• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Next Gen Console Watch: Where Are All the Ray-Traced Games?

Fbh

People overhyped it, and took comments about these console "supporting" and being "compatible" with the tech as "It will be in every game and it will work great".

Banned
Time stamped:

yeah, I would turn off the video right there lol, they clearly don't know what they are talking about. because they had to come up with that list on their own as Sony never said anything about RT in relation to Astro's Playroom.
I would understand if they had an outdated list where maybe Demon's Souls was on because Sony wrongly announced it has RT lighting, but Astro? they would have to come up with that on their own,
and I bet I know how, I bet that clip they had in the video was not random, because the glass dome in that scene has render to texture reflections, which someone who doesn't know how to distinguish the two would mistake for RT reflections.

so yeah, they are not qualified to talk about this if they can't even tell the difference between RT and Render to Texture reflections.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
4k/60 looks like it could be the new standard, and ray tracing the new 60fps that’s a generation away

I don't think so. So many new games default to 4k 30FPS (Diablo, Forza Horizon 5, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy...). I think this will be the standard as graphics sell and publishers want their games to look the absolute best.

I really hope that 4k with lower graphical pre-set or 1440p / 1080p 60FPS modes are here to stay!

Banned
I don't think so. So many new games default to 4k 30FPS (Diablo, Forza Horizon 5, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy...). I think this will be the standard as graphics sell and publishers want their games to look the absolute best.

I really hope that 4k with lower graphical pre-set or 1440p / 1080p 60FPS modes are here to stay!

Forza is a bad example here because the 60fps mode also runs at 4K but with lower settings

Hunnybun

Even if graphics do sell, denominating that in terms of 4k resolution would have to be the dumbest marketing move ever. Almost all games are marketed exclusively on Youtube and Twitter, and 4k is basically impossible to communicate on those platforms.

They'd be much better off making games in 1080p30, or even 1080p60, both of which are displayed reasonably well on Youtube etc.

recursive

Aren't these the same guys that couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p? For some reason I think you could tell them all games have ray tracing and they would not know the difference..

Bragr

Banned
Ray-tracing does a lot more for retro games than new games. The games where ray-tracing had the biggest impact are Quake II and Minecraft.

intbal

Agree with several of the posts in this thread. Developers have gotten really good at using enhancements of traditional techniques to make lighting that looks fantastic without compromising performance or resolution. Hangar 13's ray-traced cubemaps work even on the base machines from last gen. The game hasn't gotten any updates for PS5/XSX yet, but it could surely run at 4k/60 on those consoles.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
but Forza doesn't default to 4K30 either I'm pretty sure...

It does according to previews. DF was talking about it in their video. And you need to restart the game to switch to 60FPS performance mode.

Which makes sense because as I said in my previous post: publishers / devs want their game to look the absolute best.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know RT is the future. I had 2070 and have 3080. I was early RT adopter.
But seeing Demons Souls and hearing that it is NOT using any rt ?! I would've not guessed

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I know RT is the future. I had 2070 and have 3080. I was early RT adopter.
But seeing Demons Souls and hearing that it is NOT using any rt ?! I would've not guessed

Baked lighting can look amazing without RT. Look at game like Assassin's Creed Unity with baked lighting and compare it to dynamic lighting of the sequel (Syndicate). Syndicate looks one generation behind.

TheMan

RT is kind of a gimmick most of the time. Yet another current day feature that makes little difference with gameplay, and mostly can't even be discerned without comparing screenshots. Gimme 60 fps first

martino

RT will be fine on but not on those consoles.
And there is no need for them to have it there or to wait for them elsewhere.
It will growth on pc (there is near 50 games with it , next batch of games can use common api and all gpu to come will have support of wil continue to improve it)

SZips

The fact that real-time ray tracing exists at all is just mind blowing, regardless of how many or how few games support it right now. It's especially nuts to think that gaming consoles have the ability to do it at all.

It wasn't that long ago that ray tracing was such an intensive process that it'd take potentially hours just to render a single frame or image that utilized ray tracing. If you wanted to render out a super basic animation with ray tracing, physics, and caustics, it could take potentially days (I did this very thing on school computers back in high school). Now it's being done in real-time at up to 60fps (or more on PC). It's just... wild.

