• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm disappointed in the lack of Dualsense features in Elden Ring

Danknugz

Yea, I'm a bit disappointed as well. Ppl like to shit on the Dualsense for it's "gimmicks" but everything was once new and once a "gimmick" until it became standard and/or essential. I personally love any implementation of DualSense features. I would rather these companies try something new, keep trying to innovate versus just going "yup, we're good here. nothing more we can do, it's perfect"

I can just image if the trigger pressure needed scaled with the weight of the weapon 🤔 those with weak girly hands will say "that sounds terrible" not for my manly hands :messenger_bicep:... luckily you get the option to turn it off. See everyone wins.
right? my hands and wrists are so jacked from jerking off to video game girls all the time.

right? my hands and wrists are so jacked from jerking off to video game girls all the time.
I actually can't anymore. With the amount of grip strength and force I can generate, I'd just rip it clean off. Tested it on a horse... my pecker wouldn't stand a chance.

ZywyPL

Banned
The game is available on 8 different platforms, so no wonder they didn't focus on implementing features available on only one of them. They didn't have time to properly optimize the game first and foremost before launch, and you expected them to add something extra?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I do wish the game had the features, but it's still great without them. It's just really noticeable that it lacks them when going between ER and GT7.

They could have easily copied how they were used in Demon's Souls, but it's minor overall.

NikuNashi

lol, good luck with that. I bet you renege on this futile campaign in 6 months, tops.

It’s a console specific feature that, based on the replies in this thread, most people don’t even care about. Devs won’t waste their money once they see the metrics.
I wouldn't base anything off gaf thread replies, the most vocal here will be Xbox / PC gamers who have never touched a PS5.

After the amazing feeling of sword hitting shield on demon's souls it's terrible that from just ignored this. But they are a shit dev who happens to have a genius director, so it's no surprise the framerate is a slide show, graphics look like a mid level PS3 game, and there are no next gen features being utilized.

A third party game not supporting something for only one platform

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

GameAdaptive TriggersHaptic FeedbackRelease date
Alan Wake RemasteredYes-Oct. 5, 2021
Astro's PlayroomYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Assassin's Creed ValhallaYesYesNov. 10, 2020
AvengersYesYes2021
Back 4 BloodYesYesOct. 2021
Borderlands 3YesYesNov. 13, 2020
BugsnaxYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold WarYesYesNov. 13, 2020
Call of Duty: VanguardYesYesNov. 5, 2021
ControlYesYesFeb. 2, 2021
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About TimeYesYesMarch 12, 2021
Cyberpunk 2077YesYesFeb. 16, 2022
DeathloopYesYesSept. 14, 2021
Death's DoorYesYesNov. 23, 2021
Demon's SoulsYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Destruction AllStarsYesYesFeb. 2, 2021
Devil May Cry 5 Special EditionYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Diablo 2: Resurrected-Yes2021
DiRT 5YesYesNov. 12, 2020
FIFA 21-YesDec. 4, 2020
Final Fantasy XIV: EndwalkerYesYes2021
FortniteYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Genshin ImpactYesYesJuly 21, 2021
Ghost of Tsushima: Director's CutYesYesAug. 20, 2021
Ghostwire: TokyoYesYesMarch 25, 2022
GodfallYesYesNov. 12, 2020
God of War: Ragnarok--2022
Goodbye Volcano High-Yes2021
Gran Turismo 7YesYesMarch 4, 2022
Guardians of the GalaxyYesYesOct. 26, 2021
HadesYes-Aug. 13, 2021
Heavenly BodiesYesYes-
Hell Let LooseYesYes2021
Hogwarts LegacyYes-2022
Hood: Outlaws & Legends--May 7, 2021
Horizon Forbidden WestYesYesFeb. 18, 2022
Immortals Fenyx Rising-YesDec. 3, 2020
Jett: The Far Shore-Yes2021
Kena: Bridge of SpiritsYesYes2021
Life is Strange: True ColorsYesYesSept. 10, 2021
Madden 21-YesDec. 4, 2020
Maneater-YesNov. 12, 2020
Marvel's AvengersYesYesMarch 18, 2021
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles MoralesYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Marvel's Spider-Man RemasteredYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Marvel's Spider-Man 2YesYes2023
Marvel's WolverineYesYes-
Metro ExodusYesYesJune 18, 2021
MXGP 2020UnknownUnknownDec. 16, 2020
NBA 2K21YesYesNov. 12, 2020
No Man's SkyYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Nour: Play With Your FoodYesYes-
Observer: System ReduxYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Oddworld: SoulstormYes-April 2021
Overcooked! All You Can EatUnknownUnknown2020
Praey for the GodsUnknownUnknownQ1 2021
Ratchet & Clank: Rift ApartYesYesJune 11, 2021
Resident Evil VillageYesYesMay 7, 2021
ReturnalYesYesApril 30, 2021
Ride 4YesYesJan. 2021
Sackboy: A Big AdventureYes-Nov. 12, 2020
SifuYesYesFeb. 8, 2022
The PathlessYesYesNov. 12, 2020
The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of AshesYesYesOct. 22, 2021
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves CollectionYesYesJan. 28, 2022
WarframeYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Watch Dogs: LegionYesYesNov. 12, 2020

