• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] Halo Infinite: PC vs Series X Performance Review

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

From Michael Thompson:

With the Halo Infinite campaign now out on Xbox and PC via Gamepass or other options, we made time to play through the campaign of Halot infinite on PC and Xbox Series X. With no Co-Op just yet this was the closest we could get. We compare the PC and Series X, look at the base Xbox One including engine discussions, graphical features, PC settings to match consoles and how performance scales both inside and outside in the ring. Click in to get all this and more in our Halo Infinite Performance Review.

Chapters
00:00 Intro
00:30 Engine upgrades & Visuals
02:28 Scale & Settings
04:22 Console & PC Comparison
07:20 Performance
13:47 Final Thoughts

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Game runs absolutely fine on 3080 with everything set to the max and 75% resolution scaling applied. It crashed on me maybe once in my 150+ hours of playtime.

I hope future updates will bring further optimization, DLSS support and ray tracing. This game would look sick with RT on all these metal surfaces.

SNG32

Game runs good on my gaming laptop only issue I had was that for some reason when I use my DS4 controller it just shows the background and looks like a slideshow and I can't play the game.

Last edited:

wOs

Game runs absolutely fine on 3080 with everything set to the max and 75% resolution scaling applied. It crashed on me maybe once in my 150+ hours of playtime.

I hope future updates will bring further optimization, DLSS support and ray tracing. This game would look sick with RT on all these metal surfaces.
Same. I have a 3080 set to 1440p and ultra with no scaling. Looks beautiful. I have had a couple freezes, but other than that it's been rock solid on framerate.

Md Ray

Game runs good on my gaming laptop only issue I had was that for some reason when I use my DS4 controller it just shows the background and looks like a slideshow and I can't play the game.
Playing Halo using a PlayStation controller.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Last edited:

GymWolf

What's your current configuration?
2070super\8600k\16gb ddr4 3200

It is not a matter of configuration, somehow i have decent performance (except for the occasional stuttering) after removing the hd texture pack, but it crash randomly (not crash on the desktop, it just freeze and i need to manually close the application).

The game has all sort of problems on pc gamepass version, steam version seems more stable.

I'm also playing ac odissey (another kinda shitty optimized game) and it runs fine without crashes.

Last edited:

It is not a matter of configuration, somehow i have decent performance (except for the occasional stuttering) after removing the hd texture pack, but it crash randomly (not crash on the desktop, it just freeze and i need to manually close the application).

The game has all sort of problems on pc gamepass version, steam version seems more stable.

I'm also playing ac odissey (another kinda shitty optimized game) and it runs fine without crashes.
Windows store apps suck. I can't play fh5 because the game hard crashes at achievements and won't start again without a clean install. Halo I can't alt tab without dropping to 15fps until I restart the game.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I spent all of 15 minutes playing this on PC before going back to XSX. The stutter was ridiculous.

"Play Anywh...wh...wh...where"
sorry I had to
I had to cap my frames at 90 on my PC and it helped the stutters a lot

Trying to hit 120 was a mess for my 5950x 3090 the stutters were horrible

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Series X in the Quality preset is the way to go IMO.

High resolution, highest settings on console, a damn near rock solid 60 FPS and none of the stutter related issues, or VRR not working unlike the 120hz mode.

GymWolf

Windows store apps suck. I can't play fh5 because the game hard crashes at achievements and won't start again without a clean install. Halo I can't alt tab without dropping to 15fps until I restart the game.
People talk shit about epic store or ubisoft\ea store, but all of these works perfectly compared to the absolute shitshow that are windows store\xbox app on pc.

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

Dang it... I bought an Xbox Series S and passed on an X because I wanted to use my PC as my primary gaming platform. I hope I don't end up regretting it.

Skifi28

Runs pretty bad on a 1060. Sure, it's a pretty old card, but we're talking about a game that runs on the original Xbox one and is hardly a graphical showcase. Expecting double the framerate from that piece of junke on low-medium settings and with dynamic res that drops pretty low, is not exactly a big ask.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I'll just do the usual with PC AAA releases... Play in 6 months when fixed.

Fortunately FH5 runs really well and there are lots of other games to play on game pass

Grechy34

The multiplayer ran well for me on PC. 120+ FPS smooth (2080ti)

EDIT: I am playing at 1080P.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I'll just do the usual with PC AAA releases... Play in 6 months when fixed.

Fortunately FH5 runs really well and there are lots of other games to play on game pass

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I played some more and just got to the open world.
3080, 3700x, 4k, ultra, asyn ON. vsync off, rtss 120fps. gsync.
I've been getting the feeling of lower fps... or framepacing. Everything moves not as fluid as I think it should.
Any ideas? Am I missing some option to just turn off? I mean, it plays ok but I feel it could be better.

Also - no ray tracing options anywhere?

as for fps. 70+ inside, 55 first glimpse of open world... yikes

I played some more and just got to the open world.
3080, 3700x, 4k, ultra, asyn ON. vsync off, rtss 120fps. gsync.
I've been getting the feeling of lower fps... or framepacing. Everything moves not as fluid as I think it should.
Any ideas? Am I missing some option to just turn off? I mean, it plays ok but I feel it could be better.

Also - no ray tracing options anywhere?

as for fps. 70+ inside, 55 first glimpse of open world... yikes
The game runs like shit on PC. Idk why. Advice: wait for patch or buy Xbox.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game runs like shit on PC. Idk why. Advice: wait for patch or buy Xbox.
I've seen the df video few days ago. Alex said to turn off fps limiter in game and vsync.
I normally always have rtss set to 120, gsync on and vsync hard on in nvcp... so already doing what he says...
Maybe it will feel smoother with a controller. will try tomorrow.
Got me that new 20th anniv controller. Feels almost too nice to use lol

Banned
so you bascially need an rtx2080 maybe even a 2080ti at least to get Series X performance... yeah makes sense, when I played the campaign on my RTX3060ti I basically played at dynamic 1440p on high to keep the framerate stable. it is really heavy on PC

I'm just glad that I have a Ryzen 5600X to at least keep the CPU usage unter control

Last edited:
Top Bottom