• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry Ryu, Kratos, and Dante, but Bayonetta still has better 3D Action combat than you

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I like GOW, NG, and DMC as franchises overall and like Ryu, Kratos, and Dante more as characters, I'm just talking about the combat. I'm sorry my friends. Bayonetta is deeper and better.

Bayonetta 3 has the deepest combat by far. Adding the summons and a bunch of new combat deepening on top of the already best ever combat of Bayonetta, Bayonetta 3 has the best and most deep combat of all time for a 3D action melee brawler.

Sorry about the cruddy music this guy puts in the video but check out these combos

My fellow Bayonetta fans
Give-Me-Paw-Spaceballs.gif

arrested-development-david-cross.gif

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
She also still looks like an emo douchebag from 15 years ago. What an awful design. I don't know how anyone could look at that for the 8 hours or whatever it takes to play one of those games.

1) Ninja Gaiden. Love the sense of weight and impact.

2) DMCV. Flashy and fluid. The best at juggling enemies.

3) Bayonetta. Has the best dodge mechanic with witch time. It's too chaotic, though. The summons are fun but clunky.

God of War (modern) has a good parry system and feels very brutal, but it's so basic compared with the others.

Does Vanquish count?

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Damn GAF, God of War is....

Star Girl GIF by Erica Nlewedim
To be fair, you’re probably the games most ardent defender on Gaf.

I think Ninja Gaiden Black is still the king but I appreciate all these combat systems.

I don’t know if any action game will surpass Ninja Gaiden Black, for me, in terms of pure combat action.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
1) Ninja Gaiden. Love the sense of weight and impact.

2) DMCV. Flashy and fluid. The best at juggling enemies.

3) Bayonetta. Has the best dodge mechanic with witch time. It's too chaotic, though. The summons are fun but clunky.

God of War (modern) has a good parry system and feels very brutal, but it's so basic compared with the others.

Does Vanquish count?
Ninja Gaiden Black is my favourite overall 3D action melee brawler my friends, but the combat is not that deep or balanced and some moves are way OP like the Flying Swallow,

Doom85

The first Ryu I think of is from Street Fighter, so I was initially baffled from your title why he was being criticized for not having good 3D action when Street Fighter isn’t even a 3D fighting game. Then I saw the post and I was like, “oh, the Ninja Gaiden guy, gotcha.”

daveonezero

Banned
I just started playing bayo 1. It’s fun I have no idea what I’m doing.

I still feel like Ninja Gaiden made me feel the most badass. I loved the mechanic of landing and getting instant charge attacks.

I keep playing Bayo with the sword like it is Ninja Gaiden.

Bayo is just completely different and will take some time to learn. I’m getting all sorts of stone rewards. But turning on auto combos makes things look crazy.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Let's not get crazy. GOW is sensational.
Compared to the others, even the OG series which is a tier better than the current one in terms of combat, doesn't belong with Bayo, NG, or DMC.
Ninja Gaiden Black is my favourite overall 3D action melee brawler my friends, but the combat is not that deep or balanced and some moves are way OP like the Flying Swallow,
You said Ninja Gaiden Black and then brought up the Flying Swallow which was nerfed to hell in that game. It was easy to spam it for fast wins in the OG version but not in Black where almost every boss blocks it and leaves you wide open for a punish. Even basic bitch enemies can defend against it in Black and using it against powerful enemies like those laser-firing-one-eyed giant cyclops crabs is just asking to get punk'd.

Last edited:

Gaiff

As far as character action, i think Ninja Gaiden is by far the best. but that's probably just me.
Nah, not just you. Ninja Gaiden is sleek and oozes with style and you can feel the weight and pain behind every move. Bayonetta is too flashy and too much shit goes on in the screen at one. Granted, it's probably number 1 in terms of sheer "what the fuck you can do with your playstyle" but I find NG's slightly simpler style and clean combat better.

No need to have 50 missiles and a bullet hail to make a good action game. NGB and NGII to me are still the gold standard. Vanquish is also pretty damn good.

Last edited:

RaduN

Call me crazy, but i think DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden Black are still the sweetspot when it comes to depth vs bloat.
Sequels are formidable in their own rights, but they became way too bloated and unfocused.

Recent (and old) Gow games are perfectly enjoyable, but can not be compared with those games in terms of combat depth. Their success lies in the flash, not substance.

DMC3 still has the best combat of the DMC games imo. DMC5 just focuses everything on tryhard juggles. Enemies feel like training dummies and your toolkit is too loose and broken compared to said enemies which makes the game a cakewalk.

Last edited:

Soltype

Yeah it's had the best combat since the first game, having forced defense makes for a more engaging game.

Labolas

Bayo definitely has my favorite style of action, Bayo3 is definitely the most creative with the weapon variety and is a top tier action game but I think that DMC and Ninja Gaiden deserve a place at the top as well. After all, Bayo, DMC, and Ninja Gaiden are considered the 3 kings of combat. Sorry GOW fans, but it's true.

Last edited:

Vick

Those here saying GoW 2018/Ragnarok combat is not deep, or how the older ones were a tier above (!) are either completely fucking crazy, or just repeating what others who never played the games said.

Those systems could be in fact the most pure definition of depth as they 100% suit every playstyle, from the normal, boring looking regular players composing the entirety of whatever Youtube walkthrough many of you saw, to above average players:

To superhuman players:

Game holds. Even attempting to describe the freedom and possibilities it gives you would be a challenge of his own, and this just regarding the 2018 one, cannot even imagine what Ragnarok would allow to pull of in the endgame.

Not sure why it's compared to completely different kind of action systems, but saying it lacks depth is:

CircularAncientEnglishpointer-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Hot5pur

God of War should not be in this list, and the more recent entries even less so. Original GoWs is tier 2 action. New GoW is tier 3 alongside stuff like Darksiders, newer assassin's Creed games, Godfall, etc

Tier 1 is Bayo, DMC and Gaiden (revengeance and vanquish is close too).

I would say each has their strengths and weaknesses, but style/action/technical wise I'd give it to DMC. Then Gaiden and Bayo. Bayo I always saw as a bit "messy" and Gaiden is more single weapon at a time kinda deal. Personally for me the Gaiden series is my fav. Those games hold up so well, glad they released that master collection at 4k. Third game kinda meh.

Top Bottom