• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] What to Expect From PlayStation in 2022

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/ps4-ps5-games-exclusives-news-rumors-2022

Exclusive Games in 2022​

From PlayStation Studios teams, we’re expecting God of War Ragnarok, the follow-up to 2018’s redefinition of the long-running series; Horizon Forbidden West, the first proper sequel to Guerrilla Games’ open-world 2017 hit, and Gran Turismo 7, the next numbered entry in the racing mainstay that only saw one game through the PS4’s lifetime. All three will launch on both PS4 and PS5, ensuring that players who loved their predecessors can still play them on PS4 while everyone who’s managed to find a PS5 amid continued stock shortages and scalpers can play them on the newest hardware. We’ve gotten decent looks at all three games, but right now Ragnarok remains without a firm release date. Forbidden West is set for February 18 and Gran Turismo will hit March 4. Early 2022 will also see a remastered release of Uncharted 4 and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy for PS5, and there are of course lingering projects we know are in the works, like Naughty Dog’s upcoming multiplayer game, seemingly spun off of work on The Last of Us Part 2’s originally planned multiplayer mode, Pixelopus’ collaboration with Sony Pictures Animation, and more.

That leaves much of the calendar year open for PlayStation to surprise us with other releases, particularly after PlayStation’s acquisition spree in 2021. PlayStation added four studios during the year - Bluepoint, Housemarque, Firesprite, and Nixxes. And while some of those studios just released games and likely won’t have new projects ready for 2022, we’ll likely learn what they’re up to during any of the major PlayStation showcases next year.

2022 will also see a few console launch exclusives from third parties, like Square Enix’s big new RPG series Forspoken, coming next spring, and Ghostwire Tokyo, Tango Gameworks’ first-person adventure that will still be hitting PS5 first despite the fact the developers are now owned by Xbox. 2022 will also see indie exclusives that have been mainstays of PlayStation showcases, like the Annapurna Interactive-published Stray, and Absolver developer Sloclap’s kung-fu fighter Sifu, though it’s unclear if other indie highlights like Little Devil Inside will also hit in 2022.

dotnotbot

cant wait to sell my ps5 and play all ps exclusive games on my high end pc with intel (c) graphics processor

dream dreaming GIF

BaneIsPain

Horizon, Gt7 and if we’re lucky, God of War Ragnarok. Not forgetting forspoken , little devil inside; stray, ghostwire and sifu. A good backlog next year.

Markio128

Hopefully they are not gonna blow all their load at the beginning of the year.
Sony must be a little concerned about Starfield gaining all the hype on the run up to Christmas, so I expect them to have some sort of big release around the same time - GOW2 perhaps? Though a PS5 only release would gain more attention. I believe FF16 is PS5 only, so that would be a massive counter.

Last edited:

wOs

The only thing more worthless than the information in that article is that you posted here and I spent a minute reading it.

God of war, gran tourismo, and horizon have been known for ages. Then they say hey they bought studios but two just released games.

Im Amazed someone got paid to type that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sony must be a little concerned about Starfield gaining all the hype on the run up to Christmas, so I expect them to have some sort of big release around the same time - GOW2 perhaps? Though a PS5 only release would gain more attention. I believe FF16 is PS5 only, so that would be a massive counter.
Yeah they probably have a counter move.

Althought i think that nothing can really obscure starfield hype...(and i give 2 fucks about that thing)

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Going to be a couple sought after collections next year that will help fill some of Sony's gaps.

God of war will be Sony's bigger early-late fall game. Similar to Spiderman on PS5 launch its going to sell gangbusters and chart consecutively along with Starfield. i don't think Sony is worried.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Agreed, but the release of FF16 would certainly take the sting out of it for PS5 only gamers.

Depending on their progress we will be lucky if FF16 makes it next year. I highly doubt since they are so far behind. And for the sake of releases they dont want to release FF16 during fall.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Im interested in finding out the GoW story, im most excited for a TLOU2MP.

Lots of content, but does not really get me excited for next gen reminds me of xbox's 2021.

Markio128

Depending on their progress we will be lucky if FF16 makes it next year. I highly doubt since they are so far behind. And for the sake of releases they dont want to release FF16 during fall.
All we know is that the development is 6 months behind due to covid. It currently sounds like they are polishing aspects of the game, which suggests that it could be in the final stages of development, so I wouldn’t be surprised one way or the other. I’m sure I read somewhere that the release of the game would not be long after the next showing.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Between cross gen, pc/console releases, timed exclusives, and fanboy rhetoric what does EXCLUSIVE mean anymore?!
Jimmy Fallon Fighting GIF
Damn bro, you ok?

People really get bent outta shape if a game releases on another platform like it somehow takes away their enjoyment.

I need to play God of War and Horizon before the sequels drop. Put horizon on the plus collection Sony!!!

kingfey

Banned
All I care is hfw and god of war. Rest is meh for me.

