• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "Xbox Game Pass Is Having its Best Stretch Ever"

Spyxos

Gamepass has shown me so many new games that I normally would never have bought. I also always have something to play and relatively cheap. It looks like this year is really going to kick off with Gp.

It's also ideal for me right now, since I can't really spend 80 euros on games right now. But I also noticed that I hardly buy any games for the Xbox. I think my last one was Avengers....

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I never buy games unless I really want to play something day 1. For example Hogwarts Legacy I bought, but otherwise there really is no need to buy new games. There is more than enough great games on Game Pass. At least for my taste, and my life. I can't play 20 hours a week anymore, so it's not like I'm able to play all the great, and good games and "finish" Game Pass.

So many bangers on there. Its a great service, no doubt.

I

Smoke6

MS already said it was profitable. Believe it or not people stay subscribed to it for the long term not just for new games but old games. If MS Activision deal approves, MS will have all the older COD games on game pass.

That is almost 20 titles from a popular franchise.
Who’s playing those older titles? I’m sure some play maybe a few CODs back but most move forward along with the current releases! What was stopping activision from putting them on gamepass and PS+ from the beginning?

To be fair, it's MS itself saying no one wants to buy an Xbox and even posts percentages vs some other system.
Microsoft hasn't said no one wants to buy an Xbox. Talk about hyperbole.
Sony and the Regulators are saying that with MS buying ABK it will make them a gaming monopoly. They are showing that Sony is the monopoly in the industry and not them. They counted all the PS4s and PS5s vs the Xbox Ones and Series consoles to show that they are a minority in the gaming space.
Now you have to try and keep two opposite narratives going. Microsoft is going to be a monopoly if they buy ABK, yet no one wants to buy an Xbox. Microsoft has got you all tripping over yourselves with your logic.

Last edited:
Who’s playing those older titles? I’m sure some play maybe a few CODs back but most move forward along with the current releases! What was stopping activision from putting them on gamepass and PS+ from the beginning?
Sony not paying them enough thats who. Also, when black ops appear for xbox one it was one of the most played games.

Topher

Gold Member
Sony and the Regulators are saying that with MS buying ABK it will make them a gaming monopoly. They are showing that Sony is the monopoly in the industry and not them. They counted all the PS4s and PS5s vs the Xbox Ones and Series consoles to show that they are a minority in the gaming space.
Now you have to try and keep two opposite narratives going. Microsoft is going to be a monopoly if they buy ABK, yet no one wants to buy an Xbox. Microsoft has got you all tripping over yourselves with your logic.

No one said MS buying ABK would make them a monopoly. The only concern expressed by regulators was that it would "lessen competition". No one has said Sony is a "monopoly" either. Not even Microsoft. Only thing being tripped over is false narratives.

To be fair, it's MS itself saying no one wants to buy an Xbox and even posts percentages vs some other system.

That isn't what was said either. In Cold Blood In Cold Blood got that much right.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Wut? P5R remaster just came out on all platforms, and is on Game Pass.
I see people just see Xbox and get their warrior hats on and don't actually read the OP around here.

Ok guys persona 5 that old game that also released on Xbox half a year ago proves that Xbox is performing at its peak capabilities...

I hope we get another port of a 6 year old game. That's what we really want from our system 🤣🤣

Nydius

Come back when you understand the difference between monopoly and monopolistic practices.

Once you understand the critical difference between the two, and that one doesn't necessarily need to have a monopoly to be guilty of -- or, at threat of using -- monopolistic practices, maybe we can have an actual discussion. The fear, and a valid one, is that Microsoft will take all of their industry consolidation and eventually use that to not only deprive competing platforms of formerly multiplatform IPs but also to leverage their Game Pass service, on which they can eat losses by virtue of their massive corporate warchest that dwarfs their competitors combined.

