• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Vampire Survivors Is a Beautiful $3 Nightmare Taking Over Steam

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Vampire Survivors Is a Beautiful $3 Nightmare Taking Over Steam​

Vampire Survivors is the latest hit game to take Steam by storm and at a very reasonably priced $2.99, the internet has clearly decided it can't really go wrong.

As per data from the game's SteamDB profile, Vampire Survivors has quickly amassed a small army of players. Currently the 27th most played game on the platform (at time of writing), the indie title has seen heights of over 37,000 concurrent players during the last 24 hours and audiences of around 139,000 viewers on Twitch.

Created by indie developer poncle, the gothic horror game comes with a number of roguelike elements and about as much chaos as you can confidently fit onto a monitor. While the game theoretically plays out as a twin-stick shooter, your character automatically attacks, which makes your job as a player to stay alive, collect XP in the form of gems, and unleash bullet-hell onto anything that moves. Don't believe us? Check out this clip below, and the accompanied keyboard taps, to see what we mean.

Within the game, players can choose from a number of different starting characters that each come with their own ability. After leveling up, you can then look to manage your weapons and upgrades before setting out to once again rid the land of anything and everything that moves. It's a common loop, but Vampire Survivors' quick pace and descent into madness seem to be the factors that have caused a number of fans on the internet to become addicted.

Over the past few days, social media has been flooded with fan reactions to the game, with some members of the community announcing that they've become completely addicted to Vampire Survivors gameplay. In honour of the game's recent success, we've picked out a few of our favourite reactions to this sudden Vampire-mania.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's a fun idle game, definitely worth the $2 but after about 15 or so runs it gets boring. I learned about it a few weeks ago from one of those YouTube channels that play lots of indie games

Shai-Tan

Banned
Reminds me of crimsonland and Alien Shooter a bit... never found any other game like crimsonland.
Might try this
you don't aim (well directly at least), so more like snkrx, which is like halfway between pacifist mode in the old shooters like geometry wars, super stardust, and normal twin stick shooters

edit: should add that it's easy even for that genre so don't expect bullet hell levels of dodging or anything

Last edited:

Pejo

My uncle that works for nintendo sent me a picture of the sequel coming out next year.

IeN9i.jpg

Lanrutcon

Haaaaaaated it.

Weird janky hitboxes, slow start, slow-assed progression system.

It's an oddly engaging concept, but the dimestore implementation holds it back. I guess now he has a budget?

stranno

OUYH1PGINPop-DVjCpjdMDMlfVLPfElAkVSGrbSDj-HANu_nBIwYTwON9rIqj91c8J4=w1879-h939-rw

If anyone is willing for something similar, try Magic Survival. Yes, of course it is a carbon copy for Android/iOS, what else :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I have been playing today and it is surprisingly decent. I mean, all enemies are the same black blob with different sizes and colors, but there are a lot of spells and classes, much more than on Vampire Survivors. Not to mention much more levels with some interactive elements on them. It's far more difficult than VS tho, I haven't completed a run (40 minutes) yet, after 30 minutes it gets really tough.

It's free, has just one ad after every level and you can pay for the upgrades, but they're not needed at all.

Last edited:

Holammer

Trawled upcoming games on Steam and came across Sexy Mystic Survivors.
I dismissed it at first as a cheap copy with some sexy waifu's, but it's actually looking really good. The enemies are 3d rendered and the engine is not dogshit. Almost a shame it's a 'sexual content' title.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I picked this back up yesterday after some frustration with Rogue Legacy 2. God damn this game is a steal at $3.

I wound up unlocking a ton of stuff and have been able to consistently hit the 30min mark on the first level. Now I'll try my luck at the second level since I have most of the weapon/item combos figured out.

Some of the character weapons are really cool, like Pugnala's.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Great game. But I suddenly stopped playing a month back or so and I've felt zero need to jump back in. Maybe later...

Skifi28

I'll never understand these flavor of the week games that everybody plays for a day or two and then completely die off. I guess it's what streamers on twitch "advertise" right now which I don't ever watch.

Holammer

I'll never understand these flavor of the week games that everybody plays for a day or two and then completely die off. I guess it's what streamers on twitch "advertise" right now which I don't ever watch.
It still reaches 15k concurrents daily and climbs to 40k territory each time they update (which is often). So it's a little bit more than mere mayfly.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've literally put 100 hours into this game. I've unlocked all of the achievements on both the Steam and the Gamepass PC version.

Genuine, simple fun gameplay that gives you a great sense of reward for your time spent. Tons of characters and weapons (thus new synergies) to unlock.
Difficulty modifiers through stage options (hyper mode + limit break and through items keeps the (end)game interesting.
It's honestly a truly solid game. The streamer hype has been there since early this year.

Skifi28

Wow, It seems like I was wrong and people really love this game. Can't say I see the appeal myself, but what do I know.

Top Bottom