When will spiderman and wolverine year is it? 2023 or 2024?

yurinka

I think they will have a stunning year. As I remember, seems that they will have:
Uncharted 4 remastered
Horizon 2
Gran Turismo 7
God of War Ragnarok
Forspoken
Ghostwire Tokyo
DNF Duel
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Babylon's Fall
Sifu
Stray
Little Devil Inside
Tchia
(for the lol caused by the drama) Abandoned
(maybe) Final Fantasy XVI
(maybe) TLOU Factions 2
(maybe) TLOU remake + TLOU2 PS5 (+PC?)
(maybe) Helldivers 2
(maybe) PSVR2 + PSVR2 launch window games from maybe people like Team Asobi or Firesprite
(maybe) PS Plus + PS Now merge and relaunch
(maybe) OS stuff like VRR, folders and clock fix

Plus in the multiplatform side, just to mention some:
Elder Ring
Howgarts Legacy
Suicide Squad
Gotham Knights
A Plague Tale: Requiem
Marvel's Midnight Suns
Star Ocean: The Divine Force
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
King of Fighters XV
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
GTAV refurbished edition
(I think will be delayed to 2023) Street Fighter VI
(I think will be delayed to 2023) Dragon's Dogma 2
(I think will be delayed to 2023) Avatar
(I think will be delayed to 2023) Cyberpunk 2077 properly fixed and next gen native version released

I also think during 2022 year we'll see game announcements (very likely released during 2023 and 2024) from Firewalk, Deviation, Haven, London Studio and Firesprite.

Nah, Sony always gives the Q4 to the big (multiplatforms) 3rd party. I see GoW as a September game. Sony will have a shit ton of (multi+exclusive) big selling games during the whole 2022 year, they will continue selling all the consoles they are able to ship in a few minutes. They won't care if some people is hyped about an exclusive of the competition since they will be selling a lot.

If SE is able to have FFXVI ready for 2022 it will be fine for Sony, if not too because they already going to have a packed year.

Between cross gen, pc/console releases, timed exclusives, and fanboy rhetoric what does EXCLUSIVE mean anymore?!
Jimmy Fallon Fighting GIF
A game that at launch is only released in a single console brand.

When will spiderman and wolverine year is it? 2023 or 2024?
Very likely yes, Spider-Man 2 is 2023 and Wolverine TBA. Basically Spider-Man 2 is made by the Spider-Man 1 team and Wolverine is made by the Morales team, so 2023 and 2024 make sense.

Then Insomniac also has the Rift Apart people and the guys who made VR/AR stuff, plus they are hiring. So this gen Insomniac may also release some PSVR2 experiment before Spider-Man 2 and a Ratchet game after Wolverine.

Last edited:

Elios83

You can expect games for PS…..
What to expect from ign, either bankruptcy or a shit load of click bait article.

LOL indeed tons and tons of clickbaits with no substance :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sony is going to have an amazing year.
Tons of exclusives and huge games in general both from first and third parties.
Horizon, GT7, Forspoken, Tokyo Ghostwire, God of War, Sifu, Stray, Little Devil Inside, Harry Potter, quite possibly FFXVI, the launch of PSVR2 with all its still unannounced titles and of course all the currently unannounced surprises scheduled for 2022 (I think Naughty Dog is really likely to release their multiplayer game this year especially if it's not a totally new IP but based on the TLOU world).
They really need to find ways to increase production considerably because demand will be through the roof.

Last edited:

K' Dash

2022 will be one of the best years in recent memory. God of War Ragnarök, Horizon Forbidden West and GT7 are some of the biggest Playstation franchises.

Those games being cross gen deflates the hype a lot, I want to see what the machine is capable when building from the ground up for it.

It makes sense for the business side though.

Those games being cross gen deflates the hype a lot, I want to see what the machine is capable when building from the ground up for it.

It makes sense for the business side though.
They're all direct sequels. They're built on 90% of what came before. The fact that Horizon looks as good as it does is genuinely surprising. Probably will have to wait for a new IP before you see anything like you're describing.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Imo Sony only need two big AAA exclusives per year because of the strength of their brand and because of their third party partners. Next year they have three big exclusives. It also wouldn’t surprise anyone if GoW was delayed until Spring ‘23 so that they can add to the PS5 install base before releasing it and maybe fill in for a ‘23 planned game which was severely affected by Covid and is now hitting ‘24.

Labadal

I want more platforming games. Japanese third party studios are starting to deliver jrpgs, which I don't expect Sony themselves to do.

More Ratchet, Sackboy, and hopefully Sly or Jak and Daxter.

Papacheeks

Banned
All we know is that the development is 6 months behind due to covid. It currently sounds like they are polishing aspects of the game, which suggests that it could be in the final stages of development, so I wouldn’t be surprised one way or the other. I’m sure I read somewhere that the release of the game would not be long after the next showing.

Polishing means bug fixing. ANd they also said they were suppose to be done with rendered/Scenes. So getting those done, lip sync done for US release takes time. Mainly on top of bug fixing, Which comes before optimization. To do that and have it set for different regions is a big undertaking. I'll be surprised if it makes it 2022.

Polishing means bug fixing. ANd they also said they were suppose to be done with rendered/Scenes. So getting those done, lip sync done for US release takes time. Mainly on top of bug fixing, Which comes before optimization. To do that and have it set for different regions is a big undertaking. I'll be surprised if it makes it 2022.
They did english lip syncing before japanese for 16.

Yeah they probably have a counter move.

Althought i think that nothing can really obscure starfield hype...

4ae7651ef6c7ed0c1c1bdbc348d6ca445b7c3cf7.gifv

I think people are sleepin if they think sony announced their entire line up already with nothing for the fiscal year of 2022 outside of Ragnarok.

Typically sony is gonna have a few 1st party offerings on paper for investors from March 2022-March 2023

Last edited:
Top Bottom