But hey, what do I know? I only lived through the whole Microsoft using shady OEM contracts to force the adoption of Windows, and then the adoption of Windows to force the adoption of MSIE. MSIE was dead last in the browser space until, you know, Microsoft leveraged monopolistic practices.

Last edited:
Logic is sound, no one wants to buy an Xbox according to MS, so they want to buy ABK so people want to buy an Xbox because ABK games are awesome.

If MS business was running good and awesome they’d be about even with PS5 in sales like with the 360. They would release great first party games to get there, but unfortunately there’s not really any of that yet.

That doesn’t mean it can’t change. I really hope MS steps up since I own a Xbox series X and I bought a series S for my little boy. Right now they’re gathering a lot of dust though save some 2/3 games I played on it last year. The PS5 and Switch are used constantly in comparison.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Logic is sound, no one wants to buy an Xbox according to MS, so they want to buy ABK so people want to buy an Xbox because ABK games are awesome.

If MS business was running good and awesome they’d be about even with PS5 in sales like with the 360. They would release great first party games to get there, but unfortunately there’s not really any of that yet.

That doesn’t mean it can’t change. I really hope MS steps up since I own a Xbox series X and I bought a series S for my little boy. Right now they’re gathering a lot of dust though save some 2/3 games I played on it last year. The PS5 and Switch are used constantly in comparison.

Hi-Fi Rush is one of the best reviewed games this year and you haven’t played it on your Xbox because reasons

Shrieking about Xbox not having games to play while you studiously avoid excellent games. Strange times.

Riky

$MSFT
Hi-Fi Rush is one of the best reviewed games this year and you haven’t played it on your Xbox because reasons

Shrieking about Xbox not having games to play while you studiously avoid excellent games. Strange times.

You also only have to look at the games with an 85+ metacritic to see it isn't true either, coupled with a record publisher of the year win in 2021.

I actually played Hi-Fi rush for about 2 hours so far. I mentioned that before even, also played High on Life and Pentiment. The last one I really couldn’t get into because the type of game it is, it’s just not for me, but I do believe it’s a good game. I’m not avoiding them at all since I played them, it’s just not mass appeal games and if you can’t see that it’s on you. And if they all were, MS wouldn’t have this low market share to begin with. And if they all were MS wouldn’t and wouldn’t have to buy Activision Blizzard.

Ozriel

M$FT
I actually played Hi-Fi rush for about 2 hours so far. I mentioned that before even, also played High on Life and Pentiment. The last one I really couldn’t get into because the type of game it is, it’s just not for me, but I do believe it’s a good game. I’m not avoiding them at all since I played them, it’s just not mass appeal games and if you can’t see that it’s on you. And if they all were, MS wouldn’t have this low market share to begin with. And if they all were MS wouldn’t and wouldn’t have to buy Activision Blizzard.

So you lied when you claimed you hadn’t turned on your Xbox this year.

As expected. Carry on

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Come back when you understand the difference between monopoly and monopolistic practices.

Once you understand the critical difference between the two, and that one doesn't necessarily need to have a monopoly to be guilty of -- or, at threat of using -- monopolistic practices, maybe we can have an actual discussion. The fear, and a valid one, is that Microsoft will take all of their industry consolidation and eventually use that to not only deprive competing platforms of formerly multiplatform IPs but also to leverage their Game Pass service, on which they can eat losses by virtue of their massive corporate warchest that dwarfs their competitors combined.

But hey, what do I know? I only lived through the whole Microsoft using shady OEM contracts to force the adoption of Windows, and then the adoption of Windows to force the adoption of MSIE. MSIE was dead last in the browser space until, you know, Microsoft leveraged monopolistic practices.
People understand, that is why they always shift to some other topic.

As expected. Carry on
I said it’s gathering dust vs the PS5 and Switch. I think there’s a grammar error in my sentence there though. I didn’t mean to say I didn’t turn it on at all this year, but I meant to say that over the last year I didn’t turn it on much. Pardon me for English is not my first language. I didn’t lie, I just made a grammar error.

