• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Switchback VR Developer Is Investigating Technical Issues 'As a Matter of Urgency'

https://in.ign.com/the-dark-picture...ating-technical-issues-as-a-matter-of-urgency
Developer Supermassive Games has released a statement acknowledging “graphical issues” that players have experienced following the launch of The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR on PlayStation VR2 earlier this month.

“Since the launch of Switchback VR Yesterday, we have seen and heard the feedback that some players are experiencing graphical issues in the game,” read a tweet from Supermassive Games.

“The Switchback VR Team have been investigating the issues raised as a matter of urgency. So far, a potential cause of the reported blurring has been identified, along with other issues still undergoing testing and reproduction.”

The developers are encouraging players to report any bugs that they experience through its Zendesk Portal.

Switchback VR is an on-rails shooter set in the horror infused universe of Supermassive Games’ The Dark Pictures Anthology, which features villains from titles including The Devil in Me and The Man of Medan.

The developers sought to harness the updated hardware of the PlayStation VR2 by making use of its haptic feedback system, 3D audio, and eye-tracking capabilities. One such feature made enemies more likely to strike and move when the headset detected that the player had blinked, or looked away.

In our review IGN gave The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR a 6/10, summarizing that the virtual reality game was “a fun arcade shooter”, but that it’s “short length, a weak story, and lack of scares hold it back”.

Switchback, PSVR2's recent exclusive release, has been having some problems fans across the web, including on here within the Neogaf, have brought up. It seems that the devs have caught wind of these issues and have released a statement that they are researching for a quick resolution for these problems.

Has anyone else been experiencing bugs, technical issues, or graphical issues when playing Switchback VR? Send them over to the devs so they can possibly include more fixes in an update.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

This was already addressed in the PSVR2 OT, but yeah the game has big issues and is apparently not that good, sad because I was hoping it would be good.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, by all accounts their last game on the PSVR1 is said to have looked better... surely the PS5 is capable of more. Unfortunate that so many people were disappointed with this after having higher expectations from the last game. But, no one's perfect I guess.

consoul

I decided to finally drop an issue report into Supermassive's zendesk, not they really need it, as they've already read all the reactions to their game here, on Reddit, on Twitter and everywhere else. It was actually their response to the backlash that prompted me to submit a report. Here's what I wanted to tell them:

You've doubtless had countless reports about the overall quality of this game. You already know that the models, textures, draw distance, LOD pop-in, lighting, resolution and animation are substandard.

Putting aside the technical shortcomings, the actual gameplay is disappointingly poor too. It's not all bad, there are set pieces that work, but they're just fleeting moments in an otherwise dull, repetitive and lovelessly padded out slog.

You know all this already.

So the issue I'm actually writing to report is gaslighting. Your response to the community's disappointment has been disingenuous. Framing the widespread reaction to the game as being one caused by isolated technical issues reveals a lack of integrity and accountability. Talking about "reported blurring" as if it's not objectively obvious to every player. Asking people to specify "whether the issues are visible through only one lens or if they affect both" is really a display of contempt for your audience. Don't pretend these are user or hardware issues. Your customers are telling you the product is poor. Accept that, own it and stop gaslighting them. Please be better than this.

Minsc

Gold Member
As a bystander - the summary I get is they just half-assed it with this one. Even fixing the technical issues still won't fix the core game - from which I understand didn't deliver on being improved from its predecessor.

I'm starting to think Supermassive needs Sony's help to make games go from average to good/great.
Nothing they've done after Until Dawn and Until Dawn Rush of Blood have lived up to that standard.

Top Bottom