• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not so sure the PSVR 2 will succeed, and may fall short like the first one. (PSVR2+PS5 may potentially cost $1,040 with two games)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Some yes, some no. Even for the ones that are across both, you will likely see a good quality difference and that counts for the immersion.

9 out of the recently announced 11 PSVR2 titles are on or coming to Quest 2, and some of the trailers are literally copy paste from Quest 2 ones. If you insist the visual or gameplay of Tentacular or Pistol Whip is vastly better on PSVR2 I have no words for you.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's not going to do much better than psvr1. It has a finite user group, and it hasn't grown much. Until vr takes the next steps as outlined below, the vast majority of the general public won't care. And I say this as a quest 2 owner that will likely buy psvr2.

- higher resolution panels (2k per eye is still way too low for the size of display they are putting in front of us)
- increased fov
- much lighter / cooler / easier to wear
- full aaa title support. I when I say full, I mean not one or 2 games, and for the whole generation.
- wireless

Last edited:

Three

9 out of the recently announced 11 PSVR2 titles are on or coming to Quest 2, and some of the trailers are literally copy paste from Quest 2 ones. If you insist the visual or gameplay of Tentacular or Pistol Whip is vastly better on PSVR2 I have no words for you.
Even for something as simple looking as Pistol whip, Pistol whip on PSVR2 has 4kHDR support. Quest 2 doesn't even support HDR at all.

Not to mention field of view, res, or controller feature differences.

So i dont see how somebody saying you "would see a good quality difference and that counts for the immersion" leaves you speechless. The PSVR2 + PS5 combo is obviously going to give you better quality than a Quest 2. That's not exactly controversial.

Drizzlehell

Banned
zyzz-did.gif

That was a genuinely interesting analysis and it really puts things in perspective for someone like me who has a PC VR headset and was considering PSVR2 for my PS5 but didn't really follow the news on it too closely. And with those recent news about PSVR2 not being backwards compatibile with PSVR titles, well, that just sounds like a joke to me. I'm definitely the target audience for VR gaming but I can already tell that I'm gonna skip on this thing right now because the price of admission is just too steep and there's very little to show for it.

Seems like Sony just can't nail it when it comes to those extra peripherals. I remember even back in the day when PS Move came out, it didn't seem as popular as they probably wanted it to be, mostly due to lack of actual games to use it with.

drezz

Well too be fair, the controllers will do a bunch of lifting it above what we experience on Quest 2.
The triggers alone in Pistol Whip can be a REALLY cool addition if we look to how PS5 games have taken advantage of the triggers there.

Fidelity obviously goes up, and a prettier screen to see them will really help.
But... Vastly better its not, but surley a overall improvment;some more then others like the controllers.

Tentacular I dont know, but at least the haptic feedback would do some, to better the experience(not to mention the visuals).

A trend we will see with every game that is ported from Quest 2 coming forward.

Still going to need a lot of games for PSVR2.
Im hoping we see some Cod, GTA6 and future PS5 FPS titles implement VR fully for thoose that have the headset.
Time will tell!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You are hedging your words well there. No, not vastly better visuals even compared to Quest 2 tethered to a PC, but still better due to the higher resolution and HDR alone it is possible.

You will also have ported PSVR1 games with enhancements (free PSVR2 patch) will get there too and we have other games that are exclusive like H: CotM that are definitely pushing the HW forward. We will see in the launch window and the rest of the first year anyways.

Launch lineups not being the end all be all of software lineups for a console is not news either so not sure the point you are making there.

ArtHands

Even for something as simple looking as Pistol whip, Pistol whip on PSVR2 has 4kHDR support. Quest 2 doesn't even support HDR at all.

Not to mention field of view, res, or controller feature differences.

So i dont see how somebody saying you "would see a good quality difference and that counts for the immersion" leaves you speechless. The PSVR2 + PS5 combo is obviously going to give you better quality than a Quest 2. That's not exactly controversial.

Ohh those subtle stuffs. I honestly thought he meant that its going to provide some out of the world gameplay not possible on Quest 2

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ohh those subtle stuffs. I honestly thought he meant that its going to provide some out of the world gameplay not possible on Quest 2
Oh well, you make your own arguments up and win them ;)? Interesting… now sorry back to downplaying the improvements in PSVR2: higher resolution, better controllers, HDR visuals, etc…? Cherry on the cake would be if you were taking this stance and were also one of those that cried murder when PS3’s Sixaxis controlled dropped rumble (due to the suit with Immersion).

