• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not a game pass or subscription guy at all, BUT...

MacReady13

I'm not a game pass or subscription guy at all, and especially when it comes to gaming BUT, I am weirdly drawn to the Series X this console gen so far.

I have no idea what it is, as last gen I started with the Xbox One but after a while got lured over to the PS4 and it was my main console for the whole generation.

I assumed that the PS5 would continue that trend, what with near full backwards compatibility, VR support and all those Sony exclusives yet somehow, I find myself buying most, if not ALL of my games, on the Series X.

Don't get me wrong- I will still get the PSVR2 and buying the Sony exclusives (even if I do think the majority of them are overrated) yet I am slowly making the shift towards Xbox again, even if I completely disagree on their move towards a subscription based service (as long as I can still purchase games though I don't care if they go for the sub service).

Anyone else feel like this or is it just me? I truly do feel like Sony is getting the messaging wrong this gen and seem to care less about the gamer than Microsoft do. Maybe i'm reading things incorrectly... I'm not too sure. But I consider myself an OG Xbox fan as I was around for the original Xbox, was at the midnight launch for the 360 as well as the launch for the Xbox One. And I always saw Microsoft as an extension (at one point) of Sega once they left the console space.

In saying that I was a fan of the PS1, had a PS2 at launch and did the same with the PS3, so I'm a bit of a Sony Playstation fanboy at heart as well.

Thoughts people? Anyone else feel like this or is this just a ME thing?

LectureMaster

Gold Member
GIF by Acorn TV

Hugare

You didnt give us any reasons for your sudden interest for the Series X, so how could us agree with you on anything?

"Sony is getting the messaging wrong this gen and seem to care less about the gamer than Microsoft do". Why? Whats the reason for you to think that?

Game Pass? But you also said "I completely disagree on their move towards a subscription based service", so probably not

You really should take some time to explain your line of thought before posting, OP

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
Microsoft is always a step ahead of Sony when it comes to ecosystems (sociability, virtual store, and now Game Pass). Having content on their ecosystem feels better than Sony's so I get it.

With that said, come to PC (primarily Steam). Come to the light, OP.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Nah. I’ve got my apples in the basket that I like. Besides, It only takes a single announcement of a game from either side to fuel that excitement. I also want Japanese games more than I want a long list of games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m a full on PC gamer, but if I was still on consoles I’d want the Series X.
Microsoft has been making all the right moves, and after all of their acquisitions there’s just no way I could go without them.

Not to discount Sony’s fantastic franchises, but what’s on offer just doesn’t seem as good to me.

MacReady13

You didnt give us any reasons for your sudden interest for the Series X, so how could us agree with you on anything?

"Sony is getting the messaging wrong this gen and seem to care less about the gamer than Microsoft do". Why? Whats the reason for you to think that?

Game Pass? But you also said "I completely disagree on their move towards a subscription based service", so probably not

You really should take some time to explain your line of thought before posting, OP
I clearly wrote that I have no idea what it is... hence why I am asking the question.

Sony getting the messaging wrong- well it seems to me Microsoft seems to be showing more care for the gamers. Sony complaining about backwards compatibility, complaining about Call of Duty being on Xbox game pass etc etc. Seems they aren't really focused on the gamer like they were during the PS4 era.

Game Pass is a rental service so not my thing. Not too sure why that is such a hard concept to grasp for some here... Both Microsoft and Sony (and to a lesser degree Nintendo) are doing it so I'm not sure what the issue here is.

As for explaining my thoughts, I think I put some effort into explaining what I needed. I clearly stated I have no idea why I am favoring Xbox over PS5 and wanted some others to maybe help explain something I may not be seeing but is happening in the backround would help me to understand this sudden shift in thinking.

Sw0pDiller

Why do you need us to tell you why you like something? I think MS is pulling out all stops to get ahead in the game. They clearly stated that they could not compete with Sony and Nintendo on their terms so they made their own. And they are funding it trough the infinite wealth of immensely succesfull office, Windows and cloud sales. It's hard not to love their strategy from a consumer standpoint.

Last edited:

Ellery

I personally feel like they both offer me a lot as a gamer. I have gamepass running and a PS5 and it feels more like they complement each other (at least for my personal gaming taste, it might vary for you) pretty well and not directly compete at every single same niche game.

On PS5 it is more single player full immersive mode couch and TV and for gamepass I play Forza with music to relax a bit, some indies to get that old feel of nostalgia back paired with modern minds and fresh ideas, Gears and a few other games multiplayer with mates on PC and so on.

The new higher PS subscription tiers look somewhat weak to me personally since I had high hopes for PS1 classics, but no luck so far. So I am not subbed to that currently.

As far as "caring about the gamers" goes I think that they swapped or are in the process of swapping positions. Sony is going the way of the profit right now and Microsoft is accumulating userbase and building infrastructure and acquisitions. Eventually if things go as planned for Microsoft the roles will reverse and Sony will be in the need to care about the gamers again.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I don't know about anyone else, but I for one am VERY much aware of the personal gaming habits of 'MacReady13', and I spend a lot of time thinking about them, so this thread title makes complete sense to me, and isn't insane in the slightest.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m simple person, i buy any system if the give me the games I care about, I own Nintendo and PlayStation systems for that very reason.

