• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Which Platform Is Right For You?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Having the right gaming setup can completely transform your gaming experience. But with so many options in platforms, peripherals, and in-game items, it can be tough to know which ones are right for you. Mark Medina is here to break down and compare some of the top Gaming Platforms available right now, including PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Steamdeck, PC, and Nintendo Switch!

Is this thread worthy material? I would at least expect an OP to provide context, opinion, or summary instead of just plopping down a youtube video like this is facebook.

My opinion is, to have all consoles and enjoy the games. I have it all and that's all.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Great reasons to own all these systems. For me...

PS5: Awesome exclusives, DualSense. Last played: God of War Ragnarok
XSX: Game Pass. Last played: Tinykin
Switch: Portability, exclusives. Last played: Shin Megami Tensei V
PC: Everything, anything. Last played: A Plague Tale: Requiem
Steam Deck: Everything, anything, anywhere. Last played: Trails of Cold Steel

Last edited:

lachesis

As I like new hardwares/toys - so I always get them all. Problem is finding time to play them all.
Having said so, if I had to cut back everything..... here would be my order.

1. PC. Not necessarily super duper 4090 - but a mid tier CPU/GPU that can handle current gen games for good 60fps at 1080p - 1440p.
2. Switch. Nintendo exclusives and portability. Technically I could emulate them on PC, but I don't like emulating any current gen stuff unless the official system support itself is discontinued and there's no way to play.
3. PS5 and XSX. I'm actually thinking would I even need these in next gen - as most of the games are available or coming to PC anyway, Sony's exclusives included.
4. Steam Deck. Nice machine and I love it - but it's meant to be a side piece.

Fredrik

I’ve already accepted that I need all of them. Anything less and I’ll just be awfully negative about games I would otherwise be hyped about, too exhausting at my age.

Mr Hyde

I got PS5 and PS3 for the ultimate Playstation experience, boasting 4 generations of PS. And then I got the Switch for the handheld experience plus Nintendo exclusives that I can´t live without. Last but not least I have a PC, which I use sparingly when there is a game that´s not coming to my other platforms, such as Xbox/PC games. I feel I´m pretty covered with this set up.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Which platform is right for me?

everyone GIF

Zuzu

I've ended up with all of them (Oled Switch, Series S, Series X & PS5). All of them are fantastic and, wrt Series/PS5, they are much better than the terrible Xbox One & PS4 hardware!

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Great reasons to own all these systems. For me...

PS5: Awesome exclusives, DualSense. Last played: God of War Ragnarok
XSX: Game Pass. Last played: Tinykin
Switch: Portability, exclusives. Last played: Shin Megami Tensei V
PC: Everything, anything. Last played: A Plague Tale: Requiem
Steam Deck: Everything, anything, anywhere. Last played: Trails of Cold Steel
Topher:
Make It Rain Money GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

Me:
Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m just about focusing on one platform now, and PC delivers better than anyone else.

If I were still a console player I’d likely be PS5, given how badly Microsoft is bumbling around.

T4keD0wN

I am glad that my initial choice was made easy by me not even knowing how to hold a controller which still applies to me to this day.
Dont most people end up being bound by whichever theyve started with due to their library being there or do you guys migrate platforms?
I thought about getting a ps5 or series x when they came out due to how cheap were compared to 300% msrp gpu and then i realized it would be cheaper for me to buy like 2 3090s because my entire library is elsewhere.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
To me PS5 and XSX combo satisfied me, i like the PS5 games and at the future Xbox will get games you can only play on Xbox if you don't game on PC, good combo, both great consoles.

I like xbox exclusives quite a bit because it usually offers multiplayer and longevity with DLC.

Forza Horizon.
Flight simulator.
Halo Infinite.
Grounded.

Can't wait for Red fall and Age of empires to finally drop on xbox.

I take the money I would otherwise invest into a "MASTER RACE PC" and Buy literally everything - PS5, PS5VR2, Switch, and Xbox Series X. All for cheaper than building a new rig would cost.

I’ve been Xbox/Nintendo since the 360/Wii. To be honest no Xbox or Sony exclusives have been system sellers for me (well at least since Oblivion, Mass Effect 1, and Bioshock were 360 exclusive at first). I’ve just gotten Xboxes for multiplat games mostly and backwards compatibility. Nintendo systems for the exclusives.

I can’t really justify getting a PS4/5 just to play Bloodborne when I could get anything else I’m interested on Xbox already. If I were loaded I probably would but I’m content with what I have.

reinking

Gold Member
🏁 PC -Pretty much always have something up.
☑️ PS5 -My main console(s) -At least one of the two will become a PSVR 2 machine.
✅ XBSX -My Game Pass console.
☑️ Switch -Pretty much a handheld at this point.
☑️ iOS -I recently moved back to iPhone/iPad Air as my daily drivers. Quick game sessions like Pocket Card Jockey with an occasional old school big hitter like Chrono Trigger.
☑️ Android -Added a Kashi controller and converted my old One Plus 7 Pro to a handheld emulation/Android gaming machine.
☑️ Lots of retro consoles that I mostly store in a closet. :messenger_pensive:
❌ SteamDeck -I do not feel I need one right now. There are too many other options with laptops and tablets plus the above-mentioned handheld options.

I have always loved having all consoles and at least a mid-tier PC. I have recently considered that I might be happier by reducing some of the options and focusing my time on two or three. There is a lot of overlap, especially with this generation. I'm not in a hurry to get rid of anything I currently own but I might hold off on one or two next gen consoles. The SteamDeck launch gave me a FOMO feeling but now that the lunch window is over, I have found I do not think I would be using it much. We will see if I can hold out during the next launch seasons.

Last edited:
Series X is currently my Goto for everything 3rd party. Gamepass is pretty much doing the heavy lifting for my games. Will trade in the Series X as soon as any Pro version is released.
Steam Deck is currently my PC. It does everything my HTPC does and more. My HTPC is getting retired as it takes up too much space under the TV, is loud and clunky. I'm donating it, just don't know where or how.
I'll be buying God of War Ragnarok for PS5 and then the PS5 is going to be traded in for steam/xbox store cards, till Sony has a backlog of exclusives. I'm thinking 2025 there should be 3 or 4 games that I'll want to play. If the PS5 Pro is released, I'll get that to play them.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
PC is the only right platform for me. I had the pleasure of playing The Witcher 3 on current generation console yesterday and it was miserable.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Sony exclusives: PS5
Nintendo exclusives: Switch
Everything else: Xbox Series X

This has been my approach since the One X came out and it’s been perfect for me.

Building my digital library on Xbox has paid in dividends w/ their approach to BC, Auto HDR, FPS Boost, Enhanced BC, Game Pass, xCloud, and Smart Delivery, as well as their loyalty program with Microsoft Rewards.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Why is that? Poor performance?

Everything from buying the game (it redirects you to a clunky looking website that you need to navigate using the controller) to installing audio pack, awful vibration implementations (seriously, it adds nothing to immersion and just sounds like my controller is broken) and lack of basic graphical options like turning off vignette or motion blur. Oh, and you can’t skip the fucking logos/splash screen when you start the game. Why.

fermcr

PC is more then enough for me. Don't have time for more gaming.
If I had a console, my backlog would only increase...

Top Bottom