• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images: Starfield looks to me to be the most bold, beautiful and ambitious title on the horizon

Geez some of these replies. Not all that much shown these to be hyped about these days (Dragon's Dogma 2 for me but we've seen nothing), and we have a true epic headed our way.

salt-bae.gif
I was cool with the thread itself but now you're doing too much.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I completely agree with GigaBowser GigaBowser 's OP. The game is spectacularly beautiful, I love the art style and am so impressed with the massive upgrade for character creation, facial animation and NPCs.

For me though, the most impressive thing about this game is not even how beautiful it looks; it's the 100s of hours of unrivaled exploration in a living breathing world where you can interact with everything, large and small stories, random encounters and the decisions you make that actually have an impact on your game.

All of those things are far more important to me than playing small linear cinematic games where the main attraction is oooh, aah look at those graphics - so real look at those blades of grass, or it's as good Pixar. :pie_roffles:

Personally, I want a game that I can play for hundreds of hours and still not want it to end, if it happens to look as good as Starfield that's just a bonus.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I completely agree with GigaBowser GigaBowser 's OP. The game is spectacularly beautiful, I love the art style and am so impressed with the massive upgrade for character creation, facial animation and NPCs.

For me though, the most impressive thing about this game is not even how beautiful it looks; it's the 100s of hours of unrivaled exploration in a living breathing world where you can interact with everything, large and small stories, random encounters and the decisions you make that actually have an impact on your game.

All of those things are far more important to me than playing small linear cinematic games where the main attraction is oooh, aah look at those graphics - so real look at those blades of grass, or it's as good Pixar. :pie_roffles:

Personally, I want a game that I can play for hundreds of hours and still not want it to end, if it happens to look as good as Starfield that's just a bonus.

I honestly would love it to be a good game, but so far from what I've seen the least thing I can say is that it's not for me, like all fallout games before. I can't stomach that level of jankiness.

CatLady

I honestly would love it to be a good game, but so far from what I've seen the least thing I can say is that it's not for me, like all fallout games before. I can't stomach that level of jankiness.
Did you play Fallout on PS or PC? Other than occasional frame drops Fallout4 didn't really have any problems other than looking retarded in 3rd person view on the Xbox 1 and I would imagine it was much better on PC.

You should buy a $1 Game Pass for PC and give it a shot since I know how, contrary to the general GAF consensus, we both love the AssCreed RPGs and Bethesda's are even better.

K2D

Banned
fuuuuuuuuuck YES!!!

cant wait for this game. i have some concerns, as everyone should, bc its bethesda lol. but oblivion, skyrim, fallout 3 and 4 are some of my favorite games of all time and i dont see starfield being any different. the trailer and screen shots have already surpassed my expectations.

the most important questions are how does the game feel, how does it run, is it fun, etc. i wont be able to make those judgements until im actually playing the game of course, but everything theyve shown looks pretty promising (although not perfect, of course).

praying for MS to get into VR one day, or if this does come to PS one day maybe they can put it on PSVR2 (which i will be getting day one). damn good time to be a gamer

If these games stay Xbox exclusive, I'll be forced to fix my gaming pc - hopefully Sony will support pc with their PSVR2. Else I'll have to tinker and dabble with modding, and I hate that part of gaming on PC.

Kev Kev

If these games stay Xbox exclusive, I'll be forced to fix my gaming pc - hopefully Sony will support pc with their PSVR2. Else I'll have to tinker and dabble with modding, and I hate that part of gaming on PC.
yeah im not much of a tinkerer either. maybe one day when i have more time, money and patience. i love he idea of playing any game in VR on PC, but my frustration with PCs in the 90s and 00s is still fresh in my mind

• Strength
Reactions: K2D
Considering the sheer breadth of content this game is going to have, the complex NPC structure and persistent living, breathing worlds that Bethesda brings, I can say without a doubt that this is my most hyped game and perhaps my first true glimpse into next gen. I loved The Outer Worlds and this looks to outdo it in every way imaginable. Even the combat is a huge step up, not to mention the addition of space flight and thousand planets to explore. Forget what they told ya, I think we just may be in for the game of the forever.