So far Nintendo is giving both first party and third party Japanese games, Sony in other hand, third party Japanese games is my only reason I keeping my PlayStation, I lost interest most first party games Sony currently making.

I've been a long time Playstation gamer. I was considering purchasing a Series X at the start of the generation to keep my options open.

Yet here we are almost three years into launch, I'm enjoying the Playstation exclusives that Sony promised and with many more to come.

However I'm still trying to look for a good reason to buy the Series X/S, their first party output has been laughable compared to Sony. The PS5 has less power/performance but somehow still manages to trade blows with the Series X across many titles, and honestly if I was looking for performance I would build a PC (which I plan on doing sometime next year), which with my desired configuration would curb-stomp either console in performance, and exceed both in versatility in titles.

The PS5 even leads the consoles in terms of ray-tracing implementations when we factor in their first party titles as well, a "defining feature" for next-gen games according to some.

Then there's Dualsense, which is an awesome controller, and its new design is refreshing and comfortable. It's not a game changer but it's definitely a welcome upgrade over Dualshock 4 and the haptic feedback is a feast for the senses, especially when I'm playing games like Ghost of Tsushima.

Gamepass doesn't have any enticing options for me either, sure there's one or two good titles but I prefer the flexibility and tradition of one off purchase. However I agree that this is completely subjective on my part.

Personally, my ps5 is a Sony exclusive machine, hoping they add some more 3rd party games that aren't available on game pass sooner than later

Xbox blows Sony out of the water with backwards compatibility, not just in the amount of content, but auto hdr being mostly hit, sometimes miss, and fps boost being great.

Comes down to which exclusives you like more and if 70vs60 dollars is an issue.

Not really sure what you're asking, but I don't think you can go wrong either way

Personally, I was drawn to series x because gamepass is the shit (although you're apparently not interested), and I was also already deep into the ecosystem between friends and game collection.

I bought a ps5 right before ps+ announcement (luckily, since I was going to buy numerous games included and lineup hadn't been announced)

I can comfortably say at this point that you can't really go wrong either way.... Gamepass is a better deal but sony can catch up, sony exclusives are a better deal but Microsoft can catch up

I don't follow sales, but it feels like a wash to me

I can't tell if you have either or not, but just buy one, and get the pro version of the other in 2027 or whatever the fuck

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not gonna read all that OP, but I really hope you enjoy your videogames wherever you decide to play them on.

legacy24

yeah I play my series x way more than my ps5, I just find it better for 3rd party games with fetaures such as quick resume, auto hdr, etc. I also like the controller better. Tech wise the dualsense is a league above no doubt but when it comes down to ergonomics and comfort the xbox controller is just better.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
TL:DR you felt for the hype over the PlayStation last gen, found out the exclusives were overhyped.

If you aren't interested in exclusives on either side, then it doesn't really matter what platform you prefer, other than friends, which controller, achievements over trophies or vice versa.

MacReady13

Wow. This seemed to have really triggered some people. Just wanted some opinions or peoples thoughts on why I may be thinking this way but I guess I rubbed some people the wrong way. Sheesh. Sorry for trying to start a civil discussion.

Quick Resume, Community Groups (LFG), Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos and the UI.

You can use your old Controllers with Series S/X Games

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I don’t understand what you are trying to convey, OP. So you aren’t a sub guy/gal, butttt you are….kind of?….
Also - As far as I understand, you explained you kind of enjoy Sony, but at heart you are an Xbox person, and you are buying most games on Xbox??
Sooooo, why is this a thread? You are just professing your fanboyism for Xbox, no thread necessary, is there?
Unless of course, I’m missing something 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

AdamTank83

Neo Member
I'm not a game pass or subscription guy at all, and especially when it comes to gaming BUT, I am weirdly drawn to the Series X this console gen so far.

I have no idea what it is, as last gen I started with the Xbox One but after a while got lured over to the PS4 and it was my main console for the whole generation.

I assumed that the PS5 would continue that trend, what with near full backwards compatibility, VR support and all those Sony exclusives yet somehow, I find myself buying most, if not ALL of my games, on the Series X.

Don't get me wrong- I will still get the PSVR2 and buying the Sony exclusives (even if I do think the majority of them are overrated) yet I am slowly making the shift towards Xbox again, even if I completely disagree on their move towards a subscription based service (as long as I can still purchase games though I don't care if they go for the sub service).

Anyone else feel like this or is it just me? I truly do feel like Sony is getting the messaging wrong this gen and seem to care less about the gamer than Microsoft do. Maybe i'm reading things incorrectly... I'm not too sure. But I consider myself an OG Xbox fan as I was around for the original Xbox, was at the midnight launch for the 360 as well as the launch for the Xbox One. And I always saw Microsoft as an extension (at one point) of Sega once they left the console space.

In saying that I was a fan of the PS1, had a PS2 at launch and did the same with the PS3, so I'm a bit of a Sony Playstation fanboy at heart as well.