Look at all these devs wasting their time implementing dual sense features.

Last edited:

Shakka43

No 3rd party multiplatform game is ever going to "really" take advantage of any specific hardware feature that's exclusive to one console. It's a waste of effort that not all players would be able to use. The only time you'll see exclusive console features get used extensively would be in exclusive games (and really only be 1st party studios at that)
Except the majority of third party have actually added DualSense support to their games. Like it or not the features are here to stay and there is a much better chance of the next Xbox having something similar than not.

Except the majority of third party have actually added DualSense support to their games. Like it or not the features are here to stay and there is a much better chance of the next Xbox having something similar than not.
Xbox consoles will have similar features in future and then it will be the greatest thing ever. Those threads are coming lol

Its easy to see right through the BS warring of most here in this thread haha.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
No 3rd party multiplatform game is ever going to "really" take advantage of any specific hardware feature that's exclusive to one console. It's a waste of effort that not all players would be able to use. The only time you'll see exclusive console features get used extensively would be in exclusive games (and really only be 1st party studios at that)
Well, this just isn’t true.

Luipadre

That's what happens when you put all that unnecessary gimmicks on your controller.

Devs don't see the value of implementing features that take advantage of them when their time could be better used elsewhere.

yeah like making a better lockon camera or optimizing the game right?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Honestly, I think its better this way. That way they can focus more on important things, like gameplay, world building, etc.
You really think adding ds support takes away from actual dev time ?
It’s an api that by default translates audio to vibration precisely. The triggers and order effects are custom.
No reason not to include the basic form of it in your game

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

There is a lot of technology built into the DS controller.

Adaptive triggers are extremely good. The first game I played without any extra features was a different experience. It felt a bit boring and I knew something was off.

