• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images: Starfield looks to me to be the most bold, beautiful and ambitious title on the horizon

Leo9

No, my comment is factual. Go look at all the gameplay videos on Youtube for Star Citizen. Those are not people playing demos. They are playing the unfinished game while it is developed.
Star Citizen is a multiplayer space sim. The single player campaign, Squadron 42, is nowhere to be found.

Kokoloko85

Death stranding looks great, but outside of character models it most certainly doesn't look better.

The environments, moss, waterfalls, rivers, grass and mountains look amazing. Looked better to me so far. As does something like Ghost of Tsushima, characters models arent as good though. Horizon 2 looks better too

Last edited:
The environments, moss, waterfalls, rivers, grass and mountains look amazing. Looked better to me so far. As does something like Ghost of Tsushima, characters models arent as good though. Horizon 2 looks better too
You just listed everything to see haha. I don't think any of those look better, all are lookers for sure though. Those 3 games all have similar art style and it's quite different then starfields.

Kokoloko85

You just listed everything to see haha. I don't think any of those look better, all are lookers for sure though. Those 3 games all have similar art style and it's quite different then starfields.

Nah I wouldnt say the building and interiors are all that impressive compared to other games but the outdoor nature stuff looks amazing in Death Stranding. I dont know how you don’t think Horizon 2 doesnt look better but cool lol

Last edited:
Nah I wouldnt say the building and interiors are all that impressive compared to other games but the outdoor nature stuff looks amazing in Death Stranding. I dont know how you don’t think Horizon 2 doesnt look better but cool lol
That's the only one I hadn't played myself so I can't fully comment. I just know it looks more animated then starfield does so it's not a game I would compare graphically. Honestly fh5 compares to h2 better then starfield

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Star Citizen is a multiplayer space sim. The single player campaign, Squadron 42, is nowhere to be found.
Totally different experience. I don't think the comparison is even warranted. Starfield is going to be about single player questing through space with hundreds if not thousands of living, breathing dynamic NPC's.

Starfield's main quest designer is Will Shen, the guy behind Far Harbor.

If you haven't played through that DLC: the writing there is incredibly well-done. I ended up choosing a different resolution for its main storyline than I had initially planned, which I very rarely do. It's full of incredibly good characters with unexpected depths. Night and day between that and the base game.

This could be something really special.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Totally different experience. I don't think the comparison is even warranted. Starfield is going to be about single player questing through space with hundreds if not thousands of living, breathing dynamic NPC's.

If you haven't played through that DLC: the writing there is incredibly well-done. I ended up choosing a different resolution for its main storyline than I had initially planned, which I very rarely do. It's full of incredibly good characters with unexpected depths. Night and day between that and the base game.

That's great news, Far Harbor was excellent.

Nydius

I'm going to play it because I have Game Pass through late 2024 but the thread title and the OP is pure marketing PR. If OP isn't a Bethesda employee, they should hire them. Or at least give them a free copy of the game for all their hard work doing all the marketing shilling for them.

It looks like a graphically better Fallout 4 in space. Which is... fine. But, so far, it looks like it's lacking the depth of an Elder Scrolls title.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Far Harbor is the best part of FO4 so this is encouraging news.

todd howard forever

KPmSPsc.jpg

darrylgorn

Yeah, it looks incredible to me too. I'm incredibly excited.

When I read so many negative comments, I feel fortunate to not have become so jaded and cynical. I've been gaming since the very beginning, and I often still feel a connection to that child playing on the Atari VCS, and I imagine how he would feel about gaming today. If he saw what we have today in Starfield and *SO* many other games, he'd likely drop dead of awe on the spot.

the-fountain-hugh-jackman.gif

If I felt like so many on gaming forums do, I wouldn't game at all. Happy gamers seem to be a rare breed, or at least a less vocal one.

Because they're too busy playing games instead of complaining about exclusives on platforms they don't own.

[Sigma]

Eh, im not seeing bold nor really beautiful in that trailer at least.
MEDIA=youtube]eyIV36AYgZk[/MEDIA]

yeap, very ambitious and highly advanced

On Gotham I lmao. Yeah, details are not(and are not going to be) this game's strong point, that was quite clear to me watching the trailer the fact that it's Bethesda to begin with(well at least when it's involving Todd).

