• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] Forza Horizon 5: Performance Preview

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
well no that is screenspace, so of course in that cam everything reflects

Yeah, I see it now. Like you said it might be that they included the plane in the reflection because it’s a showcase event and it’s a massive object that would stand out if not reflected.

The real test will be to see if other cars that are behind our car are reflected in the rear window. I’m on my phone but I guess it can be checked by watching a footage of a car like Ford Bronco.

Banned
Yeah, I see it now. Like you said it might be that they included the plane in the reflection because it’s a showcase event and it’s a massive object that would stand out if not reflected.

The real test will be to see if other cars that are behind our car are reflected in the rear window. I’m on my phone but I guess it can be checked by watching a footage of a car like Ford Bronco.

in Horizon 4 it could happen that you would see some cars reflected on cars with big rear windows.
I think for cars like that they used render to texture to display what is reflected in those big rear windows, basically like the mirrors in cockpit view BUT waaaay lower quality.
and the quality of that was HIGHLY dynamic, so it would almost never happen, only when the GPU resources were freed up enough to allow for the dynamic settings to go up. I saw it l maybe once or twice in the hundreds of hours I played Horizon 4.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Demon’s Souls has god tier textures
qgwYTrc.jpg

Where are the god tier textures?
That normal doesnt look any better than most, and the parralax actually looks pretty bad....everything else doesnt really make me think god tier.

Riky

$MSFT
So even the performance mode is 4k apart from the intro sections? So everything playable is 4k 60, that's incredibly impressive. I think I'll be sticking to performance mode from the start, going to be interesting how the One X version comes out, I presume it will be a 30fps cap on last gen.

Chukhopops

Incredible how they managed to keep 4K 60fps in performance mode most of the time, I expected a bigger resolution hit.

Now all is said and all we can do is wait until November 5th…

Andodalf

Banned
Incredible how they managed to keep 4K 60fps in performance mode most of the time, I expected a bigger resolution hit.

Forza Tech has the best scaling in the business with no debate, and that was before it even had dynamic resolution as an option. Engine is sooooo good

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

they turned down A LOT of visual effects. LOD, motion blur, reflections, foliage. DF said it looks filmic in Quality mode and gamey in Performance mode due to those changes.

If I had to guess, it's basically medium vs ultra settings on PC.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Good analysis, I think his videos would be better if he did not use multiple long words in a long sentences, its like he thinks it makes him sound smarter, but it doesn't it just makes it less digestable.
Also if he slowed down his speech.

Hes getting better though 👍

Very disappointing they didn't include a 1440p/60 mode to retain the ultra settings of the 4k/30 mode. We have to choose now between a really good framerate with good but not amazing visuals or amazing filmic looking game at 30. Hasn't Ratchet and Spiderman tought other developers anything?

DF was doing their usual talking around this discrepancy while only pointing out the good things about each mode. I think its clear console gamers are 'ready 'for more options in our games today. I'm sure people are going to tell me how wrong I am because nobody wants to think they're missing out with a hot new game like this and because Playground games has done a good job on the modes offered I'm just pointing out that it sucks to not get a best of both worlds kind of mode, 1440p/60 woulda done that.

99% of people on Neogaf are not going to use the 4k/30 mode as 60 will handle a lot better so in a way there's only 1 real option. I know DF raved about how "smooth it is at 30" and how long their shutter speeds are but they also admitted it was jarring when switching from 60 to 30.

93xfan

Banned
Very disappointing they didn't include a 1440p/60 mode to retain the ultra settings of the 4k/30 mode. We have to choose now between a really good framerate with good but not amazing visuals or amazing filmic looking game at 30. Hasn't Ratchet and Spiderman tought other developers anything?

DF was doing their usual talking around this discrepancy while only pointing out the good things about each mode. I think its clear console gamers are 'ready 'for more options in our games today. I'm sure people are going to tell me how wrong I am because nobody wants to think they're missing out with a hot new game like this and because Playground games has done a good job on the modes offered I'm just pointing out that it sucks to not get a best of both worlds kind of mode, 1440p/60 woulda done that.

99% of people on Neogaf are not going to use the 4k/30 mode as 60 will handle a lot better so in a way there's only 1 real option. I know DF raved about how "smooth it is at 30" and how long their shutter speeds are but they also admitted it was jarring when switching from 60 to 30.

I’m hoping to do a post launch patch for 1440p 60FPS. No reason not to

Chukhopops

they turned down A LOT of visual effects. LOD, motion blur, reflections, foliage. DF said it looks filmic in Quality mode and gamey in Performance mode due to those changes.