You kind of take it for granted until it isn't there.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
GameAdaptive TriggersHaptic FeedbackRelease date
Alan Wake RemasteredYes-Oct. 5, 2021
Astro's PlayroomYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Assassin's Creed ValhallaYesYesNov. 10, 2020
AvengersYesYes2021
Back 4 BloodYesYesOct. 2021
Borderlands 3YesYesNov. 13, 2020
BugsnaxYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold WarYesYesNov. 13, 2020
Call of Duty: VanguardYesYesNov. 5, 2021
ControlYesYesFeb. 2, 2021
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About TimeYesYesMarch 12, 2021
Cyberpunk 2077YesYesFeb. 16, 2022
DeathloopYesYesSept. 14, 2021
Death's DoorYesYesNov. 23, 2021
Demon's SoulsYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Destruction AllStarsYesYesFeb. 2, 2021
Devil May Cry 5 Special EditionYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Diablo 2: Resurrected-Yes2021
DiRT 5YesYesNov. 12, 2020
FIFA 21-YesDec. 4, 2020
Final Fantasy XIV: EndwalkerYesYes2021
FortniteYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Genshin ImpactYesYesJuly 21, 2021
Ghost of Tsushima: Director's CutYesYesAug. 20, 2021
Ghostwire: TokyoYesYesMarch 25, 2022
GodfallYesYesNov. 12, 2020
God of War: Ragnarok--2022
Goodbye Volcano High-Yes2021
Gran Turismo 7YesYesMarch 4, 2022
Guardians of the GalaxyYesYesOct. 26, 2021
HadesYes-Aug. 13, 2021
Heavenly BodiesYesYes-
Hell Let LooseYesYes2021
Hogwarts LegacyYes-2022
Hood: Outlaws & Legends--May 7, 2021
Horizon Forbidden WestYesYesFeb. 18, 2022
Immortals Fenyx Rising-YesDec. 3, 2020
Jett: The Far Shore-Yes2021
Kena: Bridge of SpiritsYesYes2021
Life is Strange: True ColorsYesYesSept. 10, 2021
Madden 21-YesDec. 4, 2020
Maneater-YesNov. 12, 2020
Marvel's AvengersYesYesMarch 18, 2021
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles MoralesYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Marvel's Spider-Man RemasteredYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Marvel's Spider-Man 2YesYes2023
Marvel's WolverineYesYes-
Metro ExodusYesYesJune 18, 2021
MXGP 2020UnknownUnknownDec. 16, 2020
NBA 2K21YesYesNov. 12, 2020
No Man's SkyYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Nour: Play With Your FoodYesYes-
Observer: System ReduxYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Oddworld: SoulstormYes-April 2021
Overcooked! All You Can EatUnknownUnknown2020
Praey for the GodsUnknownUnknownQ1 2021
Ratchet & Clank: Rift ApartYesYesJune 11, 2021
Resident Evil VillageYesYesMay 7, 2021
ReturnalYesYesApril 30, 2021
Ride 4YesYesJan. 2021
Sackboy: A Big AdventureYes-Nov. 12, 2020
SifuYesYesFeb. 8, 2022
The PathlessYesYesNov. 12, 2020
The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of AshesYesYesOct. 22, 2021
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves CollectionYesYesJan. 28, 2022
WarframeYesYesNov. 12, 2020
Watch Dogs: LegionYesYesNov. 12, 2020

Look at all these devs wasting their time implementing dual sense features.
Never said they wasted their time, but you can't really expect a third party dev to support a feature for one platform.

Never said they wasted their time, but you can't really expect a third party dev to support a feature for one platform.
But these guys clearly did. Cyberpunk is on every platform including Stadia and you can probably find it running on a calculator somewhere and they have dual sense features implemented into their game.

At this point with the amount of developers that have released dual sense support for their games its not too unreasonable to expect a new release AAA game to follow suit.

Chronicle

That's what happens when you put all that unnecessary gimmicks on your controller.

Devs don't see the value of implementing features that take advantage of them when their time could be better used elsewhere.
That statement makes no sense whatsoever. Let's look at it carefully. How do you not get features to be used on your controller? Don't have those options to be used on your controller.

How do you get features implemented on your controller? Have them on your controller to be used.

Whether or not a developer wishes to use them or not is not because those features are available. It's the availability that enables them to be used.

Banned
What are you even talking about? Literally the bow on demons souls and that was it. And if you kept firing a bow over and over the trigger movement couldnt keep up and would fall out of sync.
Now if you said returnal, I could maybe see your point

yeah... I mean, there was Switch like HD Rumble features for subtle rumble for some things, but that shit is as forgettable as it gets

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It kind of is. A widely adopted gimmick but gaming without rumble doesnt fundamentally change the way games are designed. Gimmick isn't automatically a negative.
usually when people denote something as a gimmick they use it in a negative context... hell look at the people in this thread
while i'm kind of disappointed that the only real thing they brought to the table with the PS5 controller is haptics i feel that this way of rumble should be the future of how game rumble is handled. it's simply better, and i don't see why we should denote it as a gimmick
shit like this stays a gimmick because you guys are so apathetic and hostile towards trying to make it standardized in games and game consoles. that's why it's a gimmick. imagine if the analog stick had this kind of pushback, we would still be playing video games on Dpads. I guarantee you that if neogaf existed in 1995 and they introduced that with the N64, the same people here disparaging the dualsense's haptics would be the same guys talking about how worthless the N64's analog stick is.

Lokaum D+

You r asking too much, From cant even make their games to run well, imagine dual sense implemantation.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
usually when people denote something as a gimmick they use it in a negative context... hell look at the people in this thread
while i'm kind of disappointed that the only real thing they brought to the table with the PS5 controller is haptics i feel that this way of rumble should be the future of how game rumble is handled. it's simply better, and i don't see why we should denote it as a gimmick
shit like this stays a gimmick because you guys are so apathetic and hostile towards trying to make it standardized in games and game consoles. that's why it's a gimmick. imagine if the analog stick had this kind of pushback, we would still be playing video games on Dpads. I guarantee you that if neogaf existed in 1995 and they introduced that with the N64, the same people here disparaging the dualsense's haptics would be the same guys talking about how worthless the N64's analog stick is.

Analog sticks (full motion ones) gave us 360 movement versus just up, down, left, right and then dual analog sticks made it far easier to move and control the camera (in games where that is the case). Imagine trying to play a modern 3D FPS with an original SNES or PS1 (without analog sticks) controller. Yeah, you basically can't. You can definitely play any game without rumble, though.

Also I don't really agree that people shitting on the N64's analog stick would have killed analog sticks. As I highlighted above, the very nature of 3D games means that something like analog sticks would have been adopted eventually. Having said that, I am glad we didn't go with those Microsoft shiny red ball mouse style stuff or Steam's trackpad stuff.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
You really think adding ds support takes away from actual dev time ?

No, I just think its a waste of time. Resolving around a gimmick won't matter, people gonna play the game for its own merits, regardless of a function of a controller.

Do you really think it’s the same people that work on all these things?

Just like your painter doesn’t change your oil, they are completely seperate roles.

If you guys got a problem just send directly complains to them. No need to get touchy just because I think it's a waste of time, in no point I'm here trying to prove or disprove anything. Players gonna survive without it.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Analog sticks (full motion ones) gave us 360 movement versus just up, down, left, right and then dual analog sticks made it far easier to move and control the camera
in that case, pessimists would argue that 360 degree movement is a gimmick and that cardinal only directions work fine for games and they should focus more on other aspects like "worldbuilding" or "performance"

Ceadeus

I don't think it's a gimmick. In cyberpunk, I really enjoy the new angle it gives you to drive and shoot.

It's something I always want from now on. This and then the psvr2 headset feedback. I'm looking for this.

This industry needs to stay quirky and fun.

Banned
Honestly the Dualsense is a crap controller, I miss the DS4.

I sure like the ergonomics of the DualShock 4 way better. the handles on the Dualsense are just bulky and weirdly shaped. makes my hands hurt after an hour of playing anything. never had that issue on the DS4 unless playing racing games since holding down R2 will push the controller upwards and that will cramp up your hands over time because you subconsciously will try to hold it in place with your palms... that is 1 area where the Dualsense is better, but not by much

Last edited:
I'm very disappointed in the Dualsense implementation in Elden Ring. It's fucking non existent. No adaptive triggers or haptic feedback when you draw a bow, using a spell or when the rain falls on you. It has so much potential for immersion and From basically just squandered it. And it got no 3D audio either. Coming from Demon's Souls, Returnal and Control, which used the Dualsense and 3D audio to an absolute perfection, playing Elden Ring is such a fucking let down in this department. From Software makes some of the best games ever, if not the best ever, but they need a fucking shakeup when it comes to technical features like this. I hope they patch this shit up in future updates. What the fuck are we buying the PS5 version for?
Elden ring you are already fighting to stay alive from being one shot by something let alone fighting the controller….maybe it was a deliberate design choice

The springs they use are brittle and prone to snapping, usually on the right shoulder. I've had two break on mine. Replacement springs are dirt cheap and (fairly) easy to fit though.