Thank you for pointing that out though. A shame that you immediately assume someone lies though.

Last edited:

MikeM

Only games I am looking forward to are Starfield and Forza. Redfall is a “try it and see” game. I don’t care for indies.

As expected. Carry on

Ozriel, I know that this is gonna sound harsh but...the constant bias/preference and damage control towards anything Xbox related on your part is getting really tiresome, I assume you're an adult, why keep defending a multi-billion company all the time and also getting getting angry/witty at others ?

It's always you, Riky and a couple of others that show up each and every time someone dares to say anything negative about your favourite plastic box.

Just try to chill friend, ain't no one paying you for doing so.

Cheers

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Ozriel, I know that this is gonna sound harsh but...the constant bias/preference and damage control towards anything Xbox related on your part is getting really tiresome, I assume you're an adult, why keep defending a multi-billion company all the time and also getting getting angry/witty at others ?

It's always you, Riky and a couple of others that show up each and every time someone dares to say anything negative about your favourite plastic box.

Cheers

He's probably tired of the constant negatively and trolling in every Xbox thread. You don't see it the other way around and it gets extremely tiresome. See any thread about Halo Infinite for example, people who are playing it can't even talk about the game.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
After reading this it seems like there's definitely a strategy behind this. Hope it pays off. I'm literally interested in all of these games. I probably would have bought Atomic Heart, Wo Long and Redfall if I didn't have Gamepass. Wo-Long demo was good. Nice twist on the Souls-like genre. Redfall looks way deeper than the Left for Dead clone I thought it was gonna be after seeing the showcase in January. I didn't like Atomic Heart at first, but as you get deeper into the game it starts to surprise you with its depth. I suck at baseball games but I've downloaded The Show the past 2 years and tried my hand at it.

More than pays for a year of gamepass and I haven't even mentioned Starfield. Though I'll probably purchase Starfield with the discount you get with Gamepass.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Huh? Atomic Heart is sitting at 88% positive on Steam with a 38k steam user peak which obviously doesn't include Game Pass numbers. I saw multiple people here saying Returnal and LaD:Ishin was a success (just to pick another recent releases) and Returnal had a 6.7k steam user peak and sitting at an 80% positive on Steam. LaD:Ishin had a peak of 8.4k and 86% positive on Steam. Not saying Atomic Heart is some masterpiece but why exactly is this game poorly received?
Damn, didn't know this. I bought Returnal as well on Steam. I love and am frustrated with this game at the same time.

Also great point made here. Can't argue with the facts. 80% positive on Steam is better than I expected. Though I would sorta fault Returnal's low numbers to it's age on one hand. But Horizon and GoW did great on the other hand....they were arguably older when they came out. Just better games I guess.

He's probably tired of the constant negatively and trolling in every Xbox thread. You don't see it the other way around and it gets extremely tiresome. See any thread about Halo Infinite for example, people who are playing it can't even talk about the game.

But Riky, it's not about being "negative" mate, it's about being realistic, you may like for example Forza Horizon and Halo infinite but...to say that the Xbox had a good 2 years since launch especially when it comes to exclusives, well, it's something that only the "hardcore" fans would agree with.
Shit mate, I just sold my XSX the other day 'cause I couldn't stand Microsoft's infinite PR machine and lack of games (exclusives) anymore, like I've mentioned before, there are many users like me that didn't spend 500 Eurodollars just to play the Nth 2D Metroidvania game on the world's "most powerful console" and we were happy to jump ship when the occasion presented itself ("other" console availability) - why can't you people wrap your heads around that ? Why do you keep suggesting that everyone else is a troll or a console warrior because of that ? You don't necessarily have to agree but I think that at the very least you should be able to respect that as an opinion.
Not everyone has the same taste when it comes to games and after 2 years of empty promises you should be able to understand why some people think like this and/or are being "negative".
I don't know what's happening in the Halo thread you mentioned but brother, infinite was one of the most disappointing, unfinished and empty husks of a AAA game that I had the misfortune of playing, truly and utterly mediocre stuff considering all that money spent and long delevopment time, you liked it ? more power to you but no matter what article you're gonna post about it it's not going to change people's mind and that's a fact, people either liked it or didn't - both sides have the right to express their opinion, am I wrong ? Same thing about the Xbox in general (or the PS5, or the Switch).