Again, we will see with the 2 out of 11 titles announced so far you left out and for the other 9 how these enhancements affect the overall experience of the game. Subtle things that can make a bigger difference than you may want to admit when immersion is the key word to the VR experience. Also, not looking forward to any other game but the launch day lineup ;)?

ArtHands

Oh well, you make your own arguments up and win them ;)? Interesting… now sorry back to downplaying the improvements in PSVR2: higher resolution, better controllers, HDR visuals, etc…? Cherry on the cake would be if you were taking this stance and were also one of those that cried murder when PS3’s Sixaxis controlled dropped rumble (due to the suit with Immersion).

Again, we will see with the 2 out of 11 titles announced so far you left out and for the other 9 how these enhancements affect the overall experience of the game. Subtle things that can make a bigger difference than you may want to admit when immersion is the key word to the VR experience. Also, not looking forward to any other game but the launch day lineup ;)?

I doubt so. But I am glad we can all agree that its going to be mostly Quest 2 ports or the same games on PSVR2.

Struggle to look forward to any other game since I can also play them on Quest 2 or PCVR like Among Us VR or No Man’s Sky. I’ll be playing TWD Saints & Sinners Retribution this Dec while I wait for more PSVR2 titles announcement

Resenge

I doubt so. But I am glad we can all agree that its going to be mostly Quest 2 ports or the same games on PSVR2.

Struggle to look forward to any other game since I can also play them on Quest 2 or PCVR like Among Us VR or No Man’s Sky. I’ll be playing TWD Saints & Sinners Retribution this Dec while I wait for more PSVR2 titles announcement
Just like any new console release it's mostly cross platform games that bolster the 1 or 2 exclusives. Aint nothing new.

Last edited:

Lol. You hate boner for psvr2 is hilarious 😂

Yeah that looks the same

Yeah the PS5 certainly destroys the Quest 2 hardware wise. Now pair the Quest 2 with a powerful PC and that can change to a certain extent. However the Quest 2 hardware is overall inferior to PSVR2s so some things can't be fixed like the lower screen resolution for example among other things.

SLB1904

Banned
Yeah the PS5 certainly destroys the Quest 2 hardware wise. Now pair the Quest 2 with a powerful PC and that can change to a certain extent. However the Quest 2 hardware is overall inferior to PSVR2s so some things can't be fixed like the lower screen resolution for example among other things.
Yeah but the thread tile is how you have to spend a billion dollar with psvr2 😜

Black omnipotent

Neo Member
Folks that understand technology and labor and also time and a bright future will get it, we can't stand in a twilight zone expecting CHEAP STUFF, the future is costly, and moving forward; if you are Broke don't get it, if your funds are Up, Then get it, stop complaining like little teen girls and get your money up, I respect this great Sony tech. 👍

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Shall I just give you access to my account so you can even more easily make both sides of the discussion :LOL:?

Without the PC attached, games like NMS are going to be vastly different between Quest 2 and PSVR2 also I expect the jump to be pretty massive between the PSVR1 and PSVR2 versions of the title. “Oh yeah but you can connect a PC and PS5 is not cheap” and we are back on the price differential being quite in favour of PSVR2 (looking like a good deal).

With VR, resolution + dynamic range of colours (HDR) + FoV + visual detail + frame rate… visual quality in general matters quite a lot, even for the same games. You are trying to handwave away and minimise visual differences in a medium where they can still be pretty key to the immersion factor which in itself is the reason you play with VR headsets to begin with 🤷‍♂️.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's ok for PSVR2 to not be a massive hit, its obvious that Sony doesnt expect it to be with their mediocre investment in it here. Not everything needs to be defended so hard.

Its not going to do that well.

ArtHands

Shall I just give you access to my account so you can even more easily make both sides of the discussion :LOL:?

Without the PC attached, games like NMS are going to be vastly different between Quest 2 and PSVR2 also I expect the jump to be pretty massive between the PSVR1 and PSVR2 versions of the title. “Oh yeah but you can connect a PC and PS5 is not cheap” and we are back on the price differential being quite in favour of PSVR2 (looking like a good deal).

With VR, resolution + dynamic range of colours (HDR) + FoV + visual detail + frame rate… visual quality in general matters quite a lot, even for the same games. You are trying to handwave away and minimise visual differences in a medium where they can still be pretty key to the immersion factor which in itself is the reason you play with VR headsets to begin with 🤷‍♂️.

