• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm just...speechless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilbert

Yeah, I'm stealing this from Slashdot...but I'm utterly speechless after reading this press release. This might be the dumbest thing I've read all week...and I've read some dumb things this week:

BSA Announces Nationwide, Back-to-School Poll to Name Mascot

Washington, DC —(August 10, 2004) — Elementary school students heading back to school in September will be invited to name the “Play It Safe in Cyber Space” mascot, a “copyright-crusading” ferret who teaches tech-savvy kids about cyber ethics.

Beginning September 1, thousands of kids nationwide are expected to log on to www.playitcybersafe.com to vote for one of five ferret names by the end of the month. The winning name will be unveiled in January in a new, educational comic book curriculum.

“Play It Safe in Cyber Space” is the Business Software Alliance’s (BSA) education program that teaches children the importance of responsible computer and Internet use, respect for digital creativity and copyright protection.

“Computer usage is commonplace in youth education today, and good legal and ethical behaviors need to be taught with the technology,” said Diane Smiroldo, vice president, public affairs for BSA. “We hope that naming the ferret and creating a comic book curriculum that focuses on respecting digital copyrighted works will be a fun way to remind kids and educators about the importance of learning and practicing good cyber ethics.”

The four-page comic book about cyber ethics created by BSA and Weekly Reader, a leader in educational publishing, will debut in early January. The storyline, which features the ferret as the “Copyright Crusader,” is designed to educate children about the importance of protecting and respecting copyrighted works such as software, music, games and movies. The comic book and companion teacher’s guide will be mailed nationwide to fourth grade teachers who subscribe to Weekly Reader and will be available for free download at www.playitcybersafe.com.

Recent research underscores the need to continue to educate our young people about the importance of cyber ethics and respect for intellectual property.

Results of a Harris Interactive poll, commissioned by BSA, show that young people ages 8-18 understand the meaning of copyright, yet still illegally download and copy software and other digital materials. In an effort to raise awareness of the importance of cyber ethics, BSA encourages teachers to utilize educational resources, such as the cyber ethics curriculum, “Play It Safe in Cyber Space,” co-developed with Weekly Reader, in their lesson plans for students.

Children may vote for their favorite ferret name by visiting www.playitcybersafe.com, from September 1 to 30, 2004. Also available for download on the site are free copies of BSA’s currently-available cyber ethics curriculum, “Play It Safe In Cyberspace.” Since its initial distribution in 2002, the curriculum has reached more than 13 million kids, parents and teachers.
http://www.bsa.org/usa/press/newsreleases/BSA-Announces-Back-to-School-Poll.cfm

First of all, the choice of a ferret wins some kind of prize for irony:
Main Entry: ferret
Function: verb
intransitive senses
1 : to hunt with ferrets
2 : to search about
transitive senses
1 a (1) : to hunt (as rabbits) with ferrets (2) : to force out of hiding : FLUSH b : to find and bring to light by searching -- usually used with out <ferret out the answers>
2 : HARRY, WORRY
The website doesn't have the candidate names up yet, but I bet Gaming-Age can think up some better ones...MUCH better ones.

that's it? because they named the mascot a ferret you think it's dumb? or am i mising something? not the worst thing to teach kids not to steal.

xabre

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
not the worst thing to teach kids not to steal.

How is downloading music, movies etc stealing? Are other people being deprived of the product through this practice? I think the legal term you're looking for is copyright infringement

...and remember kids -

paranoia.jpg

border

Haha....apparently you didn't hear the story on NPR today about our new "mascot" for Homeland Security..

slayn

needs to show more effort.
if I had someone coming into my school telling me not to pirate... that would have only taught me that I COULD pirate, and well, pirating would have begun at a much younger age.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
border said:
Haha....apparently you didn't hear the story on NPR today about our new "mascot" for Homeland Security..

B000001ESP.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

jenov4

Bad idea, you know teenage kids always rebel against authority. This will only increase piracy. Just like banning cigarettes to kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom