• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry Ryu, Kratos, and Dante, but Bayonetta still has better 3D Action combat than you

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
2e9.gif

Chukhopops

I can’t decide between Bayo 3 and DMC5, both are incredible in completely different ways. It’s a tie for me.

Everything else though is a couple steps below, even Bayo 1/2 feels ancient compared to 3.

Reactions: Isa

Vick

Gold Member
God of War should not be in this list, and the more recent entries even less so. Original GoWs is tier 2 action. New GoW is tier 3 alongside stuff like Darksiders, newer assassin's Creed games, Godfall, etc
the-office-walk-away.gif

Fitting avatar.

Do we talk pre-2018 Kratos (aka. the god of hack n slash) or 2018-now Kratos (aka. boring walking simulator)?
The deepest system of course, so the "Best Game of all Time" iteration by a country mile.

"It's about the skills, because alot of the time in DMC or Bayonetta you kind of button mash your way into victory, you can't do that with God of War. It's very much about the precision of what's going on around you, and because it's so tightly controlled, because it's so well designed, you're able to maintain that control the entire way through, and it's just absolutely brilliant."
"You can craft new sets of armors, and within each of those they all have their own different stats that can actually unlock different play-styles if you want it. If you want to specialize in your abilities being really low cooled down that's what you can do, if you just want to punch and kick shit to death, there's an armor set specifically for punching and kicking shit to death. Like there's build diversity in a GoW game ffs, that's how good it is and it's not just token, it's really meaningful differences in how you play this game based upon how you chose to gear yourself.
So those are the gameplay systems and you might think of what I just said and being "yeah okay that sounds okay".. i can't explain to you how good this gameplay feels."
- SkillUp

Boring walking simulator with SkillUp (DMC/Bayonetta fanboy) favorite combat system in gaming, as he stated in the Ragnarok review.

Such a boring walking simulation, people question whether its high level gameplay is result of hacks:

Ian Cassady
The combos are amazing BUT the combos with the speed of how he’s transitions weapons is what really is blowing my mind. How his attacks don’t have any break at all. Completely flawless.......

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy
I dont even think is possible anyways, he cheat the games somehow like that dude with camera, you cant to them transitions like that, he skipping the animations somehow ive tried a lot of times and cant do that because there are animations goin on he hacked the game.

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle
He has multiple videos explaining how he does it. But I still don’t know how he cancels animations. But he isn’t the only one that’s been able to do it.

@ The Fire Fades swear i tried so so many times, is not working man, and im not a noob, im playing games since nintendo famicom

@ GodsBattle Yeah I’ve tried too, it’s difficult.

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle
the issue with trying to accomplish what you see in this video (may hours of trial and error) is that the button inputs must be extremely fast and precise. It is in fact possible to do every combo you see in this video. But you must play for hours upon hours to achieve that speed and be very comfortable with the controls. Keep trying! You’ll be a god of war soon!

Thanos
@ GodsBattle
It's either you're doing the combos too fast or too slow. If you had listened to GBG about the timing between the combos you'd be able to pull it off. Just because you're unable to achieve this doesn't mean no one else can, that just goes to show that GBG is on a completely different level compared to everyone else

FAkcUR4X0AI1_WV

Kataploom

Gold Member
Have played first GOW and Scarlet Nexus shortly after Bayonetta 2 recently and yeah, I keep waiting for the same quality... Scarlet Nexus lacks desperately a dodge mechanic with attack animation cancelling, but it's enjoyable on its own since it has its rules without taking too much from flagship H&S... GOW in the other hand is... It's not only simple, but even in it's simplicity it barely works and it's too frustrating by the wrong reasons (collisions for executions work if your lucky at first or second try, random QTE inputs? Lmao, combo variety? 🟥🟥🔺 profit, Infinite enemies respawning, etc etc)... That game combat system can't even stand close to bigger players, it's like comparing a random animal citizen in dragon ball to a super Saiyan, one is there to at least have something to fill the hole and the other is the real deal

Chukhopops

the-office-walk-away.gif

Fitting avatar.