I wouldn’t say its hand wave, especially considering even the devs isn’t bother to use these to sell their PSVR2 games from the trailers.

ArtHands

But anyway, PSVR 2 isn't going to be judged on the Quest ports, you are acting like all we will see is that. (Actually going forward I think you'll find that Devs will make the game for PSVR 2/PC and then downscale the games for wireless Quest, so really Quest will be getting the ports)

You proved my point...same game.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm definitely in 2minds about this, keeping swinging back and forth between day1 or waiting a year and see how the library expands, so far the only thing I've seen that screams buy it is Horizon & Resi8 plus Starwars for the Kid, I need to see some bigger better games, NMS I'll give another shot but I'd love to see a proper port of Skyrim+mods (I know ain't happening) and at least Alyx within launch window, those Quest2 ports look awful and o boy did they miss and trick and not develop a new Astro Bot for it.

Has there been any mention about in built video player app? I've a ton of 3D blurays and loads of 3D rips, I'm one of those that actually liked 3D movies, have still held onto my Sony X93c to play them on occasion but I'd love a huge cinema type app for this + 3D audio headphones, would make for a great movie experience when everyone has fucked off to bed

ArtHands

I'm definitely in 2minds about this, keeping swinging back and forth between day1 or waiting a year and see how the library expands, so far the only thing I've seen that screams buy it is Horizon & Resi8 plus Starwars for the Kid, I need to see some bigger better games, NMS I'll give another shot but I'd love to see a proper port of Skyrim+mods (I know ain't happening) and at least Alyx within launch window, those Quest2 ports look awful and o boy did they miss and trick and not develop a new Astro Bot for it.

Has there been any mention about in built video player app? I've a ton of 3D blurays and loads of 3D rips, I'm one of those that actually liked 3D movies, have still held onto my Sony X93c to play them on occasion but I'd love a huge cinema type app for this + 3D audio headphones, would make for a great movie experience when everyone has fucked off to bed

No mention of build in video player app. and hey some people claim those apps are totally different from Quest 2 so they should look great.

midnightAI

They are literally the same game with the same gameplay. You are unhappy I guess, but ok.
oh, sorry, thought you wanted a comparison between PSVR 2 and Quest (seeing as how PSVR 2 will 'only' be getting ports.

Fine...

And that's just announced ones, we don't yet have the full launch list and so there may be more surprises (Firesprites horror game maybe?)

Last edited:

Resenge

oh, sorry, thought you wanted a comparison between PSVR 2 and Quest (seeing as how PSVR 2 will 'only' be getting ports.

Fine...

And that's just announced ones, we don't yet have the full launch list and so there may be more surprises (Firesprites horror game maybe?)

Super excited for Switchback and Firewall.

midnightAI

It's ok for PSVR2 to not be a massive hit, its obvious that Sony doesnt expect it to be with their mediocre investment in it here. Not everything needs to be defended so hard.

Its not going to do that well.
Modest investment, where do you get that from? has Sony released their financials about PSVR 2 development?

Or are you talking about marketing? It's still 3 months out so you can't judge that yet (I still believe we will get a PSVR 2 state of play or full Sony showcase soon(ish)).

drezz

Fine...

Im super exicted for Crossfire
Even if the Crossfire games on other platforms have had a bunch of miss and "okay" games, this one seems like a good mix of a Cod looking shooter with Time Crisis (The red circle indicator when you are about to be hit) but free roaming and not peak and fire linear based.
4Player coop military shooter is just what im looking for, just hope it is crossplatform so I can play with others that dont have PSVR2.

midnightAI

Im super exicted for Crossfire
Even if the Crossfire games on other platforms have had a bunch of miss and "okay" games, this one seems like a good mix of a Cod looking shooter with Time Crisis (The red circle indicator when you are about to be hit) but free roaming and not peak and fire linear based.
4Player coop military shooter is just what im looking for, just hope it is crossplatform so I can play with others that dont have PSVR2.

I don't know why, but I didnt include that one because I thought it was cross platform (as in coming to Quest 2). But yeh, looks good.

Last edited:

drezz

I don't know why, but I didnt include that one because I thought it was cross platform (as in coming to Quest 2). But yeh, looks good.
Thats great!
Just means I get to play 4player with non PS5 owners... If it has crossplay suppoert? Like After the fall.