e75b65ac449ea08d055658a4c57ad0159e75d9ce.jpeg

4291e3481c6eb8787cc7238d77f63b55e699ebbd.gif

ea9b6bce04b9c0714e36d48c4ba3a34b773f4e31.gif

7399f12b91c73976f9348f9ca9d2c8e9f0a4cf17.gif

38cd0820a52ff26350462445567f0cb87dbfc235.gif

622e6f1acce9c852f2a48ec0ddb26bfb2cdfda7c.gif

fe0402cceda548e3dcfebe44718cd7faa5070be7.gif

5c3cfbef3448c54b569dfc5c636da77c67c7ade8.gif

fde3b28812b1d82b51f673aaac41780f7b97aa29.gif

8f6b9040f3161b938d2172f8a132009051af3e55.gif

42ec4e77819b1bc894e6d53e5f72c0b55f1c9574.gif

b519c18e4f6caf075ec8ad19064131270aaa541d.jpeg

Starfield_02_Cockpit.jpg

Starfield_01_GravJump.jpg

Starfield_03_Destruction.jpg

Starfield_04_Temple.jpg

Thzog4f.jpg

vXLWzCG.jpg

5Zt0R1P.jpg

VWsuFni.jpg

6te0eg3.jpg

3hgh6BL.jpg

opJbzx4.jpg

N022yq6.jpg

UOAdfM4.jpg

h9Plsky.jpg

S81DUK8.jpg

8a0HrDc.jpg

li69I0k.jpg

QenbXka.jpg

6iBJHGL.jpg

Starfield_05_Mountains.jpg

aef460f6b9cdd18e69961b54af5c5473cc01d5e9.jpeg
It's the game of 2023 and possibly the GOTG. Most of the time the word epic is over used for games but in this case it barely does it justice. It may not look next gen (although it looks great) but it's size and scope make it by far the most next gen game we've seen.

Isa

Gold Member
I also think the game looks great. Its not as stylistic art wise as they are going for a more grounded universe, which adds to a certain blandness but I think it still looks good. I like the architectural design and the quality and variety of clothes and armor seem quite varied, in fact all the assets wowed me. Its one of the few western developers that has some ambition left, taking what they've done before and expanding on that. Haters will always hate, looking for anything to rag on or drag it down. That's their fun, mine is playing games and this one looks to be a really good time. Plus jetpacks! And space combat and ship customization! I had an absolute blast with their other titles and most recently FO4. This looks to be far larger in scope. Plus its nice to see a new IP in such a stale industry.

Matsuchezz

The game does not look impressive for a space themed game. And the trailer shown was not even exciting. Characters looks generic and uninspiring, I know they are crafted by players.
The ambition in the game I guess is in the planet density. And for me this futuristic space travel looks old fashioned like it was imagined in the 70s. Like first moon walking stuff.

The game is aimed at Bethesda Fans. I guess

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Did you play Fallout on PS or PC? Other than occasional frame drops Fallout4 didn't really have any problems other than looking retarded in 3rd person view on the Xbox 1 and I would imagine it was much better on PC.

You should buy a $1 Game Pass for PC and give it a shot since I know how, contrary to the general GAF consensus, we both love the AssCreed RPGs and Bethesda's are even better.

Might give it a try then, but not sure if I would. By then I think my gaming PC would turn into a server and go Apple next. I played Fallout 4 for like 4 days and couldn't enjoy a minute in the whole time with it. The game felt too old to my taste and I generally can't play old games. But if it was made on the same engine of Rage 2 that would be fucking big as despite being a mediocre game in story I enjoyed the game fully.

CatLady

Might give it a try then, but not sure if I would. By then I think my gaming PC would turn into a server and go Apple next. I played Fallout 4 for like 4 days and couldn't enjoy a minute in the whole time with it. The game felt too old to my taste and I generally can't play old games. But if it was made on the same engine of Rage 2 that would be fucking big as despite being a mediocre game in story I enjoyed the game fully.
Yeah, I don't know what it is about Rage. I'm usually most interested in a great story and that's NOT Rage, but Id games are just fun.

I also think the game looks great. Its not as stylistic art wise as they are going for a more grounded universe, which adds to a certain blandness but I think it still looks good. I like the architectural design and the quality and variety of clothes and armor seem quite varied, in fact all the assets wowed me. Its one of the few western developers that has some ambition left, taking what they've done before and expanding on that. Haters will always hate, looking for anything to rag on or drag it down. That's their fun, mine is playing games and this one looks to be a really good time. Plus jetpacks! And space combat and ship customization! I had an absolute blast with their other titles and most recently FO4. This looks to be far larger in scope. Plus its nice to see a new IP in such a stale industry.
Unfortunately the the usual suspects are in here trying to downplay this potential masterpiece because its not on their favourite plastic box ( I am a little gutted about that as well).

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Starfield might be good but I can see how it might also get boring while exploring and the combat doesn't look great. We'll see how it pans out

sircaw

Banned
WTF does telefrag mean? I probably don't really want to know do I, you demented carp.
It's when someone goes through a portal and you go in directly after, both players can not occupy the same space, and the first person that enters gets blown to bits.

As you can see, its a BLUE TELEFRAGGING A GREEN(COUGH)
Frag is what old-school Quakers term that was used to say when you killed someone ie, i just fragged your arse or i just got a Frag etc.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Unfortunately the the usual suspects are in here trying to downplay this potential masterpiece because its not on their favourite plastic box ( I am a little gutted about that as well).
The exclusivity situation sucks tbh. But it’s what happens when everybody are hyping up exclusives so much, people should’ve thought about the consequences, I don’t think MS planned it early but when everybody made exclusivity list wars at the console launch I think they felt like they had to do it.
Hopefully PC can become a peaceful place without that noise.