PS5 has the best load times for Elden Ring by far, which you'd know if you knew.
I know as I play on a PS5, but they are still not fast enough given other games like FF7 Remake, RE8 etc.

Robb

Gold Member
Pretty expected imo, this is pretty much always the case with gimmicks.. Even if they’re great. First party games tend to use them to great effect, big 3rd party games tend to use them to great effect early on and then less as time goes on.

Just look at the back touchpad on Vita, microphone in the Wii-remote/or even the motion controls themselves (which mainly turned in to waggle in 3rd party titles), “isometric gameplay” on WiiU, HD rumble on Switch, touchpad on Ps4 etc. etc.

Last edited:

Filben

From Software is not really known for their technical competence so no wonder it has no support for the new feedback/rumble.

Personally, this is one of the most interesting features of the PS5/next gen. My PC is, performance-wise, on par with the PS5 and in all honestly, visual quality is already up to a level that games don't benefit that much from it so I don't need a PS5 for its pure performance and two or three exclusives I'm interested it (also never played a game completely that looked amazing but played like shit; I did, however, vice versa). But after playing F1 2021 on PC with the DualSense I was sold. Feeling, on the trigger, when tyres are about to lock up under breaking or lose traction when accelerating was amazing. Never thought I could have such precise control and good feeling on a gamepad. And although I'm owning a Thrustmaster T300 RS I still use for iRacing, I've found myself more often playing with the gamepad because of its easy 'hop-in' nature and good feeling.

In Deathloop the DualSense transports the protagonist's steps and their intensity; I can not only hear the loudness of my steps but can also feel it. Light steps feel different on the DualSense than faster walking speed or sprinting. Pulling the trigger is probably as close as it gets of pulling a real trigger with a gamepad; you have this ever so subtle resistance when shooting, it just feels satisfying.

I'm planning to get Elden Ring nonetheless of course, but it would have been cool if they added this feature.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Xbox consoles will have similar features in future and then it will be the greatest thing ever. Those threads are coming lol

I certainly hope not, and if they do the first thing I’ll do is disable it like it’s disabled on my Dualsense.

I guess because Sony have done it you have to like it or else you are a just troll/warrior/shill. The truth is haptics (smart rumble aside) are just not a plus point for a lot of people.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I certainly hope not, and if they do the first thing I’ll do is disable it like it’s disabled on my Dualsense.

I guess because Sony have done it you have to like it or else you are a just troll/warrior/shill. The truth is haptics (smart rumble aside) are just not a plus point for a lot of people.
A lot of people?

Are you running a survey or something? For me if a game is comparable across platforms graphics and gameplay wise, DualSense features are the tie breaker. Gyro+Accelerometer, proper Haptics, etc… are a great combo, the XSX controller did a great jump forward with the DPad (Amazon) but they are lacking some features IMHO.

I noticed that for the games I dual dip on tend to be on platforms where I have these additional features (see Switch too). For some rare ones like DOOM64 I will happily triple dip.

Banjo64

cumsessed
A lot of people?

Are you running a survey or something? For me if a game is comparable across platforms graphics and gameplay wise, DualSense features are the tie breaker. Gyro+Accelerometer, proper Haptics, etc… are a great combo, the XSX controller did a great jump forward with the DPad (Amazon) but they are lacking some features IMHO.

I noticed that for the games I dual dip on tend to be on platforms where I have these additional features (see Switch too). For some rare ones like DOOM64 I will happily triple dip.
Yeah mate a lot of people, just like a lot of people also like it. Unless you think it’s just me and like 3 other people in the world who have disabled the haptics? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm turning that off day one if it comes to Xbox. It seems like most devs are too lazy to properly implement it.

TrebleShot

Dualsense is a game changer and is absolutely brilllaint.

Play GT7 then go play FH5.

95% games I’ve played on PS5 support it even little indie devs support it and put it on their bullet point lists to sell the game.

People who don’t like it don’t season their chicken and it shows.

Majukun

it's not a ps5 exclusive, why would you expect it to have some deep implementation of a ps5 exclusive feature?

Top Bottom