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
The opinion I value the most is my opinion... and I enjoyed what I saw about Starfield.
It's one of my most expected games for 2023. Very hyped.

42f3c297041f68df59c1a3643da43f85.jpg
In all honesty, and if the trolls would be honest with themselves, it's the most wanted game for virtually everyone. This is going to be a really big game for many people. Hell, it's Bethesda's first new IP in over a decade. No one is trying to miss that event. I don't care how many trolls there are.

KXVXII9X

I'm going to be completely honest, I'm very underwhelmed about this game. And no, I don't have a PlayStation (Mine broke :/). I have a capable PC so I'm not going into this as biased.

I don't think the game will be horrible, but at this stage in my life, I just can't get into these games where they want you to live in them for 50+ hours. I see some comments of these kinds of games talk about "content" and how many hours they can pour into them, and I'm just wondering how fun is that content. What will all of these extra planets give me? How much padding and busywork is in this game?

I look at things like the combat after I play other games where enemies react physically to bullets, call out other NPC's by name, strategize with each other and try to flank you, and interact with other enemies and threats. Then I look at the moment to moment gunplay and I'm not exactly impressed. Things like being able to build your own ship and make your own bases and structures is interesting, but I'm not sure how in depth that goes. It feels a little been there, done that. I'm really going to have to see a lot more before I make any concrete thoughts though. I do kind of like the muted, grounded art direction they are going for though. I usually don't like realism as much, but interestingly this has a distinct style to it. Overall, if this came out before 2017, I would be a lot more hyped.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I remember when everyone got excited for Mass Effect Andromeda.
I enjoyed Mass Effect Andromeda. I recently played through it again and really enjoyed it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Anyway, if Starfield tells a good story I'll be happy. There's so little information on the game that it's hard to get hyped. But they delivered on story with the Elder Scrolls games so I don't have any reason to believe at this point that they won't deliver with Starfield.

Banned
Huh? This is literally the worst and most false narratives out there.

their engine could barely handle Fallout 76 and only could so well after years of patches.
also they never made a single game with gameplay that feels decent. it's always really bad animation work mixed with sub par controls... and now that is stretched to an even bigger game? meaning that every detail of the game will presumably get less attention than in older titles.

OP I said something similarly positive on page one of the announcement thread last week. This game looks incredible to me.

...it was pretty depressing seeing people make hateful, apathetic, and dismissive posts later in that thread. I thought this was a forum to celebrate and be passionate about games, but I guess its human nature. When something gets set on a pedestal then other people are going to try and knock it down.
There hasn't been a single hateful reply in this thread. You have to understand the skepticism though.

Todd Howard, how many times has he been caught lying? Fallout 76 is their most recent game, that's burned a lot of us. F76 still doesn't even have a Series X patch, why? Some terrible monetization has gone on in that game too. Starfield framerate looked really bad and even though there's time before release but a company that can't be bothered to optimize their most recent game (which is a live service no less), can't be trusted when it comes to the performance on Starfield. Thats why a lot of Series X owners are worried there may not even be a 60 fps mode.

Batiman

Banned
Ya I’m pretty hyped. Like I said in another thread, I hope building a crew has some depth because having my own custom ship and crew is something I always wanted. Would really love a fully 3D FTL kinda game if that could somehow work.

That post it looks nice but why did it in motion look really rough, like more than a year away rough. Not just bad quality feeds the 4k one even. I hope it’s great I spent 100’s of hours with some of their past games but I am not so sure about this yet.
The framerate and the lack of your character flinching when getting hit as well as the enemy not reacting to getting shot is very concerning for a game where combat is such a big part of it.

EDMIX

Considering the sheer breadth of content this game is going to have, the complex NPC structure and persistent living, breathing worlds that Bethesda brings, I can say without a doubt that this is my most hyped game and perhaps my first true glimpse into next gen. I loved The Outer Worlds and this looks to outdo it in every way imaginable. Even the combat is a huge step up, not to mention the addition of space flight and thousand planets to explore. Forget what they told ya, I think we just may be in for the game of the forever.

