• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of Logitech & Tencent's new handheld console have leaked.

TLZ

Banned
Tencent can eat my ass
769777.jpg

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Jesus Christ

when people talk about the importance of visual design of a product, this is what they are talking about.

it looks like a cheap toy for kids, not a sophisticated piece of hardware for adults.

Kokoloko85

So you're going to carry your 7 inch phone AND this? No.

Don't forget all those overpowered gaming phones running Android 2, ZTE Nubia, Rog Phone, Razer and others.

This is a cloud gaming device, no one is making handhelds, Steam Deck is a portable PC that can be hooked to a monitor or TV, it's basically a Windows Phone.

I remember Logitech being compared to Madcats for years, and I must have missed when they suddenly got better because you aren't the only comment saying they make quality products.

Steam is a handheld as is the Switch. They are portable gaming devices.
I think others will join in as the tech gets better and better.

Mowcno

Could be great for emulation, but considering it's from a big name brand I imagine it'll be poor value for money compared to something like the Ayn Odin.

thuthu

Neo Member
Don't know if it's better than steam deck?

Everyone is jumping into handheld gaming, Nintendo needs to come up with something new too

Steam is a handheld as is the Switch. They are portable gaming devices.
I think others will join in as the tech gets better and better.

No, Steam is a mobile PC. Or a Handheld PC, not a Handheld traditionally, which Nintendo still has no competition in after the death of life. I mean vita.

I assume it's based on android? So, what are you left playing with this thing? I guess emulators and mobile games. Wonderful, lol.

It's targeting cloud gaming streaming, and are in talks with Geoforce Now and Xcloud.

Don't know if it's better than steam deck?

Everyone is jumping into handheld gaming, Nintendo needs to come up with something new too

Why? They have no competition since Vita died.

Jesus Christ

when people talk about the importance of visual design of a product, this is what they are talking about.

it looks like a cheap toy for kids, not a sophisticated piece of hardware for adults.

Tencent has partnered with hardware that's been aimed at kids and families in Asia for years.

Handheld that runs Android…..it’s called a cell phone you numskulls 😂🤦‍♂️. What is the point of this system?

You need to be a phone to be a cell phone.

It's no different than those netbooks that run android, but this one is supposedly more powerful and is made to handle cloud gaming.

Gambit2483

I know people don't like to give Nintendo credit but c'mon...without the success of the Switch most of this "powerful handheld" stuff wouldn't exist like this...probably.

I know people don't like to give Nintendo credit but c'mon...without the success of the Switch most of this "powerful handheld" stuff wouldn't exist like this...probably.

On the Android front they already existed, they usual aren't powerful because of that, even this isn't really powerful just the hardware material itself is premium but not the specs, it's made for cloud gaming so you aren't going to be doing any heavy lifting with this Logitech handheld.

Steam Deck you may have a point there, though there were continuum devices that weren't phones made in some countries running Windows 10. But Steam Deck specifically probably wouldn't exist. It seems to be doing much better than those Steam machines too so they will be around for some years to come, they already plan on more revisions.

Ozzie666

It works for Steam because people are tied into their Steam libraries, it's a real stroke of genius really. They have an edge not many companies can match, except the big 3 if they so decided.

Are we really going to argue over hand held console vs hand held pc? the lines are beyond blurred, like Switch vs Switch Lite, like Xbox and PS5 are basically just PC's now.

Anyhow this thing seems pretty DOA, maybe they can partner up with Stadia.

Tams

Gold Member
Steam Deck you may have a point there, though there were continuum devices that weren't phones made in some countries running Windows 10. But Steam Deck specifically probably wouldn't exist. It seems to be doing much better than those Steam machines too so they will be around for some years to come, they already plan on more revisions.

UMPCs (including a Fujitsu phone that had an ARM and Intel x86 chip in the same body)
Open Pandora and DragonBox Pyra
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play
GPD
AYA

baphomet

It works for Steam because people are tied into their Steam libraries, it's a real stroke of genius really. They have an edge not many companies can match, except the big 3 if they so decided.

Are we really going to argue over hand held console vs hand held pc? the lines are beyond blurred, like Switch vs Switch Lite, like Xbox and PS5 are basically just PC's now.

Anyhow this thing seems pretty DOA, maybe they can partner up with Stadia.

This is neither a hand held console or a hand held PC.

It's a mobile phone with a controller.

reksveks

I'm good thanks.

Bte8ITT.jpg

V2 kishi is alot better in terms of feel, maybe not worth the full price but if you can sell the v1. I would get it.

I have steam deck, switch, kishi and still kinda want a cloud focused handheld. If the steamdeck had an oled screen then I might be okay.

Jinzo Prime

God, I wish Android didn't suck as an operating system. Having to run everything though a JVM interpreter really slows things down for intense programs like games.

We need an open-source competitor to IOS that runs programs natively on ARM hardware, with support for Vulcan API.

UMPCs (including a Fujitsu phone that had an ARM and Intel x86 chip in the same body)
Open Pandora and DragonBox Pyra
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play
GPD
AYA

Meant machines that you can dock to use as a PC before Switch, Xperia Play and such are android phones.

God, I wish Android didn't suck as an operating system. Having to run everything though a JVM interpreter really slows things down for intense programs like games.

We need an open-source competitor to IOS that runs programs natively on ARM hardware, with support for Vulcan API.

Both those competitors died in 2015 and 2020 respectively.

Problem is a new competitor would need support, and Apple (and lesser Samsung) pay to keep support away leading to quick deaths, maybe a niche if you're lucky.

Tams

Gold Member
Meant machines that you can dock to use as a PC before Switch, Xperia Play and such are android phones.

Both those competitors died in 2015 and 2020 respectively.

Problem is a new competitor would need support, and Apple (and lesser Samsung) pay to keep support away leading to quick deaths, maybe a niche if you're lucky.
So that eliminates exactly one of them.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Switch has opened the gates to console/pc type games on handhelds. Its only up from here for handhelds.
Maybe time MS and Playstation join the handheld market. Everyone else is

Nintendo has murdered PS’s handheld attempts so much its not funny, I seriously doubt they will return. Better for them to just continue releasing games for PC so portable fans can play it on Steam Deck.

Skifi28

"-What's the worst way to experience cloud gaming that is already sketchy?"

"-Crappy mobile and wifi."

"-great, let's build an entire device around that."

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So you're going to carry your 7 inch phone AND this? No.

Don't forget all those overpowered gaming phones running Android 2, ZTE Nubia, Rog Phone, Razer and others.

This is a cloud gaming device, no one is making handhelds, Steam Deck is a portable PC that can be hooked to a monitor or TV, it's basically a Windows Phone.

I remember Logitech being compared to Madcats for years, and I must have missed when they suddenly got better because you aren't the only comment saying they make quality products.

you say it like its a weird thing. many players who play on portable usually carry a phone and a Switch or a Steam Deck.

Logitech G502 gaming mouse is probably the best gaming mouse for PC.

Kokoloko85

Nintendo has murdered PS’s handheld attempts so much its not funny, I seriously doubt they will return. Better for them to just continue releasing games for PC so portable fans can play it on Steam Deck.

Its just an extra market they both can make use of.
Handhelds are now kinda console quality. They don’t need seperate teams to make handheld games now like they did before. Plus with microSD cards, 4 shoulder buttons just make console quality games on the go much easier.

Both Xbox and Playstation can just port there games like Steam Deck is doing. Not saying they will sell more than Nintendo, but its a huge market they can make some money from if done properly.

PSP still sold over 80 million so it wasn’t bad. They can generate a ton of money from just 50-80+ million units being sold

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Could be hot for emulation and Game Pass streaming if the price is right and the specs are good.

Top Bottom