That said, not every game needs ray tracing. A lot of "fake" lighting still looks absolutely fantastic and if it means the difference between 30fps and 60fps, well the framerate will win out every time. RT will definitely become far more commonplace in the next console generation years from now as the technology makes leaps and bounds over the current hardware, and the ability to render real-time ray tracing becomes far easier to process.

Skifi28

Seeing how bad RT performs on the PC navi cards that are twice as powerful as consoles, it's a miracle we have it at all. Let alone with certain games doing 60fps. Fucking IGN.

Where Are All the Ray-Traced Games? How about where are all the games? Kind of hard to knock ray tracing when we've had only handful of next gen games if that. Ray tracing is something that I believe will improve as we get deeper into this gen. Takes time for developers to see what works and what doesn't work. Ratchet and Clank looks amazing. Kind of hard to knock ray tracing once you've seen that game.

Lethal01

Ray tracing is your concern? Nothing about innovation, broken games on release, new ideas, stories, etc. How about can we get an actual urinalist who can honestly give real account of the industry. O wait there is one:

This guy sounds like a manchild "I was insulted as a gamur". I'm getting my fill of great games when it comes to gameplay and story so the thing we really need to worry about is whether the graphics will improve.

Lethal01

Hopefully people can move on from ray tracing.
It's not worth the performance hit it usually brings.

There really no moving on from ray tracing, when it comes to lighting and graphics in general it's the final frontier. All you can do is accept that your box can't handle it yet.

Javthusiast

Banned
I don’t want RT on the consoles. Performance tanks because of it.
Best Friends Reaction GIF by Rocky

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I keep telling you .. until Nintendo comes along and shows everyone real gameplay uses for RT it is always going to be a garnish, that extra bit to make mediocre games seem to have more value. I mean I cant think of anything that cant be faked to achieve the samethings but I am not Nintendo. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
There really no moving on from ray tracing, when it comes to lighting and graphics in general it's the final frontier. All you can do is accept that your box can't handle it yet.
Ray tracing isn't even a new frontier let alone the final frontier. I had a 386-based machine drawing ray traced VGA graphics back in the early 90's.

Lethal01

Ray tracing isn't even a new frontier let alone the final frontier. I had a 386-based machine drawing ray traced VGA graphics back in the early 90's.

I never said it was new, it's been around for ages, but actually managing to do it in real time and actually have realistic lighting is indeed the final frontier.

Last edited:
It looks different, but again in parts worse with RT as some of the handcrafted atmosphere is diminished. These differences wouldn’t even be apparent without direct side by side comparisons. That’s my opinion anyway.
No, look at digital foundry's video.

Not really "where are all the ray-traced games", more like "where are all the actual next-gen looking games?".

We've got R&C and that's been about it really. Spiderman Miles Morales and Dark Souls at a push, but even those don't feel like "wooooah next-gen" to me. Honestly, if you look at Half Life Alyx's visuals (even on a relatively shit PC) they are way beyond a lot of console games and you don't even need ray tracing for it.

Maybe they shouldn't piss around with ray tracing, shouldn't try to go for native 4K, and just make games with fuuuuuuuuuucking delicious 1080p visuals that can be upscaled to 1440p, which looks absolutely fine (and not that much worse than 4K anyway) on a 4K display. I say that because I remember hooking my PC up to my 4K TV and playing Squad at 1440p and 4K. It hardly looks any different, especially in motion. If you want to be all anal Digital Foundry about it sure it's obviously better in 4K, but really who gives a shit.

rant over GIF
Flight sim, Ratchet, TLOU II (LOL but true) and I think miles morales was mind blowing on PS5 in some scenes...

I personally was hoping for more innovation/advancement with regard to things like animation, physics, and collision detection. I've a 3090 and a 2080 Super before it and been playing games with raytracing on PC and it's cool. I like it, but I'd rather them invest the energy in improving the things I mentioned before. For example I'd rather more be put towards vehicle destruction/thicker traffic on roads/better ai for npc's and such in the next big open world game like a gta rather than shiny roads/reflective surfaces/and so on.

