• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGNxgame: Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection PC vs. PS5 Performance Review

yamaci17

Thank you! I definitely am planning on taking a look at all those games you mentioned and more. Can't wait to test out The Last of Us in particular when it comes out.

You're welcome! What do you think? A 3700X+3070 PC is falling short in 120fps mode, 4K mode compared to PS5. Does this indicate poor CPU+GPU optimization by Iron Galaxy?
i expect something weird like ps5 outperforming a 3080 comfortably in last of us 1 remake pc port cf

Mr Moose

The secret sauce is man-hours and will to work hard. Lots of game studios and developers are slackers when it comes to PC ports, jist relying on overpowered hardware. Now they have found another excuse: "just turn FSR or DLSS on"

As long as the game does not set your PC on fire everything's good.

I will have to retool my spending habits and never spend more than 5 bucks for these kind of hack jobs.

It's not that we are asking for PS4 performance and visuals on a 750ti but it has to be reasonable.

Look at ID with Doom. Amazing performance and visuals across PC and several different consoles. All versions catering to their respective platform strenghts . Or the coalition/playground/Turn 10
Look how amazing FH3 and Gears 5 run on a weak Xbox one and how well they also run on budget PCs. Ridiculous scalability.
That's how a PC port should be made. I don't mind bugs at release, those can be ironed out down the line. But such low performance is inexcusable.
Do you know the difference between those games you mentioned? They were all PC games day one.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Do you know the difference between those games you mentioned? They were all PC games day one.

Was days gone a PC game day one? That game runs great on PC. I Know I know UE4 game... yet lots of UE4 games run like crap.

Were doom and doom eternal switch games day one? The Witcher 3? Was Mario kart 8 a switch game day one?

Porting PC only gsmes to console or console only games to PC is not something unheard of. Yet folks manage to get great performance from each target platform most of the time.

They have to step up their game. Take more time to work on these ports instead of pumping them out left and right without any care.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Those games were made for PC day one, they weren't exclusive games ported over after. And it's not like this game runs like dog shit, it's just not as high as people would like.
Don't think Forza was made on PC day 1 and ported to consoles.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Was days gone a PC game day one? That game runs great on PC. I Know I know UE4 game... yet lots of UE4 games run like crap.

Were doom and doom eternal switch games day one? The Witcher 3? Was Mario kart 8 a switch game day one?

Porting PC only gsmes to console or console only games to PC is not something unheard of. Yet folks manage to get great performance from each target platform most of the time.

They have to step up their game. Take more time to work on these ports instead of pumping them out left and right without any care.
UE4 like you said and the game never got a dedicated PS5 update so we havent been able to do a 1:1 comparison. It runs well on a gtx 1060 but it also doesnt look as good as Uncharted. Its a beautiful game but falls short of other PS4 exclusives that use inhouse engines.

And come on. Witcher 3 on switch looks like dog shit. It's NOT an acceptable port. DF also calls these awful switch ports miracle ports and im like are they blind?

That said, I agree that they should be spending more time on these games. Still, Nixxes is probably the best studio in the business, took a whole year to port, and they developed a feature rich port with ray tracing and even DLSS3.0 support so its not like they arent putting in the effort. I just dont think expecting them to do engine rewrites for ports is all that fair. GOW guys had 2 years and they deemed it too intensive to make a change like that.

SlimySnake

The secret sauce is man-hours and will to work hard. Lots of game studios and developers are slackers when it comes to PC ports, jist relying on overpowered hardware. Now they have found another excuse: "just turn FSR or DLSS on"

As long as the game does not set your PC on fire everything's good.

I will have to retool my spending habits and never spend more than 5 bucks for these kind of hack jobs.

It's not that we are asking for PS4 performance and visuals on a 750ti but it has to be reasonable.

Look at ID with Doom. Amazing performance and visuals across PC and several different consoles. All versions catering to their respective platform strenghts . Or the coalition/playground/Turn 10
Look how amazing FH3 and Gears 5 run on a weak Xbox one and how well they also run on budget PCs. Ridiculous scalability.
That's how a PC port should be made. I don't mind bugs at release, those can be ironed out down the line. But such low performance is inexcusable.
Yeah, I would not pay full price for this port either. I had a similar experience with Horizon earlier this year on PC. I bought it after someone posted an amazing RTGI video, and while the game looked really good on PC, I was really pissed by how poorly it scaled after 60 fps. I couldnt get the RTGI to work so figured id play it on 120 fps but while the game run fine at 4k 60 fps maxed out, it just wouldnt hit 120 fps even if i dropped the resolution to 1080p and settings to PS4 quality preset. You can probably find my posts on here bitching about it because i had already played it at 60 fps on my PS5 so all of a sudden the PC purchase felt like a waste without 120 fps.

Now on my 3080 I can of course brute force it, but at the time i was pretty pissed about it because other third party games ran fine at 1440p 120 fps. So trust me when I say I am sympathetic.

That said, i look at something like Doom and im like meh. The game doesnt look as good as Sonys first party titles. I know it has to run at 60 fps on base consoles, but i highly doubt it is being coded to the metal like say TLOU or Uncharted 4. If anything, the PS4 is being held back by the base xbox one specs.

