• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm getting kind of sick of lock-on dodge roll Souls/Souls-like combat

Majukun

a lot of people love DD, but i stopped playing it out ofboredom when i got it..there are some ideas in that game, but none looks particularly well executed or explored in depth

at least for the main game, didn't touch the expansion

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
in Souls games your attack and block buttons are on the shoukder buttons, meaning your right thumb can easily turn the camera while you are attacking.

so not really an issue imo
Honestly, while that might help, I think having to manually operate the camera while fighting a huge enemy in a game where you can die in 2 or 3 hits isn't the best solution.

Just make the camera zoom level more dynamic, or let the player climb on enemies so we can hit them anywere else than at their feet.

Some Bloodborne bosses had location based damage, like the Cleric Beast's hesd or Vicar Amelia's arm. Imagine that in Elden Ring plus the addition of climbing, would be awesome.

a lot of people love DD, but i stopped playing it out ofboredom when i got it..there are some ideas in that game, but none looks particularly well executed or explored in depth

at least for the main game, didn't touch the expansion
Game has it's flaws, but the combat and exploration are top of the crop for me. Did you reach Gran Soren? The game opens up from there.

Last edited:

M1987

I like the Bloodborne dodge so much better than the roll in Elden ring(have bought but not played Dark souls yet)

Majukun

Honestly, while that might help, I think having to manually operate the camera while fighting a huge enemy in a game where you can die in 2 or 3 hits isn't the best solution.

Just make the camera zoom level more dynamic, or let the player climb on enemies so we can hit them anywere else than at their feet.

Some Bloodborne bosses had location based damage, like the Cleric Beast's hesd or Vicar Amelia's arm. Imagine that in Elden Ring plus the addition of climbing, would be awesome.

Game has it's flaws, but the combat and exploration are top of the crop for me. Did you reach Gran Soren? The game opens up from there.
name rings a bell but has been a lot of time since i played that game, so don't remember when i stopped..i remember finding most of the options in combat being either unexciting (like climbing on enemies like spiderman on walls, it was rather slow and clunky) or kinda useless (most of the special actions either are not necessary at all or are way too similiar in effect to other actions)

again can't go into details because i played the game in the year it came out, and it has been a while...lot of time I though about trying it again, tackling the expansion that people say it's way better, but i never did.

M1987

Only problem I have with Elden Ring's and souls combat in general is how the camera works when fighting huge ass enemies. From should implement some kind of dynamic zooming in and out for those fights.

Take the Fire Giant boss fight for example, very cool design yet I spent most of the fight just looking at his feet and praying, since I couldn't see his attacks winding up nor anything else, but feet.

Feedback when hitting an enemy could be a bit better too. It feels more satisfying in games like BOTW or Dragon's Dogma.

God do I wish Dragon's Dogma was the standard.

It does so many things so well that it makes me wonder why it hasn't been copied to death like the souls games.
Yeah the Fire giant was annoying.I beat it first try, but the camera angle was awful when he started rolling about like a baby

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
name rings a bell but has been a lot of time since i played that game, so don't remember when i stopped..i remember finding most of the options in combat being either unexciting (like climbing on enemies like spiderman on walls, it was rather slow and clunky) or kinda useless (most of the special actions either are not necessary at all or are way too similiar in effect to other actions)

again can't go into details because i played the game in the year it came out, and it has been a while...lot of time I though about trying it again, tackling the expansion that people say it's way better, but i never did.
Yeah I get your point. Climbing can feel clunky until you get the hang of it, as once you realize you can do a jump while grabbing, just to grab it again mid-jump you can climb on enemies much faster.

Special attacks can be a bit samey yeah, specially with melee classes like the fighter or the warrior. But then you reach Gran Soren (the big city) and you unlock 6 more classes, some of them being quite unique like the Mystic Knight or the Magick Archer.

I'd recommend giving it another go once the game goes on sale. It runs great on PC (I played it at 60fps with a GTX 1060) and includes the expansion.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
God of war welcomes you I think it’s the #1 combat game.
video games GIF

kiphalfton

Lock on is a necessity in third person action rpg games. No if's, and's, or but's about it.

Not like there aren't plenty of games without it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
in Souls games your attack and block buttons are on the shoukder buttons, meaning your right thumb can easily turn the camera while you are attacking.

so not really an issue imo
of course not an issue. Many people and pros do not lock on.
IMO there are very little souls like clones that have good combat. I am not tired of it. I am kinda starved for it !

My main issue in soulsborne games is when to lock on and when not too. I feel like most of my deaths is trying to toggle the lock on.

Skelterz

Just stick to more sophisticated games. I enjoy some of the From titles for what they are, but when you boil things down the combat in them is extremely simple. Games like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon*, and Spider-Man (as just several examples) offer more layered, nuanced, and engaging combat (and gameplay in general) that makes full use of an arsenal of offensive and defensive mechanisms and strategies. From games basically follow a very simple formula of lock-on, dodge, block, and parry - and occasionally spells if one wants. Investing enough hours into a From game - leveling up your character in a very specific way, and finding very specific items and weapons - will add a bit more sophistication to gameplay but they're still dead-simple in comparison to virtually all other third person action RPG's. The only such game I can think of that even comes close to the simplicity of From games is GTA 5.

