• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Top 10 Final Bosses in Video Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Final boss battles can be the ultimate culmination of a long-fought journey through a game, or a let down after sinking hours into an experience. But there are plenty of fantastic final bosses to pick from throughout video game history. From recent encounters like the final foe in Sekiro to a Metal Gear Solid 3 boss we'll never forget, these are IGN's picks for the top 10 final bosses in video games.

I agree with the number 1. Beautiful scenery and an emotional battle.

Bonus:

Last edited:

Handel

got a list so don't need to give them views?
1. The Boss - MGS3
2. an Undertale boss, haven't played it so skipped in case of spoilers
3. Wind Waker Ganondorf
4. Isshin - Sekiro
5. Sephiroth - OG FFVII
6. Gwyn Lord of Cinders - Dark Souls
7. Baldur - God of War (2018)
8. Gerginha - Wonderful 101
9. Mother Brain - Super Metroid
10. The Master - Fallout

Surprisingly good and varied list imo

ckaneo

1. The Boss - MGS3
3. Wind Waker Ganondorf
4. Isshin - Sekiro
5. Sephiroth - OG FFVII
10. The Master - Fallout

It's a solid list. Baldur sticks out like a sore thumb as it's not even the series best final boss fight. Mother Brain is a cool moment, but the fight itself is meh. Actually leaning towards bad.

I guess it depends on how much we are counting great narrative fights vs great mechanical fights. As far as narrative fights OOT was pretty good , Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty epic in terms of narrative. Master hand is a real good one mechanically and narratively.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
OoT Ganon is so much more epic than WW ’Dorf.

The setting in WW is cool as hell and the cutscenes before and after are maybe the best direction Zelda ever got, but the battle itself is just the culmination of a disappointing game.

Bragr

Banned
God of War????? that boss was the most disappointing of all the bosses. I don't think ever seen a person who thought that it was a great last boss.

skit_data

Can’t really agree with Baldur in GoW 2018.

The game is beyond awesome but end fight with Baldur was probably one of the weaker parts of the game. The optional last boss fight with Sigrun on the other hand was really awesome. She kicked my ass up and down for an hour straight before I figured out the right combo of equipment and Runic abilities.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
1. The Boss - MGS3
3. Wind Waker Ganondorf
4. Isshin - Sekiro
5. Sephiroth - OG FFVII
10. The Master - Fallout

Thanks for posting the list!

I'm surprised that I almost agree with it. Mother Brain is epic as fuck, but gameplay-wise not so much, and wtf is Baldur even doing there.

Can agree with the Undertale one, shit was as hard as it was fun. Also good pick for n. 1, an original and challenging boss.

I would replace Gwyn with Artorias, Baldur with Zeus (GoW3) and would add the DOOM Cyberdemon as an honorable mention for teaching an entire generation how to circle strafe.

Mabdia

1. The Boss - MGS3
3. Wind Waker Ganondorf
4. Isshin - Sekiro
5. Sephiroth - OG FFVII
10. The Master - Fallout

Where is Rugal Bernstein in this list? That motherfucker is one hell of a challenge in KOF94. Fuck, sometimes KOF94 is unfair even without him.]

Also... Where is Kefka? The guy managed to destroy a world in FFVI!!!

But this list isn't that bad. At least had 3 solid names.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Where is Rugal Bernstein in this list? That motherfucker is one hell of a challenge in KOF94. Fuck, sometimes KOF94 is unfair even without him.]

Also... Where is Kefka? The guy managed to destroy a world in FFVI!!!

But this list isn't that bad. At least had 3 solid names.
Not putting Lavos there is also a crime.

Vandole

I never thought highly of the Sephiroth battle. It may have been due to being really overleveled by the time I got to him, but I just never found that battle to have enough of a challenge to be interesting.

Pejo

Western devs have a hard time designing fun/engaging bosses, so I'm happy to see the list dominated by mostly JP games. It's an OK list, but I feel that they're not looking at genres of games where bosses mean more to the overall gameplay.

Also, shame on no MGS:Rising. He doesn't look like much at first, but it was an amazing boss fight throughout. All of that game's bosses were fun.
iu

Kev Kev

that list sucks but i agree with the boss. that fight was fun af once you mastered CQC and knew all the different tactics you could use. and story wise it was beautifuly done, with the final scene in the fight being this shocking revelation for the player that kojima is going to make you pull the trigger. really good shit and one fo the many reasons MGS3 still is one of the best games of all time.

Neff

I reserve my right to dismiss any IGN list at any time due to their typically inept observations and lack of scholarly experience, but on this occasion I will offer a rare grudging nod of acknowledgement for their inclusion of Jergingha (even though he's not the best boss in the game).

Mabdia

Not putting Lavos there is also a crime.
Man... Lavos was amazing. I really loved my time trying to beat it. Also, since we come to this, Miguel from Chrono Cross was an amazing boss too. The first time I face him in the game, I was playing CC with a friend of mine. Man we got our asses kicked so hard. I have to run and realocate all my magics and heals. Other guy really hard to defeat was Dario. Man...

pViEB9p.gif

Chrono's franchise has a lot of amazing bosses that is really difficult to choose just one. To tell the truth, to me Chrono Trigger and Cross are the 2 best video game ever crafted.

It's a solid list. Baldur sticks out like a sore thumb as it's not even the series best final boss fight. Mother Brain is a cool moment, but the fight itself is meh. Actually leaning towards bad.

I guess it depends on how much we are counting great narrative fights vs great mechanical fights. As far as narrative fights OOT was pretty good , Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty epic in terms of narrative. Master hand is a real good one mechanically and narratively.

Thank you for a good take. In particular, Mother Brain is everything wrong with Metroid games. It’s the same Medusa head hell like Castlevania, but now you have to fight a boss too. It’s bad, mechanically.

And either way the Ganon fight in Twilight Princess is easily the best of the Zelda games. Breath of the Wild is cool but the fight itself kind of sucks. Ocarina is probably second, the only reason we see Wind Waker ranked is because of how overrated that game has become and because of the ending to the fight (which is similarly overhyped).

Though I didn’t really like the game, I’d like to have seen Dracula from Super Castlevania IV on that list - excellent boss fight from that era. Bowser from Paper Mario would be great too.

Top Bottom