• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "Xbox Game Pass Is Having its Best Stretch Ever"

Deerock71

Hungry Night Court GIF by Laff
homer simpson eating GIF
Hungry Ghostbusters GIF

Topher

Gold Member
Between Game Pass and Gamefly disc rental, I very well may not buy another game on console for quite some time. After I finished Hogwarts on PC, I'll have Octopath Traveler 2 (Gamefly) waiting on me. I still haven't tried Atomic Heart. Also Wo Long (both Game Pass). In April, Jedi Knight Survivor (Gamefly). May Zelda: TotK (Gamefly) and Redfall (Game Pass).

That's just the first half of the year.

Hungry Food GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Between Game Pass and Gamefly disc rental, I very well may not buy another game on console for quite some time. After I finished Hogwarts on PC, I'll have Octopath Traveler 2 (Gamefly) waiting on me. I still haven't tried Atomic Heart. Also Wo Long (both Game Pass). In April, Jedi Knight Survivor (Gamefly). May Zelda: TotK (Gamefly) and Redfall (Game Pass).

That's just the first half of the year.

Hungry Food GIF

My man. You do almost exactly the same thing I do.

90% rentals or GP, 10% buy to own. RE4 remake is the next game I'll buy and own and it'll probably be the last one until late summer or even autumn.

Pallas

Gold Member
But Gaf told me that Gamepass is trash?

Seriously though it’s looking like a pretty good year so far for Gamepass, if Starfield does release in June(which I kind of doubt it) then that pretty much cements the service as worth owning, at least for 2023.

I’m convinced he’s a robot. Look at his post history, dude is obsessed with Xbox.

I’ve never seen him talk about playing a game or express excitement for a game. His posts are usually a single sentence shit post (in broken English).
Mods are pretty good at keeping an eye on trolls.
I make no doubts that I play on Xbox, and I will defend things that I think people are wrong on, but I don't go into Sony or Nintendo or PC threads just to shit on them. Infact, I doubt I even comment in those threads, and if I do it most likely will be saying something positive about it.

Its like clockwork with some people around here. You can almost guarantee that if there is a thread about Gamepass, Xbox or Phil Spencer, within a couple of posts you will get some comments like "xbox need to concentrate on trying to get their existing studios up to speed" or "Phil Spencer can't stop lying" or "Xbox has no games" or "no one wants to buy an xbox".

Ozriel

M$FT
I don’t think many people hate the service as much as they are highly skeptical of its long time financial viability.

Didn’t realize there were so many Microsoft shareholders here. That changes everything!

Having Starfield day 1 on Gamepass is such a huge mistake. MS will loose so much money yet won’t increase their subscriber numbers long term.

Adding quality to a service usually results in increased subscriber count. They’ll sell millions at retail and Steam, so no real issues.

geary

Having Starfield day 1 on Gamepass is such a huge mistake. MS will loose so much money yet won’t increase their subscriber numbers long term.
People will subscribe to play it, but i bet that afterwards they’ll by the game on steam for the modding community. This game is not a one and done.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
People will subscribe to play it, but i bet that afterwards they’ll by the game on steam for the modding community. This game is not a one and done.
perhaps... but I still think that it's going to massivly cut into their initial sales and don't think the new subs are going to stay, hence there will be no payoff.

recma12

I don't have enough time to play it all.

Even Soul Hackers 2 is dropping out of nowhere.

Same here, 2023 has been crazy on GPU. Props to Xbox.

Played Pentiment and High on Life, downloaded P3/P4 remakes and MH Rise.
Then they release Hi Fi Rush, now I have Atomic Heart and a 10h demo of Wild Hearts lined up.
Now they have Soulhackers and Wo Long coming.

You are looking at this the wrong way.
Of course they would make more if they sold Starfield for 70€ initially.

But what is the alternative to attract subscribers? Yeah, discounts, marketing and other shit that also costs money.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
Its like clockwork with some people around here. You can almost guarantee that if there is a thread about Gamepass, Xbox or Phil Spencer, within a couple of posts you will get some comments like "xbox need to concentrate on trying to get their existing studios up to speed" or "Phil Spencer can't stop lying" or "Xbox has no games" or "no one wants to buy an xbox".
Maybe you shouldn’t take it so seriously. It’s a trillion dollar company. They don’t care about you

mrmustard

Banned
Who cares?

They can worry about their money, I'll worry about mine.
Exactly. All that worry and concern about the money or success of a trillion dollar company. Right now Game Pass is the undisputed price-performance winner in the gaming industry and if it ends someday who cares. By that time i will have saved thousands of Euros while others only wasted their time and tears.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Hey look, after last Friday's Phil Spencer thread the bingo came up with your usual 'Game Pass is the GOAT'.
It’s a third-party game available on PlayStation, sure, but it’ll cost you $70 over there.
If you buy it Day 1 at full price that is. Which people almost never do. The game will be on sale in 8 weeks.

