• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Top 10 Best Soulslikes

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
what are you smoking ?
If you dislike the word clunky in the context, feel free to use a different word, but I hope it is clear what I mean: The long time that passes between button press and the end of an action, paired with low speed overall, no partial or full recovery for a wrong input even tenth of seconds after being able to see it (the equivalent to that in a platformer would be absolutely no air control, which exists in some games, but is pretty shitty). As a consequence, playing the game (in particular, Souls 3) feels clunky to me and not at all pleasent. Sekiro is better just by being much faster (and therefore making the input commitment last for a shoter period of time).

Pejo

Frankly I'm surprised as fuck that somebody at IGN can actually play/beat the Nioh games. This list actually isn't that bad. I thought Death's Gambit was better than Salt & Sanctuary though, for 2D Souls-likes.

CitizenZ

Banned
To not have the Surge series is criminal and whoever was given this assignment should be fired. That maybe the worst list ever.

CitizenZ

Banned
Salt and Sanctuary was pretty neat if you ask me.
An all time favorite for myself and actually enjoy it more than DS, but to each their own. Also, made by husband and wife. Two people!

Also, fck the witch of the Lake. That fight is one of the very, very, very tough. mf'er.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Souls, the way gamers convinces people to play them is a big turn off. I recognize good games (Twilight Princess, Bioshock, Odyssey etc.) but the claims, difficulties seem more important than having fun or an experience, I guess some gamers just like a challenge...

Souls, the way gamers convinces people to play them is a big turn off. I recognize good games (Twilight Princess, Bioshock, Odyssey etc.) but the claims, difficulties seem more important than having fun or an experience, I guess some gamers just like a challenge...
First time you play a souls game it asks you to learn the mechanics and respect every enemy. If you don't, you learn a lesson and the game again asks you to the mechanics and timings and respect every enemy. Once it clicks, you begin to feel like the character there on the screen is an extension of your hand/eye coordination. These games are absolutely crazy if they click with you.

I tried Nioh, but I really hated the Mission style of that game so I returned it the next day.

Is Nioh 2 still like that?
Have you played Doom 1 and Doom 2? i felt like that playing Nioh 2. Same engine, same gameplay pretty much. I dont think Nioh 2 does anything that would win you over if you hated Nioh's level based gameplay.

xrnzaaas

I wouldn't go as far as calling Jedi Fallen Order a soulslike game, but it was definitely tougher than what I expected from an EA published triple-A product, especially at the beginning of the game when the main character was still quite weak and had less regenerations. I remember when my cousin purchased it because of being a huge SW fan and dropped the game during one of the earlier boss fights.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Very few modern AAA releases can claim to be as influential as FromSoftware's Dark Souls, a game so revolutionary in its concepts that its core tenants have morphed into an entire genre known as Soulslikes.

Over the last decade, we have seen many developers' takes on this formula - to varying degrees of success, but that doesn't mean that the future of Soulslikes is looking dim in any way. 2022 and beyond is a great time to be a Soulslike fan, and here are 15 upcoming Soulslikes that you should keep an eye out for.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

If you’re finishing up your time in Elden Ring and want another huge, challenging game to tackle afterwards, then this is the video for you. Here are 12… ish games to check out if you want to scratch that Elden Ring itch.

Elden Ring is one of the most acclaimed games of all time, with critics and fans praising everything from its combat system to its open-world design, and it just might be another From Software masterpiece. The game is enormous and seeing everything will take you dozens of hours, but it's hard to put down, so some of you may already have blitzed through it. In which case you may now be wondering if there are other games like Elden Ring out there to scratch the itch.

Well good news, because there are quite a few that may take your fancy. We've compiled a list of games that, for one reason or another, could appeal to Elden Ring fans. Some are Souls or Souls-like games (yes, we mention specifically which From Software games will appeal to Elden Ring fans and why!) while others are similar for a reason like the combat design or the emergent world. It’s not just Breath of the Wild and From Software games though, we’ve provided a big selection of almost twenty games to choose from, coming from developers including CD Projekt Red, Respawn Entertainment and Bethesda. Almost all of the games on the list are massive in their own right, as well, so you should have plenty to play for months.

STAMPS
00:00 - Intro
00:15 - Souls-Borne & Seirko
01:54 - Breath of the Wild
02:49 - The Surge 2
03:39 - Nioh 2
04:28 - Remnant From the Ashes
05:10 - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
05:51 - AC Odyssey
06:34 - Code Vein
07:09 - Ashen
07:42 - The Witcher 3
08:21 - Horizon Forbidden West
08:51 - Skyrim

I've completed some of them, and sadly we had this age where every action rpg had to have a stamina meter and a soul pool because cash grab.
A neat one not on this list was Sinner Sacrifice for Redemption, a nice boss-centered little game. I've played that one with guns but never got far. Still have to play the sequels of the sploorge and No

SkylineRKR

I dislike most Soulslike tbh. Lords of the Fallen being here proves there aren't many good ones. After all, Demon's is like what, 13 years old?

I don't know but apparently its difficult to create a good game out of this system. I would say Dark Arisen is the best one, if it counts. I felt it was a lot like Dark Souls, but with superior mechanics. Hollow Knight is good, but didn't play it too much. Its on GP though.

I absolutely loathe Nioh, pure bloat, woeful level design and repetitive enemy designs. Code Vein I dropped after the demo. Fallen Order was okay ish, but I got bored with it and its rather unpolished.

Top Bottom