Thoughts people? Anyone else feel like this or is this just a ME thing?
I'm the exact same way. I got a ps1 as soon as I could and PS2 on launch, got a Xbox the day after it came out and bought a memory card with it(I didn't know about the hard drive at the time. I was around 16). I also felt like it was a continuation of the DreamCast, especially with Shenmue II on it and Jet Set Radio and so on. Got a 360 a half a year after launch, PS3 right after they got rid of the backwards compatible Big Boy, PS4 on launch day, Xbox One a month or two later, Xbox One X on day of launch, PS4 pro the day of launch PS5 on launch and Xbox Series X was 3 months after launch and Xbox Series S 6 months after launch and I honestly play my PS5 more because my son has the Series X in his room and plays that with all his friends and my little girl has the Series S, I like all of the consoles but I've been leaning towards Xbox a lot more lately, they just seem a lot more consumer friendly and more apt to help then the PlayStation Customer Support. Also I use Gamepass Ultimate on the PC and series systems and have been greatly more satisfied with them. Maybe because I've enjoyed Xbox's games more. I like Horizon forbidden West but there was absolutely no replay ability for me. I beat it and that was it, never touched it again, same with Rachet, Returnal I got tired of after 3rd Biome, I guess I got tired of dying and facing same thing over and over. I did love Miles Morales but it was short but I play that over and over and over. I cannot wait for God of War Ragnarok though and on Xbox, I've enjoyed Forza Horizon a lot more then I ever thought I would(I don't like racing games at all). For some reason I'm in love with this one. Halo Infinite's Campaign I fell in love with and was so much like the old ones but the multiplayer was horrible and still no split screen co-op, I've been waiting to play this with my son forever. Gears 5 with new graphics or whatever sucks, it's gone down hill since Epic sold it. I love the quick resume on Xbox. Playstation should find a way to do this, it's great. I also like the Xbox's home dash and everything better then Ps5. But Xbox with that proprietary ssd screams vita but I've got one anyways but ps5 was great to let us find our own PCIe 4 ssd. I guess the bottom line is I love both Systems but I've been migrating towards the Xbox because of how much more consumer friendly they have been this gen with the 60 dollar games and and free upgrades instead of paying for remakes or paying for other crap, but I know some ps games upgrade for free on ps5, like days gone and Ghost of Tsushima, I just think Xbox has had a better handle on consumer friendly practices since Phil Spencer came in and did things his way. I just wanna say I am a fanboy of all 3 systems and PC out there and been a gamer my whole life when I started on the NES with my brother showing me Arcon and super mario and duck hunt. Since then it doesn't matter which system I've got or anything else. Good games are good games and that's all I need in this life to make me a happy Gamer. I don't see why other people have to "Choose" one system or another. Games are here for fun, not to hate on. Anyways, I'm so sorry for the long rant, it's just I'm so tired of seeing console warriors on here down talking other games just because they are on a different system, be happy that there is a Microsoft to go against Sony so it will push each other to make better games. And let Nintendo be Nintendo haha. Sorry. Anyways, take care all, that's my 2 cents. Lay into me now for the long whining post. I'm ready for it. I'm just gonna ignore it. Haha. Later

Last edited:

Lupin25

I clearly wrote that I have no idea what it is... hence why I am asking the question.

Sony getting the messaging wrong- well it seems to me Microsoft seems to be showing more care for the gamers. Sony complaining about backwards compatibility, complaining about Call of Duty being on Xbox game pass etc etc. Seems they aren't really focused on the gamer like they were during the PS4 era.

Game Pass is a rental service so not my thing. Not too sure why that is such a hard concept to grasp for some here... Both Microsoft and Sony (and to a lesser degree Nintendo) are doing it so I'm not sure what the issue here is.

As for explaining my thoughts, I think I put some effort into explaining what I needed. I clearly stated I have no idea why I am favoring Xbox over PS5 and wanted some others to maybe help explain something I may not be seeing but is happening in the backround would help me to understand this sudden shift in thinking.

Maybe BC is the only selling point for you. If that’s the case you didn’t need either next-gen console for that lol.

What does company jargon and industry spats have to do with you as a gamer? Who cares what either company has to cry about?

So Sony is giving you all these new experiences, but doesn’t care about the gamer? What about new experiences?

Last edited:

El Muerto

I bought a Xbone S when they released and preferred it over my PS4. Bought a PS5, got upset that most games wont get an upgrade and if they do then you have to pay to upgrade. Saw the Series X was getting free updates for games both from the developer and gameboost so bought a Series X. So far i've been playing it more than my PS5. With gamepass, backwards compatiblity across all gens, microsoft rewards, kodi, and retroarch, i dont see a reason why to own a PS5 for other than exclusives (which seem to be coming to pc now) or PSVR2 which i might get.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I play on my Series S and PS4 more than my PS5 and XSX. But that's mostly because I put the bigger consoles upstairs, the smaller ones are downstairs in my office, and I'm too lazy to climb the stairs when I want to play games.

I'm a physical owner guy, who only gets digital if the price is ridiculously cheap, and I wasn't that big on GP, however when I could update my three years of xbox live to GP Ultimate for $1? Well, I would be retarded if I didn't take it up.

Top Bottom