Year of Xbox.
Justin Timberlake Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
perhaps... but I still think that it's going to massivly cut into their initial sales and don't think the new subs are going to stay, hence there will be no payoff.

Why would the new subs not stay?

Starfield is a massive RPG that quite a lot of people will play for years…just like Skyrim. The service itself is pretty sticky. Use big games to bring subscribers in, and then retain a large number of them.

Don’t get misled by all the forum talk about dipping in and out with $1 subs. That’s the minority. Most People aren’t dipping in and out of Netflix or Apple Music subs either.

Chukhopops

Game is still the #1 most wishlisted game on Steam, it’s going to sell gangbusters even with GP day 1.

Bethesda games have incredible longevity as well, with decade old games still more active than some new launched games. Then there’s expansions, paid mods, etc.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Im kinda in shock how good it is so far ... but I'm okay with hyper-sexualized refrigerators.
Same here. Once the game opens up it's pretty damn good. I dont think I've played such a weird and brilliant game.

I've been doing a few of those test chambers, I didnt expect them to be that trippy, infact the whole game is a strange breath of fresh air. If this is what we can expect from Russian developers then I'm all for it. It beats most of the stagnant shit AAA publishers have been putting out.

We need this type of game more than ever.

I think gamepass gets some pretty good games lately, like High on Life, Hi-Fi Rush and Atomic Hearts. So that's nice for covering my sub costs I guess. However they are non comparable to any Sony or Nintendo big hitters and the games will be forgotten about in a few months if you're honest. It's a shame MS really makes a mess of it's own releases because they actually do have some awesome memorable IP's, that unfortunately we don't get to see more than 2 years after Series release, or the games actually published are mediocre at best "looking at you Halo Infinite". MS really needs to step up a loooooot to become competitive again, and it won't come from buying publishers. It should come from within the own development teams, creating great games once again, like on the OG xbox and 360.

Ozriel

M$FT
or the games actually published are mediocre at best "looking at you Halo Infinite".

Halo Infinite is rated as one of the best games of 2021, and its problems largely stem from extremely slow drip of multiplayer content and some delayed features. ‘Mediocre at best’ is a stretch from leaping on bandwagons.

Aside that, they’ve put out multiple very well received games.

You can argue that these games don’t have the market impact of something like HFW or GoW Ragnarok, but that doesn’t translate to dismissing well reviewed games like FH5, Flight Sim, Hi-Fi Rush, Pentiment or Grounded as ‘mediocre at best’.

Halo Infinite is rated as one of the best games of 2021, and its problems largely stem from extremely slow drip of multiplayer content and some delayed features. ‘Mediocre at best’ is a stretch from leaping on bandwagons.

Aside that, they’ve put out multiple very well received games.

You can argue that these games don’t have the market impact of something like HFW or GoW Ragnarok, but that doesn’t translate to dismissing well reviewed games like FH5, Flight Sim, Hi-Fi Rush, Pentiment or Grounded as ‘mediocre at best’.
Not having market impact is exactly the problem MS has right now. I know Halo is rated highly, but c'mon, the game is nothing special, content starved, there's only 1 biome blehblehbleh craig. The other games you listed are actual good games I'd say, but yes they are mediocre from a mass people view, and that's why it has no market impact. Games can review as 99/100 on Metacritic, and maybe even the user reviews get the same number, but then you can just see with Pentiment e.g., it does only appeal a very small amount of people. Yes those people will have the time of their life with that game, but from a mass people view, it's just not it. MS needs to publish more (or at least 1 to start with) IT games that the big audience actually wants to play to start recovering their swindling support at the moment.

Mods are pretty good at keeping an eye on trolls.
I make no doubts that I play on Xbox, and I will defend things that I think people are wrong on, but I don't go into Sony or Nintendo or PC threads just to shit on them. Infact, I doubt I even comment in those threads, and if I do it most likely will be saying something positive about it.

To be fair, it's MS itself saying no one wants to buy an Xbox and even posts percentages vs some other system.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game Pass takes me back to when I was poor and pirated all the games, gives me the feel that I'm scamming someone by playing all this shit almost for free. :goog_relieved:

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Are we pretending poorly received games are must-have releases now?
Screenshot-20230224-114102.jpg
Screenshot-20230224-114203.jpg

Are poorly received games games that are not 10/10, or games just not published by Sony?
If you buy it Day 1 at full price that is. Which people almost never do. The game will be on sale in 8 weeks
Not really. Games sells the most during the first few months.
Including sonys.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Screenshot-20230224-114102.jpg
Screenshot-20230224-114203.jpg

Are poorly received games games that are not 10/10, or games just not published by Sony?

Not really. Games sells the most during the first few months.
Including sonys.
If the journos don't say the game is a 10/10, gets 100+ GOTY awards and sells over 20 million units, then I'm sorry but your game is shit.

Top Bottom