e75b65ac449ea08d055658a4c57ad0159e75d9ce.jpeg

4291e3481c6eb8787cc7238d77f63b55e699ebbd.gif

ea9b6bce04b9c0714e36d48c4ba3a34b773f4e31.gif

7399f12b91c73976f9348f9ca9d2c8e9f0a4cf17.gif

38cd0820a52ff26350462445567f0cb87dbfc235.gif

622e6f1acce9c852f2a48ec0ddb26bfb2cdfda7c.gif

fe0402cceda548e3dcfebe44718cd7faa5070be7.gif

5c3cfbef3448c54b569dfc5c636da77c67c7ade8.gif

fde3b28812b1d82b51f673aaac41780f7b97aa29.gif

8f6b9040f3161b938d2172f8a132009051af3e55.gif

42ec4e77819b1bc894e6d53e5f72c0b55f1c9574.gif

b519c18e4f6caf075ec8ad19064131270aaa541d.jpeg

Starfield_02_Cockpit.jpg

Starfield_01_GravJump.jpg

Starfield_03_Destruction.jpg

Starfield_04_Temple.jpg

Thzog4f.jpg

vXLWzCG.jpg

5Zt0R1P.jpg

VWsuFni.jpg

6te0eg3.jpg

3hgh6BL.jpg

opJbzx4.jpg

N022yq6.jpg

UOAdfM4.jpg

h9Plsky.jpg

S81DUK8.jpg

8a0HrDc.jpg

li69I0k.jpg

QenbXka.jpg

6iBJHGL.jpg

Starfield_05_Mountains.jpg

aef460f6b9cdd18e69961b54af5c5473cc01d5e9.jpeg

Look no disrespect to anyone who's excited for the game because I'm just as hype as you are as it's going to be a day one for me but in my humble opinion I could never say this is the most ambitious title in gaming for just too many factors.

I need you to understand that the very same people who are saying this is the most ambitious are also the same people who are letting us know this is not no man's Sky which is very odd because this game technically speaking is not even actually doing something beyond no man's Sky's concept because if we're going to get loading screens in between the actual planets it means that in some of these areas other titles clearly we're more ambitious and doing some pretty incredible things and I would argue one of the most interesting things about Starfield for me and lots of RPG fans especially people who love bethesda's title is actually that is grounded it is based on Concepts we already had before and understand and even to some degree lesser than the games that even introduce those concept but some of us. Doesn't really matter we're just excited that they're making this concept into something we're going to be interested in playing that doesn't really mean it's the most ambitious ever.

It simply means subjectively to us it is interesting on how everything is put together but in regards to the concept in the features there's nothing here that has never been done before by someone else in better and each individual area or something simply being done by a team we trust.

To me that's good enough because I could at least ground myself with a level of expectation instead of waiting for game to introduce never-before-seen features or something because I think people kind of got into that crazy hype with cyberpunk. Maybe the correct way to Market this game is just letting us know it really is Skyrim in space or something because at least it's not trying to over promised some unrealistic expectation in simply marketing exactly what the game is factually.

I could see the shooting mechanics from Fallout, I could see a lot of the loot system from that as well and I could see the base system similar to the community setup thing for Fallout 4 or you could get those NPCs to join those communities across the Wasteland. So as crazy as it might sound that to me is much more exciting because at least it's not offering this argument as a never before concept but more so as something we're already familiar with.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
In all honesty, and if the trolls would be honest with themselves, it's the most wanted game for virtually everyone. This is going to be a really big game for many people. Hell, it's Bethesda's first new IP in over a decade. No one is trying to miss that event. I don't care how many trolls there are.
So much this for me. I can't tell you how sick I am of single player games that use the Assassins Creed template. I can't wait to sink a few hundred hours into Bethesda's magnum opus space opera.

Look no disrespect to anyone who's excited for the game because I'm just as hype as you are as it's going to be a day one for me but in my humble opinion I could never say this is the most ambitious title in gaming for just too many factors.

I need you to understand that the very same people who are saying this is the most ambitious are also the same people who are letting us know this is not no man's Sky which is very odd because this game technically speaking is not even actually doing something beyond no man's Sky's concept because if we're going to get loading screens in between the actual planets it means that in some of these areas other titles clearly we're more ambitious and doing some pretty incredible things and I would argue one of the most interesting things about Starfield for me and lots of RPG fans especially people who love bethesda's title is actually that is grounded it is based on Concepts we already had before and understand and even to some degree lesser than the games that even introduce those concept but some of us. Doesn't really matter we're just excited that they're making this concept into something we're going to be interested in playing that doesn't really mean it's the most ambitious ever.