So in short the resolution to your dilemma is simple: stop playing From games and those that try to ape them! Anyone doing so would have a better time gaming anyway IMO.

Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima
Nuanced combat 😂 your fucking dreaming mate.

Play Monster Hunter, it’s always been superior to Souls games in regards to combat. Circle strafing lock on combat became stale after the 3rd entry in the series, hype hasn’t been the same since dark souls 2 imo.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Also functions as it helps the camera focus. Maybe try Devil May Cry 5. I sure as hell missed the lock on! Or was it DMC4?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Play Monster Hunter, it’s always been superior to Souls games in regards to combat. Circle strafing lock on combat became stale after the 3rd entry in the series, hype hasn’t been the same since dark souls 2 imo.

It's hard tho because lots of it is knowing the monsters move patterns. Hard to predict when to load up a hammer to hit the monster in the head because it'll be at some precise point in a about 1.2 seconds

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's hard tho because lots of it is knowing the monsters move patterns. Hard to predict when to load up a hammer to hit the monster in the head because it'll be at some precise point in a about 1.2 seconds
Once you fought the monster enough times you can tell what they about to do, in MH the monsters telegraphs their moves very clearly, more than any other games.

TexMex

Just stick to more sophisticated games. I enjoy some of the From titles for what they are, but when you boil things down the combat in them is extremely simple. Games like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon*, and Spider-Man (as just several examples) offer more layered, nuanced, and engaging combat (and gameplay in general)

You are high off your ass.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Once you fought the monster enough times you can tell what they about to do, in MH the monsters telegraphs their moves very clearly, more than any other games.

I played quite a bit of MHW on PS4PRO but dropped it eventually. I almost double dipped on Series S for the 60fps but the res drops very low, 900x??? Anyway I decided to wait and play it again on PS5 BC.

With that said I adored the way Rise looks and with the grapple and QOL stuff. But 30fps really turned me off. Maybe when it's on sale.

And regarding the FPS, I do own the MHW Ultimate I think it's called and that's 60fps; so smooth and still beautiful. But it's age is showing in the QOL aspect. Needs real dedication.

The End

jufonuk

not tag worthy
i too do not like certains type of games. Therefore I do not play them.

But you are tall king about burn out. Yeah it happens revisit a game you love from what ever genre you are burnt out on. Maybe that will rekindle the flame or something

Flutta

Banned
You want a game without look-on go play HFW and see how that goes. Lock on is there for a good reason. Trash take OP.

TintoConCasera

You want a game without look-on go play HFW and see how that goes. Lock on is there for a good reason. Trash take OP.
I don't think Horizon's problems with melee combat are just because the lack of camera lock-on.

Yoboman

Locking is just a way of fixing the perspective so other parts of the controls are more intuitive

Games without it generally feel messy, automated or only work for crowd combat

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Locking is just a way of fixing the perspective so other parts of the controls are more intuitive

Games without it generally feel messy, automated or only work for crowd combat
That's why Dragon's Dogma and Monster Hunter handle rpg combat so great and are way ahead of Souls on the combat front. They handle crowd combat. projectile and one on one with grace in an action rpg setting.

I_D

I agree, but for different reasons.

I know this is going to sound like "git gud" pompous-assholery, but this is a serious comment:

The 'lock-on' feature is for the beginners in the Souls series.
People who play the game with comfort never bother using the 'lock-on' feature.
The 'lock-on' feature is severely limited, in terms of controls and options for combat. Though it is pretty much perfect for newbies.
Avoiding the 'lock-on' allows the player to unlock all sorts of different options, and the game really opens up.

As such, I agree that controlling the camera can be a bitch in lock-on-based games.
But, when playing Souls games at a high level, the camera isn't an issue; and I would argue that Souls games do not deserve a spot in this conversation.

I would add, however, that games designed around a lock-on feature are all limiting themselves, in terms of their potential for growth in the series.
And, unfortunately, damn near every single console game released nowadays relies on a 'lock-on' feature; which is a shame.

And I also agree with others in this thread that a 'climb' ability would be an excellent addition to the Souls series.
Games like Dragon's Dogma or Shadow of the Colossus, though, are definitely NOT what I would use as inspiration. Those games are clunky as hell, in terms of their combat mechanics.

Last edited:

Shifty

It feels like developers at large have forgotten that Shadow of the Colossus set the gold standard for giant boss cameras (and open-world cameras, for that matter) way back in the PS2 era.

It's been a while since I last played, but checking out some gameplay footage recently made me realise just how technical it is - there are so many different cases where it'll pan back or subtly reposition and change focus to frame the scene just so instead of settling for the simpler and more traditional approach where the player calls 90% of the shots.

Top Bottom