If you find those opinions grating, imagine what the others think when you, Aceshigh, Ozriel, Senjutsu Sage and others appear every time in these kind of threads as to do your usual damage control, and for what ? A multi billion company ? I'll never understand that...

Anyway, agree to disagree I suppose, also, please believe me when I say that I don't want to attack you personally, it's just that, again , what you may find obnoxious about others, other users might feel the same about you, this is why I say that we should chill about this kind of stupid things/plastic boxes.

Cheers

Last edited:
But Riky, it's not about being "negative" mate, it's about being realistic, you may like for example Forza Horizon and Halo infinite but...to say that the Xbox had a good 2 years since launch especially when it comes to exclusives, well, it's something that only the "hardcore" fans would agree with.
Shit mate, I just sold my XSX the other day 'cause I couldn't stand anymore Microsoft's infinite PR machine and lack of games (exclusives), like I've mentioned before, there are many users like me that didn't go and spend 500 Eurodollars just to play the nth 2D Metroidvania game on the world's "most powerful console" and we were happy to jump ship when the occasion presented itself ("other" console availability) - why can't you people wrap your heads around that ? Why do you keep suggesting that everyone else is a troll or a console warrior because of that ? You don't necessarily have to agree but I think that at the very least you should be able to respect that as an opinion.
Not everyone has the same taste when it comes to games and after 2 years of empty promises you should be able to understand why some people think like this or are being "negative".
I don't know what's happening in the Halo thread you mentioned but brother, infinite was one of the most disappointing, unfinished and empty husk of a AAA game that I had the misfortune of playing, truly and utterly mediocre stuff, you liked it ? more power to you but no matter what article you're gonna post about it is going to change people's mind and that's a fact, people either liked it or didn't - both sides have the right to express their opinion, am I wrong ? Same thing about the Xbox in general (or the PS5, or the Switch).

If you find those opinions grating, imagine what the others think when you, Aceshigh, Ozriel, Senjutsu Sage and others appear every time in these kind of threads as to do your usual damage control, and for what ? A multi billion company ? I'll never understand that...

Anyway, agree to disagree I suppose, also, please believe me when I say that I don't want to attack you personally, it's just that, again , what you may find obnoxious about others, other users might feel the same about you, this is why I say that we should chill about this kind of stupid things/plastic boxes.

Cheers
I dont think Riky Riky has ever said a negative or trolling thing about anyone or anything. Literally. Practically acts like a monk. I still have no idea how anyone finds them annoying. Just talks a about the games they like and technical aspects of games.

Last edited:
Game Pass takes me back to when I was poor and pirated all the games, gives me the feel that I'm scamming someone by playing all this shit almost for free. :goog_relieved:
This is how I see it. Plus with sharing it only costs half the price and with the deals, well, you get the games for practically nothing.

Riky

$MSFT
Shit mate, I just sold my XSX the other day 'cause I couldn't stand anymore Microsoft's infinite PR machine and lack of games (exclusives), like I've mentioned before, there are many users like me that didn't go and spend 500 Eurodollars just to play the nth 2D Metroidvania game on the world's "most powerful console" and we were happy to jump ship when the occasion presented itself ("other" console availability) - why can't you people wrap your heads around that ? Why do you keep suggesting that everyone else is a troll or a console warrior because of that ? You don't necessarily have to agree but I think that at the very least you should be able to respect that as an opinion.
Not everyone has the same taste when it comes to games and after 2 years of empty promises you should be able to understand why some people think like this or are being "negative".
I don't know what's happening in the Halo thread you mentioned but brother, infinite was one of the most disappointing, unfinished and empty husk of a AAA game that I had the misfortune of playing, truly and utterly mediocre stuff, you liked it ? more power to you but no matter what article you're gonna post about it is going to change people's mind and that's a fact, people either liked it or didn't - both sides have the right to express their opinion, am I wrong ? Same thing about the Xbox in general (or the PS5, or the Switch).