It simply means subjectively to us it is interesting on how everything is put together but in regards to the concept in the features there's nothing here that has never been done before by someone else in better and each individual area or something simply being done by a team we trust.

To me that's good enough because I could at least ground myself with a level of expectation instead of waiting for game to introduce never-before-seen features or something because I think people kind of got into that crazy hype with cyberpunk. Maybe the correct way to Market this game is just letting us know it really is Skyrim in space or something because at least it's not trying to over promised some unrealistic expectation in simply marketing exactly what the game is factually.

I could see the shooting mechanics from Fallout, I could see a lot of the loot system from that as well and I could see the base system similar to the community setup thing for Fallout 4 or you could get those NPCs to join those communities across the Wasteland. So as crazy as it might sound that to me is much more exciting because at least it's not offering this argument as a never before concept but more so as something we're already familiar with.
I get your point, but in my eyes, ambition doesn't necessarily mean reinventing the wheel or even keeping up with the Jones' in all categories.

This game is ambitious because it's doing metric ton of everything.

That doesn't necessarily mean it will keep up with games that excel in a few categories in the few categories they excel in. Like, I'm not expecting Doom Eternal level gunplay or No Mans Sky's seamless planet hopping,

but I am expecting:

- Gunplay that's a solid improvement over Fallout 4 and Outer Worlds, and I already had a ton of fun with those games.
- Base and Ship building that far exceeds Fallout 4
- Sprawling environments, some that even appear like Cyberpunk, only with this game we know Bethesda will actually succeed with dynamic npc's and a persistent world that Cyberpunk could only dream of
- Missions and dialogue that have the same strength as those seen as Far Harbour (same quest designer)
- Graphics that exceed every Bethesda game
- Space combat on par with the current industry standard
- Procedural generation that's a step up from anything Bethesda has offered
- Hundreds hours of gameplay

Wrap this all up in one massive package and for me it's easily the most ambitious and exciting game on the horizon. Sure I'm expecting some of the bugs and jank we've come to expect from Bethesda as well, but in the face of the enormity of what they're doing, I'll easily take that over some cookie cutter Assassins Creed template single player experience that has made this industry so stale.

Last edited:
their engine could barely handle Fallout 76 and only could so well after years of patches.
also they never made a single game with gameplay that feels decent. it's always really bad animation work mixed with sub par controls... and now that is stretched to an even bigger game? meaning that every detail of the game will presumably get less attention than in older titles.
if you have to point to a single game to make your point its not good. From morrow wind -fo4 they have made arguably the most immersive and massive games in the industry. FO76 was a misstep yes, but to try and use it as an overall trend of the studio is blatantly wrong. Its not as polished as smaller games animation wise, gunplay wise, but these other games are lacking most of the elements that people go to for bethesda games.

EDMIX

So much this for me. I can't tell you how sick I am of single player games that use the Assassins Creed template. I can't wait to sink a few hundred hours into Bethesda's magnum opus space opera.

I get your point, but in my eyes, ambition doesn't necessarily mean reinventing the wheel or even keeping up with the Jones' in all categories.

This game is ambitious because it's doing metric ton of everything.

That doesn't necessarily mean it will keep up with games that excel in a few categories in the few categories they excel in. Like, I'm not expecting Doom Eternal level gunplay or No Mans Sky atmosphere and planet barging:

but I am expecting:

- Gunplay that's a solid improvement over Fallout 4 and Outer Worlds, and I already had a ton of fun with those games.
- Base and Ship building that far exceeds Fallout 4
- Sprawling environments, some that even appear like Cyberpunk, only with this game we know Bethesda will actually succeed with dynamic npc's and a persistent world that Cyberpunk could only dream of
- Missions and dialogue that have the same strength as those seen as Far Harbour (same quest designer)
- Graphics that exceed every Bethesda game
- Space combat on par with the current industry standard
- Procedural generation that's a step up from anything Bethesda has offered
- Hundreds hours of gameplay

Wrap this all up in one massive package and for me it's easily the most ambitious and exciting game on the horizon. Sure I'm expecting some of the bugs and jank we've come to expect from Bethesda as well, but in the face of the enormity of what they're doing, I'll easily take that over some cookie cutter Assassins Creed template single experience that has made this industry so stale.

You make a solid point. Ambition as in, sum of all parts, getting everything working together, doing a bit of everything, but not redoing the wheel.

In this respect, I do get your point 100%. I do believe its doing many things at once that we've yet to see all in one package with this type of narrative, setting, features etc all wrapped in 1. I also will accept this even with the jank lol I don't know if any game coming out can even match 100% of what this game is trying to do on all fronts. Here is hoping many copy them and we see some healthy competition in this space (pun intended lolz) for those of us who want single player RPGs in space.

Ghost of Caelid Ghost of Caelid agreed. The context is key here, Fallout 76 wasn't bad cause its engine, they had lots of issues with content, many got into it expecting something they never even promised etc. I feel that if they believe this engine fits and they fucking moved record units on many, many titles...who the fuck am I to tell them they need a new engine? THEY make that game, I just play it, if they say they good...DAY GOOD BRUV lol I can't just say they need this or that, I'm just a gamer (concept artist) and don't know if that could help or hurt.

Look at Mass Effect Andromeda, Frostbite is a fucking amazing engine......IN THE HANDS OF PEOPLE THAT KNOW HOW TO USE IT! Just cause its a great engine for DICE, doesn't mean its a great for Bioware. If they feel they work better using an engine they are used to, then so be it.

What is "better" if the fucking team struggles to use it and fucks up the game big time? I'd rather they just use a "dated" engine and get the job done properly. So I'm more hype its using that engine as I feel that they can pull it off as its their tool set, they are familiar with it. Their job then is to just make the best game they can vs fight the engine every day lol I do hope they make a new engine, but I only want that to come when they feel its needed and the team can use the tools effectively.

Last edited:
No, my comment is factual. Go look at all the gameplay videos on Youtube for Star Citizen. Those are not people playing demos. They are playing the unfinished game while it is developed.
Star Citizen is a scam man it cost 45 just to download their unfinished crap they called a game package then you need to shell out more money for stupid ships which cost from 55 to over 2000 it ridiculous lol

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I do get that everyone's tastes are different, but I can't understand how you couldn't have played oblivion, fallout 3 and 4 , skyrim, morrowind and not he hyped for this game.

And you need to forget fallout 76 that wasn't Todd or the main team.

Starfield is going to be huge. I can't wait.

And if you're not a fan of those games, as theres been plenty to know if you like that kind of RPG. I would just move onto something else and not even comment, but thats just me.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Bethesda have not let me down yet, as I play there games mainly for the story.

I do have my expectations in check though, to avoid disappointment.
At this point I kind of exect the space travel aspect to be mainly transport, and you will spend most of you time on the ground, like a fallout game but see between many different planets. Maybe a more realised vision mass effect had.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
And fallout 76…that too was one ambitious game
So ambitious that they gave it to their side studio in Austin while the main studio focused on Starfield. It was originally supposed to be a multiplayer mode for Fallout 4 that became its own game. Elder Scrolls Online was more ambitious since they made a new studio, hiring veterans who worked on MMOs and built there entirely new engine and tech for that game.

Chukhopops

This picture becomes even funnier when you know that the gameplay in Tlou 2 and God of War is several heads higher than in any Bethesda game, and it is the gameplay that makes games games, for your information.
What’s even funnier is that some people really believe that. Not that it makes any sense anyway to compare linear, guided, small-scale games with open world, open-ended and vast games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I enjoyed Mass Effect Andromeda. I recently played through it again and really enjoyed it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Anyway, if Starfield tells a good story I'll be happy. There's so little information on the game that it's hard to get hyped. But they delivered on story with the Elder Scrolls games so I don't have any reason to believe at this point that they won't deliver with Starfield.

Actually ME: Andromeda is one of my best games last gen. I've played it 2 years after release and it was still buggy but overall manageable.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
What’s even funnier is that some people really believe that. Not that it makes any sense anyway to compare linear, guided, small-scale games with open world, open-ended and vast games.
Agree. TLOU and GOW are some of my favourite Playstation franchises but they're at the other end of the spectrum in regards to their complexity.

So many moving parts in a game like Starfield. We really haven't had a game like this in years.

Cyberpunk made the promise but failed spectacularly. With Bethesda you know they are just going to improve, and expand on the living, breathing, persistent worlds they've always created.

Top Bottom