• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] Forza Horizon 5: Performance Preview

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

From Michael Thompson:

Forza Horizon 5 is about to release on Xbox Series X, Series S, Xbox One X, Xbox One, and PC. The game has always been a gorgeous and flamboyant title. Landing Day 1 on Gamepass will also be a huge hit on the service this Christmas with a packed car list. With access to an early press build and a Series X, we decided to stick the game into 6th and take it for a spin, let's ride!

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Usually above 1620p for performance as NXG states, but impressive all the same. Solid 60 lock is worth the IQ loss.
Oh, I meant in quality mode. I wrote it badly, sorry. Not much games today, even at 30FPS operates without DRS.

Also it's absolutely worth the IQ loss. I qould almost call it IQ gain, when you can have it at 60FPS : )

Last edited:

cragarmi

It's more like "almost all the time" 4K with very rare dips below, with the lowest seen being 1620p. Saying "usually above 1620p" kinda misconstrues it even if that is an accurate statement.
If it's an accurate statement how can it be misconstrued? It's not 4k it's dynamic, which is expected on a performance mode. Anyway it's still solid 60 which is what matters.

cragarmi

If it's an accurate statement how can it be misconstrued? It's not 4k it's dynamic, which is expected on a performance mode. Anyway it's still solid 60 which is what matters.
Also it turns out the resolution can be counted, who knew? 😂

Bodomism

Banned
Demon Souls does not use raytracing, it was considered, but not used in the end. Also Forza Horizon 5 is not the most realistic looking game ever, it looks great for a racing game, but come on!

s0WQ2fY.gif

Show me one game looks more realistic than this by not using 240p gif.

cragarmi

s0WQ2fY.gif

It's a weird question as different games prioritise different things. In terms of an open world environment death strandings world looks very realistic, in terms of animation RDR2, Crysis 3 on PC can look better than this in a forest environment. I already said it looks great, relax, why is it certain people on this forum will jump at every little thing? Maybe get some fresh air?

It's a good thing this is looking so good because it's probably going to be the only thing on my monitor for a month after launch.

Forza Horizon 4 at 144Hz is smooth as hell and looks incredibly good. This game looks better on 60fps Youtube videos than 4 does running on my PC right now. I can't wait to strip away all the compression and double the framerate.

mekes

I wonder how the game runs on my Xbox One S.
From what I've seen, really really well. I do believe there is a recent digital foundry thread on here that shows comparisons between the X and S. Series S has a downgrade in resolution as expected but still looks, and apparently plays amazing.

elliot5

From what I've seen, really really well. I do believe there is a recent digital foundry thread on here that shows comparisons between the X and S. Series S has a downgrade in resolution as expected but still looks, and apparently plays amazing.
we haven't seen the One family though. It'll likely just be scaled down even more and capped at 30 FPS, which is to say, probably good enough for the systems.

Bodomism

Banned
It's a weird question as different games prioritise different things. In terms of an open world environment death strandings world looks very realistic, in terms of animation RDR2, Crysis 3 on PC can look better than this in a forest environment. I already said it looks great, relax, why is it certain people on this forum will jump at every little thing? Maybe get some fresh air?
Death Stranding looks more realistic than FH5? Yeah you know nothing about realistic graphics dude.

I played both RDR2 and Crysis 3 on PC at ultra setting and none of those came close to what is shown in FH5 forest area.

Can't wait to get back home to my pc to show you the difference between Death Stranding graphics vs FH5 graphics.

Last edited:

cragarmi

Death Stranding looks more realistic than FH5? Yeah you know nothing about realistic graphics dude.

I played both RDR2 and Crysis 3 on PC at ultra setting and none of those came close to what is shown in FH5 forest area.
If you say so, I'm not here to argue, different priorities, different opinions, it what makes the world go around. To me Forza has always looked slightly cartoony, which is fine it's just the art style. Goes along with the festival vibe.

Bodomism

Banned
If you say so, I'm not here to argue, different priorities, different opinions, it what makes the world go around. To me Forza has always looked slightly cartoony, which is fine it's just the art style. Goes along with the festival vibe.
I'm speechless.
There exists someone that looked at these screenshots and said it looks like an anime.
Forza-Horizon-5-screenshots-4K-4.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-screenshots-4K-3.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-screenshots-4K-1.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-screenshots-4K-7.jpg

No wonder aliens didn't want to come to earth.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
When I see this it makes me wish the early release was for gamepass subscribers......

elliot5

What kind of exaggerated look you were talking there for FH5?