The performance on the PS5 is fine, but the performance on PC is inexcusable. This is what annoys me with the PC environment; many developers just bank on powerful hardware bruteforcing through shitty performance. As is said, necessity is the mother of all inventions, and console development is a prime example of that.

I remember back in the days of the SNES where they took advantage of things like Mode 7 to fake 3D graphics. The stuff developers did to achieve their goals within the constraints of the hardware at the time was nothing short of brilliant.

For Uncharted 4, Iron Galaxy just looked at the most common GPU which is the 1060 and just aimed for that. Except that the 1060 is 2x the power of the PS4 so it shouldn't run similarly. That Naughty Dog did a better job at optimizing I can agree, but when the PS5 is matching a GPU that is theoretically 50% faster, the dev did a shit job at porting.
In pure rastrization the ps5 is underrated it’s in rt where ir sucks

ok, thats pretty bad. I think GOW and HZD are roughly on par since they both have PS5 setting presets and average in the mid 50s at 1080p on a 1060. So U4 being worse is a bit concerning.

GOW and HZD oddly didnt favor AMD cards IIRC. Uncharted does. I wonder if this is a driver issue.
Gow and hzd don’t have native ps5 versions

Yeah, I would not pay full price for this port either. I had a similar experience with Horizon earlier this year on PC. I bought it after someone posted an amazing RTGI video, and while the game looked really good on PC, I was really pissed by how poorly it scaled after 60 fps. I couldnt get the RTGI to work so figured id play it on 120 fps but while the game run fine at 4k 60 fps maxed out, it just wouldnt hit 120 fps even if i dropped the resolution to 1080p and settings to PS4 quality preset. You can probably find my posts on here bitching about it because i had already played it at 60 fps on my PS5 so all of a sudden the PC purchase felt like a waste without 120 fps.

Now on my 3080 I can of course brute force it, but at the time i was pretty pissed about it because other third party games ran fine at 1440p 120 fps. So trust me when I say I am sympathetic.

That said, i look at something like Doom and im like meh. The game doesnt look as good as Sonys first party titles. I know it has to run at 60 fps on base consoles, but i highly doubt it is being coded to the metal like say TLOU or Uncharted 4. If anything, the PS4 is being held back by the base xbox one specs.
If they ever gave hzd a native ps5 versión unlocked framerates in vrr would be awesome

winjer

Gold Member
Alex brings this up again in the Gotham Knights video. This time he says 6.5 cores so 6 cores and 13 threads?

This guy has some serious lack in knowledge about cores and threads. Better to disregard what he says in this matter.
Cores and threads are never measured like he does. In 20 years of tech analysis, I have never seen anyone doing the non-sense he is doing.
It's always a count of cores and a count of threads.

SlimySnake

This guy has some serious lack in knowledge about cores and threads. Better to disregard what he says in this matter.
Cores and threads are never measured like he does. In 20 years of tech analysis, I have never seen anyone doing the non-sense he is doing.
sncvsrtoip sncvsrtoip can you ask him on B3D where he got this from? IIRC, he said 6 cores in a DF direct a few months ago. Now its 6.5 cores.

winjer

Gold Member
sncvsrtoip sncvsrtoip can you ask him on B3D where he got this from? IIRC, he said 6 cores in a DF direct a few months ago. Now its 6.5 cores.

Look at how Intel and AMD list their CPUs.
Always the number of cores and the number of threads.
Never that non-sense about 6.5 cores. And the reason is simple, HT/SMT is not equal to half a core.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Maybe he just means 6 cores available + 1 thread of another core? 6.5 cores?

Hoddi

Maybe he just means 6 cores available + 1 thread of another core? 6.5 cores?
CPU time slicing is a thing. 6.5 cores just means that games are allowed to schedule half the CPU time of the 7th core by the OS.

HT/SMT is separate from that and doesn't really apply in this context. It's a software thing more than hardware.

Md Ray

Look at how Intel and AMD list their CPUs.
Always the number of cores and the number of threads.
Never that non-sense about 6.5 cores. And the reason is simple, HT/SMT is not equal to half a core.

[/URL]

[/URL]
I don't know, man... Here's Sony mentioning "6.5 cores" in this leaked document for PS4/Pro back in 2016. He probably got that from here.

FgIDlorWQAMqIF8

RagnarokIV

Will be replaying this in a few days...

Shall I play the PS5 or PC version? What are the pros and cons for both?

My spec for reference is RTX 4070, 13600k, 32GB - both are going to an Asus ROG 4k OLED.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Will be replaying this in a few days...

Shall I play the PS5 or PC version? What are the pros and cons for both?

My spec for reference is RTX 4070, 13600k, 32GB - both are going to an Asus ROG 4k OLED.
Both are great. I think PS5 gets DualSense support though if that's your thing. Your PC will run the game at higher frame rates and resolution.

RagnarokIV

Both are great. I think PS5 gets DualSense support though if that's your thing. Your PC will run the game at higher frame rates and resolution.
Dual sense is a seller for sure.
From the digital foundry video I understand that (at the time of the video) PC at high/ultra is essentially just PS5 parity.
Do you know how the 60fps and 120fps modes hold up with the last patches?

Keep in mind zero dawn isn’t a native ps5 version So it’s not using the full power of the console

Top Bottom