The deepest system of course, so the "Best Game of all Time" iteration by a country mile.

"It's about the skills, because alot of the time in DMC or Bayonetta you kind of button mash your way into victory, you can't do that with God of War. It's very much about the precision of what's going on around you, and because it's so tightly controlled, because it's so well designed, you're able to maintain that control the entire way through, and it's just absolutely brilliant."
"You can craft new sets of armors, and within each of those they all have their own different stats that can actually unlock different play-styles if you want it. If you want to specialize in your abilities being really low cooled down that's what you can do, if you just want to punch and kick shit to death, there's an armor set specifically for punching and kicking shit to death. Like there's build diversity in a GoW game ffs, that's how good it is and it's not just token, it's really meaningful differences in how you play this game based upon how you chose to gear yourself.
So those are the gameplay systems and you might think of what I just said and being "yeah okay that sounds okay".. i can't explain to you how good this gameplay feels."
- SkillUp

Boring walking simulator with SkillUp (DMC/Bayonetta fanboy) favorite combat system in gaming, as he stated in the Ragnarok review.

Such a boring walking simulation, people question whether its high level gameplay is result of hacks:

Ian Cassady
The combos are amazing BUT the combos with the speed of how he’s transitions weapons is what really is blowing my mind. How his attacks don’t have any break at all. Completely flawless.......

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy
I dont even think is possible anyways, he cheat the games somehow like that dude with camera, you cant to them transitions like that, he skipping the animations somehow ive tried a lot of times and cant do that because there are animations goin on he hacked the game.

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle
He has multiple videos explaining how he does it. But I still don’t know how he cancels animations. But he isn’t the only one that’s been able to do it.

@ The Fire Fades swear i tried so so many times, is not working man, and im not a noob, im playing games since nintendo famicom

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle
the issue with trying to accomplish what you see in this video (may hours of trial and error) is that the button inputs must be extremely fast and precise. It is in fact possible to do every combo you see in this video. But you must play for hours upon hours to achieve that speed and be very comfortable with the controls. Keep trying! You’ll be a god of war soon!

Thanos
@ GodsBattle
It's either you're doing the combos too fast or too slow. If you had listened to GBG about the timing between the combos you'd be able to pull it off. Just because you're unable to achieve this doesn't mean no one else can, that just goes to show that GBG is on a completely different level compared to everyone else

FAkcUR4X0AI1_WV

Meanwhile Bayonetta:
GIF by ALO7 • Love to Learn

Can your guy do that?

Thought so.

Yeah, but Bayonetta 3 looks crap and runs crap on Switch so there is that. It's a great game desperately seeking better hardware to showcase it as intended. In my opinion.

Best Bayonetta game is the first one... on PC followed by the Wii U version of Bayonetta 2 on the Cemu emulator.

Last edited:

mxbison

Have played first GOW and Scarlet Nexus shortly after Bayonetta 2 recently and yeah, I keep waiting for the same quality... Scarlet Nexus lacks desperately a dodge mechanic with attack animation cancelling, but it's enjoyable on its own since it has its rules without taking too much from flagship H&S... GOW in the other hand is... It's not only simple, but even in it's simplicity it barely works and it's too frustrating by the wrong reasons (collisions for executions work if your lucky at first or second try, random QTE inputs? Lmao, combo variety? 🟥🟥🔺 profit, Infinite enemies respawning, etc etc)... That game combat system can't even stand close to bigger players, it's like comparing a random animal citizen in dragon ball to a super Saiyan, one is there to at least have something to fill the hole and the other is the real deal

The new GoW games don't even use square and triangle anymore for attacks....

Also funny how only GoW always gets shit for that when you can play Bayonetta and DMC just fine using the same combo over and over :)

anthony2690

Banned
I like the first bayonetta a lot, thought the second game was average at best and not played the third. (But according to reviews the combat is simpler)

But the combat is very simple in bayonetta, DMC, including the ninja theory game has much deeper/more interesting combat than bayonetta.