I personally was hoping for more innovation/advancement with regard to things like animation, physics, and collision detection. I've a 3090 and a 2080 Super before it and been playing games with raytracing on PC and it's cool. I like it, but I'd rather them invest the energy in improving the things I mentioned before. For example I'd rather more be put towards vehicle destruction/thicker traffic on roads/better ai for npc's and such in the next big open world game like a gta rather than shiny roads/reflective surfaces/and so on.
We are early in the generation still. Cross gen games still...

Considering the considerable performance impact associated with RT and the fact that AMD RDNA2 is not nearly as performant as some Nvidia cards, I am frankly amazed we've seen this many RT releases on console to date. Once we finally get out of the cross gen phase, we're likely to see even more.

This is really all that needs to be said on the subject at this time.

ZehDon

I don’t want RT on the consoles. Performance tanks because of it.
Not quite. Games have been using ray tracing for years - but not for rendering, because that was unthinkably computationally expensive without dedicated hardware. We're seeing it used for rendering now because the specifically designed hardware is actually extremely fast in comparison to yesteryear's software implementation. Performance tanks when its used for real time rendering because it's still extremely heavy. However, using the hardware to power ray casting applications - hit detection, collision detection, audio bounces, AI path finding, LOS checks - will actually improve performance quite a bit, and allow for more complex scenarios because they're no long limited by the number of ray casts tot he same degree. However, baking that kind of hardware requirement into your fundamental game logic means it can't run on non-RT hardware. So, we won't see those applications until the next-gen exclusives start dropping.

Last edited:
The ray tracing sucks because it's so expensive to implement. We only get little glimpses of what it can do on consoles, and even then it's usually a low resolution reflection that just ends up looking strange.

Glad it's being worked on, though. Ray tracing is amazing tech.

Kenpachii

This is phenomenal news. So a better version of SLI?
This would have a huge impact on VR too then, and we think this will be available as soon as PS5 pro?
Id defo upgrade for that and PSVR2.

Yea basically, its 2 chips on a single card with another 1 chip ( so 3 ) that basically automatically spreads tasks to the 2 other chips with the PC only seeing 1 core. that's why u see 120x2 = 240 in that spreadsheet from amd leak. So instead of making a 100% faster gpu like they did last generation, they push 50% forwards, and slam 2 cores on one card which gives them a ton more to play with.

They basically fixed the main problem with 2 gpu's on one card. and if it works out well enough as we still have to see how it performs, we could see multi core solutions going forwards even further much like cpu's but done better as even budget cards will profit out of it.

It's going to be interesting to see how it actually performs and what nvidia is going to do to counter it. If nvidia isn't going to skip lovelace and straight move to hopper or make a same solution for there next gpu's. it could mean that mcm has limitations. But we will only know that when it gets released and tested.

So lots of interesting new things next year. mcm from amd is going to be a glimps into the future of gpu's.

Last edited:
i think if MS and Sony implement Zen 5 + RDNA 4 on PS5Pro and XsXPro, they will finally nail everything without making any compromises on anything:
-HDR10+ / Dolby Vision
-Full Ray Tracing without any performance Hits
-Advanced Machine Learning/Neural Engine for Fidelity FX 2.0 (or whatever version)
-Native 4K 120fps+

intbal

i think if MS and Sony implement Zen 5 + RDNA 4 on PS5Pro and XsXPro, they will finally nail everything without making any compromises on anything:
-HDR10+ / Dolby Vision
-Full Ray Tracing without any performance Hits
-Advanced Machine Learning/Neural Engine for Fidelity FX 2.0 (or whatever version)
-Native 4K 120fps+

That's XsXeX. Xbox Series X: Edition X

Haven't you been paying attention to Microsoft console naming schemes?

Yoda

• Anything which is cross gen can only use RT as a supplement, not a core environmental detail.
  • a 3090 (x5 times the price of PS5/XBSX) takes a massive performance hit using RT (it has dedicated hardware for RT as well). Assuming PS5/XBSX < 3090 - nvidia driver tax then logically we already know what the cap is.
  • game devs are generally behind the times WRT tech stacks compared to regular tech companies, so it'll take a long time before it becomes more ubiqitous across the industry.
^ few random points. I think next gen, assuming we even get a clear dividing line next time, will be when RT goes mainstream.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There have been more than I expected. I'm especially shocked that there are even some (Sony 1st party) games that run at 60fps with RT.

Top Bottom