If I had to guess, it's basically medium vs ultra settings on PC.
You can’t target double the frame rate without compromises but I prefer a higher resolution with fewer effects than the other way around, and I don’t think it will be noticeable once you play.

Maybe they will add a mode for that later but I’m really impressed with the way they did it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
this Will be the first exclusive that was normally 30fps, delivering a 60fps 4k mode right? Series X is a beast tbh….and playground are wizards.

Corndog

Banned
It's a weird question as different games prioritise different things. In terms of an open world environment death strandings world looks very realistic, in terms of animation RDR2, Crysis 3 on PC can look better than this in a forest environment. I already said it looks great, relax, why is it certain people on this forum will jump at every little thing? Maybe get some fresh air?
I think you need new glasses.

cragarmi

I think you need new glasses.
And I think you need to broaden your horizons (no pun intended) Death Stranding can look photo realistic at times, Forza is heavily stylised, I was asked about games I felt looked realistic. They both look great, many games look great, and all have their own styles and compromises. Forza Horizon 5 is not the second coming!
life of brian GIF

LMJ

Man, I'm not a racing fan at all (sim or arcade)

But that sandstorm footage might have converted me lol

Could this gem be the first game I get for my future X? (X Pro by the time I can finally get one lol)

You would think this game would be a great candidate to have a third quality setting utilising FSR. That should allow quality mode level visuals at 60fps (Ultra Quality FSR runs with an internal resolution of 2954 x 1662 that is reconstructed to 4K). It would be interesting to see how it would stack up visually against the existing quality pre-sets.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
And I think you need to broaden your horizons (no pun intended) Death Stranding can look photo realistic at times, Forza is heavily stylised, I was asked about games I felt looked realistic. They both look great, many games look great, and all have their own styles and compromises. Forza Horizon 5 is not the second coming!
life of brian GIF
Forza is just fantasy driving game. everything in the game is oversaturated, over bloomed, over blurred. does it looks nice? no one can denied that, but it is not very realistic.
second, of course it is not second coming. it is decent upgrade from Forza H4, but that is about it. no need to exaggerate pass that point.

retsof624

This makes me wonder how Playgrounds take on Fable will look. Imagine these graphics with a more imaginative and less photorealistic aesthetic. It’s probably gonna look so damn cool.
I was just about to say something like this. I’m so excited to see gameplay for Fable

Bodomism

Banned
Forza is just fantasy driving game. everything in the game is oversaturated, over bloomed, over blurred. does it looks nice? no one can denied that, but it is not very realistic.
second, of course it is not second coming. it is decent upgrade from Forza H4, but that is about it. no need to exaggerate pass that point.
Just show me one game looking more realistic than FH5 when it comes to the environments.

cragarmi

Someone in this thread already literally quoted what was said. It seems to drop to 1620p during cutscenes, due to heavy use of post processing effects. Gameplay seems to be native 4K.
Most of the time, is not all of the time, so it's not native, it's not just during cut scenes, but whatever. I shall do what I do with kids when they are arguing. Yes your right! It's native all of the time! At maximum quality all of the time! Your obviously much better than me! Way to go kid! High Five!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This makes me wonder how Playgrounds take on Fable will look. Imagine these graphics with a more imaginative and less photorealistic aesthetic. It’s probably gonna look so damn cool.
Plus they will be able to fully utilise the velocity architecture, ssd, mesh shaders, VRS 2, modern gpus and cpus in general.

I suppose there engine will need to be somewhat standardized because they wil have to make there game work on Nvidia gpus and intel cpus.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Fucking hell graphically it looks insane considering you'll be blazing past all that detail at 200mph, they need to patch in some exploration goodies or somit cause that scenery and asset density would be a crying shame to waste, between this and Flight SIM Xbox be pumping out some absolute visual masterpieces.

Riky

$MSFT
This looking leaps and bounds ahead of anything else on a last gen engine is pretty remarkable, I haven't even seen any mention of Tier 2 VRS so there is a huge amount of performance left on the table.
Turn 10 will use all of it on a closed circuit racer so I'm expecting a huge leap even over this.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
God damn PLayground wizards are at it again. Near 4k/60 at all times.
On Series X? There’s no summary but I remember from the DF video it was 1080p/60 in performance mode on the X or close to 4k/30FPS I’m quality. So are these different findings?

Last edited:
Top Bottom