Can't say for GOW as I haven't played the reboots, well I haven't played any since the PS2 games.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don’t think fans of God of War or DMC etc actually think the action gameplay in those games are better than Bayonetta 3.

Last edited:

lordrand11

I like GOW, NG, and DMC as franchises overall and like Ryu, Kratos, and Dante more as characters, I'm just talking about the combat. I'm sorry my friends. Bayonetta is deeper and better.

Bayonetta 3 has the deepest combat by far. Adding the summons and a bunch of new combat deepening on top of the already best ever combat of Bayonetta, Bayonetta 3 has the best and most deep combat of all time for a 3D action melee brawler.

Sorry about the cruddy music this guy puts in the video but check out these combos

My fellow Bayonetta fans
Give-Me-Paw-Spaceballs.gif

arrested-development-david-cross.gif

I'm sorry Bayonetta, but your gameplay, story, and action actually peaked with Asura's Wrath and it's been the same shit ever since. Grow up and evolve the medium.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Disagree . There is not enough motivation to dethrone the 3d action combat king , DMCV Vergil

What is this wizardry? Vergil is like a drunken chimpanze in my hands.

But seriously, new God Of War shouldn't be compared to Bayo, DMC & NG, I like 2018 & Ragnarok, but it's not the same style as them anymore.

Bayo definitely isn't better than DMC either, unless it's the shat ninja theory one.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Dmc1 and NG1 on xbox are still my favourite even if they are old and not as diverse as the others, nostalgia goggles at full speed probably.

New gow games have the heaviest\meatiest animations tho, it is a pleasure to just pummel mofos to death.

Never played bayonetta but recently finished DMCV and yeah…i really hate those type of games. Much prefer GoW more impactful hard hitting combat that feels more like souls than dmc that just makes my hands hurt and tired.

I also hate the enemy types in games like bayonetta and dmc, they are just unintelligible mindless demons. Nothing about the enemy types are memorable or have any type of defining character trait to them, outside of boss battles. Thats a lot of japanese action games.

Labolas

the-office-walk-away.gif

Fitting avatar.

- SkillUp

Ian Cassady

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle

Thanos
@ GodsBattle

FAkcUR4X0AI1_WV

The mere fact that the game remove jumping should show how limiting the game even is when compared to the original games. In character action games, jumping allows you to do more stuff like enemy step, double jumps, more animation cancelling, inertia and other stuff. And I wouldn't call Skill Up a Bayo/DMC fanboy, he's on record for saying he likes GOW more. Even he says to through a Bayo or DMC all it takes is mashing which I would say that shows his real skill if that's sort of negative or knock on those games, there's a reason why there's a ranking/style meter in those games. And I wouldn't say he's a pro at those games either, so I wouldn't take his opinion too seriously or as gospel.

But again you guys are free to like to GOW, there are things to like about those games and I'm sure it's going get all the awards, and at the end of the day, isn't that what really matters?

Majukun

doesn't take much to beat kratos, ryu i would need to review again the older titles to unfog the nostalgia lens (let's avoid talking about ninja gaiden 3)
dante though? in terms of 1v1 fights dmc5 is, and probably will stay, unmatched..in terms of group fights, I find the first bayonetta to be superior (again, maybe it's the nostalgia talking), but bayo 3...I dunno...i'm not a fan of giant screen size attacks, i much more prefer the controlled attacks through wicked waves of the original over screen size attacks with demons in bayo 3 (2 is just bad)
good thing is that with a save of bayo 1 you can unlock at least the scarborough fair moveset in bayo 3 and play without demon slave..although the game is not completely balanced around it.

GymWolf

DMC5 >

Also what's with weirdos linking gameplay videos showing how they themselves DON'T play to try and validate their favorite precious action game.
Maybe they are not as good as people losing 6000 hours on the game??

Do you show a video of you playing football to show people how good how a sport football is? No, you show the elite people playing the game.

Nothing strange about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom