• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN x NXGamer - Deathloop Performance Review Xbox Series X|S vs PS5

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Deathloop Xbox Series X release is here, in this IGN Performance review we will be pitting the Series X vs PS5 vs Series S, testing all modes, graphics, and frame rates. Deathloop is available on game pass meaning this PS5 exclusive can be enjoyed across Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. With 120fps and Ray Tracing modes included we compare all modes in this Performance review.

adamsapple

TL - DR

- Visually PS5 and Series X are about identical.
- RT, Quality and Performance modes are about identical in visuals and resolution metrics.
- NXG noticed the RT mode on PS5 doesn't seem to have FSR sharpening like SX but he thinks it is an oversight
- Performance in RT mode and Performance mode is identical across with a single isolated drop when an achievement popped on SX
- In Quality mode SX can have 5 to 6 FPS advantage in combat.
- 120hz is only recommended if you have a VRR display because there is a lot of tearing otherwise.
- Series X is on general 5 to 6, but can go 10 to 12 FPS higher in this mode.
- PS5 loads 2 seconds faster than Series S|X (11 seconds vs 13 seconds)

- Series S doesn't have RT mode.
- Quality and Performance modes both run 1080p w/ VRS. Quality mode matches visual settings with PS5|SX at lower resolution. Performance mode cuts LoD and shadow cascades beyond that.
- Both modes target 60 FPS and generally do a great job. NXG only noticed 1 single frame drop in Quality mode and thinks there is a lot of overhead left on the table with it.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I seriously know nothing of this game. Is it good? What does it compare to? Thinking about installing from Gamepass.

DonJorginho

Banned
I seriously know nothing of this game. Is it good? What does it compare to? Thinking about installing from Gamepass.
If you enjoyed Dishonored you'll enjoy the stealth/combat loop and the great level design.

It's a bit misleading how the game presents itself as some open mystery when it's really far more linear than first presented, but the polish from the devs and the overall aesthetics on show for this game made it an extremely enjoyable experience for me.

I've beat the game a few times on PC and really loved it...and said I was gone give it a rest and keep playing a few RPG's until Ragnarok but...I want them achievements since I know how to get em lol

Last edited:

Mr Moose

That's not how framerate works...
Frame18994.png

Frame18995.png

hmm.gif

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
That mode drops the resolution down to 1080p.

I, personally, think the 4K Quality 60hz mode is sufficient enough for a single player game unless you REALLY want that extra fluidity.
So quality in here is 60? Most games quality is 30.

What's the point of performance mode then, more locked?

adamsapple

So quality in here is 60? Most games quality is 30.

What's the point of performance mode then, more locked?

Yeah, it's like the recent Saints Row. Both Quality and Performance are 60 FPS, Performance is virtually 100% locked. Quality has some drops, but if you have a VRR display, they are well within the VRR range so it's a no brainer to use that mode there. SX has fewer drops from 60 compared to PS5, so it's a viable mode even if you don't have a VRR display.

You get dynamic 2160p to 1800 something p in Quality meanwhile Performance stays between 1296 to 1440p in general.

I've been playing in the Quality mode and it's definitely my preferred way of playing.

Last edited:

MikeM

That mode drops the resolution down to 1080p.

I, personally, think the 4K Quality 60hz mode is sufficient enough for a single player game unless you REALLY want that extra fluidity.
I was waiting for this and tried it on both my PS5 and Series X with my LG C1. I can’t tell the difference between them. Playing purely on 1080p 120fps and don’t notice the drops. Yes, I love a crisp framerate.

Decided to play on PS5 because Dualsense.

TIGERCOOL

is there a way to get this game to not feel like shit on PC without locking 60fps? getting decent fps but the frame timing just feels brutal anywhere above it. is it the same on consoles? the motion looks horrible too like theres some weird tearing going on

is there a way to get this game to not feel like shit on PC without locking 60fps? getting decent fps but the frame timing just feels brutal anywhere above it. is it the same on consoles? the motion looks horrible too like theres some weird tearing going on

Consoles never have these issues, mostly.

Kagey K

Banned
Welcome to PC Gaming, fuck with shit until it feels right.

Banned

it's not a frametime issue it's the mouse/camera movement that is wrongly interpolated between frames.

so you basically have uneven mouse motion.

you should lock it to 120fps or 60fps to minimise that.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
So use quality mode if you’re on a Series S, locked 60fps practically with only 1 frame drop in the video.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
ityabX6.gif

Xsx takes it. SeriesS mode looks decent too. Who would of thought, the little console that could, not holding back games 😲

PC Game Pass version is broken, I think.

I played this game last year on Steam at near max settings with Ray tracing and DLSS, getting around 80 FPS on an RTX 2060 Super.

Cherrypepsi

Lately I find it funny comparing XSX and PS5 with some single fps drops or a minor difference here and there when in the meantime Nvidia just released a GPU with 82.58 TFLOPS

adamsapple

The video is interesting and his summary is accurate though, isn't it? That's what matters, not the OP's username. 🤷🏻‍♂️

r2p0M2X.png

So use quality mode if you’re on a Series S, locked 60fps practically with only 1 frame drop in the video.

Yep, going by historical trends, I won't be surprised if there's a future patch in the coming days which increases he performance metrics for Series S.

I wonder how much dedicated development time Arkane put on the Xbox builds, it's a good result for what amounts like a very quick and dirty port.

Last edited:
Top Bottom