Cheers

It's not just me who likes Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Flight Simulator, Gears Tactics or Hi-Fi Rush to name a few, check out the Metacritic, they were universally praised. So the people out of step are not the people enjoying the games.
I've been playing Halo since the launch of the original Xbox, I think Infinite is the best since the original game and it's getting better with update, it's not perfect and it's taken time but it's getting there.

You just sold your console before Redfall, Starfield, Forza and Hellblade 2 drop, I'd say that is a poor decision if you've waited this long, but you do you, real next gen games take time to make.

This thread is an article about a great stretch of games.....yet you accuse me of "damage control" it's a positive Xbox thread and guess what here we are just as I pointed out. So yes I find it grating, and I agree people like different things, I'm not a massive fan of linear 3rd person action adventures, which is why I don't bother entering threads about them. Maybe I should and give my opinion over and over again.

I don't feel attacked, you explained your position, I respect that, it would be nice to be shown the same courtesy, that's all.

Last edited:

I dont think Riky Riky has ever said a negative or trolling thing about anyone or anything. Literally. Practically acts like a monk. I still have no idea how anyone finds them annoying.. Just talks a about the games they like and technical aspects of games.

Dear Miku, you're right, Riky is well mannered and usually chill - but this doesn't have to do with him/her , just like he/she said about the - generally speaking -"negative" sentiment regarding the Xbox, i could say the same exact thing about the opposite, I mean man, there is absolutely no way you can say something - not "negative" - but realistic about MS, just the other day, I was accused of being a troll by a warrior just 'cause a "dared" to say that I've been enjoying my new PS5 since I sold my XSX in a thread I created specifically about that to boot ffs.
Or, another dude which his name will not be mentioned, in the same thread, he posted in a passive-aggressive manner saying something like "PS makes these kind of cinematic games 'cause of their inferiority complex about movies" or some shit, I mean, you can't make this stuff up brother 😁, shit just writes by itself...

See where I'm trying to get at ? It's all so very tiresome friend, unfortunately, some people are going to keep thinking what they want and go to battle for their favorite plastic box either way, no matter the brand's logo on the plastic box.

Anyway, sorry guys for derailing the thread , my bad, continue as you were, cheerio

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Game Pass has been so amazing for my family, who often don't have as much of a sense of "what to play next" as I do. So they can just browse and try things and discover their next addiction, it's been really great.

simpatico

Gold Member
Game Pass is absolutely a killer app for me on PC. It lets me try games I otherwise wouldn't buy. Hell, Yakuza is now in the absolute top tier of gaming franchises for me thanks to Game Pass. Downloaded Pillars of Eternity last night, look forward to trying it. Haven't played a CRPG since Dragon Age Origins. I use to skip some of the slower months and resub for big releases, but now the stream of games is so good that I'm locked in year round.

Topher

Gold Member

Yes, you do see it the other way around. Hell, you've got folks trolling other platforms in Xbox threads. Like this.

But but but.. I thought we have to pay 70 dollars for a game to be good... 😂

So complain about trolls all you want, but pretending that Xbox is the only platform that has trolls is completely wrong. And this is exactly why Xbox fans are chided for their persecution complex.

OuterLimits

You have a point here. PS+ threads are mainly people talking about the games being put on the service, while every Gamepass topic is littered with console warrior BS. (btw, last Xbox console I owned was 360)

Really the only massive difference between Sony and Microsoft subscription services is MS often puts first party games Day 1 while Sony waits roughly a year or two. Both services offer a ton of quality games and are especially great for those on a tighter budget.