Will be great too see the differences between PSVR2 and Quest 2 when it comes out.

midnightAI

Thats great!
Just means I get to play 4player with non PS5 owners... If it has crossplay suppoert? Like After the fall.

Will be great too see the differences between PSVR2 and Quest 2 when it comes out.
Well, I think it may be exclusive, I just wasn't certain (still not), but looking at the trailer more closely I don't think it will be on Quest (native) without major cutbacks

drezz

Well, I think it may be exclusive, I just wasn't certain (still not), but looking at the trailer more closely I don't think it will be on Quest (native) without major cutbacks
That was my orginal tought as well, a quick google and I can't see anywhere saying its on Quest 2... Hoping for PCVR then, with crossplay.
If not, then at least I can play it solo.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Modest investment, where do you get that from? has Sony released their financials about PSVR 2 development?

Or are you talking about marketing? It's still 3 months out so you can't judge that yet (I still believe we will get a PSVR 2 state of play or full Sony showcase soon(ish)).

Well, yeah. You may be right. Let's look to see how it plays out by February.

Modest investment I mean, little interest to have anything but meta quest 2 ports and one game in Horizon.

Where are the big Sony invested AAA titles like Half Life Alyx...where is the port for half life Alyx? That would be the first port of call for any big headset launching. Also, named ports for stuff like Astro bot from PSVR 1.

Why would you wait to announce this stuff and not make a big splash of excitement at announcement. Its just got me confused 😕

Last edited:

drezz

Half Life Alyx port
I'd think its 50/50 for that game in particular.
Either way im sure games are in the pipe for both VR and flatscreen, many in AAA territory. And them beeing hybrid is more and more likely.
Thinking again, GTA6 with hybrid.
That would be a real boost for both VR and Hybrid games in general, just hoping one or the either dont end up beeing a shackle too the main game.

Little Timmy's mind be blown watching private strippers show in VR on GTA6 while parents are crying in the doorway-

midnightAI

Well, yeah. You may be right. Let's look to see how it plays out by February.

Modest investment I mean, little interest to have anything but meta quest 2 ports and one game in Horizon.

Where are the big Sony invested AAA titles like Half Life Alyx...where is the port for half life Alyx? That would be the first port of call for any big headset launching. Also, named ports for stuff like Astro bot from PSVR 1.

Why would you wait to announce this stuff and not make a big splash of excitement at announcement. Its just got me confused 😕
Like I said, I really do believe that Sony is holding out their other first party games/major third party games for some form of showcase/state of play.
Insomniac are VR experts (Stormland is amazing) so I wouldnt be surprised if they are working on something, Firesprite too have a horror game in the works (other than Horizon), London Studio and Asobi both made games for PSVR 1 and both studios have been used previously to show off hardware (Asobi made astrobot for VR, camera, PS5 included game, London Studio made VR worlds/PSVR demo disc). There are also rumours of a new Wipeout game for PSVR 2 that isnt a port of Wipeout VR for PSVR 1 but I'd just be happy with a port to be honest.

Tams

Gold Member
Hahahahaha you don't need try hide why you really want the video player.
Cheaper to get some N Real Airs for that though.

Edit: Plus, with them not being entirely enclosed, you'll be able to make sure you don't make too much of a mess/leave too much evidence.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Fine...

A grand total of 4 games is a minority against the numerous ports from Quest 2 tbh.

ArtHands

But you are saying the visuals are better.

Paramount Network Kelly GIF by Yellowstone

If you don't like PSVR2 you need to stop making a case for it. It makes you look bad IMO.

I doubt so. I was told there's a quality difference, but those games on PSVR2 ain't have wireless in return for better visual, which makes them rather on par.

It’s pretty clear there are two things holding back PSVR2. The price and the library. Once costs come down (or Sony is willing to take a loss) the only thing missing will be a killer app. Sony needs a big exclusive that gets people excited and brings in impulse buyers who would not have otherwise considered VR.

I think we’re getting closer. It I don’t see what it would be. For me, I’d be thrilled with what may be coming in the not so distant future. RE8, a new Astro Bot game, Half-Life: Alyx. But I don’t see a Halo type game changer exclusive that will drive adoption of the platform for people who haven’t been enticed by VR yet. A $300 price point and that one game would make all the difference.

Top Bottom