Do you think real life also looks exaggerated?

land-conservation-florida-e1568045269685.jpg

anzapalm7.jpg

4056.jpg
Idk why you're so defensive about the comments. The games environments tend to be quite realistic, but the car shading and some other aspects have a slightly hyperreal, ever so sightly stylized look to them. Basically the Aloy "hero lighting" applied to the car and such.

s0WQ2fY.gif

Honestly, many games look fantastic and aim for different things graphically and artistically. Not saying it doesn't look as good as you say, I think it looks amazing. But there are many other games that are beautiful, but intentionally don't go for as realistic a tone for art direction. Better way to say it is there's nobody who can credibly deny that it's one of the best looking games ever made.

Idk why you're so defensive about the comments. The games environments tend to be quite realistic, but the car shading and some other aspects have a slightly hyperreal, ever so sightly stylized look to them. Basically the Aloy "hero lighting" applied to the car and such.

Yes, hero lighting definitely at play.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Usually above 1620p for performance as NXG states, but impressive all the same. Solid 60 lock is worth the IQ loss.
Sure, buddy. What they said was...
Dual modes are available that offer Quality or Performance, and both target 4K output with Quality seemingly locked tight on that 4K output, and Performance only having very brief drops to a low of 1620p, normally at the cinematic section at the start of the level. Now during almost all counts and in action it (?)[lands] at 3840x2160 almost all time, just like Quality does.
But by all means, continue on with your stealth trolling.

Bodomism

Banned
Well, that was my point after someone stated RDR2 and Crysis 3 look more realistic than FH5 in the forest area.

I wanna boot this one up so bad.

Since they wanna play nice with EA for their APP why don't they steal EA's thing with the early 10 hour full game trial thing or w/e, I'm ready :messenger_anxious:

Banned
that dynamic reflection probe even captures the plane in the sky...
I am not sure if the reflections had dynamic objects in them in the older games

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
that dynamic reflection probe even captures the plane in the sky...
I am not sure if the reflections had dynamic objects in them in the older games

Reflection will capture everything that’s in screen space. Even things like HUD elements. It’s been like that in Forza for years.

I wanted to watch the video but the audio quality (his voice) is so poor it hurts my ears.

Banned
Reflection will capture everything that’s in screen space. Even things like HUD elements. It’s been like that in Forza for years.

I wanted to watch the video but the audio quality (his voice) is so poor it hurts my ears.

-_- you don't know what you are talking about here

for car reflections Forza, like many racing games, uses a dynamic reflection map that displays a lower quality render of the surrounding environments in real time.
it does not use screen space information for these reflections whatsoever.
in the part I timestamped you can literally see the plane on the car's reflections before it enters the screen.

in Horizon 4 dynamic objects would not be reflected in these (from what I know, maybe there were exceptions I didn't notice).
for example, as soon as you hit a small tree that can be knocked down, it would disappear from the dynamic reflection map as soon as the static tree model is switched out for the physics based destroyed model.
same with walls and bushes.

This is the first time I ever noticed a dynamic/moving object in the dynamic reflection map of a car in a Forza game... but maybe they always had that in show races like these and I simply didn't notice 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
-_- you don't know what you are talking about here

for car reflections Forza, like many racing games, uses a dynamic reflection map that displays a lower quality render of the surrounding environments in real time.
it does not use screen space information for these reflections whatsoever.
in the part I timestamped you can literally see the plane on the car's reflections before it enters the screen.

in Horizon 4 dynamic objects would not be reflected in these (from what I know, maybe there were exceptions I didn't notice).
for example, as soon as you hit a small tree that can be knocked down, it would disappear from the dynamic reflection map as soon as the static tree model is switched out for the physics based destroyed model.
same with walls and bushes.

This is the first time I ever noticed a dynamic/moving object in the dynamic reflection map of a car in a Forza game... but maybe they always had that in show races like these and I simply didn't notice 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, I didn’t realised you timestamped the video. I couldn’t bring myself to watching more than 10 seconds and I thought you’re referring to the bonnet camera reflection.

Top Bottom