Riky

$MSFT
You have a point here. PS+ threads are mainly people talking about the games being put on the service, while every Gamepass topic is littered with console warrior BS. (btw, last Xbox console I owned was 360)

Really the only massive difference between Sony and Microsoft subscription services is MS often puts first party games Day 1 while Sony waits roughly a year or two. Both services offer a ton of quality games and are especially great for those on a tighter budget.

Exactly, I've got PS Plus Premium as well.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's not just me who likes Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Flight Simulator, Gears Tactics or Hi-Fi Rush to name a few, check out the Metacritic, they were universally praised. So the people out of step are not the people enjoying the games.
I've been playing Halo since the launch of the original Xbox, I think Infinite is the best since the original game and it's getting better with update, it's not perfect and it's taken time but it's getting there.

You just sold your console before Redfall, Starfield, Forza and Hellblade 2 drop, I'd say that is a poor decision if you've waited this long, but you do you, real next gen games take time to make.

This thread is an article about a great stretch of games.....yet you accuse me of "damage control" it's a positive Xbox thread and guess what here we are just as I pointed out. So yes I find it grating, and I agree people like different things, I'm not a massive fan of linear 3rd person action adventures, which is why I don't bother entering threads about them. Maybe I should and give my opinion over and over again.

I don't feel attacked, you explained your position, I respect that, it would be nice to be shown the same courtesy, that's all.
There was an article about how Xbox quietly dominated 2022. Obviously, the article revolves around the Gamepass successes as opposed to the traditional measures of success in the industry.

I kinda agree with the article, though I won't dismiss the missteps. Halo Infinite's lack of support was a big problem along with the narrative that maybe Halo's gameplay is outdated in the FPS genre. However, as you mentioned it seems they are fixing it.

Still, what Xbox had on offer from Gamepass was still good, borderline great. Be it Plague's Tale Requiem or Death Stranding as well as the aforementioned games. I got a lot of mileage out of the service from the day one releases as well as the games that came after their initial release.

Ozriel

M$FT

Cheers

It will never stop being funny to hear it being described as ‘damage control’ when I tackle console warriors.

It’s perfectly valid to criticize multi billion dollar corporations when they go wrong. But the vast majority of what I call out or correct flat out misinformation and overt childish warring. Feel free to point out anything that doesn’t conform to that.

Good thing that none of you will ever be able to accuse me of popping up in PlayStation threads to shit-post, downplay or make up false narratives.
Cheers anyway.

PS: You’ll have to specify which ‘plastic box’ you’re referring to since I own everything.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

For sure. It’s tiresome and it blocks constructive discourse.

There was an article about how Xbox quietly dominated 2022. Obviously, the article revolves around the Gamepass successes as opposed to the traditional measures of success in the industry.

I kinda agree with the article, though I won't dismiss the missteps. Halo Infinite's lack of support was a big problem along with the narrative that maybe Halo's gameplay is outdated in the FPS genre. However, as you mentioned it seems they are fixing it.

Still, what Xbox had on offer from Gamepass was still good, borderline great. Be it Plague's Tale Requiem or Death Stranding as well as the aforementioned games. I got a lot of mileage out of the service from the day one releases as well as the games that came after their initial release.

Yeah, they certainly did screw up 2022 when it came to big first party games. Not the least of which was the slow drip of content for Halo Infinite.

They’ll need to make up for it with more content in 2023. I’d be disappointed if Starfield slips to H2, or if there’s no unannounced AAA title for H2 2023.

I’m personally happy with the content on offer from both subscription services (GP and PS+ Extra). Easily worth the money I paid for both.

You must have missed the psvr2 threads being completely trolled over as well. Unfortunately there’s too much trolling from both sides, almost so much that it’s just not a fun forum anymore. Still 100x better than some other site though.

Top Bottom