• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm currently doing a Halo 2 legendary run co-op with a friend on Master Chief Collection, and I've changed my opinion on the game

Banned
It provided a different and bleak scenario from what we are accustomed to in the Halo series. The setting was gritty and each level presented unique challenges. At first, I hated Halo Reach as well, I thought the enemies were overpowered (I play on Heroic by the way), but with the right tools and strategies, you learn to be an efficient killing machine. In terms of level design, nothing for me will ever surpass "Long Night of Solace". A classic beach head assault followed up by an incredible vehicle section, which was further followed up with the boarding of a Covenant ship. Don't even get me started on the ODST level. Reach was the culmination of three incredible Halo games in my opinion.

this👆 Reach's campaign is amazing and I really love the setting

fatmarco

It provided a different and bleak scenario from what we are accustomed to in the Halo series. The setting was gritty and each level presented unique challenges. At first, I hated Halo Reach as well, I thought the enemies were overpowered (I play on Heroic by the way), but with the right tools and strategies, you learn to be an efficient killing machine. In terms of level design, nothing for me will ever surpass "Long Night of Solace". A classic beach head assault followed up by an incredible vehicle section, which was further followed up with the boarding of a Covenant ship. Don't even get me started on the ODST level. Reach was the culmination of three incredible Halo games in my opinion.
I think the space combat bit in that level is more frustrating than fun on Legendary, at least the last time I played it.

I think conceptually its a great level though, as the other parts are excellent (Tbf, I've never played Halo Reach not on Legendary so I can't speak to how it plays on other difficulties etc.).

With all my criticism's about its difficulty balance etc., I still love Reach's tone and atmosphere. It's the peak of the franchise in that regard.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Reach
Halo 4
Halo 2
Halo 1
Halo 3
Dogshit
Halo infinite
Halo 5
Halo 3 CE

Last edited:

Shut0wen

I used to think Halo 2 was the 2nd best Halo n the series and Halo CE was the best. After going through Halo 2 again with a friend on co-op, I have to say I'm very confident Halo 2 is objectively the better game. Halo 2 is a lot better than I remembered, and Halo CE wasn't as good as I remembered. They're both great, but CE has missions that are insanely repetitive and just go on and on forever(like The Library... ughhh) and Halo 2 with dual wielding, plus the upgraded visuals in the anniversary version just make it an amazing experience.

Legendary is really hard, but we're getting through it. I love how it forces you to use some weapons you normally wouldn't. The plasma pistol is king in this, and the dual wielding needlers are so OP. They're great on any difficulty.

One thing though: getting several crashes in this. Not sure why. A few times during super hectic moments with a ton of action on the screen it just kicks us out of the game back to the dashboard, says "connection lost" and we have to start all the way over since there's no damn check points for co-op. We were in the middle of a 2 hour session the other night, taking our time on legendary and at one point about 80% though a bunch of vehicles were on the screen and it just booted us out of the game. Really annoying. Not sure if this is a common bug or whatever. I have a Series X, so shouldn't be an issue where it can't handle that kind of action.

I've noticed some other bugs too, like weapons will graphically stop shooting. And to get it to go away, need to completely quit the game back to the dash and reload it. Curious if anyone else has had these issues.

Anyway, look forward to finishing it. Some of the areas on legendary are super intense.
For me it goes halo 3 is the best, then ce then 2, 2 is a good game especially considering that it was developed within 18 months but the game feels incredibly rushed, the ending at the time still hurts deep within my memory

jaysius

Banned
I’m an outlier here I loved ODST but also Halo 5 was the first Halo with an actual good story structure and interesting characters.

Halo 5 made me go “wow Halo is actually good, but Bungie is a bunch of recycling hacks(dull levels and enemies) with no idea how to craft a good story”.

Halo’s story telling has always been capped at an junior high level of complexity both with characters and story development before Infinite.

Halo Infinite was OK the story was 2nd only to Halo 5, but the gameplay and levels were pretty repetitive and too long overall.

Infinite’s story and gameplay is still better than all the other old Halo’s.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Everyone has a different favorite Halo, but it seems like Reach and 2 are most often at the top of players list. I only do the campaigns and Reach is #1, but Halo 2 is in last place for me.

Halo Reach
Halo Infinite
Halo 4
Halo 3
Halo CE
Halo 5
Halo ODST
Halo 2

I’m an outlier here I loved ODST but also Halo 5 was the first Halo with an actual good story structure and interesting characters.

Halo 5 made me go “wow Halo is actually good, but Bungie is a bunch of recycling hacks(dull levels and enemies) with no idea how to craft a good story”.

Halo’s story telling has always been capped at an junior high level of complexity both with characters and story development before Infinite.

Halo Infinite was OK the story was 2nd only to Halo 5, but the gameplay and levels were pretty repetitive and too long overall.

Infinite’s story and gameplay is still better than all the other old Halo’s.
What the.....

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Complete disagree, particularly thought Legendary was garbage.

The insta-sniping jackals completely ruin the experience. They are tricky to implement in any game, and Halo 2's implementation was pretty much the worst I've ever experienced.

I loose respect for devs who put insta-snipe enemies in a game like that; like what the fuck are you on? lol

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Halo 2 Legendary run complete!

It was annoying as hell at times, but definitely felt satisfying to finish.

Banned
Halo 2 Legendary run complete!

It was annoying as hell at times, but definitely felt satisfying to finish.

Well Done Reaction GIF

Top Bottom