• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] The Last of Us Part 1 - Performance Review PS5 vs PS4 vs PS3

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

By Michael Thompson

The Last of Us Part 1 on PS5 has now arrived! Is the Last of Us Part 1 on PlayStation 5 that much better than the PS3 or PS4 Remake? We had a chance to find out as we compared The Last of Us PS3 vs PS4 vs PS5 to see Joel and Ellie with this upgraded and significantly improved release of the beloved classic. With multiple modes of play, 4K resolutions, 60+ framerates, substantial visual upgrades, DuelSense enhancements and much more, we put it all to the test in this Last of Us Part 1 Performance Review.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
So loading is faster under his testing.

But NXGamer did you find DRS was working as DF said it was 1440p in perf mode and no DRS present.
Also you mention just visual updates when there were AI updates as well.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I can't watch the video right now, what do you mean?
When using VRR, you can play with unlocked frame rates in either fidelity or performance modes.

Unlocked fidelity is 40fps+. Just like in Spider-Man, the game would not be smooth unless the developers were able to circumvent the ps5’s 48hz VRR floor. They do this by coding LFC to ensure that when the fps is below 48, then thr VRR floor lowers.

I guess “custom” LFC might not be the right term. It’s LFC.

DeepSpace5D

Unlocked VRR modes with custom LFC in fidelity mode. Nice.
Nice, so looks like Fidelity is the way to go for VRR capable sets? Trying to decide which mode before starting it.

Edit: just watched it now. While the unlocked Fidelity Mode looks awesome, not sure I can pass up Performance unlocked with fps in the 80s-90s in many scenarios. Will try them both out though.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
When using VRR, you can play with unlocked frame rates in either fidelity or performance modes.

Unlocked fidelity is 40fps+. Just like in Spider-Man, the game would not be smooth unless the developers were able to circumvent the ps5’s 48hz VRR floor. They do this by coding LFC to ensure that when the fps is below 48, then thr VRR floor lowers.

Yeah i asked for an explanation because someone previously said that lfc wasn't in.

Slimy was it you?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

What are you talking about mane?
Im completely lost.

LFC as in Low Framerate Compensation?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yes. On PS5 LFC must be patched by the developer in order to have VRR activated down to 24fps (instead of 48fps). This is the case here.
Ahh I see.
I forgot the PS5 uses the forums 48hz floor for VRR, so devs are forced to implement LFC themselves to let the game go below 48 and still have VRR working.

I totally forgot because Rift Apart and Spiderman both have it implemented so i just assumed that was the norm.

Hugare

Naughty Dog needs to implement DRS on their engine asap

The game running at 1440p on Performance mode and not even a locked 40 FPS in Quality mode is unacceptable

We have games such as Horizon and Ratchet & Clank running at higher resolutions and with better performance

No DRS in 2022 is such an oversight

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Naughty Dog needs to implement DRS on their engine asap

The game running at 1440p on Performance mode and not even a locked 40 FPS in Quality mode is unacceptable

We have games such as Horizon and Ratchet & Clank running at higher resolutions and with better performance

No DRS in 2022 is such an oversight
yeah it's a bit lazy. That's why I am largely against modes.
But at least after watching DF performance video I am able to choose a mode I would like... but without it I would select 4k40 mode and have a worse time

Hugare

yeah it's a bit lazy. That's why I am largely against modes.
But at least after watching DF performance video I am able to choose a mode I would like... but without it I would select 4k40 mode and have a worse time
Exactly.

I would go instantly with 40 fps when booting the game since every other Sony 1st party title that have this option run flawlessly.

And shit, this is ND. They wouldn't fuck up. Well ...

This game is not doing anything more demanding than R&C Rift Apart, i'm sure. And Spider-Man with Ray Tracing.

Should be doable. Hopefuly ND will patch it.

Salz01

Not sure which thread to ask, but getting tempted to get this on sale. But did they take out the 40fps mode? This is a deciding factor for me….

solidus12

Sorry for the bump, I just got the game.

What’s the consensus on the unlocked 40fps mode? Did they improve it or is it as unstable as A Plague Tale Resuiem’s 40fps mode on PS5?

Excited to play tonight !!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sorry for the bump, I just got the game.

What’s the consensus on the unlocked 40fps mode? Did they improve it or is it as unstable as A Plague Tale Resuiem’s 40fps mode on PS5?

Excited to play tonight !!

Play it in the 60 FPS mode. The 40 FPS mode never got any updates to improve consistency.

solidus12

I will try the 40fps mode, if it’s as smooth as the other PS Studios titles, then no problem.

If it’s as shaky as A plague Tale, then 60fps it is.

Last edited:

Skifi28

The 40fps mode didn't feel all that good for me. I'm not even talking about framerate drops, it just doesn't feel as smooth as other 40fps games. I'd say even at 60fps the game felt very "heavy" which I don't remember from the ps3/4 version. Almost gave me Killzone 2 vibes.

Top Bottom