Kokoloko85

Ambitious yes.

Environments look good enough for a big RPG.
Beautiful? Not really. Horizon 2 and Death Stranding look better but I get they are not huge RPG’s.

Faces look not so next gen though. And the animations and gunplay look like they need some work. At times it was so janky I thought it was fake. With those graphics it should be able to run at 60fps

Sometimes combat can be so bad but the rest of the game is so addictive and deep that it can be forgiven. Like Skyrim and KOTOR.
But sometimes I cant be bothered ( Witcher 3 and Fallout 3/4 )

Last edited:

Romulus

Hype check. People need to remember the last time these studios did a great RPG was Skyrim(debatable) or Fallout 3. You're talking about over a decade past their prime. They've done absolutely nothing in over 10 years that warrants hype.
But all they need to do is to market this shit with large vistas and taglines and people will buy it. It can be a terible game and still be a massive success. Bethesda knows that.
That gameplay demo was fucking rough and highly edited. The fact that they couldn't show a smooth slice of gameplay is telling. First, it shows me they're proud of it. Not a good sign. Secondly, how is it youre showcasing footage that you can control and its limited action and struggling to hold an acceptable fps? It looked like something releasing in late 2024. And tbh, 2024 or later might be when the complete game arrives via patches.

There's no Starfield and there's no Star Citizen right now. They're both in active development.

One just looks two generations ahead of the other.
Looks two generations ahead? Obviously you're talking about graphics. Well since you're talking about tech demos The Matrix looks a generation ahead of Star Citizen.

Talking about an actual game then Starfield looks impressive IMO.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
To what? It's a glorified tech demo, there is no game, they'll never be a game. It's nothing more than a concept, I'm presuming you're trolling with your silly comment?

Actually, yes there is a game. Lots of people playing the game every day. It just isn't a finished game.

You're right. Starfield is a game you will be able to play next year.

Star Citizen is a game you can play today.

Topher

Gold Member
You can play the Matrix but it's not a game, you see how silly your comment is? PT could be played but it's not a game, want me to go on? 😉

No, my comment is factual. Go look at all the gameplay videos on Youtube for Star Citizen. Those are not people playing demos. They are playing the unfinished game while it is developed.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I haven't paid any attention and didn't know much about Star Citizen. So, I looked it up and it seems it's been in development for 11 years, and raised over $400Million? And STILL have not released a game? WTF? Scam Citizen is right!

Active development:

Starfield: 7+ years
Star Citizen: 11 years

Star Citizen looks 2 generations ahead.

No, my comment is factual. Go look at all the gameplay videos on Youtube for Star Citizen. Those are not people playing demos. They are playing the unfinished game while it is developed.
What makes it more of a game then? It's got no release date, it's been in development for over a decade, it may as well be classed as a demo.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Looks two generations ahead? Obviously you're talking about graphics. Well since you're talking about tech demos The Matrix looks a generation ahead of Star Citizen.

Talking about an actual game then Starfield looks impressive IMO.

No, I'm talking about the title of the OP.

"...the most bold, ambitious, and beautiful title on the horizon."

Star Citizen is bolder, more ambitious, and more beautiful than Starfield. The only way to defend Starfield is with release dates, but if we're talking about the words used in the title of this thread....it's Star Citizen by a country mile.

Alot of these replies are embarrassing, I can see being apprehensive, but the amount of trolling or fanboying because the game isn't on your console of choice is ridiculous.

Starfield is by far the most ambitious game to come out in a long time and hopefully it lives up to the BGS name.
It’s really not trolling or fanboying. I do commend the ambition absolutely but the combat looked uninspired af and it just looks so trademark Bethesda Fallout esque that I just can’t be hype. I was hype BEFORE seeing it

No, I'm talking about the title of the OP.

"...the most bold, ambitious, and beautiful title on the horizon."

Star Citizen is bolder, more ambitious, and more beautiful than Starfield. The only way to defend Starfield is with release dates, but if we're talking about the words used in the title of this thread....it's Star Citizen by a country mile.
We have already established that Star Citizen is not a game and its certainly not on the horizon of any of the 1000 planets in Starfield 😁

Topher

Gold Member
What makes it more of a game then? It's got no release date, it's been in development for over a decade, it may as well be classed as a demo.

A more appropriate classification is "early access game" as that is how games on Steam are described when gamers can play while the game is developed.

Last edited:
Ambitious yes.

Environments look good enough for a big RPG.
Beautiful? Not really. Horizon 2 and Death Stranding look better but I get they are not huge RPG’s.

Faces look not so next gen though. And the animations and gunplay look like they need some work. At times it was so janky I thought it was fake. With those graphics it should be able to run at 60fps

Sometimes combat can be so bad but the rest of the game is so addictive and deep that it can be forgiven. Like Skyrim and KOTOR.
But sometimes I cant be bothered ( Witcher 3 and Fallout 3/4 )
Death stranding looks great, but outside of character models it most certainly doesn't look better.

Top Bottom