox or result in better sales numbers.

I say that in the same way people tend to say that Dreams lost money for Sony. I tended to think that was true also. None of us can say for sure, but SoD2 and Grounded look like they are in a similar place as Dreams (when it comes to financial success).

which games are those ? i dont remember them releasing a 1st party AAA game that had the same impact as god of war
Read my post again. I said they had decent games but not AAA bangers like GoW n all. They had games and was not a dry year like 2022

2021 they had Forza horizon 5, halo infinite, Psychonauts 2, flight sim (90 plus on meta).

Fi
Seriously... what games? Yes, Starfield. But what else? And given that they're happy to put out a shitfest like Redfall, where do I have any confidence that what they do eventually put out is any good?
Forza
Hellblade 2
Avowed
Starfield

Timed exclusive on gamepass like Stalker 2 n all.

What sony got apart from Spiderman 2 which looks exactly like Spiderman miles Morales visually

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Read above post.

So if you dont like certain type of games then that game dont exist? Some people like Age of empire and that is AAA banger for them but for you its shit coz its not cinematic 3rd person Sony template game? Lol

Man, just...try to chill out, you've made 3 posts/replies in a row, you're gonna have an aneurysm in the end, no one stepped on your dog's tail ffs.

Also : practice what you preach, you seem to be frothing at the mouth with other's opinions but, you can nonchalantly mention "Sony 3rd person template games".
That's a fookin' double standard if I ever saw one.

Top Bottom