• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry Ryu, Kratos, and Dante, but Bayonetta still has better 3D Action combat than you

SSfox

2096726-169_dantes_inferno_video_review_xbox_360_ps3_020510.jpg

Great game, but one of the most shittiest and forgettable main character.

GymWolf

I feel like I will catch a lot of flak here but even as someone who likes Nintendo and bought a Wii U day one, I have never played Bayonetta.

I just don't like the vibe of the character or her design. The opinion was doubled down by her appearance in Smash.

A few years ago after she went N exclusive one of my friends commented on how fucking cool and awesome and sexy and badass she is. It made me feel silly to hear it, I tried not to say anything back but I think he noticed my expression lol.

This is the first time I've ever admitted that the only reason I haven't played this supposedly incredible action game is I don't like the character. I try not to judge anyone who likes her but it comes off as the kind of thing you'd like despite the character, not because of it. Unless you are 15 or something.

It's a weird topic because I find her flaunting of sexuality off-putting, but that's not really something I'm generally against in games. Maybe something about her ridiculous poses appearing on the cover of a Nintendo game so they can say "see? We have a mature game" even though it comes off as the most immature high school shit anyway. In a strange fail-ception.

It's hard to put into words really, but I actually do still want to try it eventually starting with 1.
Just play on pc and put a graphic mod on her.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Just play on pc and put a graphic mod on her.

I find games like this to be very character-driven. Even the special effects on the moves seem to be a reflection of her personality.

Whatever crazy vision they had for this, for better or for worse, I think I will take it at face value when/if I play it.

Robbinhood

Banned
Lul, GoW is not a character action game. Character action games are just offensive combo dialers. I much prefer GoW and Souls games where timing, defense and map awareness come into play, not just smash a guy in the air for 10 minutes while your rank goes up. That shit is played out.

Banned
Lul, GoW is not a character action game. Character action games are just offensive combo dialers. I much prefer GoW and Souls games where timing, defense and map awareness come into play, not just smash a guy in the air for 10 minutes while your rank goes up. That shit is played out.

have you ever played God of War 1, 2, 3 or any of the side games? :)

and also in the God of War reboot games you only need map awareness and timing if you play on the 2 hardest difficulties. otherwise it's just braindead button mashing without any incentive to do anything special, which character action games do by having scores on screen similar to extreme/trend sports games.

character action games aren't only about comboing snd killing enemies, just like in THPS for example you are pushed to use complex combos and use a variety of combos in order to push your score higher. do the same thing too much and the combo meter will drop (unless you play DmC which is dogshit)

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Can someone remind me. How many GOTY awards is Bayonetta nominated for?
Can't say I care too much about "Graphics of the Year awards" when discussing 3D spectacle fighters combat systems.

Bayonetta, Astral Chain, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden among others are a very different kind of beast from GoW(2018) and GoW:R.

The 3rd Person over the shoulder view just ain't for me.

s-bojan

Banned
It was really strange playing Ragnarok right after Bayonetta 3.
B3 is a fun game with a combat that allows you to be creative, which prides itself for being a video game, but looks muddy and performance is awful (I've played it in 480p on my OC hacked switch on the smaller oled tv...you don't want to know how it looks on the 65 one).
R on the other hand is a AAA release that looks nice and feels great to play (HFR mode is a big factor here), but is a safe, focus-tested game that treats you like you are a dumb-ass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom