• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Top 10 Wii U Games of All Time

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

From The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD to Splatoon, the Wii U has a lot of games that are still worth playing. Let's take a look at the top 10 Wii U games!

Among standouts like The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD and Super Mario Maker, the Wii U has lesser known gems such as Affordable Space Adventures and NES Remix Pack. While a lot of games like MArio Kart 8 got ported to Switch, there is still plenty of reasons to pick up a Wii U today, including Xenoblade Chronicles X, a game that has never left the console. This list doesn't include virtual console or Wii games, as that would be a separate list entirely!

kunonabi

For me its:

1. The Wonderful 101
2. Xenoblade X
3. Nintendo Land
4. Star Fox Zero
5. Splatoon
6. Pikmin 3
7. Genei Ibun Roku #Fe
8. Super Mario 3D World
9. Devil's Third
10. Zombi U

Zero: Nuregarasu no Miko, Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, and Yoshi would be the runners up.

For me its:

1. The Wonderful 101
2. Xenoblade X
3. Nintendo Land
4. Star Fox Zero
5. Splatoon
6. Pikmin 3
7. Genei Ibun Roku #Fe
8. Super Mario 3D World
9. Devil's Third
10. Zombi U

Zero: Nuregarasu no Miko, Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, and Yoshi would be the runners up.

I tried playing Star Fox Zero again last week, spent about 3 minutes with it and put it away. The control scheme is so bad. =(

belmarduk

For me its:

1. The Wonderful 101
2. Xenoblade X
3. Nintendo Land
4. Star Fox Zero
5. Splatoon
6. Pikmin 3
7. Genei Ibun Roku #Fe
8. Super Mario 3D World
9. Devil's Third
10. Zombi U

You played Devil's Third? I really wanted it but by that time I had already moved my Wii U to the closet. It was almost as good as Super Mario 3D World? Hopefully they'll remaster it at some point.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No Tropical Freeze?

limmy.jpg

It's a bad list, boys.

Neff

10. ZombiU
9. Devil's Third
8. Smash Bros for Wii U
7. Yoshi's Woolly World
6. Bayonetta 2
5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
4. Splatoon
3. Super Mario 3D World
2. Mario Kart 8
1. The Wonderful 101

You played Devil's Third? I really wanted it but by that time I had already moved my Wii U to the closet. It was almost as good as Super Mario 3D World?

It was ugly and ran like shit but by god was the multiplayer good. Possibly the best shooter MP I've ever played.

cireza

Banned
Wow, it ran bad on Switch, can't begin to think how bad it played on the Wii U lol
It actually plays worse on Wii U as they removed all the Gamepad feature to accommodate for the Switch. And as I said many time : fuck you Nintendo for doing this.

My list :

Bayonetta 2
Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
Wind Waker HD
Sonic Lost World
Tokyo Mirage
Zombi U
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Need for Speed Most Wanted U
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor Edge

My list. But let's face it, there is king Xenoblade X and the rest...

1. Xenoblade X
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Donkey Kong Country
4. Bayonetta 1 and 2
5. Deux EX: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
6. Zelda BOTW
7. Smash Bros
8. Splatoon
9. Need for Speed: Most Wanted
10. Shin-Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

tumblr_mh3ekpzIMT1r72ht7o1_500.gif

You played Devil's Third? I really wanted it but by that time I had already moved my Wii U to the closet. It was almost as good as Super Mario 3D World? Hopefully they'll remaster it at some point.
I played it extensively. It's definitely good, for a certain crowd of Itagaki enthusiasts. But it unfortunately has a few issues with framerate and poor textures on some parts. Some bosses are a little unbalanced.

But what's there is a Ninja Gaiden / FPS hybrid, so that's basically new and has never been done before, and it's awesome. You can see how the game would've come together without funding and game engine issues on the Japan level, which is the most polished of them all graphically, and it's really good. If you read every Itagaki interview like I did back in the day, then you'd know he's always been obsessed with WWII era vehicles, and the game has a really fun final level that's a full scale WWII era battle, since they have to fly old planes without electronics since the planet-wide EMP wiped out most everything. And did I mention that the game opens with a sick drum solo, and then right into killing everyone in a prison? The multiplayer was also surprisingly in depth and ambitious.

It's not an accident that Wanted: Dead is coming out soon, which is basically them trying the same thing as Devil's Third again, but with third person shooting instead of FPS.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It actually plays worse on Wii U as they removed all the Gamepad feature to accommodate for the Switch. And as I said many time : fuck you Nintendo for doing this.

BOTW doesn't even feel special, because it wasn't even Zelda's first time getting fucked like this.

Twilight Princess says hi.

Sojiro

I guess they are making this list omitting the ones that got ported to switch, because there isn't; BotW, MK8, Pikmin 3, 3D World, and Tropical Freeze which would easily be in the top 10 for the console. Going off not counting the games ported to switch I would go with:

1. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
2. Splatoon
3. Xenoblade Chronicles X
4. LoZ Wind Waker HD
5. The Wonderful 101
6. LoZ Twilight Princess HD
7. Nintendoland
8. Splinter Cell Blacklist
9. Deus Ex Human Revolution
10. Tekken Tag Tournament 2

My Wii U was a Monster Hunter machine until Splatoon came out. MH was a godsend since it came out during that software drought shortly after launch where it was rooough being a Wii U owner with so little to play on their new system. Gamepad functions were great for MH as well, you could make the TV HUD very minimal and having voice chat with the gamepad was so nice and felt like a step back with MH Rise not having voice chat at all.

Also big props to Nintendoland, which is still the best use of the gamepad and a game my family and I still occasionally play to this day.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

Did it?

Wow, it ran bad on Switch, can't begin to think how bad it played on the Wii U lol

Still GOAT (Switch)
Ran bad on the switch because they had to port the game on just a few months in order for it to be ready for the launch of the console. they didnt have time to optimize.

Katajx

Gold Member
For me its:

1. The Wonderful 101
2. Xenoblade X
3. Nintendo Land
4. Star Fox Zero
5. Splatoon
6. Pikmin 3
7. Genei Ibun Roku #Fe
8. Super Mario 3D World
9. Devil's Third
10. Zombi U

Nintendo Land gave me much more fun than I was expecting. I loved my time with that! The wonderful 101 is great too.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
  1. Breath of the Wild
  2. Mario Kart
  3. Super Mario 3D World
  4. Tropical Freeze
  5. Pikmin 3
  6. E-Shop
  7. Nintendo Land
  8. Wind Waker HD
  9. Hacking it to play PSX, GameCube, N64, Wii, Nes games.
  10. Wonderful 101
That's my list. Played more GameCube and N64 games on my Wii U than actual Wii U games.

Breath of the Wild played fine on the Wii U. I beat it on it, bought a Switch and bought BotW again and beat it again and can say the difference are barely perceptible. It's not the drastic difference some would like you to believe. Though, the absolute best way to play BotW is via emulation at 4k and 60+fps.

Last edited:
I first played BOTW only on Wii U (around 200 hours) and thought it played fine... then I got a Switch. It plays fine in the sense that it's playable on Wii U, but the Switch version is much better.

The Wii U version does have the feeling of "this is bringing the system to its knees," which I actually like, so it's fun from that perspective.

Top Bottom